Start by marking “...Or Not?” as Want to Read:
...Or Not?

...Or Not?

When 14 year-old Cassie Sullivan-smart, sensitive, and perceptive-stands up for her beliefs, the flagpole Christian majority decides she's the school Antichrist. Cassie had no idea defending Darwin and refusing to sing "Proud to be an American" would be such a big deal. But it's a brave new world of post-9/11 paranoia in her uber-conservative Colorado school. Trying to sta ...more
Published October 8th 2007 by Flux (first published October 1st 2007)

To ask other readers questions about ...Or Not?, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about ...Or Not?

Erica
Jul 28, 2012 Erica rated it did not like it
It took me a really looong time to get through this book. I read it during a phase of reading YA fiction with protagonists that were 13-15 years-old so I was fairly immersed in that point of view at that time. I felt the main character of this book did not have that voice, that 13-15 y/o stumbling through life voice. Actually, she didn't seem to have much of a personality at all, especially considering her circumstances. And that is why it took me so very long to finish the book; I was constantl ...more
Jennifer Wardrip
Reviewed by Marta Morrison for TeensReadToo.com

Cassie is my hero. She is an intelligent non-conformist who is stuck in junior high.

...OR NOT? starts with the summer before Cassie goes into eighth grade. It is told through Cassie's journal. She lives with her mom and dad and has a brother in college. They live in Colorado and have a rustic cabin, which she loves, in the mountains. Her family walks to a different drummer, with her father being a lawyer and her mother a musician.

They are a family
Shannon
Aug 14, 2010 Shannon rated it it was ok
I wanted to like this book more than I actually did. It started out good then slowly the fire dwindled out for me, I could hardly even finish the book by the time the last hundred or so pages came around.
Haleigh
Jan 15, 2015 Haleigh rated it did not like it
This book annoyed me so much, for a variety of reasons. First of all, having gone to a conservative middle school, I can completely understand the annoyance with the way her classmates cannot accept science. But this was the end of where I could identify with her problems. One of my main annoyances? THE STORY HAD NO PLOT. It was merely her diary, with a lack of an ending.

But anyway, her character drove me absolutely crazy. She first of all refuses to sing Proud to be an American, which is okay
charlotte
Aug 10, 2014 charlotte rated it it was ok
This may not be the kind of young adult fiction that a thirty-something can appreciate. But I went in wanting to like it.

Our protagonist Cassie is a 13-going-on-14-year-old vegan, child of liberal parents (whose views she seems to share wholly, aside from the veganism), social misfit. Okay, she hasn't thought about the class system yet or the roots of poverty. Okay, she says she's patriotic even though she won't stand for the Pledge of Allegiance at school and she refuses to sing "Proud To Be an
Leslie
Jun 14, 2014 Leslie rated it liked it
I'm at around page 300 and I think I'm going to quit. This book really has no plot, and if a book doesn't have a plot it really isn't interesting enough to finish. Nothing is happening, it just is talking about her life and, well, her life is appearing to be very uninteresting. Endless days of doing nothing. And the writing style is very unlike any 8th grade girl would write, and also the descriptiveness was nice, but after 300 pages it's just getting old. I think this book should have been redu ...more
Phoebe
Feb 04, 2011 Phoebe rated it really liked it
This book was really good but sometimes very confusing and a bit cliche.
Cory
Nov 10, 2008 Cory rated it did not like it
Really, REALLY didn't like the main character. Stopped reading.
Helen
Apr 26, 2010 Helen rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Um, my cousin, obviously. Have you even read the review?
I have a cousin. Actually, I have about 100. (We're Irish Catholic. Or, at least, my grandparents are so they had a lot of kids and a lot of their kids are so... whatever. Forget it.) But I have one cousin who I'm very close to. I mentioned her in my review of Mists of Avalon.

So Erin is kind of an enigma. I've come across two things that make me think "Wow, this is exactly Erin," in my entire life. TWO. One was the book The Murder of Bindy Mackenzie. Erin is a lot like Bindy, but less obnoxious.
Dannie Kalifornia
Mar 05, 2013 Dannie Kalifornia rated it it was amazing
This has to be one of my favorite books of all time. I have read it three times to date, though I do not yet own it.

My first time reading it, I was in sixth grade and I was in a bad, bad place. I was bullied by my entire class and I could connect with fourteen-year-old non-conformist, vegan Cassie as I was the sole vegetarian. I could connect because even when my parents told administration about the problems I was having with people in my grade, they did nothing about it.

My second time readi
Joelie
Mar 25, 2016 Joelie rated it did not like it
DNF

This was just........ If you have read 250 pages of a 400 page book and still don't know what it's actually about and worst of all couldn't care less it's time too give up
Jeff Raymond
Jul 09, 2010 Jeff Raymond rated it liked it
This book really rubbed off on me the wrong way, initially - having a subplot involving religious zealots and the evolution/creationism "debate" sounded too much like a half dozen other books I had read over the last few months prior, but the end result was something a lot deeper, with some memorable scenes and a protagonist you can't help but sympathize with regardless of your feelings toward her or her beliefs. That's the hallmark of good storytelling for me, honestly.
Stephanie A.
Jul 20, 2012 Stephanie A. rated it liked it
I'm from the Twin Cities. Show me a public school in real life where the liberal, Bush-administration-and-church-questioning girl is the oddball outcast, and I'll turn back time and go there instead for a change of pace. I just couldn't swallow that premise when my experience with teens has been that they're all like her. It was also way too long. That said, she was a fairly likable character, and it held my interest to the end.
Maria
Jun 09, 2012 Maria rated it liked it
Shelves: checked-out
2.5 stars, really.
Immpressions: The book was good enough and the writing was easy to get into, but I just didn't really like the girl.
Maybe the real reason I didn't like her was that she was as self-centered as I am, but at some points she just came off as bitter and rude, thinking herself better than everyone else just because she's Vegan (not that I have anything against Vegans)and a tortured soul.
Brenda Kahn
Aug 18, 2012 Brenda Kahn rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2012, bullying
I believe this was recommended in a bullying webinar. The author nailed that dynamic and did a pretty good job making this diary of a fourteen year old seem real, as in real random and rambling and self-conscious and pretentious. But I don't have to like the protagonist to like the book. I liked this one enough till the ending, which was a copout.
Feb 23, 2009 Laura rated it it was amazing
This book is great. I couldn't stop turning the pages. I loved to read it and just really felt like I was there as Cassie lived.
Anne
Aug 07, 2008 Anne rated it it was ok
Yet another teen coming of age novel. okay story but wasn't exactly thrilled with the ending..
Aaron Burke
Nov 30, 2008 Aaron Burke rated it it was amazing
Engaging, clever novel told from the perspective of a precocious adolescent female.
Lee Spillane
Jul 07, 2011 Lee Spillane marked it as to-read
Recommended by Penny Kittle in the Centurions of 2011 group
Allison
Allison rated it really liked it
Sep 21, 2016
Chloe
Chloe marked it as to-read
Aug 23, 2016
Ray (user2637)
Ray (user2637) marked it as to-read
Jul 16, 2016
16backeop
16backeop marked it as to-read
Apr 15, 2016
Sarah rated it it was amazing
Apr 08, 2016
Adri
Adri marked it as to-read
Apr 04, 2016
Katie Bodden
Katie Bodden marked it as to-read
Mar 23, 2016