Start by marking “In Her Defense” as Want to Read:
In Her Defense

In Her Defense

3.71 of 5 stars 3.71  ·  rating details  ·  150 ratings  ·  24 reviews
Frank O'Connell's need to live on the edge cost him his family, his home, and a partnership in his father-in-law's prestigious D.C. firm. Then Ashley Bronson walks into his life. The murder of a former cabinet official has just propelled her from the society column to the front page, and, inexplicably, she wants Frank to defend her. Frank thinks his biggest challenge is de...more
Published April 3rd 2001 by HarperTorch (first published 2000)

To ask other readers questions about In Her Defense, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about In Her Defense

Mike OConnor
I was sitting in a corporate FBO in Miami with a 2 hour wait for passengers. There were complimentary books available. In Her Defense was one of them. It was like finding a gem among the seaglass.
I don't know why this wasn't a Best Seller. It has a great main character, Frank O'Connell, a Vietnam Vet, attorney-cocky and sarcastic. There's family conflict, personal character defining issues, conspiracy and a great writing style. A thoroughly enjoyable read. I'm pretty sure the author shares one...more
Emily
I really liked this book. It was as one commenter put it, "a typical read for this type of book." It was a fast paced legal thriller with lots of twists and turns. The character development was strong and I really liked the main character. I loved his sarcasm and ironic wit... I think I loved this book because of him and his "Pop." They were characters that I sincerely liked. The plot got a bit far fetched in the end, but although I expected a surprise ending, I didn't expect the surprise I got....more
Karen
Wow, I really enjoyed this recommendation from Bev. Likeable and believable characters. Just when you thought it was over....something else happened. Suspense, drama, love triangles, espionage and lawyers.
pdxmaven
Quick entertaining read and a little enlightening, in terms of how the defense, who has nothing whatsoever to go on (in other words, she "did it") uses detectives, the press and whatever, to manufacture the obfuscation of fact. Washington DC highly placed female offspring of BMIDC (Big Man in DC) is accused of murder, of another BMIDC and friend (or long-standing enemy) of her recently deceased father's. Chooses dark horse lawyer. They fall in love. While dark horse lawyer is trying to sort out...more
Jan
Excellent. Fast pace, a young lawyer, who had been given everything, rich wife, nice practice, lovely child, found there was something missing. He chucks it all, wonderful family, great practice, to become a cell block lawyer, as he wants to start from the beginning and make it on his own.

He is hired on a murder case, and intrigue, and mystery is around every corner. There is some excellent detective work done by friends he has hired, and with the help of
his divorced family (who he thought he wo...more
Deby
Well written. Great legal thriller! This was the author's first book - I sure hope he wrote more of them!
Hardyboy
Decent crime novel. Entertaining.
Bob
Lawyer gives up a job with his father in laws prestigious law firm to take public defender cases and looses his wife in the process. By chance he is hired to defend a high profile socialite accused of murder. He is up against a ambitious prosecutor and has his own demons to fight as well. His client is admittedly guilty, but he is working hard against the odds to create reasonable doubt that she actually did the deed. As things come down to the wire in the trial he gets a break that changes the...more
Adna
A good book with focus on the law - a big chunk of crime and mix in a tad bit of romance in there too.

My favorite quote from this book would come from the latter part of the story:
"And I know now, as sure as any immutable law of nature, that the value of our existence can only be computed in the hearts of those we love, and who love us in return".
Kate
Great plot twists and well written. Down on his luck defense attorney takes on what seems to be an open and shut case: the suspect confesses. In building a defense, trying to cast doubt, he uncovers conspiracy plots and other dirty secrets. Characters are pretty well crafted though I thought the relationship resolutions were not strong.
Jenna Watt
This book was so much better than i was expecting. it was fun, entertaining, and tied up in a nice circle. Full of surprises and secrets. this was really very interesting and gave good insight into the defense side of law that most mystery or crime books dont go into. i recommend this book.
Mallory
I don't usually read murder-mystery books, but this one sucked me in. I really like the writing style, and I love the main character. It has a crazy twist in the end, which I actually didn't especially like because it was incredibly unbelievable. But overall, a good, easy read!
Dre
Oct 10, 2007 Dre rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: legal thriller enthusiasts
This is one of those books that you have to read carefully, yet it is NOT a difficult read at all. It is a legal thriller, but you don't mind being in the courtroom during those chapters. The way it all comes together is amazing! This is a twisty-turny good, good read.

Kelly
There is so much going on in this book - murder, FBI espionage, nuclear devices, spies from Russia, lawyer and ex wife still in love. Character development is strong. This is a typical read for this type of story.
Kayla
I really liked this book. It was fast paced and always changing. Some parts were very complex and hard to follow. It is hard to believe how they came to the conclusion of the trial but I really liked the ending.
Claire
This book was lent to me by one of my friends while I was recliner-bound & hating it. I guess the one good thing I got out of that experience was that I've found another author that I like!!!
Lauren
It was just okay..The main character's development was the most interesting part of the novel...the story was a little drawn out in my opinion
Julie O'brien
Why haven't I heard of this amazing author before? What an awesome book - it grabbed me from the first page and I couldn't put it down!!
Amanda Piatt
Read this book within a couple of days while on vacation. It was a pretty easy read that kept me interested while relaxing.
Ana Ramos
An interesting adventure about a lawyer and the conflict of his job and his personal life. :)
JoAnn Ainsworth
Terrific. Kept me focused the whole way. Impressive writing for a first book.
Trixer
good mystery.fast read,no violence
Rood
I absolutley love this book!
Karen M
Good so far.
Rick Peatman
Rick Peatman marked it as to-read
Oct 11, 2014
Lori
Lori marked it as to-read
Sep 30, 2014
Alice
Alice added it
Sep 29, 2014
April Cantu
April Cantu is currently reading it
Sep 24, 2014
Laura added it
Sep 20, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
Couple of questions 1 2 Apr 19, 2013 08:02PM
Law of Gravity Bis Zum Beweis Der Unschuld. Roman Em Sua Defesa Unused Power H. R. 4007 and S. 1379, the Nazi War Crimes Disclosure Act: Congressional Hearing