Start by marking “The No-Nonsense Guide to Fair Trade” as Want to Read:
The No-Nonsense Guide to Fair Trade

The No-Nonsense Guide to Fair Trade (No-Nonsense Guides)

3.64 of 5 stars 3.64  ·  rating details  ·  44 ratings  ·  8 reviews
The uproar at the World Trade Organization conference in Seattle focused attention on the conflict between the mainly western-owned global corporations and the poorer nations whose natural resources and cheap manpower sustain corporate profits, and who are also the unwilling purchasers of overpriced and inappropriate goods. In this book David Ransom vividly reveals the rea ...more
Published May 17th 2001 by Verso (first published 2001)

To ask other readers questions about The No-Nonsense Guide to Fair Trade, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The No-Nonsense Guide to Fair Trade

This was the resource I was looking for to truly understand what the fair trade movement is about. The introduction explains how supposed free trade is making people in many global south countries poorer; and clearly illuminates the results of NAFTA on the people of Mexico including farmers and factory workers. The subsequent chapters are in-depth examinations of the trade economics of products including bananas, coffee, cocoa and blue jeans. A must-read for anyone interested in trade justice.
"No-nonsense" is the perfect way to describe this book. It's dense with facts and information about fair trade. For the most part, I felt the information was unbiased. I really enjoyed reading the personal stories behind many material things we often take for granted. Fair trade is a topic close to my heart and this book offers a compelling argument in its favor.
Cristiane Bonezzi
I was curious to learn more about the concept of "fair trade" and this book was very informative. It shows several examples of fair trade initiatives and compares the notion of "free trade" and "fair trade", besides questioning what sort of fair trade we should try to enhance in our society.
Trade can provide sustainable livelihoods to communities in the Majority World. This book is full of facts and information about fair trade and the benefits it can bring.
Another densely written volume aimed at high schoolers doing research. Really meant for Grade 10 an above. A little dated, given the publishing date of 2001.
Carinna Tarvin
Felt like I was being lectured to by a completely biased, long-winded old white guy who was very proud of himself for traveling.
I've only read the coffee part of this little book, but it was very thorough, informative and unbiased.
Mar 25, 2009 Kris rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: econ
Good, short intro to fair trade.
Emma Walsh
Emma Walsh marked it as to-read
Jul 20, 2015
Leigh Faulkner
Leigh Faulkner marked it as to-read
Jul 15, 2015
Braelyn Snow
Braelyn Snow marked it as to-read
Jul 12, 2015
Laken marked it as to-read
Apr 30, 2015
Myr added it
Mar 28, 2015
Emma marked it as to-read
Feb 15, 2015
Erin marked it as to-read
Jan 05, 2015
Kelly is currently reading it
Dec 19, 2014
Mark marked it as to-read
Aug 28, 2014
Leone marked it as to-read
Aug 21, 2014
Leah marked it as to-read
Aug 04, 2014
Jessica Voight
Jessica Voight marked it as to-read
Jun 07, 2014
Maddy added it
May 25, 2014
Carolina Vosátková
Carolina Vosátková marked it as to-read
May 23, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

No-Nonsense Guides (1 - 10 of 36 books)
  • The No-Nonsense Guide to Animal Rights