Start by marking “Flying Sorcerers” as Want to Read:
Flying Sorcerers

Flying Sorcerers

3.94 of 5 stars 3.94  ·  rating details  ·  1,719 ratings  ·  17 reviews
Read and loved by millions, these masters of wit entertain us with hilarious stories exploring one of our oldest fantasies -- the ability to fly.
Mass Market Paperback, 304 pages
Published November 1st 1998 by Ace (first published 1997)

To ask other readers questions about Flying Sorcerers, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Flying Sorcerers

Katie
Old sci-fi & fantasy is interesting to read in that it often has a completely different feel to it than more modern pieces. This is a collection of short stories, including one by Terry Pratchett (and the reason why I picked this up). I enjoyed it, but I've found that these types of books are best for discovering new authors, rather than amazing you with their stores. There are some gems, but some that aren't as exciting. So, read it if you'd like to explore old-school writers & potentia...more
Monika
lekkie i przyjemne historyjki!
Max Ostrovsky
Less funny "ha ha," and more funny "huh."

Stanislaw Lem makes the entire book worth reading. Even though it's a collection and sure, you could just read the one Lem story, the comparison to everything else in the book only makes it stand out as spectacular that much more.
Of course, there were other truly great stories, but the Lem story so overshadows everything else, it deserves mention. The Clarke story is also very impressive.
Sherlock Holmes in space did want me to smack my head, but it was...more
Ana Vicente
Marvyn Peake's "Danse Macabre" is lovely, but I have no idea why it's included in a collection of comic SF&F stories, and the same with Angela Carter's "The Lady of the House of Love" - while some of the other stories are not necessarily comic in nature, they all have humorous element, but not so much with these two.

Piers Anthony's "Possible to Rue" is probably my favourite of all the stories in this book, it starts like a nice little bit of domesticity and then whams you right in the parad...more
I really wanted to like this book because it's a compilation of short fantasy stories from some of my favorite authors, like Terry Pratchett and Roald Dahl, but it wasn't to be. Some of the stories were good, some were just weird, and some were sketchy, and eventually enough were sketchy enough (plus the book was due) that I returned it to the library. I was able to get about 3/4 of the way through it though.

Side note: Something I thought was weird was the editors's note that said that they chos...more
Chris
This collection is a mixed bag. In fact, I only liked one of the stories in the third section. It was "From Gustible's Planet".

Part of the poem is that Haining seems to be using the terms "fantasy" and "comic" very boardly. Wodehouse's story, "A Slice of Life" is funny, but it isn't really fantasy. "Danse Macabre" by Peake is a really good spooky story, but it's not funny (neither is the story "Roaches" for that matter).

There are some good stories though. "Turntables of the Night" by Terry Pratc...more
Zuzana
Tuto knížku jsem si koupila za 1 euro na Slovensku, protože mě při přečtení obsahu praštila do očí jména Terryho Pratchetta, Michaela Moorcocka a Arthura C. Clarka. Začala jsem tedy číst. A musím konstatovat, že:

Některé příběhy byly skvělé a velice jsem se u nich bavila,
jiné mě moc nenadchly,
si už nepamatuji,
je to kniha plná prací skvělých autorů (no kdo by to byl čekal?).

Zvláště jedné povídce jsem nemohla odolat a díky příhodnému úkolu do školy jsem vytvořila pět ilustrací (povedly se asi jen...more
Lindsay
I found the quality of these stories varied a bit, although there were some I quite enjoyed and some of the ideas were pretty interesting. I thought the final story was a good way to end the book.
Ryan McArthur
So far I haven't finished this, but the only thing that raised a chuckle was PG Wodehouse. Even Terry Pratchett's one wasn't as good. I'll read it to the end, but don't hold out much hope so far....
Tom Britz
These stories, some of which have nothing to do with Sorcerers or Flying, are not stories that stick with you. This is not one of the better anthologies out there.
Shanti Hofshi
A collection of short SF stories, but not really the best works I've seen by the included authors, or at least the ones I'm familiar with.
Robert Priddle
Collection of short stories. I would have to give it another go.
Gavin
A collection of fantasy short stories, good bad and indifferent.
David Melbie
Dec 26, 2010 David Melbie rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Anyone!
Recommended to David by: Picked myself
Lots of cool, funny stories in this book. I loved it!
Lera
OK. Got from a bookswap, not a keeper.
Henk le Roux
Henk le Roux marked it as to-read
Sep 29, 2014
Chris Bissette
Chris Bissette marked it as to-read
Sep 23, 2014
Swampcastle
Swampcastle marked it as to-read
Sep 23, 2014
Ariel
Ariel added it
Darcy
Darcy added it
Sep 21, 2014
Sara Andersson
Sara Andersson marked it as to-read
Niklas Weber
Niklas Weber marked it as to-read
  • The Mammoth Book of Comic Fantasy
  • The Wyrdest Link: A Terry Pratchett Discworld Quizbook
  • The Discworld Almanak: The Year of the Prawn
  • Legends Volume 2
  • My Favorite Fantasy Story
  • Discworld Companion
  • Expecting Someone Taller
Peter Alexander Haining (April 2, 1940 – November 19, 2007) was a British journalist, author and anthologist who lived and worked in Suffolk. Born in Enfield, Middlesex, he began his career as a reporter in Essex and then moved to London where he worked on a trade magazine before joining the publishing house of New English Library.

Haining achieved the position of Editorial Director before becoming...more
More about Peter Haining...
The Wizards of Odd The Mammoth Book of Haunted House Stories The Mammoth Book of Modern Ghost Stories Doctor Who: A Celebration; Two Decades Through Time and Space Sweeney Todd: The Real Story of the Demon Barber of Fleet Street