Between Silence and Light: Spirit in the Architecture of Louis I. Kahn

Between Silence and Light: Spirit in the Architecture of Louis I. Kahn

4.28 of 5 stars 4.28  ·  rating details  ·  76 ratings  ·  7 reviews
In the development of contemporary architecture, no one has had a greater influence than Louis I. Kahn, whose many buildings include the Salk Institute, the Yale Study Center, and the Exeter Library. He is remembered, however, not only as a master builder, but also as one of the most important and creative thinkers of the twentieth century.

For Kahn, the study of architect...more
Published September 9th 2008 by Shambhala (first published July 12th 1979)

Wendy Dubow  Polins
My architecture hero. Filled with quotes, drawings, photographs and the inspiration for his many visionary projects.
James

My interest in architecture was encouraged more than four years ago when I viewed the documentary My Architect based on the life of Louis Kahn. Kahn (1902-1974) was one of the great architects of the twentieth century. John Lobell described Louis Kahn's approach to architecture best in the introduction to his book on Kahn, Between Silence and Light:

Louis Kahn saw architecture as the meeting of the measurable and the unmeasurable. He used the word "Silence" for the unmeasurable, for that which is...more
Paul
A concise and wonderful insight into the mind, writing and architecture of Louis Kahn. A appreciated the blend of Kahn's own words alongside project images, as well as more detailed project examinations by the author. A fascinating and brilliant man, I will be reading more about Kahn.
Michael
The architectural criticism and entries on Kahn's buildings are very interesting and written for the general reader, but the paraphrased quotes of Kahn's lectures seem like infantile, teenage Buddhism and made me lose a little respect for him as a teacher.
Bob
Perfect coffee table book in an architect's studio. The didactic philo. of an archetype seeker.
Jessica King
beautiful, Kahn's a smart guy
주애 김
주애 김 is currently reading it
Jul 14, 2014
Sebastjan Cvelbar
Sebastjan Cvelbar marked it as to-read
Jul 04, 2014
Shannon
Shannon marked it as to-read
Jul 02, 2014
Ehsan
Ehsan marked it as to-read
Jun 25, 2014
Karen Pusin
Karen Pusin marked it as to-read
Jun 16, 2014
Judie
Judie marked it as to-read
Jun 11, 2014
Visnja Vukicevic
Visnja Vukicevic marked it as to-read
May 28, 2014
Chris Bowes
Chris Bowes marked it as to-read
May 24, 2014
Jay
Jay marked it as to-read
May 20, 2014
Kanutte Næss
Kanutte Næss marked it as to-read
May 06, 2014
Xhia
Xhia added it
Apr 28, 2014
Ismael Yakut
Ismael Yakut marked it as to-read
Apr 22, 2014
Miriam
Miriam marked it as to-read
Apr 22, 2014
Piumi Somarathna
Piumi Somarathna marked it as to-read
Apr 15, 2014
Mostak Ahmed
Mostak Ahmed marked it as to-read
Apr 03, 2014