Start by marking “Caught in the Act (Orphan Train Adventures, #2)” as Want to Read:
Caught in the Act (Orphan Train Adventures, #2)

Caught in the Act (Orphan Train Adventures #2)

3.81 of 5 stars 3.81  ·  rating details  ·  464 ratings  ·  20 reviews
Eleven-year-old Michael Patrick Kelly from New York City is sent to a foster home, a Missouri farm with a sadistic owner, a bullying son, and a number of secrets, one of which may be murder.
Published March 3rd 1996 by Laurel Leaf (first published 1988)

To ask other readers questions about Caught in the Act, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Caught in the Act

Tracy
Next on my list of rereads from childhood is the second book in the Orphan Train Saga, focusing on Mike, the oldest brother in the Kelly family. Unlike his siblings, Mike is placed in a less than desirable home with the Fredericks. Historically, Mike's story in this book, (he is adopted merely as a hired hand), is probably the most accurate outcome for children placed through the Orphan Train.
The story is a page turner, Mike's adopted brother tries to get him in trouble and sent back to New Y
Alexandria
I love the Orphan Train Adventures. I first started reading them probably in 8th grade? Not entirely sure. Anyway, I can't wait to get my hands on the 3rd one ... if i could just find it. lol :)
Annie
this book is so amazing!
the parents or i should say the dad is really freaky he beats mike(mike is the main person)
i probably shouldnt even say anymore or else ill spoil it
Mannix
The book "Caught in the Act" was a mysifying and back breaking book. It was about a boy named Mike who was a foster, but was strangely happy to be one. He usually sat in his room letting the time pass in the house of is foster parents, Mr. and Mrs. Reichard. One day though, Mike's life changed. He saw a man killing another man and Mike was in complete shock a didn't know what to do. Th is conflict is similiar to the one in the book "Freak the Mighty". Freak has a step dad who was trying to kill ...more
William
Sorry I pit this on my read shelf, I accidentally put it there and didn't no how to remove it
Elizabeth Gondek
It was very intense but kept me interested!
Katie
Remembered reading this series as a kid and wanted to reread.
Duane
Mike finds himself living with a German immigrant family after being chose from the Orphan Train. His harsh treatment only makes Mike more determined to go west and become the man he so wishes to be. He soon finds though that the family he lives with is hiding a dark secret. Can he discover the secret before he comes to danger? Are they even meaner than he imagines? The author does a good job of keeping the reader entertained and in the dark until the very last moment. A great read.
Heather
Ok...this is the last of the Orphan Train series for me!
Becky
I remember reading these as a child and I absolutely loved them. I figure if the memory of a book has been able to stick with me for over twenty years it deserves four stars. I also remember that these were the first characters I cried for in a book, the first time I was moved to an outburst of emotion by written word. Those are the types of things that stick with a bibliophile.

Read in fifth grade.
Amy Ann
It was ok. It had a good moral of not jumping to conclusions but it was a little violent I thought. On the other hand maybe that was realistic.
Tyler
This and all the other orphan train series books are the best books I have ever read. Boys and Girls of all ages will like this book.
These were my absolute favorites as a teen, I read them several times over!
Rshelite
this is the second book in the orphan train series-- very good.
Josh
AMAZING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Love orphan train adventures!!!
Candice
Poor Mike , I just felt all of his fear !
Rosalie
suspensful lovedit ...more
Cws
JAR5-Nix
Abigail
Abigail marked it as to-read
Jan 22, 2015
Odette
Odette added it
Jan 19, 2015
  • Beetles, Lightly Toasted
  • Me and My Little Brain (Great Brain #3)
  • Thuggin In Miami (The Family Is Made : Part 1)
  • Prairie Songs
  • Tucket's Ride (The Tucket Adventures, #3)
  • Spying on Miss Muller
  • Friends at Thrush Green (Thrush Green, #10)
  • Meet the Malones
  • Red Cap
  • Felicity Saves the Day: A Summer Story (American Girls: Felicity, #5)
  • Orphan Train Rider: One Boy's True Story
  • The One Hundredth Thing About Caroline
  • The House at Old Vine (House, #2)
  • More Perfect than the Moon (Sarah, Plain and Tall #4)
  • Blue Heron
  • The Talking Earth
  • Baby Island
Author of more than one hundred books, Joan Lowery Nixon is the only writer to have won four Edgar Allan Poe Awards for Juvenile Mysteries (and been nominated several other times) from the Mystery Writers of America. Creating contemporary teenage characters who have both a personal problem and a mystery to solve, Nixon captured the attention of legions of teenage readers since the publication of h ...more
More about Joan Lowery Nixon...

Orphan Train Adventures (7 books)
  • A Family Apart (Orphan Train Adventures, #1)
  • In The Face of Danger (Orphan Train Adventures, #3)
  • A Dangerous Promise (Orphan Train Adventures, #4)
  • Keeping Secrets (Orphan Train Adventures, #5)
  • A Place to Belong (Orphan Train Adventures, #6)
  • Circle of Love (Orphan Train Adventures, #7)
The Kidnapping of Christina Lattimore The Other Side of Dark A Family Apart (Orphan Train Adventures, #1) A Deadly Game of Magic The Séance