Start by marking “Water Wars: Drought, Flood, and the Politics of Thirst” as Want to Read:
Water Wars: Drought, Flood, and the Politics of Thirst

Water Wars: Drought, Flood, and the Politics of Thirst

"This is a wonderful book, a wake-up call of startling clarity and insight, with a flood of facts and anecdotes that place the abstract into riveting human perspective. I will never turn on the rap again without thinking about where water comes from and where it goes." (Ken Burns, producer and director of the Civil War, Baseball, and Jazz documentaries.)

The story of wate
Published August 5th 2002 by Riverhead Hardcover (first published 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Water Wars, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Water Wars

The Great Thirst by Norris Hundley, Jr.Cadillac Desert by Marc ReisnerWater Wars by Vandana ShivaWater by Alice OutwaterThe Atlas of Water by Maggie Black
Global Citizenship: Water
10th out of 36 books — 9 voters
Politics by AristotleMeditations by Marcus AureliusSexual Politics by Kate MillettMachiavelli's The Prince by Niccolò MachiavelliPrimary Colors by Anonymous
Theory, Politics, etc
96th out of 101 books — 2 voters

More lists with this book...

DoctorM
Jul 10, 2009 DoctorM rated it liked it
Shelves: environment
A good introduction to water issues, and one that focuses not just on privatisation issues or concerns over depleted resources, but looks as well at the "other" water wars--- the struggle to preserve places like the Netherlands and Venice, and that looks at irrigation projects not just as a priori environmental sins, but as efforts, even if misguided or badly done, to feed populations and sustain life. Rather light on technical or scientific background, but a balanced general introduction.
Andy
Jan 13, 2014 Andy rated it liked it
More about water but the interesting thing, at least for me, is that Ms Ward did not rehash many of the well know battles - Cochabamba, bottled water, French multi-nationals, etc. The stories are all too familiar for people who follow water issues - poor planning, dams and water projects that do more harm than good, and flooding. Talking with experts and "normal" people alike make this book very readable and for those not immersed in the subject.
Christopher
Sep 19, 2015 Christopher rated it really liked it
A wide overview of how humans have shaped Earth's waterways. While trying to make life better for humans, though, we have made a mess of the Earth's natural systems.
Bea
Mar 15, 2011 Bea rated it liked it
It was interesting to read this book right after 'Pillar of sand." There are lots of over-lapping ideas. This book is rather general and would have been improved with some maps and graphics. There is a lot of information about a large variety of water issues in the world. However, I think the title is pretty misleading - it just talks about issues and how people are working (or not) on solving the issues.

I felt more like this book was a series of anecdotes of issues around the word than a cohes
Michael
Jul 06, 2015 Michael rated it really liked it
I’m very glad I read this. While I felt I knew a little bit about what was going on with water in the world, the recent drought in California drew me to pick up this book. Wow. There is so much I didn’t know about water and it’s role in the world. From writing about drought in California, to dams in India, to flooding in Bangladesh, the author opened my eyes to both what is going on and what questions and issues need to be thought about in responding to these concerns.
Chris
Jan 10, 2008 Chris rated it really liked it
Recommended to Chris by: Yara Tethys
A quite interesting and well-written piece of nonfiction, I read this before the global warming thing really came to be in focus. Much of the information presented here about the use of water for energy amazed me, as well as the depressing facts about how much coal is still used in the world. Of course, it might be different to read it post-Inconvenient Truth- now that people talk about these things all of the time.
Carrie
Interesting to learn about the water conflicts that are plaguing the modern world. I first started reading this book in 2004 but finally picked it up again in 2009...it's a little outdated now in the context of global warming and such, but still worth your time.
Kristi

Good read~living in the Great Lakes this is informative. Also read National Geographic's Water - a Thirsty World.
Will make you think again
Michelle
Jul 24, 2011 Michelle rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-biology
A very interesting and prescient book.
Bonnie Jeanne
Water Wars by Diane Raines Ward (2003)
Elena
Mar 30, 2007 Elena rated it really liked it
comprehensive, well-written book
Gnana Suria
Gnana Suria marked it as to-read
Sep 19, 2016
Tanvi Lad
Tanvi Lad rated it really liked it
Sep 18, 2016
Charles Dove
Charles Dove marked it as to-read
Sep 11, 2016
Roberto
Roberto marked it as to-read
Aug 29, 2016
Rachael
Rachael marked it as to-read
Aug 08, 2016
deconstructed
deconstructed marked it as to-read
Jun 26, 2016
Victoria
Victoria marked it as to-read
Jun 24, 2016
Rochelle
Rochelle marked it as to-read
Jun 09, 2016
Heather
Heather marked it as to-read
Jun 03, 2016
Adam
Adam marked it as to-read
May 05, 2016
Miranda
Miranda rated it it was amazing
May 05, 2016
Elizabeth
Elizabeth rated it it was amazing
Mar 15, 2016
Spencer
Spencer is currently reading it
Mar 10, 2016
UM Yut
UM Yut marked it as to-read
Mar 09, 2016
Nina
Nina marked it as to-read
Feb 17, 2016
Eagan
Eagan marked it as to-read
Jan 30, 2016
Aaron Wong
Aaron Wong rated it liked it
Dec 31, 2015
Wed
Wed marked it as to-read
Nov 04, 2015