Start by marking “The Fat Cat Sat on the Mat” as Want to Read:
The Fat Cat Sat on the Mat

The Fat Cat Sat on the Mat

4.05 of 5 stars 4.05  ·  rating details  ·  548 ratings  ·  50 reviews
The fat cat sat on the mat. "Get off!" said the rat. But the fat cat just sat. Will the rat get the fat cat off the mat?
Published July 17th 1998 by HarperCollins

To ask other readers questions about The Fat Cat Sat on the Mat, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Fat Cat Sat on the Mat

David
Nov 17, 2014 David rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: cadl, kids
The book is good, but we were a little disappointed. The title had all the early words our five-year-old granddaughter first learned, but it turned out to be harder to read than the title would suggest. Expected it to be more like Cat Days, her favorite early reader.
SallySnowtiger
The Fat Cat on the Mat
1st grade
Karlin uses color, cartoon-like illustrations that depict the characters and scenes. There is a lot of rhyme words such as “cat, rat, hat, mat, bat, room, broom” making it a perfect for young readers’ vocabulary development. 1st graders will really enjoy this book and most likely want to hear it several times because the rhyme and humor make this book fun. The rat fights with the cat over a mat. The rat brings in several of his friends to help support his cause, su
Keeko
What a gem! This is an "I Can Read" book, and it would have made me love reading. It's one of those books that if you had read it when you were a beginning reader, you would always remember it with a smile, and if you wer lucky enough to have been able to hold on to it through you life, you would always treasure it, and smile each time, you read it again.
Amy
The title doesn't sound like it belongs to a five star book, but it totally applies. A beginning reader that is engaging and funny, using words that my kiddo can read warrants five stars from me.
Elijah Libert
It is funny that the rat kept trying to get the fat cat off the mat, but he kept getting smaller things to get him off. And it never worked out.
Bree
Notes:
awful -- not a cute cat book like we thought
witch on a broom, the words hate/little brat/stupid
characters have snotty attitudes and say 'so what'
Janet
Most peculiar and awesome narrative in an easy reader. Ever.
Rosanne Limoncelli
This just might be my favorite book of all times.
Melanie, Aaron, Annie, and Mary Project
Read by: Annie
Genre: poetry
Author: Nurit Karlin
Interest Level: PK - 1
Grade Level Equivalent: 1.3
Lexile: 220L

This is a great book for early readers and those learning about word families. A witch's fat cat sat on a mat that is usually claimed by her rat. The rat gets his bat and his hat to tell the cat to get off the mat, but the cat will not. They try to lure him away with a fish on a dish, but the cat is too smart for that. The witch returns and asks the rat what makes him think the mat is his,
I bought this for my niece for her birthday, I had to read it first though. :)
Gabriella
This is a humorous story about a cat who sits on a mat and enrages a rat. The rat uses a bat, hat, dish, and fish to persuade the cat to get off of the mat but the cat will not be out-smarted. This story was composed of sight words and filled with rhyming words in order for any beginning reader to easily read along. I remember reading this as a child and I felt so accomplished to get all the words correct without getting tongue-tied from all of the rhymes.
Brittany Bean
This book is about a witch named Wilma. Wilma has a pet cat, rat and bat. I really like this book because there is a whole lot of rhyming. This book will let children become familiar with rhyming and after the book you could have a child say a word and then the other children have to come up with a word that rhymes with it. I think this is a great book for the classroom and there are activities that you can branch off and do from this book.

Sarah Stumphf
Good book for early readers, not so great for a bedtime story.
Lori
The fat cat sat on the rat's mat. The rat hates the cat. One night, Wilma (the owner of both rat and fat cat) leaves and the rat is determined to get the fat cat to move. What will the rat do to get him to move? And, in the end the mat is the most relieved.

Book for a beginner reader who is learning sight words and simple sentences, Pre-k to Kindergarten.
Shelli
While this style book lacks great story telling it serves another equally important purpose: to build confident young readers. How proud is every small child when they can read a book on their own for the first time? The repetitive language with simple words and accompanying pictures makes this a must have book for all budding readers.
Samantha
This book caught my eye because of the excessive use of "at" words. There are also rhyming phrases aside from the /at/ sound. The storyline has a problem/solution as well as progressive additions. It would be good to teach "at" words, rhyming, sequencing, and problem and solution recognition.
Jonathan
This book has a somewhat scattered rhyme scheme, and a somewhat scattered plot. And although is does well to teach kids familiar sounding words and might do wonders for fluency; it's a shallow book with little to no motivation driving its plot.
Lisa
I read this book to Lila, she enjoyed it. It was short enough to hold her attention and fun for her to listen to. I am also going to let my cast study student borrow it in hopes to promote confidence!
Jennifer Borduin
Not a huge fan of the storyline. It was very hard to follow and kinda lengthy for a rhyming book. However, this would be a great book for a code breaking activity with the root -at.
Michael
i love kids cat bbooks.
Jaime
Truman is really figuring out how words rhyme. It's very cute, and fun to hear him say them, and to read the ones he can write. This book was funny, and enjoyable to read.
Deborah Harris
AR Quiz No. 16856 EN Fiction
Accelerated Reader Quiz Information IL: LG - BL: 1.9 - AR Pts: 0.5
Accelerated Reader Quiz Type Information AR Quiz Types: RP, RV, VP
Bethany
My prime choice to teach a student about rhyming. The "at" family is heavily represented and can be a great starter book in Kindergarten for the topic.
Laneika Cason
PB12. Not one of my favorites but the rhyming words provide quite a nice flow for the little ones who are just learning to read.
Libby
Simple rhymes and repetitive language tell an interesting story that is simple enough to encourage an early emerging reader.
Dani
Jun 14, 2007 Dani rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: beginning readers
Shelves: easyreaders
I am a reading teacher and I love to give this book to my entering first and second graders. As an adult I still love this book.
Olivia
I read this in Kindergarten. Now my little sister is reading it. I learned that you need to share your things.
Cami
Hilarious story about a cat who won't get off of the rat's mat. Loved it enough to read it aloud to my husband.
  • Oliver
  • Thomas and the School Trip (Thomas & Friends)
  • More Spaghetti, I Say! (Hello Reader, Level 2)
  • Biscuit's New Trick
  • Big Egg
  • The Berenstain Bears And The Baby Chipmunk
  • Max Spaniel: Dinosaur Hunt
  • I Like Bugs
  • Morris the Moose
  • Henry and Mudge and the Forever Sea (Henry and Mudge, #6)
  • Buzz Said the Bee (Hello Reader, Level 1) (Hello Reader)
  • No More Monsters for Me!
  • Good Driving, Amelia Bedelia
  • Apple Trouble!
  • Clifford Makes a Friend
  • Splat the Cat: Splat the Cat Sings Flat
Abra Cadabra and the Tooth Witch [With Pillow and Tooth Bag] I See, You Saw Ten Little Bunnies The Tooth Witch Hebrew a Language Course Level 2