Start by marking “Lament for a Nation” as Want to Read:
Lament for a Nation

Lament for a Nation

3.46  ·  Rating Details  ·  117 Ratings  ·  11 Reviews
In his 1970 introduction to Lament for a Nation, Professor George Grant modestly expressed doubt whether his study had an enduring importance beyond the particular circumstances occasioning its appearance.
Published November 11th 2005 by McGill-Queen's University Press (first published January 1st 1965)

To ask other readers questions about Lament for a Nation, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Lament for a Nation

Szplug
Aug 26, 2011 Szplug rated it liked it
Shelves: canada-eh
George P. Grant bringing down the mid-sixties nationalist hammer with a fury even as he conceded that this fine northern nation was doomed to subsumption within the United States, that North American dynamo forever drawing its lesser neighbors within by the centripetal forces of its Lockean-based liberalism and continental preponderance. Grant, a prototypical Red Tory, had been a strong supporter of John Diefenbaker, the populist Conservative politician from Saskatchewan who, in an unlikely sequ ...more
Judson
Aug 24, 2008 Judson rated it really liked it
Shelves: philosophy
Ok, the book's title is a little bit misleading. Yes, a lot of it is about events in Canada's recent history. However, it offers a rich perspective on what American imperialism is like from someone who is not American and doesn't agree with the homogenization of the world. Also, chapter 5 is one of the greatest perspectives on political philosophy that has come out of the 20th century. Plus, Grant offers some perspective as a Christian on how the age of progress should be viewed from a religious ...more
Teghan
Oct 30, 2010 Teghan rated it liked it
An important text in the history of Canadian thought and how we construct the nation. It is however, a bit dated. Grant's 'lament' for the nation is one that comes from the white-male construction of what a society should look like. He laments the loss of his Canada....as women were gaining more rights and freedoms and as the population of minorities in Canada increased, Grant was becoming uncomfortable with this. The nation was changing around him.

That isn't to say this book is without value.
Todd Ring
Oct 18, 2015 Todd Ring rated it really liked it
Here is a must-read for all Canadians - George Grant's classic masterpiece, documenting the poor decisions which led to the loss of sovereignty of Canada to the US empire, just at a time when the British empire had been weakened enough that our former subservience to that great power could be severed, and the nation finally become truly free and independent.

While the book became, and remains, seminal in the literature of Canadian history and politics, it's lessons have yet to be learned, and ar
Jeff
Feb 01, 2012 Jeff rated it really liked it
A very interesting examination of Canadian nationalism....I found myself both agreeing and disagreeing with Grant and most often found myself in amazement how the 2 parties have changed over the years! It is interesting to note that this book written by the very conservative Grant was an influential document on the New Left in the 70`s. ...more
Alex Stroshine
This book, written 50 years ago, details the decline in Canadian nationalism. George Grant spends the first first-or-so pages chronicling the rise and fall of John Diefenbaker to Lester B. Pearson and the Liberals. This first half is tedious and boring as the Canada of 2015 is very different from that of 1965 and the cast of political characters has changed. Chps. 5-onwards are better because Grant explains how worldview and ideology has shaped Canadian (English and French) and American politica ...more
Jeanette
Oct 02, 2010 Jeanette rated it it was ok
Shelves: book-club
"Lament for Nation" is considered a Canadian classic and is frequently read in first year Political Science courses. Although the book evoked two hours of excellent discussion in the New Horizon book club, we all found the book a difficult read. It has been many years since I've read a book in which I have had to reread a sentence several times before I thought I understood what the author was saying.

Grant was a philosophy professor and he approaches the subject of Canadian domination by the U.
Michael
Feb 23, 2016 Michael rated it it was amazing
Shelves: canadiana
the book is actually 185 pages... just thought I'd mention it.

essential reading for all Canadians. don't expect any optimism or hope from this book. it confirms something I've thought for quite some time now that Canada is merely a vassal of the USA and has been for quite some time. if your not Canadian you may find the discussion of the homogenising force of capitalism, liberalism, and technology interesting enough to be worthy of a read.
Rocco Maiolo
Jun 12, 2015 Rocco Maiolo rated it it was amazing
I read this as part of a third year University English course. It was one of the first books that made me realize that religious thinkers can be intelligent.
Brent
May 22, 2012 Brent rated it it was ok
I read an earlier edition, obviously, but I like this cover. A fascinating read, to tell the truth, but not of my political striping.
Scott Neigh
Reviewed here.
Matt
Matt marked it as to-read
Aug 13, 2016
Erika
Erika marked it as to-read
Aug 05, 2016
Amy Bird
Amy Bird marked it as to-read
Aug 05, 2016
Sara Sharmen
Sara Sharmen rated it liked it
Jul 24, 2016
Ellen Jin
Ellen Jin marked it as to-read
Jul 22, 2016
Shuyin
Shuyin marked it as to-read
Jul 22, 2016
Seth J. Vogelman
Seth J. Vogelman rated it liked it
Jul 07, 2016
Yan Patsenko
Yan Patsenko marked it as to-read
Jun 27, 2016
Kurt Watkins
Kurt Watkins rated it really liked it
May 15, 2016
Ismael
Ismael added it
Apr 30, 2016
Darren
Darren marked it as to-read
Apr 21, 2016
Lisa Worsley
Lisa Worsley rated it it was ok
Apr 18, 2016
Joseph Gubbels
Joseph Gubbels marked it as to-read
Apr 09, 2016
John Cook
John Cook marked it as to-read
Apr 06, 2016
Brianne Bancroft
Brianne Bancroft marked it as to-read
Mar 31, 2016
Charis Marsh
Charis Marsh rated it really liked it
Mar 29, 2016
  • Nation Maker: Sir John A. Macdonald: His Life, Our Times
  • A Short History of Canada
  • The Invasion of Canada: 1812-1813
  • Bastards & Boneheads: Canada’s Glorious Leaders, Past and Present
  • Who Killed Canadian History?
  • Citizen of the World: The Life of Pierre Elliott Trudeau, Volume One: 1919-1968
  • Shopping for Votes: How Politicians Choose Us and We Choose Them
  • Passchendaele
  • Fire and Ashes: Success and Failure in Politics
  • Memoirs
  • Why Catholics are Right
  • Tragedy in the Commons: Former Members of Parliament Speak Out About Canada's Failing Democracy
  • Thoughts on Machiavelli
  • God Is My Co-Pilot
  • Meaning Of Conservatism
  • Leftism Revisited: from de Sade and Marx to Hitler and Pol Pot
  • Garden Cities of To-Morrow
  • My Years As Prime Minister
Dr. George Grant is an evangelical educator recognized by a Tennessee newspaper “Review Appeal” as the one who “lives and breathes” education.

Grant is known as a reformed scholar and evangelical activist who hopes to promote sound Christian doctrine, seeking honest answers to honest questions, developing true spirituality and experiencing the beauty of human relationships.

He founded Franklin Clas
More about George Grant...