Start by marking “Amazing Baby: The Amazing Story of the First Two Years of Life” as Want to Read:
Amazing Baby: The Amazing Story of the First Two Years of Life

Amazing Baby: The Amazing Story of the First Two Years of Life

The astonishing story of a baby's first two years.

Renowned zoologist and scholar of human behavior Desmond Morris (The Naked Ape) reveals a baby's incredible powers of development and extraordinary growth patterns. Through informed text and stunning photographs and artworks, this insightful reference surveys the biology, physics, chemistry and other forces which drive the
Published October 10th 2008 by Firefly Books Ltd (first published January 1st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Amazing Baby, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Amazing Baby

Sebastian
Oct 26, 2014 Sebastian rated it it was amazing
Simply brilliant. Despite the fact that (verrrrry) occasionally an outdated bit of info does manage to slip through the editorial guard, the overwhelmingly positive attitude while dispensing clearly organized no-bullshit information about the tiny human animal during its first two years of life, coupled with the lovely photo sets, makes this easily the best book about babies I've ran across.
Feb 09, 2009 Jennifer rated it it was amazing
This book is fabulous. It has wonderful photos, plus overlays showing how a baby's bones, organs, and more grow.

I enjoyed this book more than most baby books because it explains the science behind a baby's development, rather than "Your baby should do this by this week." It also emphasizes the uniqueness of each baby.

I think this would be a great gift for a new parent. I just checked it out from the library and was fascinated.
Ryan McKay
Apr 19, 2017 Ryan McKay rated it it was ok
Shelves: parenting
Impressive photos and illustrations - as befitting a coffee-table (or waiting room) book - the sections are concise and well organized as well.

Unfortunately, while there are some interesting developmental facts within, they are presented alongside a number of contentious, dubious, and unsupported theories and assertions (all without citation). These range from the benign/risible to the patently illogical/offensive; for example:

1. Mothers evolved to distinguish the cry of their own baby so they w
Rati
Feb 03, 2013 Rati rated it it was amazing
Simply brilliant! I recommend this book to anyone with children or even planning to have children. It tells you everything you need to know about your tiny baby's physiology in a simple, easy to understand manner. An added advantage, my 10-month old loves looking at the beautiful, glossy photographs of babies on almost every single page of the book.

Brittany Youngchild
Oct 01, 2012 Brittany Youngchild rated it it was amazing
Very informative! This book has a good format and is well written with plenty of graphics. Totally recommend to any one having a baby, working with babies, or anyone interested in the amazing human body.
Ciara
Feb 12, 2012 Ciara rated it it was amazing
Worth five stars for the pictures alone. Big hurray for Malahide Library who had it " out back" as no bookshop in dublin seems to have it at the moment. I think a paperback version is due out in May.
Puty P
Jul 11, 2016 Puty P rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Bought this at last Big Bad Wolf Book Sale for a very good deal. This book is full of facts of baby as growing & developing mammal from scientific point of view. It reminds you of biology class only with cute babies photographs everywhere.
Alicia
Apr 27, 2011 Alicia rated it it was amazing
This is a fantastic book. A not-too-heady coffee table book with gorgeous photos of babies and great information about infant development.
Jun 07, 2009 Jennifer rated it it was amazing
Wow! Obviously pertinent, since I have one on the way in a couple of weeks, but a really beautiful, educational book for anyone. The photos are gorgeous, and the 'lessons' are brief. Loved it.
Amanda
Dec 09, 2008 Amanda rated it really liked it
Developmental Psychology 101 presented in a way that is feels neither too simplistic for my level of expertise nor too complicated for the parents I work with who have very low education levels. The words are simple but are put together beautifully, so it is informative but not boring, educational but not condescending.

This book was purchased per my request by my agency for resource material and I would recommend it for everyone. I'm going to have to give this book at every baby shower I go to.
Erin
Jul 02, 2016 Erin rated it it was amazing
Shelves: own, family-parenting
This was a gift from Nate's aunt and a surprisingly beautiful book--it's the first two years (including in the womb) from the perspective of the child and how they grow and develop. The pictures are gorgeous, there are a few layover sheets of a baby's working system, and the descriptions are thorough and just detailed enough to be scientific without being too overwhelming. It's a lovely book, and was quite enjoyable to read.
Melanie Franklin
Aug 06, 2011 Melanie Franklin rated it liked it
This is a wonderful book summarizing the development of babies. What I particularly liked about this book is that the development is discussed in terms of evolution and natural selection. However, some of the developmental milestones discussed ARE WRONG according to when they happen. The author states that most babies walk by 8 months old. In fact, a walking 8 month old is quite rare. The picutures are beautiful, however.
Lientje
Jan 27, 2013 Lientje rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
The best book ever when you have a small baby. Also a great gift to new parents. This book doesn't tell you what your baby 'should be able to do' at a given age -what most books do and usually results in parents worrying about their child. It rather describes the several stages babies go through and how they develop from a general point of view. A great read!
Lizita
Oct 10, 2009 Lizita rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: expecting parents/ first-time parents
This easy-to-read book is full of brilliant photographs and illustrations about the baby anatomy. This is not a typical "What to expect when you're expecting" book, instead it takes a scientific approach to what happens as they baby develops up until toddler years. It truly is a must read!
Rebecca
Oct 13, 2014 Rebecca rated it really liked it
Shelves: parenting
Beautiful photographs and interesting information although most of it I already knew from reading other books about babies. But this one had a good science/medical take on the topic, including anatomical and physiological illustrations.
Donzel
Dec 26, 2012 Donzel rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2009
Lovely photography, each section deals with every step of a baby's physical, emotional and mental growth. The inability of the author to grasp who the Maker is taints the book with an evolutionist worldview.
Robert
Mar 14, 2015 Robert rated it it was amazing
Such a wonderful book that helps demystify a lot of what happens during a baby's development from fetus to toddler, with beautiful photography and overlays that do a great job illustrating many concepts.
Can't recommend it enough, particularly for first time parents.
Cindy
Dec 04, 2008 Cindy rated it it was amazing
Beautiful photographs of babies throughout the book. My son who is almost 9 months loves to look at the photographs of the babies.. I can see him growing and developing everyday..

This book explains how babies develop. It's a fascinating read.

Eugenia
May 17, 2013 Eugenia rated it liked it
Beautiful pictures, but the info is either unremarkable - i.e. generally found in many run-of-the-mill baby books - or somewhat dubious.
Mindy
Dec 26, 2010 Mindy rated it liked it
Library Journal review assignment
Emilie
Apr 22, 2016 Emilie rated it it was ok
Shelves: parenting-babies
I feel bad for giving it only two stars, as it’s a beautiful book and very informative, but I just couldn’t get into it.
Anna
Oct 03, 2012 Anna rated it really liked it
Awesome Desmond Morris genius.
Sableamy
Jan 19, 2009 Sableamy rated it really liked it
this was easy to read, had great pictures, and provided lots of interesting information on the development from newborn to toddler.
Geo_ayman_magdy
Jan 11, 2012 Geo_ayman_magdy rated it really liked it
u can download copy of this book from
it's very good book to read if you have new baby
Alan
Oct 14, 2009 Alan rated it it was amazing
Two words: Gore jush.
Elizabeth
Jun 02, 2012 Elizabeth rated it really liked it
good book. Cute pics, helpful, interesting info on a broad range of topics. Simply worded, to-the-point, and clear.
Alexa Gevers
Alexa Gevers rated it really liked it
Apr 23, 2014
Bohanza
Bohanza rated it it was amazing
May 23, 2017
C
C rated it really liked it
Jul 28, 2011
Michelle
Michelle rated it liked it
Sep 05, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • So That's What They're For!: The Definitive Breastfeeding Guide
  • My Child Won't Eat: How to Prevent and Solve the Problem
  • Our Babies, Ourselves: How Biology and Culture Shape the Way We Parent
  • Infant Massage: A Handbook for Loving Parents
  • What Mothers Do: especially when it looks like nothing
  • Your Baby Is Speaking to You: A Visual Guide to the Amazing Behaviors of Your Newborn and Growing Baby
  • Your Amazing Newborn
  • Unbuttoned: Women Open Up About the Pleasures, Pains, and Politics of Breastfeeding
  • It's a Girl: Women Writers on Raising Daughters
  • Parenting for a Peaceful World
  • Sign with Your Baby: How to Communicate with Infants Before They Can Speak
  • The Healthiest Kid in the Neighborhood: Ten Ways to Get Your Family on the Right Nutritional Track (Sears Parenting Library)
  • Raising Baby Green: The Earth-Friendly Guide to Pregnancy, Childbirth, and Baby Care
  • Baby-led Weaning: Helping Your Baby to Love Good Food
  • Dirty Little Secrets from Otherwise Perfect Moms
  • Speak Peace in a World of Conflict: What You Say Next Will Change Your World
  • The Language of Genes
  • The Baby Owner's Manual: Operating Instructions, Trouble-Shooting Tips & Advice on First-Year Maintenance

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »
Desmond John Morris is most famous for his work as a zoologist and ethologist, but is also known as a surrealist artist and author.

More about Desmond Morris...