Start by marking “The Wisdom of Ptah-Hotep: Spiritual Treasures from the Age of the Pyramids and the Oldest Book in the World” as Want to Read:

Egyptologist, essayist and novelist, Christian Jacq is one of the most widely read authors in the world. Here, he presents a new vision of one of the pillars of Egyptian wisdom and the key to an era of rich spirituality which has much to offer. Ptah-Hotep was a philosopher and leading statesman in the Egypt of 2400 BC. Having reached the great age of 110 he decided to pass ...more
Published September 13th 2006 by Basic Books (first published March 1st 1993)

To ask other readers questions about The Wisdom of Ptah-Hotep, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Wisdom of Ptah-Hotep

Greg Frucci
Apr 29, 2013 Greg Frucci rated it it was amazing
Shelves: wisdom
"If you want to behave well, free yourself from the grip of all evil and fight any sign of greed. Greed is an incurable, fatal sickness with no remedy. It infects fathers, mothers, and mothers' brothers; it separates wife from husband, Greed is the coming together of all kinds of evil and contains everything that is hateful." -- Maxim 19 "On greed, an incurable sickness"
This was witten over 5,000 years ago and is not about any one Relgion. The wisdom is for all Humanity and applied to everyday l
Seamus
Oct 07, 2008 Seamus rated it really liked it
These maxims provide as great a guide to life now as they did several thousand years ago when they were written. I think the world would be a better place if we would all study Ptah-Hotep's wisdom and apply it in our daily lives.
NaomiRuth
So glad I found this book at Too Many Books on Grandin Street in Roanoke VA. It is one that I have underlined and read some of the Maxims twice. I love that it includes the hieroglyphs in the back. Once I (if I ever) learn Egyptian I will be able to take a look at the original, which I love so much. The notes were illuminating. The format was easy to read. A wonderful look into the past. Gave me a much better feel for life back in Egypt. A book I will definitely need to read again and again.
Kendrick Smith
Jan 21, 2015 Kendrick Smith rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Knowing that the light has always come from the east , one can see how these teachings from Ancient Kemet have heavily influenced the major western systems of world. So when reading the teachings of Ptah-Hotep it is easy to recognize the resemblance of the wisdom books of the Bible. This is a great book to read for a daily devotion and to keep one traveling on the right path.
Drkim46
Dec 12, 2012 Drkim46 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: dr-kim-s-reads
This was an exceptional quick read. Although many of the principals mentioned are common sense to me, these were principals that Egyptians lived by. This book is a must read for everyone. With so much happening in the world today it appears that many of these spiritual principals are forgotten. It is my recommendation that this book be used as a reference.
S.o.ull
Sep 30, 2007 S.o.ull rated it it was ok
This was an interesting book. I did'nt learn much more than a different view of life, in time and location.
Leanne
Leanne marked it as to-read
Sep 21, 2016
Rajbir
Rajbir marked it as to-read
Sep 14, 2016
Aidan Myers
Aidan Myers marked it as to-read
Sep 06, 2016
Dee
Dee added it
Aug 05, 2016
Andrew
Andrew rated it really liked it
Jun 18, 2016
Ean King
Ean King marked it as to-read
Jun 11, 2016
Ronellva Tynes
Ronellva Tynes marked it as to-read
May 30, 2016
Galder
Galder rated it it was amazing
Mar 31, 2016
Jawa Herath
Jawa Herath marked it as to-read
Mar 07, 2016
Rigui
Rigui marked it as to-read
Feb 15, 2016
Hawkgirl
Hawkgirl marked it as to-read
Apr 08, 2016
Hannah Givens
Hannah Givens marked it as to-read
Jan 24, 2016
Philip Munro
Philip Munro marked it as to-read
Jan 17, 2016
Andrea Bowes
Andrea Bowes rated it it was amazing
Dec 15, 2015
Keith Darian
Keith Darian marked it as to-read
Nov 23, 2015
Ioana Popescu
Ioana Popescu marked it as to-read
Oct 22, 2015
Danny
Danny marked it as to-read
Oct 12, 2015
Jerry Flu
Jerry Flu rated it really liked it
Oct 06, 2015
warren Smith
warren Smith is currently reading it
Oct 03, 2015
&&&
&&& marked it as to-read
Sep 30, 2015
Dragos Nastase
Dragos Nastase marked it as to-read
Sep 27, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Christian Jacq is a French author and Egyptologist. He has written several novels about ancient Egypt, notably a five book suite about pharaoh Ramses II, a character whom Jacq admires greatly.

Jacq's interest in Egyptology began when he was thirteen, and read History of Ancient Egyptian Civilization by Jacques Pirenne. This inspired him to write his first novel. He first visited Egypt when he was s
More about Christian Jacq...