Start by marking “In Her Defense” as Want to Read:
In Her Defense

In Her Defense

3.70  ·  Rating Details  ·  196 Ratings  ·  30 Reviews
Frank O'Connell's need to live on the edge cost him his family, his home, and a partnership in his father-in-law's prestigious D.C. firm. Then Ashley Bronson walks into his life. The murder of a former cabinet official has just propelled her from the society column to the front page, and, inexplicably, she wants Frank to defend her. Frank thinks his biggest challenge is de ...more
Published April 3rd 2001 by HarperTorch (first published 2000)

To ask other readers questions about In Her Defense, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about In Her Defense

Mike OConnor
Jul 01, 2014 Mike OConnor rated it really liked it
I was sitting in a corporate FBO in Miami with a 2 hour wait for passengers. There were complimentary books available. In Her Defense was one of them. It was like finding a gem among the seaglass.
I don't know why this wasn't a Best Seller. It has a great main character, Frank O'Connell, a Vietnam Vet, attorney-cocky and sarcastic. There's family conflict, personal character defining issues, conspiracy and a great writing style. A thoroughly enjoyable read. I'm pretty sure the author shares one
Carol
In Her Defense by Stephen Horn is my first time to read or listen to anything by this author. The story was engaging, fast paced and I love the characters Frank O’Connell, an attorney and “Pops”.

Ashley Brown walks in Frank’s office and says that she has killed someone, a former cabinet member. When she tells him her story, it seems pretty open and shut. Her finger prints are on the gun and she did shoot. She had had an argument with the victim recently and she made a threat.

Also on the table i
Anne Martin
Apr 14, 2016 Anne Martin rated it really liked it
Another book I've had for years and never read before. Sad, because it's worth it.
I think Horn just published it at the wrong time, when many other questions than nuclear missiles were more interesting. It is funny, every once in a while, you read a book and have to check the publication date to be sure it was not written 60 years ago. That is what I did with this one, Frank O'Donnel is a lawyer who decided years ago to quit contract law and go for criminal cases. He realized quickly his choice
Emily
Sep 21, 2008 Emily rated it liked it
I really liked this book. It was as one commenter put it, "a typical read for this type of book." It was a fast paced legal thriller with lots of twists and turns. The character development was strong and I really liked the main character. I loved his sarcasm and ironic wit... I think I loved this book because of him and his "Pop." They were characters that I sincerely liked. The plot got a bit far fetched in the end, but although I expected a surprise ending, I didn't expect the surprise I got. ...more
Karen
Apr 27, 2014 Karen rated it really liked it
Wow, I really enjoyed this recommendation from Bev. Likeable and believable characters. Just when you thought it was over....something else happened. Suspense, drama, love triangles, espionage and lawyers.
pdxmaven
Aug 26, 2011 pdxmaven rated it it was ok
Shelves: mystery
Quick entertaining read and a little enlightening, in terms of how the defense, who has nothing whatsoever to go on (in other words, she "did it") uses detectives, the press and whatever, to manufacture the obfuscation of fact. Washington DC highly placed female offspring of BMIDC (Big Man in DC) is accused of murder, of another BMIDC and friend (or long-standing enemy) of her recently deceased father's. Chooses dark horse lawyer. They fall in love. While dark horse lawyer is trying to sort out ...more
Jan
Sep 21, 2012 Jan rated it it was amazing
Excellent. Fast pace, a young lawyer, who had been given everything, rich wife, nice practice, lovely child, found there was something missing. He chucks it all, wonderful family, great practice, to become a cell block lawyer, as he wants to start from the beginning and make it on his own.

He is hired on a murder case, and intrigue, and mystery is around every corner. There is some excellent detective work done by friends he has hired, and with the help of
his divorced family (who he thought he wo
Deby
Feb 09, 2014 Deby rated it it was amazing
Well written. Great legal thriller! This was the author's first book - I sure hope he wrote more of them!
Andrew Quackenbush
Jul 24, 2015 Andrew Quackenbush rated it really liked it
Well written, fun read. The mystery was a bit far fetched but overall I enjoyed it.
Debbie
Feb 21, 2015 Debbie rated it liked it
Typical legal thriller....engaging but nothing special.
Greg Western
Oct 06, 2014 Greg Western rated it liked it
Decent crime novel. Entertaining.
Bob
Sep 15, 2011 Bob rated it liked it
Lawyer gives up a job with his father in laws prestigious law firm to take public defender cases and looses his wife in the process. By chance he is hired to defend a high profile socialite accused of murder. He is up against a ambitious prosecutor and has his own demons to fight as well. His client is admittedly guilty, but he is working hard against the odds to create reasonable doubt that she actually did the deed. As things come down to the wire in the trial he gets a break that changes the ...more
Adna
A good book with focus on the law - a big chunk of crime and mix in a tad bit of romance in there too.

My favorite quote from this book would come from the latter part of the story:
"And I know now, as sure as any immutable law of nature, that the value of our existence can only be computed in the hearts of those we love, and who love us in return".
Kate
Jul 22, 2009 Kate rated it it was amazing
Shelves: thriller, mystery
Great plot twists and well written. Down on his luck defense attorney takes on what seems to be an open and shut case: the suspect confesses. In building a defense, trying to cast doubt, he uncovers conspiracy plots and other dirty secrets. Characters are pretty well crafted though I thought the relationship resolutions were not strong.
Jenna Allen
Aug 08, 2011 Jenna Allen rated it really liked it
This book was so much better than i was expecting. it was fun, entertaining, and tied up in a nice circle. Full of surprises and secrets. this was really very interesting and gave good insight into the defense side of law that most mystery or crime books dont go into. i recommend this book.
Stephanee
Apr 14, 2016 Stephanee rated it did not like it
Cliche cliche cliche. Didn't care how it ended.
Mallory
Aug 14, 2010 Mallory rated it liked it
I don't usually read murder-mystery books, but this one sucked me in. I really like the writing style, and I love the main character. It has a crazy twist in the end, which I actually didn't especially like because it was incredibly unbelievable. But overall, a good, easy read!
Dre
Oct 10, 2007 Dre rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: legal thriller enthusiasts
This is one of those books that you have to read carefully, yet it is NOT a difficult read at all. It is a legal thriller, but you don't mind being in the courtroom during those chapters. The way it all comes together is amazing! This is a twisty-turny good, good read.

Kelly
There is so much going on in this book - murder, FBI espionage, nuclear devices, spies from Russia, lawyer and ex wife still in love. Character development is strong. This is a typical read for this type of story.
Kayla
Nov 10, 2010 Kayla rated it really liked it
I really liked this book. It was fast paced and always changing. Some parts were very complex and hard to follow. It is hard to believe how they came to the conclusion of the trial but I really liked the ending.
Claire
Apr 08, 2009 Claire rated it really liked it
Shelves: legal-thriller
This book was lent to me by one of my friends while I was recliner-bound & hating it. I guess the one good thing I got out of that experience was that I've found another author that I like!!!
Lauren
Nov 16, 2008 Lauren rated it it was ok
It was just okay..The main character's development was the most interesting part of the novel...the story was a little drawn out in my opinion
Julie O'brien
Jun 30, 2014 Julie O'brien rated it it was amazing
Shelves: own
Why haven't I heard of this amazing author before? What an awesome book - it grabbed me from the first page and I couldn't put it down!!
Amanda Piatt
Jul 13, 2013 Amanda Piatt rated it liked it
Read this book within a couple of days while on vacation. It was a pretty easy read that kept me interested while relaxing.
Ana Ramos
Apr 19, 2013 Ana Ramos rated it it was amazing
Shelves: adventure, romance
An interesting adventure about a lawyer and the conflict of his job and his personal life. :)
JoAnn Ainsworth
Dec 21, 2009 JoAnn Ainsworth rated it it was amazing
Terrific. Kept me focused the whole way. Impressive writing for a first book.
Jenene W.
Feb 11, 2015 Jenene W. rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: courtroom-drama
Legal thriller with lots of twists and turns!!
Trixer
Nov 08, 2010 Trixer rated it really liked it
good mystery.fast read,no violence
Rood
Apr 09, 2013 Rood rated it it was amazing
I absolutley love this book!
Karen M
Jun 15, 2008 Karen M rated it it was amazing
Good so far.
Couple of questions 1 2 Apr 19, 2013 08:02PM
  • The Hand in the Glove
  • The Legacy
  • Compulsion
  • Brain Storm
  • The Cat Who... Omnibus 03 (Books 7-9): The Cat Who Knew Shakespeare / The Cat Who Sniffed Glue / The Cat Who Went Underground
  • The Last Witness
  • Undone
  • Red Tide (Frank Corso, #4)
  • The Cell (Tweed & Co. #20)
  • Miles Gone By: A Literary Biography
  • Double Jeopardy
  • The Disappearance (Luke Garrison, #1)
  • The Edge of Justice
  • Dead with the Wind (Southern Ladies Mystery #2)
  • Twisted Web (Nolan Kilkenny, #3)
  • The Undertaker's Widow