Start by marking “Philosophy in the Tragic Age of the Greeks” as Want to Read:
Philosophy in the Tragic Age of the Greeks

Philosophy in the Tragic Age of the Greeks

4.05  ·  Rating Details  ·  429 Ratings  ·  29 Reviews
For Nietzsche the Age of Greek Tragedy was indeed a tragic age. He saw in it the rise and climax of values so dear to him that their subsequent drop into catastrophe (in the person of Socrates - Plato) was clearly foreshadowed as though these were events taking place in the theater.
And so in this work, unpublished in his own day but written at the same time that his The Bi
Published July 1st 1996 by Gateway Editions (first published 1870)

To ask other readers questions about Philosophy in the Tragic Age of the Greeks, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Philosophy in the Tragic Age of the Greeks

Ahmad Sharabiani
Philosophie im tragischen Zeitalter der Griechen=Philosophy in the Tragic Age of the Greeks, Friedrich Nietzsche
عنوانها: حکمت در دوران شکوفایی فکری یونانیان؛ سیر حکمت در یونان فلسفه در عصر تراژیک یونانیان
عنوان: حکمت در دوران شکوفایی فکری یونانیان؛ نویسنده: فریدریش ویلهلم نیچه؛ مترجم: کامبیز گوتن؛ تهران، بنگاه ترجمه و نشر کتاب، 1354، در 151 ص؛ چاپ دیگر: تهران، علمی فرهنگی، چاپ سوم 1386؛ در 124 ص؛ شابک: 9789644457418؛ موضوع: فلسفه یونانی قرن 19 م
عنوان: سیر حکمت در یونان فلسفه در عصر تراژیک یونانیا
Athens
Dec 22, 2012 Athens rated it really liked it
Anybody says they understand the Pre-Socratics at the first go is either a genius or a liar (or both!).

Philosophy books are not generally things that mere mortals can skim over, and this was no exception, with some sections requiring multiple reads to get even the basic points.

No false humility here, I hope, it just takes time for even an avid reader to get the concepts in place, much less the assertions that are being made about those concepts.

Then you have to remember what the prior points an
R.a.
Oct 01, 2015 R.a. rated it really liked it

I am upset with myself.
No. I am downright mad at myself.

Here is the “connective tissue,” the link between Nietzsche’s The Birth of Tragedy and his later work. And, on my shelves, it sat. For years.

Although I had read portions of it, I never did return to read this wonderful text cover-to-cover. Ah, such is the sometime nature of the undergraduate sensibility! Excerpts. Sections. And "never enough time." Apparently.

As a philologist, Nietzsche obviously was intimately familiar with the cl
Brandon Henke
Jul 14, 2014 Brandon Henke rated it it was amazing
Shelves: philosophy
Deep, rich, alluring, and colorful. A brilliant young Nietzsche paints a vivid, romantic picture of pre-Socratic thought. The paints, five ancient Greek pillars of western philosophy. Our gaze is first directed at the star-burst white of Thales, the royal purples of Anaximander, the fiery reds of Heraclitus, the cold black of Parmenides, and culminates in the rainbow of Anaxagoras' wonderful creation.

A beautiful look at the seeds of Nietzsche's genius.
4.9 stars out of 5.0

"When one makes as tot
Joe
09/15/2004

The young Nietzsche on the impotence of Philosophy...

This book has much of interest to say about various Greek philosophers but precious little to say of Nietzsche's method of proceeding. Of that Nietzsche says, in the preface that "philosophical systems are wholly true for their founders only. For all subsequent philosophers they usually represent one great mistake, for lesser minds a sum of errors and truths. Taken as ultimate ends, in any event, they represent an error..." In this b
Emeline Dardoff
Jul 18, 2016 Emeline Dardoff rated it liked it
"How-to live?"
Friedrich Nietzsche answered to this question, on writing about the birth of philosophy in the tragic age of the Greeks, in the eponymous essay.

Precisely, he put forward that the pre and postsocratic thinkers developed the most essential theories about the meaning of life, but in two different ways:

1] The presocratic thinkers analysed the human beings as well as universe and nature in order to improve their knowledge on life and then gave us advice.

2] The postsocratic thinkers
D.S. Mattison
Jun 05, 2008 D.S. Mattison rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: lovers of presocratics and Nietzsche
If Reginald Allen's treatment of the early philosophers is concise, then Nietzsche's is illuminating. This book is not only about the certain thoughts of certain men, but rather it is about how their personalities and lifestyles were shaped by these same thoughts. Nietzsche claims that nowhere today can we find a person who has such conviction as these men did, however absurd their ideas might seem to us now. More important than his discussion of trends in ancient philosophy is the explosive eme ...more
m. soria
Aug 03, 2008 m. soria rated it it was amazing
he was a grad student when he wrote this. great way to meet him, and know more about his ideas than syphilis and the anti-christ.
Christian
Oct 01, 2012 Christian rated it really liked it
With his reverential concerns and exaltation to the way, the standpoints and culture of the Greeks, Nietzsche uses transcendental wit that only his mischievous writing could manifest so thoughtfully and delicately.

This was not an easy task for him as he spoke on a detailing scale for a few of the Greeks he believed that set a colloquial and prodding notion for communication to transpire. Two figures he focused on, in his opinion, set this notion and even to our standards of living today. Thales
Cameron
Oct 30, 2012 Cameron rated it it was amazing
An unfinished early manuscript by the last great metaphysician of the West examining several pre-Socratic philosophers of the early classical age. This is a slim volume, but Nietzsche manages to pack in a thorough review of Thales, Anaximander, Heraclitus, Parmenides, and Anaxagoras. As a trained philologist, Nietzsche knew the Greeks well and pulls the reader into the marvelous ancient culture that produced these philosophers. Although I found the treatment of Parmenides somewhat dismissive, Ni ...more
Michael
A young Nietzsche shows his depth of understanding for the Greeks. Though NIetzsche said no young man could understand the Greeks, he disproved his own point. But maybe he never was a young man. I am a young man, and I am far from understanding the Greeks themselves. Which is why it's good that there are books like this one that will bring me closer to understanding them.
River
Sep 27, 2012 River rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Astute, shrewd, and delicious, this is the dark chocolate of philosophy - Nietzche & the Heart of Greek Philosophy. I read this to compliment my Greek Philosophy class and, wow, this was a privileged insight by which to develop my understanding of the Pre-Socratic thinkers. Nietzche's passionate intellect examines the first great thinkers of philosophy and the culmination of their ideas. All the questions of philosophy originate from their initial observations: coming-to-be, the nature of th ...more
Elham Momeni
May 03, 2016 Elham Momeni rated it it was amazing
In this book, he has described some of the pre-socratic philosophers very well. I have read a few books about philosophy in that era, but Nitzche's is far better than those. I admire his style of introducing great thinkers, as he tries to reflect their glory and immensity.....
Jared Della Rocca
Each word in this book I knew and could use in a sentence. Unfortunately, when put together in these sentences, it was totally lost on me. As a reference book for pre-Socratic philosophers, it would be extraordinarily helpful. But just for reading, it was an absolute slog.
Jim Hurley
Jan 04, 2016 Jim Hurley rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Worthwhile on two fronts: [1] an exposure to early Nietzsche thought; [2] an examination of the Pre-Socratics, who sometimes get lost. Will expand this review when I get a chance.
Diogo
Feb 06, 2016 Diogo rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ethics, love, logic
Sem receio de pensar, assim enlouqueceu o breve Nietzsche. Livro tenebroso e desenfreado, como aliás toda a sua obra.
Gamal elneel
Mar 15, 2016 Gamal elneel rated it it was ok
احتفظوا بكل ازدهار وحياة واغراء
وأعطونى فقط هذا اليقين الوحيد عديم الفائدة
HuDa AljaNabi
Jul 23, 2014 HuDa AljaNabi rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
أشبع من فضولي حول الفلسفة والاغريق وأفكار نيتشه, خليط مميز :)
Kareem Ashour
الكتاب اظنه مناوائل كتابات نيتشه و يظهر فيه تاثره بفلسفه شوبنهاور و يشرح فيه فلسفات الاغريق الاوائل .. كما ينتقد فيه بشئ مبطن اقوال كانط
Raluca Colac
Jan 05, 2015 Raluca Colac rated it liked it
S-a spus cu dreptate că un popor nu va fi caracterizat atât prin oamenii săi mari , cât prin felul în care îi recunoaște și îi cinstește pe acești oameni mari .
Erik Graff
Nov 08, 2013 Erik Graff rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Nietzsche fans
Recommended to Erik by: no one
Shelves: philosophy
It may have been good that Nietzsche failed as a classical philologist and became an aphoristic philosopher. If this--or The Birth of Tragedy for that matter--is representative of his scholarship, he would not have survived in a truly academic environment. Instead, one finds here a Romantic appropriation of the several of the pre-Socratics.
Richard Zhang
Jan 02, 2012 Richard Zhang rated it really liked it
A unique and historically accurate insight into the five Pre-Socratic philosophers: Thales, Anaximander, Parmenides, Heraclitus, and Anaxagoras. Writing about the Pre-Socratic philosophers, Nietzsche also shows the correspondence between the Pre-Socratic philosophy and his own.
Lew
Oct 23, 2007 Lew rated it really liked it
Nietszche's thinnest volume, an early one. Little known (I think). The premise is that once a philosopher's work is done and assigned to the shelf, there is still a personality alive within it. He draws subtle portraits of the pre-Socratics as , well, men.
Nate Markham
Oct 08, 2011 Nate Markham rated it really liked it
great read. basically nietzsche picks out the ancient greek philosophers who he feels should be remembered in the history of human thought. a good place to begin learning philosophy, then work into the individual philosophers he documents here.
Khalil
May 15, 2013 Khalil rated it really liked it
Shelves: philosophy, ancient
No young man understands Greek Philosophy , but Nietzsche make you pass half the way , really you don`t have to get around all of the Greek thought , If you understand Democritus , ur almost there . ...more
Brook Miscoski
Aug 03, 2007 Brook Miscoski rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: dorks
This is a great, short perspective on various ancient Greek philosophers. I want to find the writings of Anaxagoras some day, I really like his version of the Universe.
pearl
Jul 20, 2012 pearl marked it as to-read
Shelves: philosophy
Nietzsche on those crazy pre-Socratics? Gimme, gimme, GIMME.
Apr 12, 2007 Sarah rated it it was amazing
Shelves: philosophy
A very concise and insightful analysis of pre-Socratic thought.
Kia Taheri
Jul 31, 2010 Kia Taheri rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A well-known philosophic book about Greeks philosophers :)
Z Nayebi
Z Nayebi marked it as to-read
Aug 29, 2016
  • Parerga and Paralipomena
  • Lectures at the College de France, 1982-83: The Government of Self and Others
  • A History of Philosophy 9: Modern Philosophy
  • The Oxford Classical Dictionary
  • On Justice, Power and Human Nature: Selections from The History of the Peloponnesian War
  • The Statesman (Texts in the History of Political Thought)
  • What Is Ancient Philosophy?
  • Preface to Plato
  • Greek Homosexuality
  • The Origins of Greek Thought
  • Early Greek Philosophy
  • The Greek Way
  • Holderlin, Kleist, and Nietzsche: The Struggle with the Daemon
1938
Friedrich Wilhelm Nietzsche (1844–1900) is a German philosopher of the late 19th century who challenged the foundations of Christianity and traditional morality. He was interested in the enhancement of individual and cultural health, and believed in life, creativity, power, and the realities of the world we live in, rather than those situated in a world beyond. Central to his philosophy is the ide ...more
More about Friedrich Nietzsche...

“Words are but symbols for the relations of things to one another and to us; nowhere do they touch upon absolute truth.... Through words and concepts we shall never reach beyond the wall off relations, to some sort of fabulous primal ground of things.” 41 likes
“إننا نكفر عن ولادتنا مرة أولى بحياتنا ومرة ثانية بموتنا.” 14 likes