Start by marking “Made You Look” as Want to Read:
Made You Look

Made You Look

Just as film, art, music, and literature have the power to move people, Stefan Sagmeister's innovative work shows that graphic design, too, can cut to the emotional quick. His desire is to transform stale thinking, and Sagmeister: Made You Look does just that.
Compelling, honest, and intensely personal, Made You Look covers 20 years of Sagmeister's graphic design. With a
Published June 1st 2009 by Abrams (first published March 1st 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Made You Look, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Made You Look

James
Nov 06, 2011 James rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Stefan Sagmeister is just brilliant. I could lavish praise upon his work for the entirety of this review, or go ahead and give you a couple of examples of the sort of thing you'll find in this book, which ranges from the many tricks in the physical presentation of the book (all of which will evoke some child like wonder in you), touching journal observations scanned in from his own messy handwriting, hilarious stories (related and otherwise...but always relevant), beautiful work, personal quotes ...more
sanny
I chanced upon this book many years ago when I was visiting Amsterdam, and was so enthralled as I was skimming it I *almost* parted with all of 50 Euros, but for the fact that I was a student travelling on a budget.

Yet I regretted my decision then, for admittedly the one I saw was the hardcover edition (with the psychedelic 3D image slip cover), which is now unavailable to buy online.

As I remembered it, it was very authentic and original, kinda like Bruce Mao but electrified with more wildness
Alexander Charchar
There was a telling moment. In an extract from his journal (snippets of which are about a third of the total content of this book), genius-designer Sagmeister talks about arriving in New York and looking through a book of some of the local design studios' recent work. While much of it was very good, which is no surprise considering it would have been from some of the best studios in the world, he found it boring.

Everything was good; nothing was interesting. And this is all Sagmeister want's to d
Curtis Meeson
Sep 06, 2016 Curtis Meeson rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
As a designer - it makes you want to pick up and quit your job. A completely honest recollection of one of the top designers on how he got to where he is today. Every page is a joy.
T.
Oct 24, 2011 T. rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What design needs in order to touch other people's hearts, according to Stefan Sagmeister (well, I may have paraphrased a little):
1. New perspective. "They have the ability to make me see things in a new way."
2. Trigger of memories. "Somehow they remind me of an experience, maybe childhood."
3. Passion and guts. "They show passion and commitment."
4. Surprise. "There is an element of unexpectedness."
5. Virtuosity. "There is virtuosity of craft or technique - or simply just the astonishment that so
Jeff
Jun 01, 2008 Jeff rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love good design (especially if it's a little transgressive) and I love crazy Austrians, so Stefan Sagmeister is my favorite combination of those things. It's also hard not to like someone who has such an ironic view of his own importance, and who's willing to put himself naked into his own design book, or as he labels it, "Another Self-Indulgent Design Book." The book itself is very cool: it comes in a red plastic jacket, which makes it look like there's a smiling doggy on the front. But when ...more
Julia
Jan 27, 2013 Julia rated it it was amazing
Si tuviera que describirlo en 3 palabras: libro interactivo análogo. La experiencia empieza aún antes de abrir el libro, con la portada y contraportada que revelan cambios al ponerle o quitarle la caja roja que hace de filtro y el efecto de los huesos o el título del libro en el delantero al intentar hojear el libro en ambos sentidos. Una vez empezando la lectura te encuentras con las notas del diario de Sagmeister, a veces en relación con el proyecto que describe el texto principal y a veces si ...more
Aleksei  Ivanovskiy
Aug 07, 2015 Aleksei Ivanovskiy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: design
This book is all about the sense of humor for me, Sagmeister designs are fantastic and surprisingly varied in style and medium, but the humor is just sublime, i just couldn't stop laughing at some pages.
Marc
Aug 07, 2014 Marc rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A fascinating look at 20 years of Stefan Sagmeister's design work, complimented by handwritten notes from his journal. I don't know that I always like the outcome but I respect the continual drive to push himself and to be honest.
Felipevsky
Aug 06, 2012 Felipevsky rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Probably the best design monograph ever written. The confident inclusion of all the bad bits (awful work, stressful moments, etc), really puts the work and development of Sagmeister as a creator close to anyone starting out in this industry. It's not only a display of excellent work, but the story and evolution of a mindset and basically a way of living that can relate to every creative.
Tony
Mar 16, 2008 Tony rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Graphic Design Students
This is one of the few Graphic Design monographs worth reading. Sagmeister’s life is interesting and his written voice is very entertaining. The way his life aligns with his projects allows you to see why he is one of the most sought after graphic designers working. His writing is funny and entertaining and I would recommend this book to designers and non-designers alike.
Caroline
Jan 02, 2013 Caroline rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was inspiring. Not only is Sagmeister great at what he does, he's also honest and brings a lot of insight to the design process. In addition, the book has a lot of fun extras, like the rating system in the index and the designers choosing favorite designs.
Matthew Herring
Mar 01, 2010 Matthew Herring rated it it was amazing
Everything worth knowing about Stefan Sagmeister is in this book.One of the best Graphic Designers in the business takes the reader into his life and process and we come out better, more interesting people on the other end. Well, most of us anyway.
Widgets &
Jan 20, 2011 Widgets & rated it it was amazing
Very inspiring look at the enigmatic and forwarding thinking designer Stefan Sagmeister. Great insight into his process and creativity. Wonderful personal notes on project ups and downs, the business side of work and great client stories.
Paul Rustand
Jan 21, 2010 Paul Rustand rated it really liked it
A great monograph of one of the best graphic designers, Stefan Sagmeister. Loaded with all sorts of fascinating behind-the-scenes tidbits and details, not to mention some pretty amazing design work and interesting clients.
Vicki
Feb 06, 2008 Vicki rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: designers
if you're ever feeling a lack of creativity...this book will fill you up with ideas. not just for graphic design nerds, i love how this book is so unconventional and fresh, even after a few years of sitting on the bookshelf.
Eason King
i used to find this book interesting, cause i like the author very much. i still remember the day i purchased the book together with a coat from http://www.abercrombieparisfr1.eu with my paypal account.
Matthew
May 16, 2007 Matthew rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A great inspiration to any designer, Sagmeister doesn't shy away from the failures and compromises that led him to find his own voice in design. Every page is amazing.
Kosh Koshover
Mar 12, 2009 Kosh Koshover rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Thought this was a great monograph, not only was the work inside great but the text of the book was interesting to read.
Hanna
Mar 23, 2007 Hanna rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Funny, smart and incredibly inspirational. Shows the evolution of a great designer, Stefan Sagmeister.
Justin McDonald
Nov 13, 2011 Justin McDonald rated it it was amazing
This book is amazing. Sadly, spontaneity and authenticity is never quite this easy.
Robanton999
Sep 21, 2008 Robanton999 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone cool/designers
don't take this shit too seriously. have fun and everything will work out.
Moses
Aug 14, 2011 Moses rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is amazing. Stefan Sagmeister, the designer, is simply inspirational.
Coffin
Oct 23, 2010 Coffin rated it really liked it
totally inspiring
Tamiko
Dec 24, 2009 Tamiko rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: artists, esp. designers
Sagmeister is quite a character. I wasn't aware of how honest he really is until I read the text in this book, the excerpts from his business diary are really interesting and forthcoming. I enjoyed reading about his work and the background story of the pieces highlighted in this book. Very talented and is not afraid to say when he regretted not doing better on certain works. I've changed my mind about who I thought he was...a good book for any artist, especially those in commercial design.
Martine
Martine marked it as to-read
Sep 29, 2016
Humble Diane
Humble Diane rated it it was ok
Sep 26, 2016
Deedles
Deedles marked it as to-read
Sep 25, 2016
Andie
Andie marked it as to-read
Sep 25, 2016
  • Make It Bigger
  • Things I Have Learned In My Life So Far
  • The End of Print: The Graphic Design of David Carson
  • 79 Short Essays on Design
  • How to be a Graphic Designer Without Losing Your Soul
  • The Anatomy of Design: Uncovering the Influences and Inspirations in Modern Graphic Design
  • Book One: Work, 1986-2006
  • Graphic Artists Guild Handbook: Pricing & Ethical Guidelines
  • Fingerprint: The Art of Using Hand-Made Elements in Graphic Design
  • Stop Stealing Sheep & Find Out How Type Works
  • Meggs' History of Graphic Design
  • Graphic Design: A Concise History (World of Art)
  • Paul Rand: Conversations with Students
Stefan Sagmeister (born 1962 in Bregenz, Austria) is a New York-based graphic designer and typographer. He has his own design firm—Sagmeister Inc.—in New York City. He has designed album covers for Lou Reed, OK Go, The Rolling Stones, David Byrne, Aerosmith and Pat Metheny.
More about Stefan Sagmeister...