Start by marking “The Little Brute Family” as Want to Read:
The Little Brute Family

The Little Brute Family

4.27  ·  Rating Details  ·  217 Ratings  ·  42 Reviews
They eat sand and gravel for breakfast and a stew of sticks and stones for dinner. No one says "please" or "thank you." Instead, they kick and yell and punch and shove. Then one day everything changes, when Baby Brute happens upon "a little wandering lost good feeling in a field of daisies." When he brings it home in his pocket, nothing is ever the same for the Little Brut ...more
Published September 25th 2002 by Farrar, Straus and Giroux (BYR) (first published September 1967)

To ask other readers questions about The Little Brute Family, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Little Brute Family

Nefariousbig
Apr 29, 2013 Nefariousbig rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviewed
Unlike the Little Brute Family, I am cursed. This curse has been passed down through generation after generation of my subservient ancestors. Being helpful, kind, generous, polite, loving, gracious, demure, agreeable, and overall "proper" is a burden I must bear. Like it or not. It cannot be turned off, burned off, or cut out. It is a birthmark. I have passed this curse on to my children, and it will be passed on to theirs. That is important.

Like the littlest Brute, I have carried the goodness i
Christian
Oct 21, 2008 Christian rated it it was amazing
I think it is cool how they are all mean and brutes in the beginning....and then the little baby brute finds this little thing and it helps their family to grow nice. And when summer comes they become a nice family!

Vivian
Aug 20, 2015 Vivian rated it it was amazing
Our story time themes for this six-week cycle are inspired by events which occur in C.S. Lewis's children's novel The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe. Each week we quickly review the story by having the children "build a big house" (make a peaked roof by putting their hands together over their heads), "make rain" (raise arms high above head and then wiggle fingers while lowering arms), "play hide & seek" (cover eyes with both hands and count quickly to ten and then say "Ready or not, here ...more
Michelle Clement
May 21, 2016 Michelle Clement rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
I found a vintage copy of this recently and the title grabbed me, I had to have it! The story is hilarious and very heartwarming, unexpectedly. It's all about focusing on the positive and letting the finer things in live bring contagious happiness in. A good read for kids, and anybody, really, as we are all capable of getting stuck in a grumpy rut like the Brutes are at the beginning of this story. So cute!
Rosa Cline
Apr 15, 2016 Rosa Cline rated it really liked it
Shelves: kids
This is a grumpy family, they don't smile, grin, giggle or have fun. They do the same things over and over again. Until the baby finds something magical and they start to smile and it feels good. It spreads throughout the family and they realize how much better it was to be happy and to say nice things like thank you and please ect.
jacky
May 19, 2015 jacky rated it liked it
Saw this cover at Auburn library and wow did the memory hit hard. Flipped through and several other illustrations I remembered as well. No recollection of the story. The librarian pointed out that the illustrator was the same as the Francis books, which was so obvious once she told me.
Elizabeth Jay
Jun 06, 2014 Elizabeth Jay rated it it was amazing
This book was read to me as a child countless times! I LOVE this book. I am so glad that I was able to find my copy and share it with my children. The illustrations are great and the slight sarcasm makes my family laugh. So many childhood memories!
Emerson and Theodore
Jul 26, 2012 Emerson and Theodore rated it it was amazing
Shelves: library-books
The memories came gushing back when I read this book about the brute family. This is a book I read as a child. Emerson I read it today and it surprisingly held his attention. It is categorized as an easy reader: the book for older children who are learning how to read on their own. But the pictures and the story are good enough that Emerson followed along.
The brutes are a horrible family living in the woods without any happiness until one day baby finds some sunshine in the meadow and brings it
Carmine
Dec 26, 2014 Carmine rated it really liked it
The six year old, "I like how the baby brings home the good feeling and they don't have to eat sticks the next day."
Lana
Feb 20, 2014 Lana rated it it was amazing
Yeah, me again. Review posted at http://kiddo-adventures.blogspot.com/...
Pen Avey
Jan 23, 2016 Pen Avey rated it it was amazing
One of my favourite childhood books, a charming tale with sweet illustrations throughout.
Candice Anderson
Jan 24, 2016 Candice Anderson rated it really liked it
Good message about happiness in family life.
Becky Joslin
Jul 22, 2015 Becky Joslin rated it it was amazing
Favorite children's book! Love it :)
HeavyReader
Feb 17, 2012 HeavyReader rated it liked it
Oh man, The Little Brute Family. I hadn't thought of this book in at least twenty-five years. I just happened across it on the list of the Best Children's Books Most People Haven't Heard Of

I loved those little brutes!

I think this book is supposed to teach kids that life is more pleasant when we are all kind and gentle with each other.

I would LOVE to read this book again.
Heidi
These pictures are adorable. I was OK with the story, because I wasn't quite sure where it was going But when Baby Brute found the lost good feeling, I liked it much more. What a happy way to end. And even a good behavior book if you want to use it so.
Deborah
May 30, 2009 Deborah added it
Shelves: picturebooks
I am a huge, huge fan of the Frances books. Frances is a fabulous character who is handled with a gentle wit. But this book is all message and doesn't have the subtleness of Hoban's other books. I was disappointed.
Julie
Nov 07, 2012 Julie rated it it was amazing
Shelves: easy-readers
How did I miss this one until now? Wow. This is right up there with the Frances books, and my other favorite, Charlie the Tramp. Funny, sweet, and excellent to read aloud. Love love love it.
Marianne Meyers
Jul 28, 2011 Marianne Meyers rated it it was amazing
One of my absolute favorite children's books of all time. I could take it out enough from the library as a child. I keep a copy by my bedside table, I still love it.
Connie
Feb 08, 2008 Connie rated it it was amazing
This was my favorite picture book when I was a kid. I made my dad read it to me over and over again. Perhaps because it so closely resembled our own family?
Sara
Aug 22, 2012 Sara rated it it was amazing
This is the most amazing and wonderful little book. It is perfect for the 3-4 year old range. I would recommend it for kids and nostalgic adults alike.
Roseann
Jun 29, 2013 Roseann rated it it was amazing
THis was MY FAVE book as a child and I must have read it a thousand times. Nothing quite like a good feeling to make a big difference in life! : )
Judy
Aug 22, 2009 Judy rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: families with little kids
Shelves: children
We love this little book. It's such a sweet story of a brutish little family that encounters a wandering lost good feeling.
Meadow
May 31, 2009 Meadow rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kid-lit
This book is a huge hit in our house (thanks, Noel!). Sometimes we go and look for a wandering happy feeling. Sometimes it works.
Beth Spencer
Sep 24, 2012 Beth Spencer rated it it was amazing
At the beginning they were bad and mean and grumpy and maddy. Then they were nicey wicey micey ticey gicey. :)
Shirleen
Sep 03, 2012 Shirleen rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s-books
Cute story of a mean family with a happy ending when baby Brute finds a surprise in a field of daisies.
babyhippoface
Mar 10, 2014 babyhippoface rated it it was amazing
I realize this is kind of a goofy one, but I have a soft spot for that "little wandering lost good feeling."
Nancy
Jul 11, 2015 Nancy rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s
An adorable story about a 'little wandering good feeling' and how it changes an entire family.
Pam
Nov 14, 2008 Pam rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
A family of brutes learns about the value of niceties. Check out the expressions on their faces!
Euroca
Apr 27, 2009 Euroca rated it really liked it
We love this book from Rich's childhood. It is a great example of how attitude changes everything.
Kayli
Oct 31, 2007 Kayli rated it it was amazing
This book is so cute and funny and sweet. My kids laughed and I just thought it was great.
  • Who Needs Donuts?
  • Dinosaur Bob and His Adventures with the Family Lazardo
  • A Hole is to Dig
  • Wake Up, Sun!
  • Yoko
  • Ride, Fly Guy, Ride! (Fly Guy, #11)
  • Anatole (Anatole, #1)