Start by marking “Monet's Table: The Cooking Journals of Claude Monet” as Want to Read:
Monet's Table: The Cooking Journals of Claude Monet

Monet's Table: The Cooking Journals of Claude Monet

4.14  ·  Rating Details  ·  108 Ratings  ·  19 Reviews
One of the most influential painters of modern times, Claude Monet lived for half his life in the famous house at Giverny. It was after moving here in 1883 with his future second wife, Alice Hoschedé, and their eight children that Monet's work finally achieved recognition. His growing success meant that he was able to indulge his passion for comfort and good living.Family ...more
Published December 12th 2006 by Simon & Schuster (first published May 15th 1990)

To ask other readers questions about Monet's Table, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Monet's Table

Constantine Alexander
Nov 25, 2013 Constantine Alexander rated it it was amazing
A Cook's Paradise.

As a lover of the Impressionist movement, I felt compelled to make the pilgrimage to the house of Claude Monet located a few miles north of Paris in the small town of Giverny, Normandy. Monet's refuge is a shrine of the art world renowned for its beautiful and expansive garden filled with flowers, trees, a lake and its famous bridge.

When I entered Monet's home, the dining room made a strong impression upon me: large, very inviting and splashed in yellow as if Monet had tried to
Charles Bechtel
Jul 09, 2016 Charles Bechtel rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I believe that to do anything great, one must do everything well. Or at least strive to do everything well. This book, light reading, underscores that notion. Gardening, dress, setting a table, preparing a menu, etc, had Monet's touch upon it. If you cook, read. If you garden, read. If you seek in any way to live an elevated life, read. Can't hurt. Four stars because the book does what it intends, and does it well.
Bette Ball
Jun 20, 2015 Bette Ball rated it really liked it
Many beautiful pictures of Giverny, covering the gardens, the inside of the house, the town, the pond and more. Lots of fantastic recipes and table settings. Lot the book especially since I spent a day there...and would do so again if I ever get the chance.
Jun 12, 2011 Jennifer rated it really liked it
Shelves: food
Added Pain de Genes to my baking list to try soon. I owned this book several years ago but didn't have the patience then to read or cook from it. Sadly, I had to sell it during one of our many moves. I was delightfully surprised to discover it once again on the shelf at the library. I enjoyed the first half of the book, tales of Monet's life and idiosyncrasies about food and dining. There were nice stills of food, Giverny, and Monet and family through out. I think I'll look for a more biographic ...more
Crystal Demsky
Nov 18, 2013 Crystal Demsky rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this window into Monet's life at Giverny. As a lover of historical recipes, tableware, table settings, and etiquette; I found this book fascinating. The photographs are a great mix of vintage and new. The first chapters are historical, and the end of the book includes recipes from his journals, which have been updated for current times. The insight into Monet's private life with family and friends was intriguing and made me wish I could've shared lunch with him and the many famo ...more
Eli Nunez
May 04, 2012 Eli Nunez rated it it was amazing
Love this book. Not so much those recipes, too much butter, too much bread, too much sugar and flour. I am on a diet and these recipes are to die for. I will have to wait to cook some of these but... I will.
Totally a different book, exposing Monet's personal life, which was exquisite and I assume happy. I think it is something you can deduct from his paintings.
A brief book, I would recommend to keep yourself entertained one complete afternoon.
Amy
Jun 22, 2009 Amy rated it it was amazing
Monet's Table is perhaps my favorite cookbook. It blends art, architecture, stories, biography, and recipes into one amazing volume. I know I'll never have my own carp pond just outside the kitchen door so that I can prepare fresh fish at my whim (not sure I want to cook or eat carp), but the book itself is fascinating and includes some viable recipes for the 21st century American amateur.
Jan Duncan-O'Neal
Jan 22, 2008 Jan Duncan-O'Neal rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: foodies, art lovers, cooks
I'm a huge fan of the Impressionists and hope to go to France within the year so this book is close to my heart. I'm fascinated with Monet's passion for art in all of its forms--through food, painting, gardening, and living well. I'm also a "foodie" who enjoys trying new recipes, so much so that I read cookbooks in my spare time! This one is a delight to the palate and the eye.
Barb
Jul 09, 2014 Barb rated it really liked it
Very interesting read about the artist's culinary life. The recipes look wonderful-- especially the rabbit pate & duck pie. Oh and the desserts! Nice addition to my historic cooking library.
Nathan
Sep 26, 2007 Nathan rated it it was amazing
this is my favorite cookbook. it has lovely pictures, and a green pistachio cake that i've always wanted to make but haven't yet, and renoir's recipie for soup.
Yvonne
Jan 18, 2013 Yvonne rated it it was amazing
I'm taking my time--really enjoying this book. The pictures and culinary history of this famous French family is very interesting.
Snail in Danger (Sid) Nicolaides
There wasn't much in here that I personally wanted to cook; but it was an interesting read.
pjr8888
Mar 07, 2009 pjr8888 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
artsy and yummy! attempting to socially redeem bad food habits, but great recpies!
Pat evert
Very pretty book...very interesting side of Monet...very good recipes! Different.
Laura Lee
Jun 27, 2012 Laura Lee rated it really liked it
Title kind of deceiving, no real journals. But fun to read and great photos. Enjoyed.
Margaret
Jan 31, 2008 Margaret rated it it was amazing
my favourite cookbook, combining both my joys, france and impressionist art
Catherine Woodman
Jul 29, 2011 Catherine Woodman rated it liked it
GREAT sorrel soup recipe, as well as a good historical read
Jo
Kym
Kym added it
Jul 08, 2016
Nicole Gauss
Nicole Gauss marked it as to-read
Jul 05, 2016
Anne
Anne marked it as to-read
Jul 02, 2016
PRETEUR
PRETEUR marked it as to-read
Jun 30, 2016
Ana Marsh
Ana Marsh marked it as to-read
Jun 28, 2016
James Carey
James Carey marked it as to-read
Jun 26, 2016
Susan
Susan rated it it was amazing
Jul 16, 2016
Davida Temima
Davida Temima marked it as to-read
May 14, 2016
Mirye
Mirye marked it as to-read
May 03, 2016
Tatyana
Tatyana rated it it was amazing
Apr 27, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • The Slow Mediterranean Kitchen: Recipes for the Passionate Cook
  • Honey from a Weed: Fasting and Feasting in Tuscany, Catalonia, the Cyclades and Apulia
  • French Farmhouse Cookbook
  • Monet's Palate Cookbook: The Artist & His Kitchen Garden At Giverny
  • Marcella's Italian Kitchen
  • Please to the Table: The Russian Cookbook
  • The Dean and DeLuca Cookbook
  • New York Cookbook: From Pelham Bay to Park Avenue, Firehouses to Four-Star Restaurants
  • The Tasha Tudor Cookbook: Recipes and Reminiscences from Corgi Cottage
  • English Food
  • Frida's Fiestas: Recipes and Reminiscences of Life with Frida Kahlo
  • The Tex-Mex Cookbook: A History in Recipes and Photos
  • The Escoffier Cookbook: and Guide to the Fine Art of Cookery for Connoisseurs, Chefs, Epicures