Start by marking “A Dangerous Promise (Orphan Train Adventures, #4)” as Want to Read:
A Dangerous Promise (Orphan Train Adventures, #4)

A Dangerous Promise (Orphan Train Adventures #4)

The long-awaited continuation of the immensely popular Orphan Train Quartet, a series that has already won numerous awards, including two Golden Spur Awards. In A Dangerous Promise, Mike travels to the front lines of the Civil War to keep a dangerous promise made to a slain friend.
Published September 1st 1994 by Delacorte Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about A Dangerous Promise, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Dangerous Promise

A Family Apart by Joan Lowery NixonIn The Face of Danger by Joan Lowery NixonA Place to Belong by Joan Lowery NixonA Dangerous Promise by Joan Lowery NixonLooking for Home by Arleta Richardson
Orphan Train
4th out of 19 books — 6 voters
The Chronicles of Narnia by C.S. LewisCaddie Woodlawn by Carol Ryrie BrinkThe Little House Collection by Laura Ingalls WilderFelicity by Valerie TrippJo's Boys by Louisa May Alcott
Best Girlhood Books
36th out of 77 books — 4 voters

More lists with this book...

Tracy
Mar 28, 2010 Tracy rated it really liked it
Fast paced, intricate look at life as a Civil War soldier. Mike Kelly, almost 13, runs away with his friend Todd in order to become a drummer boy. Throughout the book, Mike grows from a naive boy to a seasoned soldier as he tries to keep his promise to his fallen friend.
It is still a good read focusing on the horrors of war both on and off the battlefield.
Candace
A Dangerous Promise by Joan Lowery Nixon, continues the story of Michael Kelly. Michael was a member of the Orphan Train sent west from New York City with his 3 sisters and 2 brothers by their mother.

Mike was first adopted by some terrible people, but eventually he left that place and was taken in by Captain Joshua Taylor and his wife, Louisa. Mike lives in Ft Leavenworth, KS and when the Union Army needs soldiers, Mike decides (along with his good friend, Todd), that he's going to enlist. Troub
Sam Parry
May 24, 2012 Sam Parry rated it liked it
In A Dangerous Promise the protagonist is a 12 year old boy who runs away to join the Union army. The plot of this book is very exiting with many close calls. Mike Kelly and his friend Todd are drummers in the Union army. Their first battle is at the Battle of Bull Run. Todd dies in Battle and Mike has to fullfill a promise to Todd. Mike has to return Todd's watch to his sister. An evil Confederate soilder steals the watch and Mike is forced to make a difficult adventure to reclaim the very soug ...more
X
Jul 29, 2016 X rated it liked it
This book in the series seemed to go much faster but I felt like it missed out on some details that should have been explained more. So much so that I had to search to see if I had read them out of order. But like the rest the author is so good at explaining the difficulties of daily life in this time period..... Politics, religion, society, classes.
Summer
Sep 09, 2016 Summer rated it liked it
good
Gabriel
Aug 05, 2011 Gabriel rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
For years I forgot what this book was called. Thanks to the power of Google and Goodreads I have found it after at least nine years of searching. Just thinking of this book brings back other times, other times of sitting down on the floor of the children's section of the library, legs crossed and mind immersed in the pages that shaped me into the person I am today.

A Dangerous Promise was the first book to introduce me to the utter brutality and senselessness of war, and I highly recommended it.
War's never fun, and the boy in this book learns that the hard way, during the very harsh American civil war. At the beginning, he's thinking "adventure" and how he can help. He learns soon enough how wrong he is, and ages beyond his years to deal with it all. Many lessons in the book can also apply to today. The book left me wanting more at the end, which slightly surprised me, given the morose (war) material.
Duane
Sep 01, 2008 Duane rated it liked it
The saga continues for Mike who is a past Orphan Train child. Mike wants to join the Union Army as a drummer and soon finds that all those dreams of fighting aren't anything like the reality of battle. Mike learns the glamour of battle isn't anything like the honesty of it. A great read for Civil War buffs.
Virginia
I love this series, but I especially liked this book because at the time I read it, I was on a Civil War kick. The story does have some heart wrenching scenes, but considering the setting, it would come across as rather fake if it didn't.
Jacque
May 16, 2015 Jacque rated it really liked it
We enjoyed this book and were so glad that momma Kelly was reunited with here children again-even if we were undecided on where we wanted the children to live! MD gave it 5 stars. CN 4, MK 3 stars.
Kate Matson
This was an exciting book that urges you onward with every page. It has happy endings, but also has sad endings. Either way, I was fully content with what happened.
Christina
Oct 28, 2009 Christina rated it liked it
This one was a little lacking in plot. I did like the civil War history in it though. Not my favorite one of the series.
Stella♥
Mar 31, 2013 Stella♥ rated it did not like it
I read these books a million years ago and I decided to read this last one just for fun
Christine
Oct 21, 2008 Christine rated it really liked it
you have to read it to find out
CMC
CMC marked it as to-read
Sep 29, 2016
Janeal
Janeal marked it as to-read
Sep 20, 2016
Leah Sawnor
Leah Sawnor marked it as to-read
Sep 20, 2016
Mckinley
Mckinley rated it liked it
Sep 17, 2016
Bisma Ch
Bisma Ch marked it as to-read
Sep 09, 2016
Michele
Michele marked it as to-read
Sep 07, 2016
Felicia
Felicia rated it liked it
Sep 07, 2016
Jacqui Rondeau
Jacqui Rondeau marked it as to-read
Sep 04, 2016
I Love to Read!
I Love to Read! marked it as to-read
Aug 31, 2016
ErinJ
ErinJ marked it as to-read
Aug 27, 2016
Amber Weems
Amber Weems rated it it was amazing
Aug 27, 2016
Alyssa Asdell
Alyssa Asdell rated it liked it
Aug 24, 2016
Alane Seeger
Alane Seeger marked it as to-read
Aug 20, 2016
Christy
Christy rated it really liked it
Aug 24, 2016
  • Red Cap
  • Who Comes with Cannons?
  • Spying on Miss Muller
  • Tucket's Home (The Tucket Adventures, #5)
  • Stealing Freedom
  • The Journal of Jasper Jonathan Pierce: A Pilgrim Boy (My Name Is America)
  • Max and Me and the Time Machine
  • The Journal of James Edmond Pease, A Civil War Union Soldier: Virginia, 1863 (My Name is America #)
  • Prey for a Miracle (Sister Agatha, #3)
  • The Mystery of the Crimson Ghost
  • Felicity Saves the Day: A Summer Story (American Girls: Felicity, #5)
  • Happily Ever After (Girls to the Rescue #1)
  • Betty Crocker's Cook Book for Boys and Girls, Facsimile Edition
  • Stealing South: A Story of the Underground Railroad
  • The Ransom of Mercy Carter
  • His Majesty, Queen Hatshepsut
  • A Dead Man's Tale
  • A Horse for Kate (Horses and Friends, #1)
Author of more than one hundred books, Joan Lowery Nixon is the only writer to have won four Edgar Allan Poe Awards for Juvenile Mysteries (and been nominated several other times) from the Mystery Writers of America. Creating contemporary teenage characters who have both a personal problem and a mystery to solve, Nixon captured the attention of legions of teenage readers since the publication of h ...more
More about Joan Lowery Nixon...

Orphan Train Adventures (7 books)
  • A Family Apart (Orphan Train Adventures, #1)
  • Caught in the Act (Orphan Train Adventures, #2)
  • In The Face of Danger (Orphan Train Adventures, #3)
  • Keeping Secrets (Orphan Train Adventures, #5)
  • A Place to Belong (Orphan Train Adventures, #6)
  • Circle of Love (Orphan Train Adventures, #7)

“To my way of thinking, the slavery issue is just an excuse to allow some people to do hateful things and feel righteous about it.” 6 likes