Start by marking “Jingle the Brass” as Want to Read:
Jingle the Brass

Jingle the Brass

3.39 of 5 stars 3.39  ·  rating details  ·  31 ratings  ·  9 reviews
"Climb aboard and ride the point!"

Step back in time to Ruby's rail-yard hash house and put on the nosebag with the boss hogger. He'll tell you he likes his eggs with headlights, but if you want scrambled, just order wreck on the main line. Follow him as he and his ashcat warm up engine number 417 at the roundhouse, give her a drink at the water tower, and then hitch her up
Published September 10th 2004 by Farrar, Straus and Giroux (BYR)

To ask other readers questions about Jingle the Brass, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Jingle the Brass

As a time-traveling train engineer, I find life in the 21st century to be a bit difficult. Sometimes, when I'm reading a book to my child, I have to look up every other word. Sure, I know what an iPord is now, but there are times that I just want to be able to understand a book all the way through. It doesn't happen often.

Then I found "Jingle The Brass" in a pile of books that my 21st century wife had deemed "unreadable." I casually opened it and...WHAT A FIND! Not only is the book devoid of sto
Cute book, great illustrations, and fun jargon (in text explanations/context clues as well as a glossary in the back).
Jim Sibigtroth
Slang related to early railroad lingo.
This book does a pretty good job of bringing train jargon into some understandable context though at times it seemed as though fitting in some new phrase trumped the quality of the story. I liked it anyway. It's a book worth having in the collection for the children that live and die by trains. If nothing else, it gives them a reprieve from the nonfiction texts that are so plentiful on the topic.
My boys picked this book out because they like trains, but when the reader of the book has to be looking up very other word to see what kind of locomotive/train slang is being used, it turns out to be a chore to read and not something pleasurable.
narrated from perspective of a steam train engineer, this book provides historical perspective of trains in the 1920s. includes so much jargon that a glossary is part of the book. girls enjoyed it (twice) as did resident train buff.
Jan 20, 2013 Teri rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: trains
Fun! Dad really enjoyed reading this railroad lingo with our kids and describing to them how a steam engine works. We're excited to read it with our retired railroad engineer uncle this week.
Colin E.c.
Um. I love trains. You love trains just like me. Some cousins do too. I love you.
Amie marked it as to-read
Aug 04, 2015
Aiyah marked it as to-read
Jul 31, 2015
Emily Leeds
Emily Leeds marked it as to-read
Mar 08, 2015
Karie marked it as to-read
Dec 03, 2014
R. added it
Nov 28, 2014
Megan marked it as to-read
Jun 16, 2015
Writing for children is the hardest thing I’ve ever done—the field is intensely competitive. But I write because I can’t imagine not writing. I write for myself and for the kids who read my work. I write for the joy of seeing a kid sitting in the front row at a school visit, hand stretched high to answer my questions. I write for the kid who tells me he already owns one of my books and has read it ...more
More about Patricia Newman...