Start by marking “Living Terrors: What America Needs to Know to Survive the Coming Bioterrorist Catastrophe” as Want to Read:

3.42  ·  Rating Details  ·  65 Ratings  ·  9 Reviews
America is one killer organism away from a living nightmare that threatens all we hold dear....

A deadly cloud of powdered anthrax spores settles unnoticed over a crowded football stadium.... A school cafeteria lunch is infected with a drug-resistant strain of E. coli.... Thousands in a bustling shopping mall inhale a lethal mist of smallpox, turning each individual into a
Published October 9th 2001 by Delta (first published 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Living Terrors, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Living Terrors

Malachi Mojica
Jun 06, 2012 Malachi Mojica rated it really liked it
I read this is as research for a zombie book that I'm writing, but obviously this is good stuff to know regardless and I'm shocked that there aren't more reviews. I read this in order to learn more about what would happen during a bioterrorism disaster and how the government would respond, and not surprisingly virtually every book about zombies or some sort of viral outbreak is way off base if not entirely made up. I know that by writing the book I'm working on, I'll be able to raise awareness o ...more
Celina
Aug 24, 2012 Celina rated it liked it
I picked up this book to read as research for a book I'm writing, fully expecting to be disturbed by what I found therein. After a summer of reading Richard Preston though, I discovered that this book offered little in the way of new or frightening information. The particular copy I had was published in 2000, so it felt a little outdated in light of the subsequent wars on terror of the last decade.

That said, I think it would be a perfect introduction to the world of biological threats for someon
Katie
Nov 26, 2014 Katie rated it liked it
Interesting read, but outdated, as it was written pre-9/11/01. Particularly informative of the USA's biosecurity mindset at that time.
Alan
Feb 05, 2008 Alan rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: emergency managers / school administrators / public health professionals
This book was my "use case" when I worked as a readiness planner.

Remarkably, it was the smallest book on my shelf and the biggest help.

If you are concerned about bioterrorism, this is where you should start. Honest scenarios that make you stop and think about what who handles our food, where we shop, and what we really know about the people we fear.

good stuff
Alex Lasky
Feb 29, 2016 Alex Lasky rated it liked it
Shelves: science
Having been written in the pre-9/11 era, this book would have been a 5 star if it wasn't so out of date. Even so, it still provides excellent information on the subject of bioterrorism as well as providing entertaining fictional accounts of potential bioterror acts.
Steven Raszewski
Dec 27, 2013 Steven Raszewski rated it liked it
Read a while ago, a bit dated.
Rick Vickers
Aug 28, 2013 Rick Vickers rated it really liked it
I don't know if I'll ever be able to eat at a salad bar again and that's just one incident!
Chris
Apr 04, 2013 Chris rated it liked it
Unlike other books in this genre, this one was far too dry for my taste, and I never finished it.
Corky
Feb 20, 2009 Corky added it
How very easy this type of terroristm would be.
Tonya Burrows
Tonya Burrows is currently reading it
Aug 22, 2016
Kristi
Kristi marked it as to-read
Jul 10, 2016
Dawn
Dawn marked it as to-read
Jun 05, 2016
Sue Daul
Sue Daul rated it really liked it
May 28, 2016
Mel
Mel marked it as to-read
Apr 14, 2016
Ernest Hilbert
Ernest Hilbert rated it liked it
Apr 02, 2016
Mike Lichtenberg
Mike Lichtenberg marked it as to-read
Feb 02, 2016
Meriah Romines
Meriah Romines is currently reading it
Jan 07, 2016
Michael
Michael rated it liked it
Dec 30, 2015
Kauz
Kauz marked it as to-read
Jun 01, 2016
Nadine Carlson
Nadine Carlson rated it liked it
Dec 01, 2015
Laurie Sutor
Laurie Sutor rated it liked it
Nov 15, 2015
Erik Dalgleish
Erik Dalgleish is currently reading it
Nov 08, 2015
Janan
Janan marked it as to-read
Oct 05, 2015
Dale Smith
Dale Smith rated it really liked it
Jun 13, 2015
John Dahle
John Dahle rated it it was amazing
May 05, 2015
LION POLES, M.D.
LION POLES, M.D. marked it as to-read
Mar 29, 2015
Kristi
Kristi rated it really liked it
Mar 27, 2015
Ellie
Ellie marked it as to-read
Mar 12, 2015
Alex
Alex rated it really liked it
Jan 21, 2015