Start by marking “Monet's Table: The Cooking Journals of Claude Monet” as Want to Read:
Monet's Table: The Cooking Journals of Claude Monet

Monet's Table: The Cooking Journals of Claude Monet

4.19 of 5 stars 4.19  ·  rating details  ·  91 ratings  ·  18 reviews
One of the most influential painters of modern times, Claude Monet lived for half his life in the famous house at Giverny. It was after moving here in 1883 with his future second wife, Alice Hoschedé, and their eight children that Monet's work finally achieved recognition. His growing success meant that he was able to indulge his passion for comfort and good living.Family ...more
Published December 12th 2006 by Simon & Schuster (first published May 15th 1990)

To ask other readers questions about Monet's Table, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Monet's Table

Constantine Alexander
A Cook's Paradise.

As a lover of the Impressionist movement, I felt compelled to make the pilgrimage to the house of Claude Monet located a few miles north of Paris in the small town of Giverny, Normandy. Monet's refuge is a shrine of the art world renowned for its beautiful and expansive garden filled with flowers, trees, a lake and its famous bridge.

When I entered Monet's home, the dining room made a strong impression upon me: large, very inviting and splashed in yellow as if Monet had tried to
Charles Bechtel
I believe that to do anything great, one must do everything well. Or at least strive to do everything well. This book, light reading, underscores that notion. Gardening, dress, setting a table, preparing a menu, etc, had Money's touch upon it. If you cook, read. If you garden, read. If you seek in any way to live an elevated life, read. Can't hurt. Four stars because the book does what it intends, and does it well.
Added Pain de Genes to my baking list to try soon. I owned this book several years ago but didn't have the patience then to read or cook from it. Sadly, I had to sell it during one of our many moves. I was delightfully surprised to discover it once again on the shelf at the library. I enjoyed the first half of the book, tales of Monet's life and idiosyncrasies about food and dining. There were nice stills of food, Giverny, and Monet and family through out. I think I'll look for a more biographic ...more
Crystal Demsky
I really enjoyed this window into Monet's life at Giverny. As a lover of historical recipes, tableware, table settings, and etiquette; I found this book fascinating. The photographs are a great mix of vintage and new. The first chapters are historical, and the end of the book includes recipes from his journals, which have been updated for current times. The insight into Monet's private life with family and friends was intriguing and made me wish I could've shared lunch with him and the many famo ...more
Eli Nunez
Love this book. Not so much those recipes, too much butter, too much bread, too much sugar and flour. I am on a diet and these recipes are to die for. I will have to wait to cook some of these but... I will.
Totally a different book, exposing Monet's personal life, which was exquisite and I assume happy. I think it is something you can deduct from his paintings.
A brief book, I would recommend to keep yourself entertained one complete afternoon.
Amy
Monet's Table is perhaps my favorite cookbook. It blends art, architecture, stories, biography, and recipes into one amazing volume. I know I'll never have my own carp pond just outside the kitchen door so that I can prepare fresh fish at my whim (not sure I want to cook or eat carp), but the book itself is fascinating and includes some viable recipes for the 21st century American amateur.
Jan Duncan-O'Neal
Jan 22, 2008 Jan Duncan-O'Neal rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: foodies, art lovers, cooks
I'm a huge fan of the Impressionists and hope to go to France within the year so this book is close to my heart. I'm fascinated with Monet's passion for art in all of its forms--through food, painting, gardening, and living well. I'm also a "foodie" who enjoys trying new recipes, so much so that I read cookbooks in my spare time! This one is a delight to the palate and the eye.
Barb
Very interesting read about the artist's culinary life. The recipes look wonderful-- especially the rabbit pate & duck pie. Oh and the desserts! Nice addition to my historic cooking library.
Nathan
this is my favorite cookbook. it has lovely pictures, and a green pistachio cake that i've always wanted to make but haven't yet, and renoir's recipie for soup.
Yvonne
I'm taking my time--really enjoying this book. The pictures and culinary history of this famous French family is very interesting.
Snail in Danger (Sid) Nicolaides
There wasn't much in here that I personally wanted to cook; but it was an interesting read.
pjr8888
artsy and yummy! attempting to socially redeem bad food habits, but great recpies!
Pat evert
Very pretty book...very interesting side of Monet...very good recipes! Different.
Laura Lee
Title kind of deceiving, no real journals. But fun to read and great photos. Enjoyed.
Margaret
my favourite cookbook, combining both my joys, france and impressionist art
Catherine Woodman
GREAT sorrel soup recipe, as well as a good historical read
Jo
Oct 03, 2010 Jo added it
Transports me back to Giverny
Jenni
Beautiful escape.
Chris
Chris marked it as to-read
May 10, 2015
Claudia
Claudia marked it as to-read
May 03, 2015
Totalmente Totality
Totalmente Totality marked it as to-read
Apr 21, 2015
Adam
Adam added it
Mar 28, 2015
Nancy
Nancy marked it as to-read
Mar 18, 2015
Claire Taylor
Claire Taylor marked it as to-read
Feb 26, 2015
Vanessa
Vanessa marked it as to-read
Feb 24, 2015
Kewpie
Kewpie marked it as to-read
Feb 10, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Monet's Cookery Notebooks Claude Monet: Life at Giverny Taste of Giverny Postbooks: Recipes from Monet's Kitchen Claude Monet at Giverny - A Tour and History of the House and Garden