Start by marking “Alfie's ABC” as Want to Read:
Alfie's ABC

Alfie's ABC

3.52 of 5 stars 3.52  ·  rating details  ·  31 ratings  ·  7 reviews
Everyone loves Alfie, and his very own alphabet book Is a sheer delight -- filled with fun and family feeling and irrepressible four-year-old antics.
Published September 1st 1998 by HarperCollins Publishers (first published September 1997)

To ask other readers questions about Alfie's ABC, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Alfie's ABC

David
Alfie's ABC by Shirley Hughes features previous Alfie- related illustrations for each letter of the alphabet. Each page has the letter in lower and upper case.

Hughes' charming illustrations feature Alfie and his friends and family. A picture from previous Alfie or Annie Rose books illustrates each letter. My favorite images are bedtime, door, friends, jacket, neighbors, seaside, and teddies.

This book will most appeal to readers of the Alfie books and fans of Hughes' illustrations. NOTE: W is for
Stephanie Jeanneret
Genre: Alphabet book
Grades: pre k-2

This book is about Alphie which starts with A. There is something that Alphie relates to for each of the the letters. This is a very good book to get students thinking about letters.
Activities: Have the students choose a letter and write a sentence about something that realtes to them using their letter in one of their words, then have the students draw a picture.

Activity:
The studetns could come up with their own words to create the alphabet.
Have the studetn
Mary
Every letter is illustrated with a scene from the story books. A is for Alfie and his little sister Annie Rose. So this book will appeal to readers of this series. Additionally, the words illustrated are not just nouns. D is for drawing, O is for open, R is for reading. Each page has the letter in both upper and lower case. For X, this is one of the few times where xylophone fits in, as a child’s toy.

Randie
I'm guessing that the book would make more sense if I read other Alfie books prior to picking this up on impulse. I am a sucker for ABC books.

Each letter shares something about Alfie. Very cute book.

I want to make an ABC book about my son one of these days :-).
Finny
Mommy says: Finny would not even let me read the first page of this book. ABC books are now too babyish for him, at age 6.
Gail
I'm not in love with the pictures and my 18 month daughter isn't asking for me to reread it to her.
Tricia
classic art style of Hughes using Alfie to share words from the alphabet. girls enjoyed it.
Anne-Marie
Anne-Marie marked it as to-read
Oct 01, 2014
Carrie
Carrie added it
May 15, 2014
Kathy Morgan
Kathy Morgan marked it as to-read
Feb 04, 2014
Julie
Julie marked it as to-read
Dec 08, 2013
Juli-anne Dewit
Juli-anne Dewit marked it as to-read
Oct 09, 2013
Susan
Susan added it
Sep 16, 2013
Shirley Hughes is the illustrator of more than two hundred children’s books and has won many prestigious awards, including the Kate Greenaway Medal twice. She is the author-illustrator of DON'T WANT TO GO! and OLLY AND ME 1 2 3. She lives in London.
More about Shirley Hughes...
Dogger Alfie Gets in First Hero on a Bicycle Ella's Big Chance: A Jazz-Age Cinderella The Big Alfie and Annie Rose Storybook