Start by marking “Amazing Baby: The Amazing Story of the First Two Years of Life” as Want to Read:
Amazing Baby: The Amazing Story of the First Two Years of Life

Amazing Baby: The Amazing Story of the First Two Years of Life

4.09 of 5 stars 4.09  ·  rating details  ·  103 ratings  ·  21 reviews
"The astonishing story of a baby's first two years."

Renowned zoologist and scholar of human behavior Desmond Morris ("The Naked Ape") reveals a baby's incredible powers of development and extraordinary growth patterns. Through informed text and stunning photographs and artworks, this insightful reference surveys the biology, physics, chemistry and other forces which drive
Published September 1st 2008 by Firefly Books (first published January 1st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Amazing Baby, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Amazing Baby

This book is fabulous. It has wonderful photos, plus overlays showing how a baby's bones, organs, and more grow.

I enjoyed this book more than most baby books because it explains the science behind a baby's development, rather than "Your baby should do this by this week." It also emphasizes the uniqueness of each baby.

I think this would be a great gift for a new parent. I just checked it out from the library and was fascinated.
Rati
Simply brilliant! I recommend this book to anyone with children or even planning to have children. It tells you everything you need to know about your tiny baby's physiology in a simple, easy to understand manner. An added advantage, my 10-month old loves looking at the beautiful, glossy photographs of babies on almost every single page of the book.

Ciara
Worth five stars for the pictures alone. Big hurray for Malahide Library who had it " out back" as no bookshop in dublin seems to have it at the moment. I think a paperback version is due out in May.
Brittany Youngchild
Very informative! This book has a good format and is well written with plenty of graphics. Totally recommend to any one having a baby, working with babies, or anyone interested in the amazing human body.
Wow! Obviously pertinent, since I have one on the way in a couple of weeks, but a really beautiful, educational book for anyone. The photos are gorgeous, and the 'lessons' are brief. Loved it.
Alicia
This is a fantastic book. A not-too-heady coffee table book with gorgeous photos of babies and great information about infant development.
Amanda
Developmental Psychology 101 presented in a way that is feels neither too simplistic for my level of expertise nor too complicated for the parents I work with who have very low education levels. The words are simple but are put together beautifully, so it is informative but not boring, educational but not condescending.

This book was purchased per my request by my agency for resource material and I would recommend it for everyone. I'm going to have to give this book at every baby shower I go to.
Robert
Such a wonderful book that helps demystify a lot of what happens during a baby's development from fetus to toddler, with beautiful photography and overlays that do a great job illustrating many concepts.
Can't recommend it enough, particularly for first time parents.
Melanie Franklin
This is a wonderful book summarizing the development of babies. What I particularly liked about this book is that the development is discussed in terms of evolution and natural selection. However, some of the developmental milestones discussed ARE WRONG according to when they happen. The author states that most babies walk by 8 months old. In fact, a walking 8 month old is quite rare. The picutures are beautiful, however.
Lientje
The best book ever when you have a small baby. Also a great gift to new parents. This book doesn't tell you what your baby 'should be able to do' at a given age -what most books do and usually results in parents worrying about their child. It rather describes the several stages babies go through and how they develop from a general point of view. A great read!
Lizita
Oct 10, 2009 Lizita rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: expecting parents/ first-time parents
This easy-to-read book is full of brilliant photographs and illustrations about the baby anatomy. This is not a typical "What to expect when you're expecting" book, instead it takes a scientific approach to what happens as they baby develops up until toddler years. It truly is a must read!
Cindy
Beautiful photographs of babies throughout the book. My son who is almost 9 months loves to look at the photographs of the babies.. I can see him growing and developing everyday..

This book explains how babies develop. It's a fascinating read.

Rebecca
Beautiful photographs and interesting information although most of it I already knew from reading other books about babies. But this one had a good science/medical take on the topic, including anatomical and physiological illustrations.
Donzel
Lovely photography, each section deals with every step of a baby's physical, emotional and mental growth. The inability of the author to grasp who the Maker is taints the book with an evolutionist worldview.
Geo_ayman_magdy
u can download copy of this book from
it's very good book to read if you have new baby
Sableamy
this was easy to read, had great pictures, and provided lots of interesting information on the development from newborn to toddler.
Eugenia
Beautiful pictures, but the info is either unremarkable - i.e. generally found in many run-of-the-mill baby books - or somewhat dubious.
Elizabeth
good book. Cute pics, helpful, interesting info on a broad range of topics. Simply worded, to-the-point, and clear.
Anna
Awesome Desmond Morris genius.
Mindy
Library Journal review assignment
Alan
Two words: Gore jush.
Christopher
Christopher marked it as to-read
Jun 27, 2015
Philip Dietschi
Philip Dietschi is currently reading it
Jun 20, 2015
Sara Riggins
Sara Riggins is currently reading it
Jun 09, 2015
Evi
Evi added it
Jul 03, 2015
Renatus
Renatus marked it as to-read
Jun 02, 2015
Jim Dyer
Jim Dyer marked it as to-read
May 03, 2015
Constantin
Constantin marked it as to-read
Apr 14, 2015
  • So That's What They're For!: The Definitive Breastfeeding Guide
  • Bésame mucho
  • Our Babies, Ourselves: How Biology and Culture Shape the Way We Parent
  • Infant Massage: A Handbook for Loving Parents
  • It's a Girl: Women Writers on Raising Daughters
  • Unbuttoned: Women Open Up About the Pleasures, Pains, and Politics of Breastfeeding
  • What Mothers Do: especially when it looks like nothing
  • Your Baby Is Speaking to You: A Visual Guide to the Amazing Behaviors of Your Newborn and Growing Baby
  • The Parents We Mean To Be: How Well-Intentioned Adults Undermine Children's Moral and Emotional Development
  • The Healthiest Kid in the Neighborhood: Ten Ways to Get Your Family on the Right Nutritional Track
  • Origins: How the Nine Months Before Birth Shape the Rest of Our Lives
  • Baby-led Weaning: Helping Your Baby to Love Good Food
  • Top 100 Baby Purees: 100 Quick and Easy Meals for a Healthy and Happy Baby
  • The Art of Roughhousing
  • Parenting for a Peaceful World
  • Dirty Little Secrets from Otherwise Perfect Moms
  • Magical Child
  • The Language of Genes
Desmond John Morris is most famous for his work as a zoologist and ethologist, but is also known as a surrealist artist and author.

More about Desmond Morris...
The Naked Ape: A Zoologist's Study of the Human Animal The Human Zoo: A Zoologist's Study of the Urban Animal Peoplewatching: The Desmond Morris Guide to Body Language Catwatching: The Essential Guide To Cat Behaviour The Naked Woman: A Study of the Female Body