Start by marking “Caught in the Act (Orphan Train Adventures, #2)” as Want to Read:
Caught in the Act (Orphan Train Adventures, #2)

Caught in the Act (Orphan Train Adventures #2)

3.85  ·  Rating Details  ·  556 Ratings  ·  29 Reviews
Eleven-year-old Michael Patrick Kelly from New York City is sent to a foster home, a Missouri farm with a sadistic owner, a bullying son, and a number of secrets, one of which may be murder.
Published March 3rd 1996 by Laurel Leaf (first published 1988)

To ask other readers questions about Caught in the Act, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Caught in the Act

A Family Apart by Joan Lowery NixonIn The Face of Danger by Joan Lowery NixonA Place to Belong by Joan Lowery NixonA Dangerous Promise by Joan Lowery NixonLooking for Home by Arleta Richardson
Orphan Train
6th out of 19 books — 6 voters
The Chronicles of Narnia by C.S. LewisCaddie Woodlawn by Carol Ryrie BrinkThe Little House Collection by Laura Ingalls WilderFelicity by Valerie TrippJo's Boys by Louisa May Alcott
Best Girlhood Books
37th out of 77 books — 4 voters

More lists with this book...

Tracy
Jun 24, 2010 Tracy rated it really liked it
Next on my list of rereads from childhood is the second book in the Orphan Train Saga, focusing on Mike, the oldest brother in the Kelly family. Unlike his siblings, Mike is placed in a less than desirable home with the Fredericks. Historically, Mike's story in this book, (he is adopted merely as a hired hand), is probably the most accurate outcome for children placed through the Orphan Train.
The story is a page turner, Mike's adopted brother tries to get him in trouble and sent back to New Y
Jared M
Mar 29, 2015 Jared M rated it really liked it
Caught in the Act by Joan Lowery Nixon was a good book. It was a good mystery and you could connect to the characters.
The book was about Michael Kelly who is part of the original series of the Orphan Train. Michael along with his other brothers and sister were each adopted by different families. This story is about Michaels life after the trip from New York. His life is filled with pain and constant paranoia. His new parents are from Germany and have many secrets behind them so Michael is cons
Alexandria
Feb 22, 2011 Alexandria rated it really liked it
I love the Orphan Train Adventures. I first started reading them probably in 8th grade? Not entirely sure. Anyway, I can't wait to get my hands on the 3rd one ... if i could just find it. lol :)
Annie
Jan 08, 2010 Annie rated it really liked it
this book is so amazing!
the parents or i should say the dad is really freaky he beats mike(mike is the main person)
i probably shouldnt even say anymore or else ill spoil it
Ramon López
Jul 22, 2015 Ramon López rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-english
The story was too fast paced sometimes, but it managed to keep the mysteries alive until the very end. Even though I was afraid it'd be too predictable, it ended up being an enjoyable read. I particularly liked how the author played with the good/bad dichotomy. I'll probably read the rest of the series.

"They should have got along well, with both of them unable to put down words way they come straight from the mouth." Mike to Reuben about Shakespeare and Wordsworth.

"Ridiculous! There was no way h
Mannix
Mar 21, 2012 Mannix rated it really liked it
The book "Caught in the Act" was a mysifying and back breaking book. It was about a boy named Mike who was a foster, but was strangely happy to be one. He usually sat in his room letting the time pass in the house of is foster parents, Mr. and Mrs. Reichard. One day though, Mike's life changed. He saw a man killing another man and Mike was in complete shock a didn't know what to do. Th is conflict is similiar to the one in the book "Freak the Mighty". Freak has a step dad who was trying to kill ...more
Katielin317
May 11, 2015 Katielin317 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-aloud
My daughter and I loved reading this whole series together. There are so many things to discuss. The background of the story itself is a difficult one, but the main characters (the 6 children) are such wonderful examples of all sorts of admirable characteristics. My least favorite was the last book, as the ending was too unrealistic.
Alexa
Apr 10, 2015 Alexa rated it liked it
Actual Rating: 2 1/2 stars.
Interesting enough, but not brilliant. Good, though slightly predictable plot, but mediocre writing and mostly bland characters. I read because I wanted to know about the mystery, little else.
Dustyn Eaton
Apr 14, 2015 Dustyn Eaton rated it liked it
this book was pretty good. its about a boy that gets adopted and goes to a farm and gets to work.
William
Sorry I pit this on my read shelf, I accidentally put it there and didn't no how to remove it
Elizabeth Gondek
Jan 15, 2015 Elizabeth Gondek rated it really liked it
It was very intense but kept me interested!
Katie
Feb 04, 2014 Katie rated it it was ok
Remembered reading this series as a kid and wanted to reread.
X
Jul 27, 2016 X rated it it was amazing
Another great book in this series. I liked that the tone was different but had the same great descriptions. It was more of a "boy" feeling of excitement and intrigue. Can't wait for the next one!
Jacque
Mar 15, 2015 Jacque rated it really liked it
Love these older books that teach a bit of history and incorporate high morals and a lesson. Read this to my kids. They all three enjoyed it and can't wait to start the next in the series!
Duane
Aug 31, 2008 Duane rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Mike finds himself living with a German immigrant family after being chose from the Orphan Train. His harsh treatment only makes Mike more determined to go west and become the man he so wishes to be. He soon finds though that the family he lives with is hiding a dark secret. Can he discover the secret before he comes to danger? Are they even meaner than he imagines? The author does a good job of keeping the reader entertained and in the dark until the very last moment. A great read.
Heather
Jan 25, 2014 Heather rated it it was ok
Ok...this is the last of the Orphan Train series for me!
Phoebe Chiu
So good!!!!!!! Full of suspense, danger, morals, and is written with good literature. Definitely a reccomendation
Becky
I remember reading these as a child and I absolutely loved them. I figure if the memory of a book has been able to stick with me for over twenty years it deserves four stars. I also remember that these were the first characters I cried for in a book, the first time I was moved to an outburst of emotion by written word. Those are the types of things that stick with a bibliophile.

Read in fifth grade.
Amy Ann
Mar 04, 2011 Amy Ann rated it really liked it
It was ok. It had a good moral of not jumping to conclusions but it was a little violent I thought. On the other hand maybe that was realistic.
Tyler
Mar 28, 2008 Tyler rated it it was amazing
This and all the other orphan train series books are the best books I have ever read. Boys and Girls of all ages will like this book.
Jen
Jun 06, 2010 Jen rated it it was amazing
These were my absolute favorites as a teen, I read them several times over!
Megan
I liked this book a lot. I found it very exciting and interesting.
Rshelite
Feb 28, 2010 Rshelite rated it really liked it
this is the second book in the orphan train series-- very good.
Josh
Sep 12, 2013 Josh rated it it was amazing
AMAZING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Love orphan train adventures!!!
Candice
Jan 11, 2013 Candice rated it really liked it
Poor Mike , I just felt all of his fear !
Kathleen
JAR5-Nix
  • My Daniel
  • Beetles, Lightly Toasted
  • The Dragon in the Ghetto Caper
  • Thuggin In Miami (The Family Is Made : Part 1)
  • Tucket's Ride (The Tucket Adventures, #3)
  • Me and My Little Brain (Great Brain #3)
  • The One Hundredth Thing About Caroline
  • Spying on Miss Muller
  • The Talking Earth
  • Orphan Train Rider: One Boy's True Story
  • The Mystery of the Crimson Ghost
  • Blue Heron
  • The Black Tower (Herculeah Jones Mysteries, #7)
  • A Dead Man's Tale
  • Clara and the Bookwagon
  • If You Traveled West In A Covered Wagon
  • Prey for a Miracle (Sister Agatha, #3)
  • The World of Little House
Author of more than one hundred books, Joan Lowery Nixon is the only writer to have won four Edgar Allan Poe Awards for Juvenile Mysteries (and been nominated several other times) from the Mystery Writers of America. Creating contemporary teenage characters who have both a personal problem and a mystery to solve, Nixon captured the attention of legions of teenage readers since the publication of h ...more
More about Joan Lowery Nixon...

Orphan Train Adventures (7 books)
  • A Family Apart (Orphan Train Adventures, #1)
  • In The Face of Danger (Orphan Train Adventures, #3)
  • A Dangerous Promise (Orphan Train Adventures, #4)
  • Keeping Secrets (Orphan Train Adventures, #5)
  • A Place to Belong (Orphan Train Adventures, #6)
  • Circle of Love (Orphan Train Adventures, #7)