Start by marking “Das Kettenlädenmassaker” as Want to Read:
Das Kettenlädenmassaker

Das Kettenlädenmassaker (Brentford #5)

3.93  ·  Rating Details ·  1,062 Ratings  ·  22 Reviews
There is nothing more powerful than a bad idea whose time has come. And there can be few ideas less bad or more potentially apocalyptic than that hatched by genetic scientist Dr. Stephen Malone. Using DNA strands extracted from the dried blood on the Turin Shroud, Dr. Malone is cloning Jesus.
Published (first published December 1997)

To ask other readers questions about Das Kettenlädenmassaker, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Das Kettenlädenmassaker

John Bullock
Jul 29, 2012 John Bullock rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My first taste of Robert Rankin's work was the BBC radio adaptation of The Brightonomicon. I found it to be hilarious, so, of course, I went on to read the novel. I thoroughly enjoyed it, and was pleased to find that it was the eighth book in a "trilogy" of nine, and promptly began buying the rest of the series.

The Brentford Chainstore Massacre is the fifth book in the series and, in my opinion, the best (chronologically speaking) so far. The writing style that attracted me to the series in The
Jason
Sep 05, 2012 Jason rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The first Robert Rankin book I purchased, mainly because of the title and it's amazing cover.

In this outing Rankin decides it's time to resurrect Jesus seeing as the new millennium nearly upon us. there is also a love interest for Pooley at long last, poor bloke needed to get some. Complete lunacy as you would expect from Rankin as Brentford come up with a way of celebrating the millennium early and getting some cash from the millennium grant. Fantastic writing with perfect comedic timing.
Jo Woolfardis
[Quick review from memory before I re-read and re-review at a later date]

(Little memory of the plot, though from the rating it must have been a grand one. Polley, O'Malley? Marchant... hmm. One of the ones where I learn something new, that's what it feels like.)
Sean Keefe
Nov 13, 2016 Sean Keefe rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The best of the Brentford trilogy, aka "the uplifting one with the millennium"
Isabel (kittiwake)
'And the lights upon the allotment,' said Soap, 'what would you take those to be?'
'The work of the council,' said Omally firmly, 'another plot to confound honest golfers.'
Soap burst into a paroxysm of laughter. Tears rolled down his pale cheeks and he clutched at his stomach.
'Come now,' said Pooley, 'it is no laughing matter, these lads have it in for us.'
'Have it in for you?' gasped Soap between convulsions. 'You witness a test run of laser-operated gravitational landing beams, the product
Joseph Teller
Fifth in the Trilogy set around the Characters of Jim Pooley and John Omalley, this book has as much to do with taking all the wild 'Milllennial Madness' and waving it around as something insane and silly as it does back developing the history of Jim & John and why they live in Brentford like their ancestors before them and why weird things happening there often involve them.

It's all about there being nothing more powerful than a bad idea whose time has come.... and the silliness about the y
Angela Beske
Apr 04, 2016 Angela Beske rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Rankin calls this book "The fifth novel in the now legendary Brentford Trilogy" and rightly so: Pooley, O'Malley, The Professor: they are all back and have a ton of adventures. The Lady With The Straw Hat, a new character, seems to have a very important role. (no spoilers here!!!)
The difference to the other books in the series is that Rankin unloads every writing style that he "had not tried before" - may it be endless sentences that cover a whole page or the chapter with all of the "F" words:
"
Shane
Aug 19, 2012 Shane rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: humour
Very funny, as usual. I always enjoy these novels. I feel I know the characters so well by now too. This was one of the better ones too, which is saying a lot because they're all good anyway.

This ones about Poole and O'Malley attempting to get their hands on a large amount of coin, as they say from the Millennium funding committee, or some such body. Also involved in the shenanigans is a Doctor who clones two boys from the blood of Jesus on the Turin Shroud and yet another attempt to renovate T
Nathan Dehoff
This book is a return to Rankin’s original heroes, Jim Pooley and John Omally of Brentford. It’s also a return to the titles that sound cool but don’t directly relate to the plot. The overlapping plots this time around involve a mad doctor who is attempting to clone Jesus, and the discovery that a set of scrolls from the Vatican will allow Brentford to celebrate the millennium a few years early. As might be expected, there’s also a demonic being, this time the head of the Millennial Committee wh ...more
Ade Couper
Mar 29, 2012 Ade Couper rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
More from Mr Rankin , that most excellent purveyor of far-fetched fiction...

This tome finds us back in Brentford , in the company once again of Jim Pooley & John O'Malley , erstwhile individuals , patrons of The Flying Swan , & untroubled by mere employment. This time the yarn involves the lost days of Brentford , Demons , clones of .....well, it would spoil it to tell you, & general mayhem . It is , as you'd expect , bloody excellent .

Benjamin Kahn
Apr 29, 2016 Benjamin Kahn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very amusing book. It seemed somewhat of a cross between Christopher Moore and Jasper Fforde. There were a number of jokes that referred back to the fact that you were reading a novel and commented on the reader's expectations. Despite that, the plot was interesting enough and moved along at a good clip. I would definitely try another of Rankin's books.
Steven Shroyer
Aug 17, 2011 Steven Shroyer rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
While this book is a bit dated(it was released in 1997) this book is a funny, oddball romp that deserves a repeat reading. For fans of such British Humor authors like Douglas Adams and Terry Pratchett
Richard Penn
This book has a clever title, and is reasonably well written, but it seems lazy and self-indulgent. We have no real sense that the main character, or indeed Brentford, is in any danger. And all we learn about Brentford is that the author despises it, like Little Whingeing, in JKR's books.
Maria
Jan 07, 2012 Maria rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ranking as bonkers as ever although I must admit this wasn't my favourite of the adventures of messrs Pooley and O'Malley.
Dan
Oct 27, 2008 Dan rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good for a luagh, Rankins books always have surreal orignal wit and clever plot twists. The characters are always likeable without being fleshed out unnecessarly. Good fun
Catfantastic
Parts of this were laugh-out-loud funny, and parts of it tried really really hard to be laugh-out-loud funny and just weren't.
I Wilson
Intriguing but confusing, personally didn't feel that attached to characters
Richard Thomas
Oct 22, 2014 Richard Thomas rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
The early Rankins are all delightful heart-stoppingly funny and essential comic sci-fi reading with hidden treasures on every page
Jane Walker
Oct 05, 2012 Jane Walker rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
Rankin's humour is a matter of taste. The book is comic, even mad, but there were times when I didn't find it all that funny.
Darren
Darren rated it it was amazing
Nov 05, 2012
Max Longstone
Max Longstone rated it liked it
Jan 23, 2016
Jarosław Rejniak
Jarosław Rejniak rated it really liked it
Jun 07, 2013
Bigumacku
Bigumacku rated it really liked it
Jun 15, 2013
Thomas
Thomas rated it it was ok
Feb 22, 2016
Jenny
Jenny rated it really liked it
May 05, 2014
Noel Kavanagh
Noel Kavanagh rated it it was ok
Nov 15, 2013
Michael
Michael rated it really liked it
Jul 02, 2011
Paul
Paul rated it it was amazing
Apr 20, 2013
Linda Van
Linda Van rated it liked it
Jan 21, 2017
Navitha Sadasivan
Navitha Sadasivan rated it it was amazing
Jul 10, 2015
  • Open Sesame
  • Last Tango in Aberystwyth (Aberystwyth Noir, #2)
  • A Tourist Guide to Lancre
"When Robert Rankin embarked upon his writing career in the late 1970s, his ambition was to create an entirely new literary genre, which he named Far-Fetched Fiction. He reasoned that by doing this he could avoid competing with any other living author in any known genre and would be given his own special section in WH Smith."
(from Web Site Story)

Robert Rankin describes himself as a teller of tall
More about Robert Rankin...

Brentford (9 books)
  • The Antipope
  • The Brentford Triangle
  • East of Ealing
  • The Sprouts of Wrath
  • Sex and Drugs and Sausage Rolls
  • Knees Up Mother Earth (Brentford Trilogy)
  • The Brightonomicon (Brentford, #8)
  • Retromancer