Start by marking “Sudden Fury” as Want to Read:
Sudden Fury

Sudden Fury

In 1984, 17-year-old Larry Swartz killed his foster parents in an Annapolis, Md., suburb. One of the couple's three adopted children, he was shy and emotionally undemonstrative. His background and the circumstances leading to murder are the thrust of this searching study by Baltimore Evening Sun reporter Walker, less a true-crime re-creation than the story of a tortured be ...more
Mass Market Paperback, 385 pages
Published October 2nd 1993 by St. Martin's Press (first published October 1989)

To ask other readers questions about Sudden Fury, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sudden Fury

Lyndsay rated it liked it
Nov 08, 2007
Kellie rated it it was ok
Feb 07, 2009
Rebecca rated it liked it
Feb 21, 2010
Dara S.
Dara S. rated it liked it
Apr 04, 2010
Tammy Walton Grant
Tammy Walton Grant rated it liked it
May 02, 2010
Debbie rated it liked it
Apr 18, 2011
♥ Marlene♥
Aug 13, 2014 ♥ Marlene♥ rated it it was ok
OMG The author annoys the hell out of me sometimes. I have read 262 pages and so far I have not read anything that can excuse what this guy did.
He slaughtered his parents and yes his parents were a bit controlling and he did not get as much freedom as he wanted to but that is not a reason to kill.

I am going to read cause I can't wait to find out why everybody online is going Oh poor Larry. (who apparently died age 36 or so and is called a saint by people)

So I am sure there will be a lot of cruel
Raemona rated it really liked it
Jul 23, 2011
Kimberly Watts
Kimberly Watts rated it it was amazing
Jul 27, 2011
David rated it really liked it
Jan 01, 2012
Micky Parise
Aug 16, 2012 Micky Parise rated it really liked it
Actually a very interesting true story about the murders of Larry Swartz's parents by him. Very insightful, thoughtful account of the story. After reading the book, seen Larry passed away at 36. Heartfelt moving book about everything is not what it seems. Recommend.
Jenna rated it it was ok
Sep 30, 2012
irene rated it liked it
Oct 10, 2012
Karylan Frazier
Karylan Frazier rated it it was amazing
Dec 07, 2012
Alison rated it liked it
May 12, 2013
Feb 17, 2013 Gisele rated it liked it
Sad story. Don't adopt kids if you can't deal with kids. Adoptive parents should be gentler and kinder... The "system" that handles these homeless kids must somehow exercise better oversight.

Laura rated it liked it
Mar 24, 2013
Stephanie rated it it was amazing
Sep 08, 2013
Sharon rated it really liked it
Oct 13, 2013
Nov 25, 2014 Voracious rated it liked it
Good. A bit more in-depth than I needed.
Liz  Dalton
Liz Dalton rated it liked it
Apr 22, 2014
Judy Scott
Judy Scott rated it really liked it
May 20, 2014
Mary rated it liked it
Nov 24, 2014
Nov 29, 2015 Angie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It was a good read, but it didn't keep me hooked like I expected.
Lindsay rated it it was amazing
Dec 18, 2015
Emily Williams
Emily Williams rated it it was amazing
Jan 16, 2016
I finished Sudden Fury by Leslie Walker. I thoroughly enjoyed this author and her intriguing sad story about human emotions and how it explodes. It is the story about the victims and very much about the killer as well.
She takes you back to childhood years filled with pain, neglect and researched both the victims and the perpetrator and how it came to be. The spotlight clearly shines on adoptions, foster parenting all things concerning family's strengths and their weakness as well. I must read! I
Jan 17, 2016 Fishface rated it liked it
A really good read. I think the author spent a leetle too much time delving into the childhood issues of the defense attorneys, but overall this was a really good study of a crime that is not so baffling after all.
Marilyn rated it really liked it
Jun 06, 2016
Aug 28, 2016 Lenny rated it it was amazing
Absolutely spellbinding book. Couldn't put it down till I was done reading every page. Highly recommend! All about adopted children and subsequent parental murder.
« previous 1 3 next »
  • The Good Guys
  • One Last Kiss: The Chilling True Story of a Cheating Husband Who Murdered His Wife and Children
  • Deep Politics and the Death of JFK
  • Hunting the Devil: The Pursuit, Capture and Confession of the Most Savage Serial Killer in History
  • Legacy of Secrecy: The Long Shadow of the JFK Assassination
  • The St. Valentine's Day Massacre: The Untold Story of the Gangland Bloodbath That Brought Down Al Capone
  • They Killed Our President: 63 Reasons to Believe There Was a Conspiracy to Assassinate JFK
  • Survivor's Guilt: The Secret Service and the Failure to Protect President Kennedy
  • On the Run : A Mafia Childhood
  • Boss of Bosses: The FBI and Paul Castellano
  • The Diary of Jack the Ripper: The Discovery, the Investigation, the Authentication, the Debate
  • A Season of Darkness