Start by marking “Die Akte Brentford” as Want to Read:
Die Akte Brentford

Die Akte Brentford (Brentford #2)

3.97  ·  Rating Details ·  3,007 Ratings  ·  29 Reviews
A sequel to The Antipope, this is the second novel in "The Brentford Trilogy." All over Brentford electrical appliances were beginning to fail—could it be that it had been chosen as the first base in an alien onslaught on planet Earth?
Published 1998 by Bastei Lübbe (first published 1982)

To ask other readers questions about Die Akte Brentford, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Die Akte Brentford

Isabel (kittiwake)
'And the lights upon the allotment,' said Soap, 'what would you take those to be?'
'The work of the council,' said Omally firmly, 'another plot to confound honest golfers.'
Soap burst into a paroxysm of laughter. Tears rolled down his pale cheeks and he clutched at his stomach.
'Come now,' said Pooley, 'it is no laughing matter, these lads have it in for us.'
'Have it in for you?' gasped Soap between convulsions. 'You witness a test run of laser-operated gravitational landing beams, the product
Saoirse Sterling
[Quick review from memory before I re-read and re-review at a later date]

(lawl even from the description I'm laughing. Can't wait for the re-read. No memory of it at all, though. I'm sure it'll all come flooding back.)
Mar 06, 2014 Bettie☯ rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

There are 9 books in this trilogy but you only find a sensible 3 in this edition
DOn't walk - run and read these books. Then talk toot.
Sean Keefe
Aug 29, 2016 Sean Keefe rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
mad, fun, laugh out loud, can't get enough Rankin.
Simon Mcleish
Oct 23, 2012 Simon Mcleish rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned
Originally published on my blog here in February 2001.

The Antipope

Many fantasy authors attempt to mingle the familiar and the exotic in their writing; the familiar enables the reader to grasp what is going on, while the exotic is what defines the genre and what is sought by its fans. The familiar is supplied either by reference to the world around us, for example through the common device by which a normal person suddenly finds themselves in a world of magic, or by reference to the commonplace g
Joseph Teller
This is the second book in the "Brentford Trilogy", centering around the 'locals' at the Flying Swan pub, with a high emphasis on the Infamous Pooley and Omally.

Once again weird things are going on in Brentford, which appear to be centered around (as far as they can tell) interfering with the development of 'Allotment Golf' by Pooley and Omally.

This one ends even further afield from reality than the previous book in the series, so you must be willing to put aside your desire for realism and wal
Simon Blake
Nov 21, 2012 Simon Blake rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is one of the funniest books I've ever read. It has an atmosphere to it like no other fictional world I can think of. Everything's just a little bit off - the pub sells beer in pre-decimal currency (placing the action before 1970) but plays host to a Captain Lazer Alien Attack machine, which places it firmly in the late seventies at the very, very earliest. It has some great, memorable characters, and the author also clearly knows his Fortean history as some of them turn out to be more than ...more
Nathan Dehoff
The follow-up to The Antipope, featuring most of the same characters, came across to me as faster-paced than its predecessor. In this story, Professor Slocombe once again recruits local layabouts Jim Pooley and John Omally to fight evil forces that are invading the London suburb, this time in the form of aliens from the destroyed planet Ceres. Not my favorite of Rankin’s writings, but pretty funny nonetheless, with the sort of weirdness that pervades the author’s work. In addition to the alien a ...more
Adam Sprague
This story started out very entertaining and then trailed off for me. I'm not entirely sure why Rankin decided to dedicate so much of the beginning of the story to allotment golf to simply have it irrelevant to the end of the story and then focus the story on a poorly developed darts tournament.

Even with that said, Rankin's writing style is still very good and there are a few funny moments too. The story makes you want to keep reading, however the ending is a bit thrown together feeling and make
Aug 21, 2015 Angela rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
This time Brentford is invaded by aliens, and only our intrepid pub goers can stop them. Oh, and win a darts match at the same time. This feels like a complete story compared to the first novel. There's quite a lot of fun moments where Omally tries to keep things normal no matter what happens. I like the idea of allotment golf. A fun, light hearted good read.
Apr 19, 2012 Shane rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: humour
A very funny book. Am glad there are more in the series. The humour isn't forced even though it's up there with Terry Pratchett, and the storyline is entertaining enough although nothing ground-breaking. Be interesting to read some of the non-Brentford books just to see if they're as good. Looking forward to the next one anyway. A very funny, quick and easy read.
Mar 12, 2012 Paul rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
How do you stop aliens who all bare an uncanny resemblance to a young Jack Palance from taking over the world?
Well you could sit in the pub playing darts or video games, but that wouldn't be very productive now would it?

This book is number 2 in the Brentford Trilogy, and once again those working class heroes Jim Pooley and John Omally must save the day.
Nov 10, 2013 Ian rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
another story of the heroic drunks. I liked the first one better but was more tired reading this one. Did like the darts tournament and the math error coverups. John Omalley is becoming a hero/role model for me, not sure how that will turn out.
Amy Seraphina
it took me so long to finish... i was full on into it until the last major scene with the dart tournament, the aliens and flying camel. my head is still a bit topsie turvy, but i always enjoy a Robert Rankin... hopefully the next one in the series is a little less confusing in its dramatic ending.
Sep 01, 2016 Jakub rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
As usual, Brentford Trilogy offers loads of laffs. And if you're not functionally retarded, laughs. Amazing events, aliens and levitating camels and psychopathic midgets and a suitable epic finale that despite being set up for pages still managed to make me laugh in the middle of mostly empty bus.
If half stars were available one would be tacked. It is important to remember this series takes itself as seriously as an fps game filled with unicorns.
Kelly Foxhall
One of my favourite authors. Nothing is how it seems in a Robert Rankin book, they are the best material to read when you want to escape from the norm.
Frank J. Ward
Jun 15, 2015 Frank J. Ward rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
R. Rankin

I love this guy. Always weird and fun to read. The earliest novels are not as imaginative as later works, but still a real kick to read.
Apr 12, 2014 RC rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
The characters appear to live in purgatory based on the TV series "Last of the Summer Wine". Surprisingly, the stories are rather dull and boring, undermined by the storytelling technique.
Paul Devall
Paul Devall rated it it was amazing
Aug 08, 2011
Albarose rated it really liked it
Mar 02, 2014
Gauri rated it it was ok
Apr 10, 2014
Jon Stevens
Jon Stevens rated it it was amazing
Jun 09, 2013
Dave Levey
Dave Levey rated it really liked it
Nov 19, 2012
Nathan Hamilton
Nathan Hamilton rated it it was amazing
May 05, 2016
Lulu Bella
Lulu Bella rated it really liked it
Feb 13, 2013
Andrew Albert
Andrew Albert rated it liked it
Jan 17, 2014
Kate Miller
Kate Miller rated it it was amazing
Mar 20, 2012
Chris rated it really liked it
Nov 08, 2012
  • Valhalla
  • From Aberystwyth with Love (Aberystwyth Noir, #5)
  • A Tourist Guide to Lancre
"When Robert Rankin embarked upon his writing career in the late 1970s, his ambition was to create an entirely new literary genre, which he named Far-Fetched Fiction. He reasoned that by doing this he could avoid competing with any other living author in any known genre and would be given his own special section in WH Smith."
(from Web Site Story)

Robert Rankin describes himself as a teller of tall
More about Robert Rankin...

Brentford (9 books)
  • The Antipope
  • East of Ealing
  • The Sprouts of Wrath
  • The Brentford Chainstore Massacre
  • Sex and Drugs and Sausage Rolls
  • Knees Up Mother Earth
  • The Brightonomicon (Brentford, #8)
  • Retromancer