Start by marking “The Sprouts of Wrath” as Want to Read:
The Sprouts of Wrath

The Sprouts of Wrath (Brentford #4)

3.97  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,561 Ratings  ·  13 Reviews
The fourth part of the "Brentford Trilogy". Amazing, but true, Brentford Town Council has agreed to host the next Olympic Games. However, something sinister is afoot in Brentford, and it is up to the regulars of The Flying Swan to save the world as we know it.
Published September 1st 1993 by Corgi Books (first published 1988)

To ask other readers questions about The Sprouts of Wrath, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Sprouts of Wrath

James and the Giant Peach by Roald DahlThe Grapes of Wrath by John SteinbeckFried Green Tomatoes at the Whistle Stop Cafe by Fannie FlaggA Clockwork Orange by Anthony BurgessThe Princess and the Pea by Janet Stevens
Fruits and Vegetables in Titles
51st out of 307 books — 88 voters
First Among Sequels by Jasper FfordeThe Eyre Affair by Jasper FfordeEats, Shoots & Leaves by Lynne TrussBored of the Rings by The Harvard LampoonBratfest at Tiffany's by Lisi Harrison
Titlemania I: Puns in Titles
87th out of 274 books — 71 voters

More lists with this book...

Isabel (kittiwake)
Dec 03, 2011 Isabel (kittiwake) rated it really liked it
'And the lights upon the allotment,' said Soap, 'what would you take those to be?'
'The work of the council,' said Omally firmly, 'another plot to confound honest golfers.'
Soap burst into a paroxysm of laughter. Tears rolled down his pale cheeks and he clutched at his stomach.
'Come now,' said Pooley, 'it is no laughing matter, these lads have it in for us.'
'Have it in for you?' gasped Soap between convulsions. 'You witness a test run of laser-operated gravitational landing beams, the product
Maria
Jan 07, 2012 Maria rated it it was amazing
As good as all of the others, been a while since I finished it and have three other authors books since so cannot give an accurate opinion of the book, but suffice to say thta Pooley and O'Malley are still my homeboys ! :-)
Saoirse Sterling
[Quick review from memory until I re-read and re-review at a later date:

Well, the blurb made me chortle but in general I have no memory.]
Simon Mcleish
Oct 25, 2012 Simon Mcleish rated it liked it
Shelves: owned
Originally published on my blog here in February 2001.

The fourth of Rankin's Brentford series is written along much the same lines as the first three. Following accidents and sabotage, Birmingham has to cancel its Olympics bid at the last minute, and a mysterious sponsor allows Brentford borough council to step in and take over. A stadium appears overnight, in the form of a pentagram made from a revolutionary new anti-gravitational substance, tethered in the air over the buildings of the London
Shane
Aug 19, 2012 Shane rated it really liked it
Shelves: humour
This is the fourth in the trilogy(that isn't really a trilogy) and this time Pooley, Omalley & co. are once more fighting the forces of darkness, this time against the backdrop of the Olympics. To be honest, I think you could run these characters through any situation or adventure with success. The story itself really is more of the same and could do with an injection of a little more originality at this point, but still, I look forward to these ones.

All in all, I think if you're looking for
Paul
Apr 04, 2012 Paul rated it it was amazing
The London (Brentford) Olympics and the end of the world?
One might think that Robert Rankin had jumped on the whole 2012 end of the world bandwagon.
Not so, this book was first released in 1988 and was just every so aptly released by Mr Rankin himself as an e-book for the kindle.

Want to see how the world will end? Well this probably isn't it, but it is an immensley fun read.
Angela
Feb 24, 2016 Angela rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy
Brentford becomes the home of the Olympics, and everything is not as it seems. Something evil is lurking. More story driven than previous books, this has a feeling of finality to it. There are parts that will make you smile, as always. It does get quite dark near the end though, with the fight against evil. A good read.
Oct 20, 2015 Jennifer rated it liked it
Maybe I should have read the first three books in the trilogy before starting the 4th volume. But it was still funny and easy to follow. Much like Pratchett, and set in England...my fave place.
Eireanngobrach
Apr 01, 2008 Eireanngobrach rated it it was amazing
Pure madness but in a very good way. This is just so funny.....dare I say it .... the thinking man's Terry Pratchett. The best thing about this "trilogy" is that it comes in 4 parts !
Jed
Feb 22, 2007 Jed rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Looking for something funny
This is an overlooked hilarious british author. If you like Douglas Adams, hit this guy up.
Mollie
Feb 27, 2009 Mollie marked it as wishlist
The Sprouts of Wrath (Abacus Books) by Robert Rankin (1988)
Oliver
Sep 30, 2015 Oliver rated it really liked it
Superb! Can't wait to read the next one...
Paul Devall
Dec 05, 2011 Paul Devall rated it it was amazing
Proper Rankin. Brentford.
Huong
Huong marked it as to-read
Jul 24, 2016
Martin Jenkins
Martin Jenkins rated it liked it
Jul 22, 2016
Ki
Ki marked it as to-read
Jul 21, 2016
Alex
Alex rated it really liked it
Jul 21, 2016
Peter Moore
Peter Moore rated it liked it
Jul 20, 2016
Sian-Marie Jenkins
Sian-Marie Jenkins rated it it was amazing
Jul 14, 2016
Tracey
Tracey marked it as to-read
Jul 14, 2016
Shannon
Shannon marked it as to-read
Jul 11, 2016
Simon
Simon marked it as to-read
Jul 11, 2016
Andrew Aus
Andrew Aus rated it really liked it
Bernhard Schmid
Bernhard Schmid rated it it was amazing
Selina
Selina rated it really liked it
James
James added it
Jul 07, 2016
Jon Brierley
Jon Brierley rated it it was ok
Jul 05, 2016
Carel Bosch
Carel Bosch rated it it was amazing
Jul 05, 2016
Jeff
Jeff marked it as to-read
Jul 03, 2016
  • Valhalla
  • From Aberystwyth with Love (Aberystwyth Noir, #5)
"When Robert Rankin embarked upon his writing career in the late 1970s, his ambition was to create an entirely new literary genre, which he named Far-Fetched Fiction. He reasoned that by doing this he could avoid competing with any other living author in any known genre and would be given his own special section in WH Smith."
(from Web Site Story)

Robert Rankin describes himself as a teller of tall
More about Robert Rankin...

Brentford (9 books)
  • The Antipope
  • The Brentford Triangle
  • East of Ealing
  • The Brentford Chainstore Massacre
  • Sex and Drugs and Sausage Rolls
  • Knees Up Mother Earth
  • The Brightonomicon (Brentford, #8)
  • Retromancer