Ideas and Opinions

Ideas and Opinions

4.14 of 5 stars 4.14  ·  rating details  ·  1,659 ratings  ·  98 reviews
IDEAS AND OPINIONS contains essays by eminent scientist Albert Einstein on subjects ranging from atomic energy, relativity, and religion to human rights, government, and economics. Previously published articles, speeches, and letters are gathered here to create a fascinating collection of meditations by one of the world's greatest minds.
Published December 12th 1988 by Bonanza Books (first published 1954)

To ask other readers questions about Ideas and Opinions, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ideas and Opinions

Sally
Jul 12, 2010 Sally rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Anyone who's ever heard of Einstein and his brilliant career.
It was interesting to read - though I admit to skimming a few of the entries that did not appeal to me. And, though I did not agree with all of Dr. Einstein's views, I found it incredibly interesting - and intellectually stimulating - to read his opinions, ideas, and theories. It was almost eerie to read some of his predictions concerning the United States in regards to a second world war (which happened), a Cold War (check), a Nuclear War (please, no), and even our economic and political issues...more
Nitin
I started reading this book cause i wanted to know more about the man who postulated the theory of relativity. And i was delightfully surprised by the human nature of Albert Einstein. The book is collection of his speeches, interviews and articles covering his views and opinions about diverse fields ranging from Physics to philosophy and life in general. Amazed to find that most of his ideas are valid even in today's world.Einstein seems to had opinions on almost every subject and most of these...more
Sue
I read this book because I wanted to get to know Einstein a little. I'd run across several insightful quotes from him and decided to explore what he was all about. As my rating indicates, I felt this book was just "ok". The man himself was very impressive. He was definitely a humanitarian, and wanted nothing but peace. But the book is a collection of his essays and I didn't find it fascinating reading. It also seemed too repetitious at times. The last section of the book was about his "ideas &...more
مديحة حوري
كل شيء يبدأ بفكرة، والأفكار عادة تبدأ ضعيفة، تبدو لغير صاحبها ساذجة تافهة،، لكن يقويها ايمان صاحبها الراسخ بها، دعمه لها بأساليب الاثبات العلمية، والصبر على استهانه الناس بها، الى أن يظهرها الله أو يهلك صاحبها دونها
Cassandra Kay Silva
Unbelievable. No words. Just lovely.
Nathan
"The most beautiful experience we can have is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. Whoever does not know it and can no longer wonder, no longer marvel, is as good as dead, and his eyes are dimmed."

"Feeling and longing are the motive force behind all human endeavor and human creation."

"Nobody, certainly, will deny that the idea of the existence of an omnipotent, just, and omnibeneficent personal God is able to accord man solace, he...more
Juan Manuel  Charry Urueña
Algunas de las cosas que dice el libro: La mayoría ha de vivir temerosa ante la posibilidad de verse eliminada del ciclo económico, y sufrir así la falta de lo necesario. Los habitantes de distintas naciones se matan entre sí a intervalos regulares. La inteligencia y el carácter de las masas son muy inferiores a la inteligencia y al carácter de los pocos que producen algo valioso para la comunidad. Combinar la sabiduría y el poder ha tenido éxito muy pocas veces, y cuando lo tuvo no fue por much...more
Raj
This is a collection of writings and lectures by Albert Einstein, organised in sections, discussing ideas, politics, pacifism, the Jewish people, science and more. I got through all of it until I reached the final part: contributions to science. Although Einstein's writing could be dense (particularly his pre-war stuff), it was generally understandable. The science writing was beyond me. I struggled through a lot of it, but stopped when I realised that I had read entire pages that didn't make an...more
Kevin Tharayil
It is quite awesome that the intellectual superstar of the 20th century had an opinion on almost everything and what's more those opinions are there to be shared and discussed on thanks to this collection of public talks and letters. It is so rare to find a scientist in the 'public intellectual' space these days with the breadth of wisdom as Einstein.
Inspiring read.
Dan Goldberg
The words of the master himself. Not a biography written by someone else. Einstein's writings are fascinating. His opinions...thought provoking and invigorating. I highly recommend this book!
TrenTren
I've given this book at least a dozen times to people over the years. Wise insights and a good book to have around.
 Δx Δp ≥ ½ ħ
Amazing thoughts of an amazing person!

bagaimanapun, Einstein juga manusia, bagaimana pendapat dia tentang berbagai hal? mulai dari pandangannya tentang perdamaian, wanita, negara AS, makna hidup, kejahatan, sistem sekolah di Jepang, kebebasan, fasisme, HAM, hak cipta, agama-sains, sistem pendidikan ideal, Gandhi, Bernard Shaw, rekan-rekan fisikanya, Krisis ekonomi, Sigmund Freud, perang, perdamaian, politik negara Eropa, kebudayaan, bom atom, sosialisme, yahudi-arab, zionisme, Tuhan, dan tentu s...more
Peter
A solid collection of Einstein's writing, covering a wide variety of topics. I was surprised every now and then by how "naive" he could be in political matters. Not that he's "wrong" anywhere, just maybe a little too convinced that "the good guys" will win eventually in spite of all the evidence (which he cites!) that they do not? Also, some of his ideas become a little repetitive, but that's really the editor's fault and not Einstein's. Although I have to admit that the last section with papers...more
Sebsibe Fikir
i really pleased by reading this book of albert einstein;coz i always wanna to read different books of different peoples who have master mind, and he is also one & my first choice. no one is perfect in this world;but information makes everyone perfect. man of gr8 thought albert....sebsibe wish his friends to join his reading network. hey guys let's start.....
Mar'Kel
I got halfway through this book. I couldn't read it fast enough since I had to return it to the library and had other books I checked out at the same time (I'm too lazy to renew). Anyway, I'd buy it though, or check it out again, it was interesting and I appreciated and respected Einsteins opinions, remarks, and quotes. What a brain; how would that be?
Aaronlindberg
I found the first part of this book fantastic, the later part of the book was a bit over my head as I was not familiar with some of the other scientists theories that he was quoting from so I became a bit lost during the 2nd half of the book and had to slow my reading down to process it.
Noor Iqbal
definately...some ideas hidden in our mind...and some thoughts we express by our movement and actions......fantastic work
Jason
Albert Einstein is a fascinating man, but I could not get into the book. It flowed well, but I did not find it overly engaging. Maybe I'm not a huge Einstein fan or maybe it was the translation (I assume most of these were originally in German and not English) or perhaps it would be better for me to hear him speak instead of reading his words. Perhaps Einstein for me is a man who I could talk with at a bar over a beer, but not read. Fans of Einstein should still try to check it out.
Gökçen Okdere
Mektuplaşmalardan ibaret olduğu için, ister istemez anlam bütünlüğü eksik kalıyor. Bi günde okunacak bir kitap değil. Bi kaç güne bölün, hatta bu kitabın arasına başka kitap sıkıştırın, öyle okuyun.

Einstein'in ne kadar iyi niyetli bir insan olduğunu gösteren bir kitap. Neden bu kadar çok sevildiğini düşüncelerinden anlayabilirsiniz.
Sanchar Sharma
I will give 3 stars to the book but worse to the ideas illustrated by Einstein.
For starters, General Relativity for me is the most unbiased approach to science compared to all the theories that came before it. Yet, when it came down to his political (and in some cases religious) views, he seemed to be too narrow. His arguments are not quite unbiased and he dismisses arguments contrary to his own based on heuristics that lack much gravity.
It is possible that a lot of his full blown arguments got...more
Chris Barrett
I always believe that WHEN you read a particular book for the first time is akin to the first time you heard say Gershwin for the first time or Rakim. Whatever your tastes are the timing does matter. For me, this book mattered a great deal when I first read it.
I read this in 1995. I was 21 and about to move into a 285 square foot efficiency, on my own. So one can imagine the impact a book like this can have at that age in that place.

I absorbed the book like an Iguana in the desert laying in 3...more
Daniel Martinez
informative Albert Einstein. politics, wars, education, religion, and science are all topics discussed. Part 4 or 5 of this book is mainly nerd science so I was lost and bored.
Thomas Jung
Repetition if you've read others.
Andrew
With the ever-expanding glut of Einstein biographies, it's nice to have a compact book of short essays from the man himself. Not being educated in physics, i can't speak to the quality of the more technical essays in the book, but I will say that Einstein obviously went to great lengths to make his scientific ideas as accessible to the general public as his social writings were. the whole book's worth reading before you pick up another 500 pages that speculate on his ego or how many extra-marita...more
Jared Bagley
This book is a collection of Albert Einstein discussing a variety of topics in speeches and authored letters. What is most amazing to me is how eloquently he uses the English language, knowing that German is his native tongue. It's immediately apparent just from the way he expresses his ideas that he is a man of rare genius, and I greatly appreciated this opportunity to see how he thinks - even if I had to re-read some paragraphs numerous times before I could comprehend the ideas.
Wayne
Dec 07, 2011 Wayne marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Why do we look to people known for excellence in one field to lead and inspire us in others? Why should we care what a theoretical physicist thinks about religion, politics, sociology, or anything else regarding fields that he is not an expert it? But we do. And Einstein is one of the greastest source of quotes out there. I have heard him used to back up theories and opinions across the spectrum, often from opposing sides. I wanted to listen to him and decide for myself.
Fahim
I really enjoyed reading this book. Einstein's Ideas and Opinions is a great read who are immersed in this noble person's life. It is a kind of difficult read, specially if English is your second language. You have to read slowly in order to be able to understand some concepts about physics and other life topics. I don't see this book as an ordinary read. It is a mix of physics, religion and politics which sometimes makes it difficult to switch from one part to another.
Ahmed Elsherbiny
This book is a collection of different articles and writings wrote by Albert Einstein. It is good source to know about Einstein's different perspectives. The book is divided into five main parts; general opinions, politics, about Jews, Germany and Science. I liked his opinions on Education and freedom. Generally the book is good one, however the language of it was bit sophisticated.
Brian
this book is not just about physics (in fact, i found his own treatment of special relativity in this book to be rather bad), however the essays on politics and religion are very poignant and thought-provoking... but also mostly just reasonable and practical--unexpected from a man who daydreamed about riding on photons. surprisingly, a lot of these are still incredibly relevant today.
Malvin
An insight into Einstein's world on various topics including politics, religion, education, zionism and germany. It presents another side of the Nobel Prize physicist, a side that makes one appreciate his influence in non-scientific matters. It is a relatively easy read except for the science section containing numerous concepts and theories.
a genius!!!!!!! 1 5 Aug 07, 2013 11:02PM
a genius!!!!!!! 1 4 Aug 07, 2013 11:02PM
  • On Growth and Form
  • Religion and the Rise of Capitalism
  • The Proper Study of Mankind
  • In the American Grain (New Directions Paperback No. 53)
  • The Liberal Imagination: Essays on Literature and Society
  • Science and the Modern World
  • The Strange Death of Liberal England
  • Florence Nightingale, 1820-1910
  • American Language
  • Selected Essays
  • Principia Ethica (Philosophical Classics)
  • Physics and Philosophy: The Revolution in Modern Science
  • The Mirror and the Lamp: Romantic Theory and the Critical Tradition
  • The Nature and Destiny of Man Vol 1 & 2
  • The Sweet Science
  • The Rise of the West: A History of the Human Community
  • Studies in Iconology: Humanistic Themes in the Art of the Renaissance
  • Einstein: The Life and Times
In 1879, Albert Einstein was born in Ulm, Germany. He completed his Ph.D. at the University of Zurich by 1909. His 1905 paper explaining the photoelectric effect, the basis of electronics, earned him the Nobel Prize in 1921. His first paper on Special Relativity Theory, also published in 1905, changed the world. After the rise of the Nazi party, Einstein made Princeton his permanent home, becoming...more
More about Albert Einstein...
Relativity: The Special and the General Theory The World As I See It The Evolution of Physics: From Early Concepts to Relativity and Quanta The Meaning of Relativity The Principle of Relativity (Books on Physics)

“Student is not a container you have to fill but a torch you have to light up.” 201 likes
“My passionate sense of social justice and social responsibility has always contrasted oddly with my pronounced lack of need for direct contact with other human beings and human communities. I am truly a 'lone traveler' and have never belonged to my country, my home, my friends, or even my immediate family, with my whole heart; in the face of all these ties, I have never lost a sense of distance and a need for solitude… ” 165 likes