Start by marking “God Is My Broker: A Monk-Tycoon Reveals the 7 1/2 Laws of Spritual and Financial Growth” as Want to Read:

3.86 of 5 stars 3.86  ·  rating details  ·  379 ratings  ·  39 reviews
This is an incredible story. The author, a failed, alcoholic Wall Street trader, had retreated to a monastery. It, too, was failing. Then, one fateful day, Brother Ty decided to let God be his broker--and not only saved the monastery but discovered the 7 1/2 Laws of Spiritual "and" Financial Growth. Brother Ty' s remarkable success has been studied at the nation' s leading...more
Published April 1st 1999 by Harper Perennial (first published 1998)

To ask other readers questions about God Is My Broker, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about God Is My Broker

Mal Warwick
At his best, Christopher Buckley writes breathtakingly hilarious novels. God Is My Broker is one of them.

However, if you’re a devotee of Deepak Chopra, Tony Robbins, Stephen Covey, Dale Carnegie, or one of the many other high-profile self-help gurus who have streaked across the American firmament over the past century, you may not laugh. But who knows? Since Buckley takes on the Catholic Church with equal verve, you might enjoy the book, anyway.

In God Is My Broker, a certain Brother Ty has chuck...more
Ray Hosick
This was perhaps the best book I have ever read. Not only was it funny and quirky, but it introduced me to Christopher Buckley as an author. Anyone who wants a quick read that will have you in stiches should pick up this book.
Jerry Hilts

If you're a long-time fan of Christopher Buckley's, like I am, you'll probably enjoy this novel too. If you're new to Buckley's work, I'd begin elsewhere. It's not that this book isn't good. It's a fun, quick read and well worth the time. It's just that Buckley has been so much better in his other books.

The title of this book might give some people the wrong impression. It has very little to with God and even less to do with investing. It's a satire that pokes good fun at the self-improvement in

Adam Shields
Short review: This is traditionally Christopher Buckley. Great satire, good writing. This time the set up is a group of wine making monks. They realize they are broke and start getting desprerate. The abbot reads Deepak Chopra and decides that the monks need to start following the lead of the self help gurus.

This is a great skewering of self help books, Wall Street, and a bit of the Catholic Church. The best scene is when the monks take up sides with all the different self help gurus and the Ch...more
Larry Brill
This was my introduction to Christopher Buckley. A slim book that is irreverent and just plain funny.
A former stock broker and alcoholic gives up the material world and escapes to the solitude of a monastery. But the monastery is bankrupt and needs financial help. When he stumbles on a vague reference in his prayer book that he sees as a sign from God, it leads him to invest what little money they have in the market. After several mega-successful "tips" from out of the blue, the monastery become...more
Christine
This is a fun story that plays with the self-help genre of literature. At the end of each chapter is one of the 7 1/2 Laws of Spiritual and Financial Growth followed by a Market Meditation and a Prayer. My favorites is includes the ideas of "How many times have I put God 'on hold?', Has God ever put me 'on hold?' Is God ever out of cell phone range?" and "And may I always keep Thy private number programmed on my speed dial." It was written so well I kept asking myself if this really happened or...more
Swanbender2001
Truly a hilarious story. Brother Ty was a down in the gutter, drunk stockbroker who was failing rapidly when he ended up retreating to a monastery. After his requisite two years of silence he finds himself making money for this group of misguided monks hand over fist in the stock market and the story is off and running.
The library has this marked as a business self-help tape; I can't imagine what someone would think if they were in search of that type of help and discovered this instead. I feel...more
Kushal
Light hearted story
Алексей Сулименко
Хорошая книга, в которой поносят книги учащие зарабатывать деньги и некоторые другие постулаты, рекомендую для удовольствия и практической пользы
Patricia Parsons
I have yet to read a Christopher Buckley book that I haven't liked. This was no exception, although it is a bit different from the rest of his novels. Since it's C.B., of course it's a satire, but in this case a satire whose message is a bit more in-your-face. If you are a rabid fan of the how-to-get-rich type book, you need to read this for a dose of reality -- not about money-making, but about those books you love.
Beverly
The Goodreads blurb says it all: "this is an incredible story" - in other words, the satire starts out so low-key that it's marginally credible, and builds. Yet all the quotes from self-help books are (apparently - I didn't check) authentic. At what point, when reading a self-help book, do you say "this is in-credible"?
Jessica
This book was great! Just like all of Buckley's books. At first I wasn't sure whether it was a funny book or a serious one, but I quickly realized that it was a funny one! This book makes fun of all the self help books and it also ties God into the stock market. I can see why it was such a best seller!
YFC
This book is da bomb man. If you are wondering why Anthony Robbin's and other motivational gurus' teachings just can't get to you, read this 'cause it will cure you of those nagging doubts. But beware, after you are finished with this book, there's probably no turning back. Oh, and it's very funny to boot.
MVV
Very wicked satire of the "magical thinking" that inflicts the Joel Osteen school of theology; i.e. God is my Broker. Shows how ridiculous this magical thinking really can be when applied to the business world. A must read for both the faithful and the doubtful.
Hahnenkratt2
This is a weirdly interesting book. Not being catholic, I was able to read without taking offense. Brother Ty has a strange outlook on his life as a monk and the way he relates to his former life as a stock broker. It waqs worth readinf though.
Roman
Brilliant writing, as always, by the humorist/satirist Christopher Buckley. He's one of the very few writers who actually make me laugh out loud while reading. This one's a quick read-- pick it up if you like his style.
Viktor Zakharchenko
Бакли прошелся по всем книгам о саморазвитии, в частности - о "как стать миллионером не вставая со стула" изданиях. Легкое чтиво, наталкивающее на правильное отношение к разного рода книгам с готовыми рецептами.
Brian Jones
Rather cathartic given the rash of "productivity" oriented stuff I've been reading recently, and the slightly non-traditional structure provides Buckley new angles for some pretty clever writing.
David
The conceit is amusing--a Wall Street broker who becomes a monk, so that spiritual self-help and financial self-help get mixed up.

After a few chapters, though, one gets the idea.
Peacegal
Clever parody of everything from religion to get-rich-quick books.
Wesley Holbrook
Hilarious, just like everything else Christopher Buckley has written. He created fantastically likable characters, a great setting, and a fantastic conclusion.
Joe Soria
Quick, humurous book about a monastery gone wild for Deepak Chopra & his self help brethren. Ridiculous. ludicrous, and quite a few potshots at the Catholic Church.
Whitney Hardy
Classic Buckley style about corruption, greed, image, and in this case, satirical self-help advice. Christopher Buckley is consistently funny.
Carol
Fictional satire of all those self-help books promising to make you rich. It's funny, a good book to entertain you for an afternoon.
Artem Huletski
Шах и мат, дешёвые пророки! Просто отличный букет из Каны, возращает вкус к литературе. И юмор не слабее Джерома)
Jun 14, 2007 Laura rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Anyone
This book is hilarious- a must read! The main character is a loveable type A dude- this story is fun:)
Carolyn
Quite funny as all of Christopher Buckley's books are but I like most of his others better.
Joshua Hosea
A good light read. Entertaining and he gets into these waste of time and money self-help people.
Mary Newcomb
A great tale and stunning commentary on the self-help movement.

Liliana Bachelder
Sep 13, 2008 Liliana Bachelder rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: everyone
FUNNY FUNNY FUNNY
great antidote to self improvement books
  • Kesey's Garage Sale
  • Doc: The Rape of the Town of Lovell
  • Busting Loose from the Money Game: Mind-Blowing Strategies for Changing the Rules of a Game You Can't Win
  • The Education of Robert Nifkin
  • Spiritual Economics: The Principles and Process of True Prosperity
  • 25,000 Years of Erotic Freedom
  • Penn and Teller's How to Play with Your Food
  • J. Edgar Hoover: A Graphic Biography
  • Marshal Law: Fear and Loathing
  • The Amazing Adventures of the Escapist: Volume 3
  • Creating Money: Keys to Abundance
  • A Massive Swelling: Celebrity Reexamined as Grotesque Crippling Disease and Other Cultural Revelations
  • Henry and Clara
  • Smoke & Blue in the Face
  • A Fistful of Fig Newtons
  • Pranks
  • The Complete Hothead Paisan: Homicidal Lesbian Terrorist
  • Garfield Minus Garfield
Christopher Buckley graduated cum laude from Yale University in 1976. He shipped out in the Merchant Marine and at age 24 became managing editor of Esquire magazine. At age 29, he became chief speechwriter to the Vice President of the United States, George H.W. Bush. Since 1989 he has been founder and editor-in-chief of Forbes Life magazine.

Librarian Note: There is more than one author in the Good...more
More about Christopher Buckley...
Thank You for Smoking Boomsday Supreme Courtship No Way to Treat a First Lady Losing Mum and Pup