Start by marking “Equinox” as Want to Read:
Equinox

Equinox

Oxford, 2006: a young woman is found brutally murdered, her throat cut.Her heart has been removed and in its place lies an apparently ancient gold coin. Twenty-four hours later, another woman is found. The MO is identical, except that this time her brain has been removed, and a silver coin lies glittering in the bowl of her skull.

The police are baffled but when police phot
Published October 5th 2006 by Arrow (first published January 1st 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Equinox, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Equinox

Jay
Okay, look, this isn't a great book. White here is trying to emulate Dan Brown. It's a lot of nonsense, and at times it's just plain ridiculous. It was easy to spot the killer/people involved by the first third of the book. It's difficult to really get to know anyone in the book, and at times I was just plain bored with the characters.

It's enjoyable, yes, but it's not fantastic. I liked it a little bit. I might even recommend it to some people. I liked that non-fiction information at the end of
Ana
This book is a perfect example of a good idea ruined by poor execution.
After two unsuccessful attempts to finish this book, I finally did it! YAY, I'm so proud of myself!

Maybe reading this book after finishing The Lost Symbol by Dan Brown was not a good idea. I can't help but think Mr White is obviously influenced by Dan Brown's writing, but let's get something straight - Michael White is not Dan Brown. From the first few pages I knew the chances of me liking this book are slim, but as I appro
Julia
Apr 18, 2014 Julia rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This book was a pleasant read, but I was not swept away by its plot or the execution of it. What I did enjoy about this book was the later paragraphs on the themes included in the novel. This has happened before, namely in The Historian, where the book itself was quite vague, but the knowledge and effort of the author is enormous and presented as after-words. White explores the themes of occultism, alchemy and astrology, which are quite intriguing themes. It saddens me that with such great ...more
Anupam Prakash
Dec 27, 2012 Anupam Prakash rated it liked it
Michael White tries to emulate some other authors as he tries to incorporate the use of occult in a murder series and does a decent job. The plot is pretty good. The book follows a good, uniform pace unlike some others and speeds up as it builds toward it's crescendo. Some events are not explained clearly and is left to the interpretation of the reader though...overall, a decent read...
Eveliphadora Warghollow
It isn't the best book I read but it is quite entertaining. I do have a feeling White is trying to copy a little of Dan Brown but that doesn't bother me since I love Dan Brown. This book is a light read for a sunday afternoon. Not bad but not great either
Trisha
Jul 27, 2014 Trisha rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2007
Als Oxford wordt opgeschrikt door de brute moord op een jonge studente, kunnen Laura Niven en Philip Bainbridge hun intiem etentje wel vergeten.
Philip moet het lichaam op de gevoelige plaat leggen en het is huiveringwekkend. Op de plaats van het hart zit een gat met daarin een gouden munt. Vierentwintig uur later wordt er weer een lichaam gevonden en nu ligt er een zilveren munt op de plaats van de hersenen. Laura, Philip en hun dochter Joanna beginnen de zoektocht naar de moordenaar en ontdekk
Matteo Pellegrini
Jan 23, 2014 Matteo Pellegrini rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: thriller, giallo

Oxford, 2006. La prima vittima ha la gola squarciata e il torace aperto: il cuore è stato asportato e al suo posto c'è una moneta d'oro con incisa una scena egizia. Dodici ore dopo il secondo omicidio: ancora una studentessa brutalmente sgozzata, ma ora è il cervello a essere stato rimosso, e all'interno del cranio brilla una moneta, questa volta d'argento. Sulla scena dei crimini è presente la giornalista newyorkese di cronaca nera Laura Niven. La ritualità degli omicidi e quelle strane monete

Aromas de Cor
Aug 25, 2016 Aromas de Cor rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
me lembro de como este livro chegou cá a casa. Sei que o li em duas tardes junto à piscina e quando dei conta tinha acabado. De vez em quando sabe bem mudar de género literário e este até que nem foi uma mudança muito má!

A história fala-nos sobre uma série de crimes macabros, em que são retirados órgãos às vítimas e em seu lugar são deixadas moedas. A acção decorre na cidade de Oxford, onde vive Philip que tem por missão fotografar de forma a documentar esses horríveis crimes que assolam a cidad
Henni
Jan 25, 2012 Henni rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: krimi, historie, 2009
Det var først da jeg skulle opdatede denne bog her på goodreads, at jeg opdagede, at jeg faktisk havde læst en anden bog af Michael White - Medicinernes hemmelighed, det var vist meget godt at jeg ikke kunne huske det, for ellers havde jeg nok ikke købt Ritualet.

Men selvom Michael White stadig tydeligt henter inspiration i Dan Browns fortællerstil og der også er en god gang Indiana Jones ind over denne gang, er plottet meget bedre skruet sammen end i Medicinernes hemmelighed, og jeg syntes at an
Josephine
Jul 31, 2016 Josephine rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Josephine by: Booking surfing at Savation Army Store
Aileen
Jan 02, 2010 Aileen rated it it was ok
This book is total nonsense a crime thriller with links back to 1690 & Issac Newton. I feel like I can't cope with anything taxing to read at the moment so this was perfect, I whizzed through it in 2 days, it has very short chapters a la James Paterson. The story is centred around a spate of murders at Oxford University, but there is a parrallel story from 1690 with Issac Newton at the helm running along side. Only Oxford alumni Laura & Philip can really solve the mystery as usual the ...more
Ari
Jun 02, 2014 Ari rated it it was ok
A combination of Raiders of the Lost Ark and Da Vinci code. More the latter. Not bad in that genre but a very standard issue. Codes, secret doors and chambers, ritual murders and an outstanding, unstoppable (almost) murderer. I would suspect that this was written a movie in mind... but the movies have already been made. This would be more or less just repetition.

Standard ingredients make a standard soup. If you want to read something light during the summer holidays this will be good enough.

Some
Hanna
Kirjassa punoutuu toimivalla tavalla nykyinen ja mennyt maailma yhteen, kun tapahtumissa hypätään 2000-luvulta 1600-luvulle ja takaisin. Historiallisen viittauksen luo Isaac Newtonin ja muutaman muun henkilön käyttäminen yhtenä kirjan hahmoista. Kirjan lopussa oli lyhyehkö tiivistelmä alkemistien historiasta ja kirjassa esiintyneistä historiallisista henkilöistä.

“Luciferin liittolainen” puolestaan ei onnistu olemaan mitään muuta kuin mystisellä aiheella varustettu pettymys, joka jätti minut luki
Dinah
Jul 14, 2012 Dinah rated it really liked it
One of the most recent of Michael White's thriller mysteries, Equinox was intriguing at two levels. The theme was based upon alchemy with White's usual two tiered story line. Modern police mystery (ritualistic murders) paralelled with the genius scientist, philosopher and alchamist Isaac Newton and his acoloytes in the Seventeenth Century. It was vintage White, with a fast pace at both levels supported with excellent historical notes at the end. It left me quite fascinated to know more about ...more
Pilvi
Jan 14, 2016 Pilvi rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: People who like Da Vinci code
Considering Michael White has mainly written non-fiction books before, his transformation to a fiction writer has been quite succesfull. Basicly the story was a murder thriller mixed with historical and mythical seasonings. I did have my doubts about the story when White started mixing alchemy, occultism and astrology to the story. I'm not into that, I'm into rational sciences :) But I did like the book. In brief, this is another Da Vinci -code book, with different secret societies. I especially ...more
Yvette
Apr 14, 2015 Yvette rated it liked it
The storyline is great, but Michael White may be a great non fiction writer, he's got quite some improving to do to make it as a thriller writer. What could have been a good Da Vinci Code imitation turned out to be not so impressive... the characters are flat and stilted.
The idea that a crime scene photographer and a journalist start investigating a series of murders could still have been acceptable, but that's as far as it goes.
I did like the chapter with the facts behind the fiction. Which pro
Nira
Nov 18, 2009 Nira rated it it was ok
Shelves: books-i-own
This isn't really the sort of genre I'm into so my opinion my be a bit biased.
It must have probably been a good read since it didn't bore me to death or compel me to drop it after the first few pages in.
Although I read it a long time ago, I remember being captured by the narration of the first murder. It was brutal, captivating, made me want to read further.
It's all right for a one time sort of thing, I guess, but someone I care would have to be dying for me to ruffle through its pages again.
Iona
Sep 25, 2013 Iona rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: No one
Recommended to Iona by: Found it on a shelf
I am sorry Michael White but I didn't even get pass page 66. Nothing about the story or it's telling captured me, and I struggled to get that far hoping for a turn in the events or a spark from a character would draw me in. I found the characters and their dialogue to be flat and contrived, and then when I felt it should only get better - enter Newton. I felt the same about him and that's when I knew it was time to give up.
I can tell you nothing about the plot except that thus far it was predict
Lusitarius
Feb 05, 2013 Lusitarius rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
Oh, how I hated this book! It tryed too hard to be the Da Vinci -code and did horribly wrong everything. And I couldn't get in touch with the main characters, so there was to be something seriously wrong in this one. Start was too lazy and the ending was too fast. There's nothing that I like about in this book and I was pissed off when Isaac Newton came to picture. Why the hell the bookhad to tell his story as well? It ate almost every credibility from the book. I certainly ain't going to read ...more
Michel
Aug 26, 2008 Michel rated it it was ok
Shelves: mystery, eleole, hist-fic
Just the opposite of Dan Brown.
Whereas Brown does not bother with research or a credible plot (and even gets countless small details wrong), his style is brilliant, lively and enjoyable.
Michael White (Liam Ethwiche) on the other hand has clearly done his homework, his facts are impeccable and the exciting story could all be true. But his writing is pedestrian, even academic, the decor true but postcardlike (compare with Colin Dexter's Oxford), the people smart but not really likeable, the dialog
Graham
Oct 27, 2011 Graham rated it liked it
I think I've read too many books like this for this one to really excite me. This was just like reading a Dan Brown novel but lacking the same frisson of excitement. There wasnt enough to diffentiate this from other similar books. The 'surprise' was really predictable and generally that summarised the book.

The blokes in my book club also agreed.

Having said all that it was still interesting enough to read - just not outstanding.
Aykut Kısa
Jul 05, 2015 Aykut Kısa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Yaz Okuma Şenliği kapsamında listemde yer alan bir kitaptı.
Keyifle okudum. Gerilimi çok güzel ayarlamış yazar. An geldi tüylerim diken diken oldu. Tam artık yeter sıkılıyorum dediğim an da işler çözülmeye başlandı.
Teknik olaraksa bir sürü yazım hatası, ortalamanın altında bir çeviri. (yazıcıdan çıktı aldım demek yerine çıkış gibi bir tercih) Bu yüzden 3 yıldız verecektim ama dedim adamın suçu ne. Her şeye rağmen 4 yıldız.
Claire Henson
Aug 04, 2011 Claire Henson rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book, its an easy read, I especially enjoyed the back and forth between the centuries given you a background as to why the murders are happening.
I love the fact its set in Oxford its refreshing to see a dark side to the picturesque city!
It was slightly predictiable near the end but it does not effect the enjoyment of the read.
I recommend this as a holiday book or if your traveling a long distance.
Marga
Aug 28, 2016 Marga rated it liked it
Ik vond het een leuk boek, maar geen geweldig boek. De verwijzingen naar het verleden zijn wel leuk gedaan, maar ik moest daardoor wel goed opletten. Het was geen boek dat ik moeilijk kon wegleggen en ik heb er echt heel lang over gedaan, maar dat komt ook door andere bezigheden. Waar ik dan wel weer enthousiast over ben, zijn de feiten die uiteindelijk nog genoemd worden. Daar leer ik weer iets van.
Iordache Oana
May 09, 2016 Iordache Oana rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
O carte plina de suspans, o carte cu o poveste paralela, una se petrece in 1690 iar alta in prezent. Multe crime, in special femei, prelevare de organe, acestea fiind folosite intr-un ritual pentru al invoca pe diavol, alchimie, ocultism, Isaac Newton care doreste sa obtina piatra filosofala, prin cele mai ingrozitoare metode. Mie mi-a placut, lectura buna, palpitanta pe alocuri. Va invit sa o cititi, sper sa vi se para la fel de interesanta cum mi s-a parut si mie. :)
Rain ~miss kinky knickers~
Mar 28, 2012 Rain ~miss kinky knickers~ rated it did not like it
Shelves: thriller-mystery, wtf
Oh, how I hated this book. It's sooooo bad. It would be terribly bad, only if The Da Vinci Code was left unwritten. This way, there's no chance for it to surpass the vicious badness of Mr. Brown's piece.
Phillipa
Apr 05, 2014 Phillipa rated it liked it
Shelves: crime-mystery
This was a great fun book in the almost-Da Vinci Code-genre. And there's a whole section at the back with details on what was fact ... so you don't get confused, which caused all the whooha after Dan Brown's aforementioned book. It was an easy read and I'd recommend it for anyone looking for a quick decent crime read with historical references :)
Serge Smagarinsky
Nov 20, 2012 Serge Smagarinsky rated it really liked it
Shelves: thriller
Some interesting historical facts mixed in with an entertaining storyline. A good first attempt at transitioning from non-fiction to fiction, although had a few annoying quirks, eg. I got it the first time that he implied that it's not about what's real but what the murderer believes to be real... could have been a bit more subtle... didn't need to be repeatedly driven home with a sledgehammer.
Joey
Jan 04, 2016 Joey rated it really liked it
If you like books like Dan Brown's, Micheal White's books are sure enough entertaining. Equinox is a story that takes part in Oxfort present day but takes a nice twist as something from the past emerges and changes the course of time.

Exciting and thrilling story packed with action and excitement.
Trine
Thought-provoking, at times disturbing, scientific mystery thriller on the topics of 17th century science, alchemy through the ages and one of the giants of scientific discoveries, Sir Isaac Newton.

‘The Facts Behind the Fiction’ chapter at the end of the book is an added bonus, clarifying some of the controversies in the novel, thus enhancing the overall reading experience. Great read!
Immigration you going to be having a possible 1 2 Jan 21, 2015 12:15PM
  • The Genesis Plague
  • Pyramid
  • The Marks Of Cain
  • La décima sinfonía
  • The Mayan Codex (Antichrist Trilogy #2)
  • Sphinx
  • On the Fifth Day (Thomas Knight, #1)
  • A Fine Place for Death (Mitchell and Markby Village, #6)
  • Death In The Latin Quarter
  • The Caravaggio Conspiracy
  • Pantheon
  • The Crystal Skull
  • The Thirteenth Apostle
Michael White is a British writer based in Sydney, Australia. He has been a science editor of British GQ, a columnist for the Sunday Express in London and, 'in a previous incarnation', he was a member of the band the Thompson Twins (1982).
More about Michael White...