Start by marking “Handmade Houses: A Guide to the Woodbutcher's Art” as Want to Read:
Handmade Houses: A Guide to the Woodbutcher's Art

Handmade Houses: A Guide to the Woodbutcher's Art

If you have ever thought about getting it all together...time, energy, land, materials...to build something of your very own, this book may entice you to take the fatal step. Author, Art Boericke and Photographer Barry Shapiro have traveled for years to the ends of many rural road in order to visit and record the best owner-built structures they could.
Published February 1st 1985 by A & W Pub (first published 1973)

To ask other readers questions about Handmade Houses, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Handmade Houses

Jeremy
Dec 11, 2007 Jeremy rated it it was amazing
Shelves: always-reading
This book and Woodstock Handmade Houses caught my attention at just the right time when I was in high school. I dreamed of building myself a place in the middle of the woods and transcending the complexities of life. Though that has yet to happen, I still return to these for inspiration and proof that it can be done.

The photographs here are beautiful and reflect an endangered aesthetic. When I walk into a house like those depicted here, I feel something that other houses lack. In fact, I was in
Holly Ollivander
Sep 14, 2015 Holly Ollivander rated it it was amazing
Much like Woodstock Handmade Houses, the times I have dipped into Handmade Houses: A Guided to the Woodbutcher's Art over the decades must number in the hundreds by now, and I still discover something new to gaze at in each image: a pot plant, a corner of a stained glass window, a single infant shoe on the floor. These spaces are not carefully staged, lit and photographed for a glossy magazine, they are lived in; you can almost hear the murmured voices from the next room.

I am not ashamed to say
Andrea
Feb 25, 2008 Andrea rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: builders, dreamers, children
Arwen and I simultaneously and independently purchased copies of this book from the Friends of the San Francisco Library book sale. This book proves that building with recycled materials and reducing your energy/resource footprint is by no means a sacrifice. In the Foreword by Sim Van der Ryn (The School of Architecture, UC Berkeley) he implores us to ignore "an economy whose values are the magnitude of production and consumption." Easily and joyfully done, if only I get to live in one of these ...more
Ix
Jul 23, 2016 Ix rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the kind of hippie DIY building book I can get behind. Great pictures, not a lot of useful information, but a lot of inspiration to fuel your deep-seated need to build your own environment from scraps and live out a hobbit-like fantasy. Come on, you know it's in you. You want that.
Kent
Feb 15, 2015 Kent rated it really liked it
Shelves: houses
very inspirational pictures of wood made houses
Clare
Aug 10, 2013 Clare rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Love this book. Definitely of it's time, it documents hand made houses in the '60's - made from anything to hand - architectural salvage, driftwood, spare timber. Much reference to the "awesomeness of listening to Raga's" in a sympathetic house. My dad had this book and always planned to make one. Now the mantle has been handed on to me - watch this space.
Koeeoaddi
Oct 26, 2013 Koeeoaddi rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Mr. Lennar & Mr. D.H. Horton
I still love these goofy hippie houses and if I could find one, still standing, off a ways from this bee hive of crammed together stucco, fake adobe and miles of tile roofs, I'd buy it.

(Excepting the seriously unlovely geodesic dome homes, of course. They look just like big wooden warts.)
James
Absolutely gorgeous. This is a picture book of wildly varied houses united by the owners having followed their dreams in building their own visions, and in most cased by their having made extensive use of recycled lumber and other materials. A great source of ideas and inspiration.
Ron
Feb 09, 2013 Ron rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: architecture
A wonderful look at some wild and creative structures. The ingenuity of design of these hand made homes is remarkable. Most of the examples are located in out of the way places and far away from building inspectors.
Amy
Oct 07, 2007 Amy rated it it was amazing
Shelves: housing
Living in the sticks... literally. This is a slim coffee-table book of rather beautiful handbuilt, rustic cottages and shacks. Quaint, inspirational, romantic.
Shoshanna
Apr 28, 2011 Shoshanna rated it it was amazing
Beautiful photos of handmade houses. Makes me feel wistful for a time I didn't even know.
Niloy
May 18, 2013 Niloy rated it it was amazing
It was amazing. Inspiring. Truly there's a lot to learn from it.
Michael
Dec 30, 2008 Michael rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone who dreams
that my dreams of building a home are still alive, and if i did it would look something like one of these. my ex-girlfriend and i had a copy of this in our collection for years, and she got it in the split. just found my copy down the street in a good bookshop near my house. kinda hard to find. i stayed in mark's yert in olympia, and waking up in the morning with vines growing through my bed brought it "home".
Meara
Feb 24, 2008 Meara rated it really liked it
Endless Drool.
Jonas
Jonas added it
Aug 16, 2016
d.
d. rated it really liked it
Sep 19, 2016
Rowan Stanley
Rowan Stanley rated it it was ok
Jul 11, 2016
Paige Carter
Paige Carter marked it as to-read
Jun 26, 2016
Teri
Teri marked it as to-read
Jun 20, 2016
Paul Mauer
Paul Mauer marked it as to-read
Jun 23, 2016
Rober Fierro
Rober Fierro marked it as to-read
Jun 08, 2016
William Reveley
William Reveley rated it it was amazing
Aug 20, 2016
Roteak
Roteak marked it as to-read
May 12, 2016
Joseph Wessel
Joseph Wessel marked it as to-read
May 09, 2016
Don K.
Don K. added it
Mar 16, 2016
Jessie
Jessie marked it as to-read
Feb 21, 2016
Marni Boynton
Marni Boynton rated it it was amazing
Jan 30, 2016
Victoria Manning
Victoria Manning rated it it was amazing
Jan 21, 2016
Al Imboden
Al Imboden rated it it was amazing
Jan 10, 2016
Richard Miller
Richard Miller rated it really liked it
Jan 04, 2016