Handmade Houses: A Guide to the Woodbutcher's Art

Handmade Houses: A Guide to the Woodbutcher's Art

4.68 of 5 stars 4.68  ·  rating details  ·  72 ratings  ·  11 reviews
If you have ever thought about getting it all together...time, energy, land, materials...to build something of your very own, this book may entice you to take the fatal step. Author, Art Boericke and Photographer Barry Shapiro have traveled for years to the ends of many rural road in order to visit and record the best owner-built structures they could.
Published February 1st 1985 by A & W Pub (first published 1973)

To ask other readers questions about Handmade Houses, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Handmade Houses

The Mystic Princesses and the Whirlpool by P.J. LaRueSilent Spring by Rachel CarsonCradle to Cradle by William McDonoughThe Omnivore's Dilemma by Michael PollanThe Urban Homestead (Expanded & Revised Edition) by Kelly Coyne
Being "Green"
147th out of 249 books — 151 voters

More lists with this book...

Jeremy
This book and Woodstock Handmade Houses caught my attention at just the right time when I was in high school. I dreamed of building myself a place in the middle of the woods and transcending the complexities of life. Though that has yet to happen, I still return to these for inspiration and proof that it can be done.

The photographs here are beautiful and reflect an endangered aesthetic. When I walk into a house like those depicted here, I feel something that other houses lack. In fact, I was in...more
Andrea
Feb 25, 2008 Andrea rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: builders, dreamers, children
Arwen and I simultaneously and independently purchased copies of this book from the Friends of the San Francisco Library book sale. This book proves that building with recycled materials and reducing your energy/resource footprint is by no means a sacrifice. In the Foreword by Sim Van der Ryn (The School of Architecture, UC Berkeley) he implores us to ignore "an economy whose values are the magnitude of production and consumption." Easily and joyfully done, if only I get to live in one of these...more
Clare
Love this book. Definitely of it's time, it documents hand made houses in the '60's - made from anything to hand - architectural salvage, driftwood, spare timber. Much reference to the "awesomeness of listening to Raga's" in a sympathetic house. My dad had this book and always planned to make one. Now the mantle has been handed on to me - watch this space.
Koeeoaddi
Oct 26, 2013 Koeeoaddi rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Mr. Lennar & Mr. D.H. Horton
I still love these goofy hippie houses and if I could find one, still standing, off a ways from this bee hive of crammed together stucco, fake adobe and miles of tile roofs, I'd buy it.

(Excepting the seriously unlovely geodesic dome homes, of course. They look just like big wooden warts.)
James
Absolutely gorgeous. This is a picture book of wildly varied houses united by the owners having followed their dreams in building their own visions, and in most cased by their having made extensive use of recycled lumber and other materials. A great source of ideas and inspiration.
Ron
A wonderful look at some wild and creative structures. The ingenuity of design of these hand made homes is remarkable. Most of the examples are located in out of the way places and far away from building inspectors.
Amy
Living in the sticks... literally. This is a slim coffee-table book of rather beautiful handbuilt, rustic cottages and shacks. Quaint, inspirational, romantic.
Ben
Beautiful photos of handmade houses. Makes me feel wistful for a time I didn't even know.
Niloy
It was amazing. Inspiring. Truly there's a lot to learn from it.
Michael
Dec 30, 2008 Michael rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone who dreams
that my dreams of building a home are still alive, and if i did it would look something like one of these. my ex-girlfriend and i had a copy of this in our collection for years, and she got it in the split. just found my copy down the street in a good bookshop near my house. kinda hard to find. i stayed in mark's yert in olympia, and waking up in the morning with vines growing through my bed brought it "home".
Meara
Endless Drool.
Sirona
Sirona added it
Aug 04, 2014
Tim
Tim marked it as to-read
Jul 27, 2014
Josh
Josh marked it as to-read
Jul 20, 2014
Katja Grgurić
Katja Grgurić marked it as to-read
Jul 10, 2014
Ashley Ong
Ashley Ong marked it as to-read
Jul 08, 2014
Rose Maria
Rose Maria marked it as to-read
Apr 28, 2014
Kbarbera
Kbarbera marked it as to-read
Apr 24, 2014
Natalie
Natalie marked it as to-read
Mar 30, 2014
Jessie
Jessie marked it as to-read
Mar 18, 2014
Anne
Anne marked it as to-read
Mar 07, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Handmade Houses Handmade homes: The natural way to build houses The Craftsman Builder The Craftsman Builder