The Berenstain Bears on the Moon

The Berenstain Bears on the Moon (The Berenstain Bears Bright & Early)

3.68 of 5 stars 3.68  ·  rating details  ·  324 ratings  ·  20 reviews
Illus. in full color. "In a delightful tale told in rhyme, the Bears cope
with weightlessness, meteor showers, and moon dust. A winner for beginning
readers."-- "School Library Journal.
"
Published March 12th 1985 by Random House Books for Young Readers

Amara
I'm not quite sure what the Berenstains were thinking with this one. It's a cute little story about children pretending to go to the moon... right up until you realize that there isn't a thing to imply that these two children didn't honestly build (buy?) a spaceship and take their dog to the moon.

Am I the only one vaguely annoyed by this? The Berenstain Bears are ridiculously wispy-washy when it comes to their genre. Are they anthropomorphic fiction, or are they straight SF/F? It's normally the...more
Tracy Poff
The Berenstain Bears on the Moon tells a story of how Brother and Sister Bear went to the moon, and what they saw and did there.

This one is written in verse, rather than prose, and considering the limited story, it's a good thing: "The bears put up a flag, took notes, and collected rocks." wouldn't be nearly as nice to read as "Then they fly their flag./They take moon notes./They collect moon rocks/in their moon rock totes." Not that the poetry is that great, but at least it's a little more inte...more
Katie Sokol
The Berenstain Books series is a book series that is liked by all children. This book in particular presents many opportunities for discussion and allows kids to learn through images and colors. Not only does this story involve adventure, but it has kids doing things that we wouldnt be able to do, like take a trip to the moon. I love books that have outrageous plots because they keep the audience much more interested and keep you reading until the end. You know a book is good when you WANT to fi...more
Larry
In general I think Berenstain Bears books are preachy and teach kids more bad habits than they fix. HOWEVER, "ThevBerenstain Bears on the Moon" is a fun, non-cautionary adventure tale that is great for any parent trying to interest a toddler in science and the space program.

My two-year old daughter asks for this book very often, and it lets us talk about rockets and planets and what it would like to be on the moon. She tells me almost every time we read it she wants to go to the moon, and I rem...more
Connie
Another one of the Berenstain Bears Early Readers.

It's a lot of fun to read, and the rhymes work well. Very bouncy. I do have to suspend the disbelief of even the kidlets a little - they know full well that two children and a dog cannot go to the moon alone! - but that's all right.
Thomas Hogle
This is one of my favorite Berenstain books. When I was a kid I wanted their moonbuggy, and flying to the moon didn't seem so hard. Reading this book now brings back funny childhood thoughts and took me back in time. This was a great read.
Shelli
Fun story for beginner readers needing a book they can read independently or share with an adult (or animal friend). Lots of sight words and repetitive language to promote reading confidence and fluency.
Anna Loeppky
This book is a fun and rhythmic book about the Berenstain Bears going to the moon. This book is a fun, and unrealistic, story of how the bears got to the moon. This is a great book for early childhood readers.
Drew Paige
The Berenstain Bears are an old classic that all young readers can enjoy. All their travels and experiences are what kids dream about. They are very uplifting books and can still be enjoyable today.
Kirei
They go to the moon and come back. This book is a little lacking because it doesn't have Papa Bear`s hilarious mistakes. I thought for sure it was written around 1969, but my edition says 1985.
Dolly
Jun 20, 2009 Dolly rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: beginning readers and parents reading with their children
Shelves: 2009, childrens
This is a fun story about traveling to the moon. The rhyming narrative and classic Berenstain illustrations make this a great book to read aloud, and good for beginning readers too.
Michelle Couey
more txt on each page than other picture books that I have been reviewing but really good illustrations and always loving a space theme
Brian
what the ???? is this supposed to be a dream? or real...as real as things get in Bear Country? I know this is a kid's book, but come on.
Shauna
Jan 11, 2008 Shauna rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: preschoolers
Shelves: kids
This is currently my 3 year old's FAVORITE story! It's a bit sing-song-like but overall it is inspiring all sorts of questions!
Kim
This was okay, but I much prefer the Berenstain Bears books that have a lesson in them.
Cindi
Why, oh why, does he have to like this one???
Angela Barakat
I read this with both my children.
Benjamin Plume
As BB books go, pretty silly.
PWRL
May 24, 2011 PWRL marked it as to-read
Shelves: 2011-new
A
Cws
May 14, 2009 Cws added it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: jear
JEAR1-Ber
  • Hooper Humperdink...? Not Him!
  • Maybe You Should Fly a Jet! Maybe You Should Be a Vet!
  • Morris the Moose
  • Clifford's First Autumn
  • Henry's Awful Mistake
  • There Was an Old Lady Who Swallowed Fly Guy (Fly Guy, #4)
  • Just My Friend and Me (Little Critter)
  • The Ear Book (Bright & Early Books(R))
  • Commotion in the Ocean (Picture Books)
  • More Spaghetti, I Say! (Hello Reader, Level 2)
  • Thomas and the School Trip (Thomas & Friends)
  • Mickey's Christmas Carol: Classic Storybook
More about Stan Berenstain...
The Berenstain Bears and the Messy Room The Berenstain Bears' Trouble at School Inside, Outside, Upside Down The Berenstain Bears Forget Their Manners The Berenstain Bears and Too Much TV