Start by marking “The Mythic Tarot Book” as Want to Read:
The Mythic Tarot Book

Juliet Sharman-Burke

The Mythic Tarot Book

3.91 of 5 stars 3.91  ·  rating details  ·  247 ratings  ·  22 reviews
First published in 1986, The Mythic Tarot is now established as a classic deck. Its beautiful cards depict the archetypal characters and life experiences of Greek mythology. Retold here in concise and accessible form by Liz Greene and Juliet Sharman-Burke, these dramatic and exciting tales reveal profound truths that are reflected in every facet of our lives today. Present ...more
Published by Simon & Schuster Australia (first published October 9th 1986)

To ask other readers questions about The Mythic Tarot Book, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Mythic Tarot Book

Kit★
I got this book and the cards back when I was in high school, and my friends and I used to do readings for ourselves all the time. Still have it, actually, it's something I'll probably keep hold of forever. It's been a long time since I did anything with them, but I still love them, especially how this deck is all about Greek mythology, which I've always loved.
Lisa (Harmonybites)
Tarot cards have intrigued me every since I've seen a deck. They're so pretty and mysterious and so different, yet so closely related in look to our familiar playing cards, and so many of the decks are rich in symbolism. I started collecting decks, and even reading them for friends for fun, even though I'm a thorough-going rationalist and don't believe they can be tools of divination. This particular book came with a deck of cards. It's subtitled "a new approach to tarot cards" but really from w ...more
Manda
These belonged to my mother. I had them for years before i ever used them. Now they are one of my priceless possessions. I have actually never read any of the instructional pages in the book. But the language and use of myth in each of the following pages for the cards is beautiful and powerful.
Yannis Theodossis
If you feel more connected to greek myths or find the Rider/Waite tarot too scary for your taste (it's no shame to admit it) then you may try this deck. Knowing the actual myths it refers to (namely Oresteia, Jason's travel, Eros and Psyche and Daedalus' escape) will help you a great deal with your spreads, as every card depicts a moment in the myth's procession. Mind though that the meanings of the cards deviate from the original ones. But if you really want to learn the tarot, you should go on ...more
Kutjupa Karyn
Have had these cards and the book for over 10 years and turn to them whenever I'm deeply troubled or perplexed. The answers have been at times astonishing.
Yvonne Day
Love this deck! It was my very first deck,
Amy Crawford
An excellent introduction to Jungian Psychology and the specific, universal archetypes that the important Greek myths bear. Each person experiences aspects of these archetypes in their lives and in the lives of those around them, and therefore each card will resonate with every person. In some ways it is like a Rorschach test, where the archetypal unconscious tends to project itself onto the myth portrayed. This can be used in psychotherapy as an effective tool for opening clients who may be a l ...more
Maggie
Giving it a 4 on faith as I picked up my deck while travelling in Brazil. My version has very thin cardstock with solid black backs. Thought I was getting something different, then find out it's carried in the U.S., available in English. Oh well, so much for that. If you know your Greek mythology, images are simple, clear and easy to interpret. I woudn't have it as my only deck, but if you have a few and enjoy Greek mythology, it's fine.
Etherealfire
This was my starter tarot kit (different packaging but came with the cards and the book. A great little starter kit!
Lynn Wilson
This book is an excellent read for anyone interested in what Joseph Campbell referred to as the Hero's Journey. It's the companion book to a tarot deck, and it's very psychologically sound, as is everything written by Liz Greene, a jungian analyst and astrologer. This book can be enjoyable read without any prior knowledge of astrology or myth.
The Young Book Collector
The good thing about this book is that it give you the background information on the particular tarot card, but it doesn't really tell you what it means if YOU get the card. You know, if you wanted to read your own tarot cards about yourself but you didn't really know what they mean...So yea.

Rated: 2.5
jacky
Definitely had some fun with this book and the tarot cards that came with it. I really liked how these cards were myth based. That element made the cards easier to understand and more interesting to look at and read about.
Andrea Howarth-Salazar
The way that mythology is interwoven with the traditional meaning of the tarot cards gives the reader more depth of understanding. This was the first tarot book I ever read and it certainly trained me well.
Jovy
This is actually my second tarot book...I like my first tarot book, this book to me is more for the serious tarot card readers. I'm not saying that its not informative because IT IS!!!
Nicola
Simply my favourite tarot deck. But sadly the imagery has been changed this year. So will this become a collectors item?
Jeanette (jema)
New deck of the week The Mythic Tarot. The books looks great too. I need a refreshment in my mythology.
Shanna
The book made the cards a lot of fun to read. It was simple to follow and was clearly written.
Bigcaat
Nice images, flimsey cardstock. Great if you're into Greek Mythology.
Kate Zirkle
Kept me and my friends entertained for AWHILE. Love it.
Teleri
I once owned this deck, based on Greek Mythology. \
Deb White
I enjoyed this book very much. Very creative and helpful.
Lisa
acceptable, binding coming apart, book only
Lides Guevara
Lides Guevara marked it as to-read
Jul 19, 2015
  • The Tarot Handbook
  • Tarot Plain and Simple
  • Tarot for Writers
  • Medicine Cards: The Discovery of Power Through the Ways of Animals
  • Power Tarot: More Than 100 Spreads That Give Specific Answers to Your Most Important Question
  • The Symbolism of the Tarot: Philosophy of Occultism in Pictures and Numbers
  • Jung and Tarot: An Archetypal Journey
  • Shadowscapes Tarot
The Complete Book of Tarot: A Step-by-Step Guide to Reading the Cards Beginner's Guide to Tarot The New Complete Book of Tarot The Mythic Tarot Workbook The New Mythic Tarot