Start by marking “Redeye: A Western” as Want to Read:
Redeye: A Western

Redeye: A Western

3.42 of 5 stars 3.42  ·  rating details  ·  264 ratings  ·  18 reviews
In a masterful feat of tale-spinning and legend-making, the bestselling author of Raney and Walking Across Egypt has taken his ear for dialogue and his eye for detail to America's Wild West. Set in the turn-of-the-century mesa lands of the Colorado-Utah border, Redeye tells a tale of American expansionism, opportunism, religious fanaticism, and wide-eyed adventure.
Published April 1st 1996 by Penguin Books (first published January 4th 1995)

To ask other readers questions about Redeye, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Redeye

Judi
This is a humorous novel of Quakers, Mormons, Indians, a bounty hunter and his red-eyed dog. The book is styled as a "written guidebook" of the Mesa Largo Tourist Expedition including the complete history of The Eagle City Shootout of 1892. Cleverly the tour we are about to embark takes place in 1905 so it treats the events of 1892 as history. Yet by telling the story only 13 years later allows a naivete that could not be pulled off if one had to speak in our own "modern day" voice. Maybe it's t ...more
John Ashline
This is the first of Clyde Edgerton's novels that I have read. I must admit...I really enjoyed it. It is presented to readers as a pamphlet explaining a trip that the reader is embarking on.

He introduces a cast of characters through some of their own journal entries. These characters all took, at a point in the novel, the same trip the reader is about to take.

On their trip, a first embarking on it, there is a tragedy that is hinted at; a shoot-out. The novel leads to this moment, and doesn't fai
Melissa
I am not really a fan of westerns, but I was browsing the mystery section in the library and fortuitously came across this book, which was mis-shelved (M, W, they are close enough, aren't they?). It takes place in one of my favorite parts of the world, southwestern Colorado. The novel has a little bit of everything: history, archeology, romance, humor, economics, technology, medicine. Despite the fact that the catalyst of the book's events is the horrific Mountain Meadows massacre, the book mana ...more
Sam Slaughter
While the writing itself is fine, everything else about this book is poorly done. Edgerton does not create any emotional investment in his characters and, for much of the novel, the plot is thrown at you like a Pollack painting.
Michael Economy
Jan 12, 2009 Michael Economy rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Michael by: Meg
I think this was the only book that was assigned reading in high school that I remember enjoying. It also wasn't directly assigned, the teacher gave us a list of books or authors (don't remember) and since I didn't know any of them I showed my mom and she picked one.

It was pretty cool cause before that point I guess I really didn't know that i could really enjoy reading the same kinds of books as my mom (we still maintain very different tastes in books, but there is some overlap).

That said... I
Clifford Henderson
Love this small town stuff. He gets it just right, too.
Sacha
Easy, fast read. Tom Robbins-esque.
Beki
Entertaining read. Great use of multiple voices to tell an ever-revealing story. Unreliable narrators abound. Gets a bit slow in places, but is carried through by interesting and unique characterizations. Not at all a "typical" western, but worth reading if for no other reason (and there are other reasons) than to see a "literary" treatment of genre conventions in a way that honors the genre rather than rendering them (the conventions, not the genre) unreadably boring.
Katrina
This is set up like the reader is going on an expedition and in between gives the history of what previously occurred at the expedition site. Talks about the early days of mortuary science, mormon wars, and the early explorations of the cliff dwellings out in the desert--all with a humorous twist.
Gina
I've read virtually everything Clyde Edgerton has published, and Redeye is in the top 3. He nails the coupling of Faulknerian voicing coupled with dirt farm banter. My favorite chapter is writtten in Redeye's own words...
Deanndra Hall
This was the very first Clyde Edgerton book I ever read. I don't know how I made it all the way through - I laughed until I hurt. I still laugh when I think about the Chinaman! If I could give this book ten stars, I would.
Phhornbuckle
As a huge Edgerton fan, I am a little puzzled and disappointed in Redeye. Edgerton took a serious topic and handled it in a statically, but not always successfully witty, manner. A slow read.
Richard
My father in law suggested I might like this often humorous western that features Mormons and is somewhat related to the Mountain Meadow Massacre. He was right.
Rae
An amusing, almost anecdotal, look at the Mountain Meadows Massacre aftermath and the discovery of Mesa Verde. Very tongue-in-cheek stuff here.
Marvin
Edgerton's keen eye for the vagaries of southern culture are wasted in this Western. & there's not much else to recommend it.
Mark
I like Clyde Edgerton.
This is one of his more quirky books. Not quite sure what to make of it.
Anne
a sometimes funny western with a mean dog with one red eye
Kate Sweeney
People embalm on a kitchen table. As people once did.
Stephanie Arnold
Stephanie Arnold marked it as to-read
Oct 24, 2014
dianal. hargrove
dianal. hargrove marked it as to-read
Sep 09, 2014
Mark
Mark marked it as to-read
Sep 06, 2014
B'burg Linda
B'burg Linda marked it as to-read
Aug 04, 2014
  • Incident at Twenty-Mile
  • Shakespeare Stories
  • The Return (Voyagers, #4)
  • Come as You Are
  • The Memoirs of Elizabeth Frankenstein
  • Me and My Baby View the Eclipse
  • Roget's Thesaurus of English Words and Phrases (Reference Books)
  • The Day the Cowboys Quit
  • Power & Beauty: A Love Story of Life on the Streets (Power & Beauty, #1)
  • The Unseen 2 (The Unseen, #3-4)
  • Sisters of Isis: Volume 1 (Sisters of Isis, #1-2)
  • Remember Ben Clayton
  • The Truth About Sparrows
  • Haunted Destiny (Midnight Dragonfly, #1.5)
  • The She
  • Fearless / Sam / Run
  • Bitten (Dangerous Girls, #1-2)
  • Elvis Presley (Unseen Archives)
Clyde Edgerton is widely considered one of the premier novelists working in the Southern tradition today, often compared with such masters as Eudora Welty and Flannery O'Connor.

Although most of his books deal with adult concerns--marriage, aging, birth and death--Edgerton's work is most profoundly about family. In books such as Raney, Walking Across Egypt, The Floatplane Notebooks, and Killer Dill
More about Clyde Edgerton...
Walking Across Egypt Raney The Bible Salesman The Floatplane Notebooks Lunch at the Piccadilly