Start by marking “Gone From My Sight: The Dying Experience (The Dying Experience)” as Want to Read:
Gone From My Sight: The Dying Experience (The Dying Experience)

Gone From My Sight: The Dying Experience (The Dying Experience)

Shows some signs of wear, and may have some markings on the inside. 100% Money Back Guarantee.
Pamphlet, 14 pages
Published January 1st 1986 by Barbara Karnes

To ask other readers questions about Gone From My Sight, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Gone From My Sight

rdmickey1989
May 01, 2012 rdmickey1989 rated it really liked it
We were given a copy of this while my husband's father was in palliative care during the last week of his life.

I read the small book many many times over the final days. I understand that everyone steps to the end are different, but this was such a great resource for my husband and I. Many things I could relate to and we lived through.

Two years later, I am looking for the book to give my mother as hospice has been called in for my grandmother.

Worth every penny.
Tom Schulte
May 20, 2017 Tom Schulte rated it really liked it
Thoughtfully and respectfully written, this slim chapbook contains an RN's carefully considered experience on the dying experience; physiologically and behaviorally. There is real value here for someone confronted with an unfamiliar experience of a loved in hospice.
Zweegas
May 19, 2009 Zweegas rated it liked it

When you're facing something like this and you feel so directionless, you need something simple, plain, logical like this booklet to get a handle on the situation, to lay steady groundwork when nothing makes sense. Some people try religion. Some need other or supplemental information or points of view instead of or in addition to religion. I don't know if the things it says are true, but this booklet was there for me when I needed it. I identified some of the things it said with my loved one's p
Vannessa Anderson
Dec 17, 2013 Vannessa Anderson rated it it was amazing
Shelves: nonfiction
Gone From My sight was an important and informative read that educated readers concerning the dying experience. Gone From My Sight contained nothing but the facts from a Registered Nurse who had probably witnessed many deaths. Gone from My Sight will be helpful to those who want to understand when it is time to let go of their love ones because they will know what it looks like.
Nancy
Feb 14, 2015 Nancy rated it it was amazing
This is a short pamphlet style of book which succinctly explains the dying process for people who have not witnessed death before. As a social worker, I use this book on a regular basis to give to families on hospice care to explain the process.
Nozomi
May 22, 2009 Nozomi rated it really liked it
Shelves: own
Henry van Dyke's short story, which this pamphlet was named for, makes it worth it.
Jennifer Morefield
Jun 19, 2017 Jennifer Morefield rated it it was amazing
My mother was diagnosed w/Alzheimer's disease awhile back. The day after Easter, she had a stroke. She was evaluated for a week in the hospital and doctors discovered that she has metastatic colon cancer that has moved to her lungs. She returned to her home with hospice care waiting for us. She was given months to live. She is passing to the later stages of the death process and will not be with us much longer. I have appreciated this book. It has helped me understand the death process more and ...more
Tanya Harrison
May 04, 2015 Tanya Harrison rated it it was amazing
Difficult book to read when you have a loved one who will soon experience this process. But it gave the facts in a very respectful manner so that you could prepare yourself for what is soon to come. I appreciate having this book to comfort me when I have questions about what is happening to my loved one.

Recent update...this book also helped my Mother. The hospice nurse urged her to read it the night before my Father died. Because of this book she was able to say goodbye to her husband and have h
Elizabeth
Jun 12, 2014 Elizabeth rated it it was amazing
As a hospice nurse we supply this book to our families who have loved ones who are terminally ill. I cannot tell you how invaluable this little book is. It answers alot of the tough questions families do not know how to ask. It is honest and gives a time line of the symptoms one will experience when getting close to passing away. I always hear the same things from my families " I wish I had known about this book sooner then I would of realized more of what was taking place with so and so." This ...more
Kristen
Nov 13, 2010 Kristen rated it really liked it
Shelves: informational
The most amazing part of this short book was the ending poem by Henry Van Dyke. I suggest everyone read it! Van Dyke likens one that is dying to a ship sailing away into the distance. On the horizon, the ship seems to disappear, but really it is not gone. It is still sailing, just out of our sight. What we can't see is that there are others awaiting it on a different shore, shouting "here she comes!" And as Van Dyke says, "that is dying." What a beautiful image.
Cheri Raye
Here is what i will say about this pamphlet, READ it if you have a loved one dying. This book deserves 5 stars as it prepares the ones left to live without their loved ones.
I dont feel it lacks anywhere it gives you the basics and from there you can deal with each part of the death process.
It is wonderfully written and sensitively put together. I recommend it to anyone who has someone they love dying from whatever cause.
shelly
Jun 10, 2013 shelly rated it it was amazing
Shelves: i-recommend-this
This was extremely helpful, as we sat with my dad who passed away in hospice a few weeks ago. Even if you're not in the situation, this book is extremely insightful to understanding death and the process of dying.
Donnabear79
Jan 27, 2014 Donnabear79 rated it it was amazing
An extremely helpful and insightful book for anyone caring for a loved one with a terminal illness. My husband and I have recommended it several times after it was given to us during my mother in law's battle with breast cancer.
Ralph Dinsmore
Aug 16, 2010 Ralph Dinsmore rated it it was amazing
Excellent informative booklet makes good sense for family watching loved one decline by natural causes. Reverse of the amazing birth growth process. Last year she was as a child, now an infant. Let her work it through. She is uncomplaining and not a problem. We love you Mom.
Annabelle
I think this is a helpful little booklet, especially those like myself who have little to no experience with death or dying. It lays out what some of the indicators are as people reach different stages in the dying process.
Kathleen
Apr 17, 2016 Kathleen rated it it was amazing
I was given this book when my grandma went into hospice. I read many times over the five days she was there. it was comforting and helped prepare me for grandma's death.
Deborah
Jan 31, 2017 Deborah rated it it was amazing
Beautiful book, so helpful when the caregiver for someone who is dying. The simple language offers comfort to those that are dying and those that are losing someone.
Angela
Jul 06, 2011 Angela rated it it was amazing
a much needed guide for the uninitiated caregiver about what to watch for and expect from a loved one's dying process.
Judy
Dec 18, 2009 Judy added it
helpful to share and give anticipatory guidance
❀Aimee❀ Just one more page...
Small pamphlet from author in Depoe Bay, OR. Explains several aspects of the dying process. Five minute read but really good.
Francie Grice
Francie Grice rated it it was amazing
Jan 31, 2016
Anmarie Maier
Anmarie Maier rated it liked it
Sep 14, 2015
Kristin
Kristin rated it it was amazing
Jan 15, 2013
Rhonda Campbell
Rhonda Campbell rated it it was amazing
Jan 09, 2013
Sean P
Sean P rated it liked it
Apr 01, 2013
Amanda
Amanda rated it it was amazing
Dec 06, 2012
Donna Jerman
Donna Jerman rated it it was amazing
Jan 06, 2014
Marina
Marina rated it it was amazing
May 29, 2017
Cari Berry
Cari Berry rated it it was amazing
Aug 02, 2015
Robin Leonard
Robin Leonard rated it it was amazing
Sep 09, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 next »
  • Kaplan & Sadock's Synopsis of Psychiatry: Behavioral Sciences/Clinical Psychiatry
  • Desk Reference to the Diagnostic Criteria From DSM-IV-TR
  • An Elementary Textbook of Psychoanalysis
  • Introducing Emotional Intelligence: A Practical Guide
  • The Stammering Century
  • Dionysus: Myth and Cult
  • Overcoming Autism: Finding the Answers, Strategies, and Hope That Can Transform a Child's Life
  • Mindblindness: An Essay on Autism and Theory of Mind
  • Raising Children Compassionately: Parenting the Nonviolent Communication Way
  • Language and Myth
  • The Essential Family Guide to Borderline Personality Disorder: New Tools and Techniques to Stop Walking on Eggshells
  • The Human Predator: A Historical Chronicle of Serial Murder and Forensic Investigation
  • Jung's Map of the Soul: An Introduction