Start by marking “Strength for the Journey: A Pilgrimage of Faith in Community” as Want to Read:
Strength for the Journey: A Pilgrimage of Faith in Community

Strength for the Journey: A Pilgrimage of Faith in Community

In Strength for the Journey, Diana Butler Bass illustrates the dynamic strength and persistence of mainline Protestantism. While many baby boomers left the church, only to come back later in life, Bass was a "stayer" who witnessed the struggles and changes and found much there that was meaningful. Offering thought-provoking portraits of eight parishes she attended over two ...more
Published October 12th 2004 by Jossey-Bass (first published 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Strength for the Journey, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Strength for the Journey

Yvonne
Mar 08, 2015 Yvonne rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: those looking for a more mindful look at Christianity
Recommended to Yvonne by: Tom Bigelow?
October 13, 2004
Ms. Bass tells the story of the evolution and growth of her Christian faith life as well as the growth and development stages of the Episcopal Church in America.
I am surprised at how avidly I read this book. I think it is because it read to me like a Afairy tale@ -- that is the perfect life, the wonderful place to be, following your intellect, studying your heart=s concern and calling -- Jesus and what it means to be Christian.
So what does this tell me about my calling?
Study
Jesus
marcus miller
May 07, 2016 marcus miller rated it really liked it
In Strength for the Journey, Bass explores the changes in her faith by describing her experiences with nine Episcopal churches. Her experiences are not those of a writer who spent a month or so at a church and then moved on. Instead they are her deeply personal reflections on her time as a member of each congregation. Sometimes all went well, sometimes the congregation was struggling, sometimes it was so-so, and at least once it was bad enough, she chose to join another parish. Bass relates the ...more
Melanie
"For several years, my spiritual director and I had explored the same idea. My adolescent faith was filled with fear--fear of the world, fear of hell, fear of punishment, fear of disobeying God's will. As a result of this background, I did not really comprehend God as Love. I could say it, and believe it intellectually, but I could not live into the reality of a God who is completely Love. It took a protracted struggle to convince me emotionally and spiritually that God did, indeed, love humanit ...more
Erin
Feb 18, 2013 Erin rated it liked it
Enjoyed it for the most part, but her ongoing, rapturous homage to Episcopalianism got to be tedious after a while.
Amy Paget
Jun 13, 2015 Amy Paget rated it really liked it
I have just finished Diana Butler Bass's Strength for the Journey. The book chronicles the author's 9-congregation journey over 5 years as she experienced many of the changes working their way through mainline Protestantism. It's both a personal spiritual biography and a church narrative. Extremely well-written and full of many Aha moments for this seeker!
Milton Brasher-Cunningham
Aug 26, 2016 Milton Brasher-Cunningham rated it really liked it
I found a number of intersections in her journey of faith that resonated with mine. The power in her story and in her telling is the ways in which she broadens the reach to be more than just a personal memoir and creates room for the reader to find themselves on the journey.
Alan
Sep 24, 2016 Alan rated it really liked it
An interesting view of the current state of mainline churches in the US. Longer review here: http://eyesandearsblog.blogspot.com/2...
Liddy Barlow
Sep 28, 2007 Liddy Barlow rated it really liked it
Shelves: religion, memoir, 2007
This is an unusual book: it's a spiritual autobiography that follows a familiar trajectory (from fundamentalism to liberalism), but it's also the story of the very different Episcopal congregations across the country with whom Bass worshipped. So, it becomes a history of the past twenty years of the Protestant mainline as well as an insightful personal journey. It was written before the most recent controversies around the consecration of Gene Robinson; I'd be curious to see an updated edition.
Meredith
Jun 17, 2008 Meredith rated it it was amazing
Diana Butler Bass is one of my heros. She says that she's an academic, but she's also a church-goer. I love that she says "but," like those two things don't usually go together. This is her faith memoire, her story of faith as she's travled through different churches and different stages in her life. I've never heard any acadmic person talk about their faith in such a personal and real way before; the story of following Jesus isn't just abstract to her, it's her story.
Pat
Apr 15, 2009 Pat rated it really liked it
A thought provoking book about one woman's spiritual and life journey. She is also a teacher of theology, so she puts her conclusions about the different churches she attends in the mix too. I enjoyed the book especially hearing about her struggles and how she changed her way of spiritual thinking. Very well written and yet easily read.
Susan
Feb 14, 2012 Susan rated it it was amazing
This book was both comforting and life changing for me . To get the details, read my comments on my blog: http://www.singingthejourney.com/?p=940
Kristin
Aug 10, 2013 Kristin rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2013
Loved reading someone else's struggles with religion and spirituality
Margaret
Apr 23, 2008 Margaret rated it liked it
We used this for a Lenten book study this year.
Tami Groth
Tami Groth marked it as to-read
Sep 10, 2016
Pam Hricenak
Pam Hricenak rated it really liked it
Sep 10, 2016
Joy
Joy marked it as to-read
Aug 26, 2016
Sarah added it
Sep 13, 2016
Leonard Mare
Leonard Mare rated it really liked it
Sep 02, 2016
Rachel
Rachel marked it as to-read
Aug 16, 2016
Nick Mahlstadt
Nick Mahlstadt rated it really liked it
Jul 07, 2016
Kelsey Price
Kelsey Price marked it as to-read
Jun 05, 2016
Donna Addkison
Donna Addkison marked it as to-read
May 08, 2016
Jesse Stricklan
Jesse Stricklan marked it as to-read
Apr 05, 2016
Benjamin
Benjamin rated it it was amazing
Feb 22, 2016
Brenda Mayberry
Brenda Mayberry marked it as to-read
Dec 24, 2015
Ben Fike
Ben Fike marked it as to-read
Sep 05, 2016
Sharon
Sharon marked it as to-read
Oct 16, 2015
Tara Tetzlaff
Tara Tetzlaff rated it liked it
Sep 09, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Diana Butler Bass is an author, speaker, and independent scholar specializing in American religion and culture. She holds a PhD in religious studies from Duke University and is the author of seven books, including the bestselling Christianity for the Rest of Us, released by HarperOne in 2006. It was named as one of the best religion books of the year by Publishers Weekly and Christian Century, won ...more
More about Diana Butler Bass...