Just Another Girl

Just Another Girl

3.72 of 5 stars 3.72  ·  rating details  ·  432 ratings  ·  48 reviews
Aster Flynn is stuck. She has to spend all of her "free" time with her younger sister, Lily, who, though fifteen, is mentally handicapped. At age seventeen, Aster should be hanging out with friends, dating boys, and working at a fun job. But her dad's MIA, her mom is always at work, and her older sister Rose is too self-centered to give her any help. It's not that Aster do...more
Published February 20th 2009 by Fleming H. Revell Company (first published January 1st 2009)

Salvaged by Stefne MillerIt's Not About Me by Michelle SuttonDare to Be Different by Nicole O'DellRisky Business by Nicole O'DellSwept Away by Nicole O'Dell
Issue-Driven Christian YA Fiction
22nd out of 98 books — 82 voters
Waterfall by Lisa Tawn BergrenThe Merchant's Daughter by Melanie DickersonThe Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe by C.S. LewisCascade by Lisa Tawn BergrenThe Healer's Apprentice by Melanie Dickerson
Clean teen fiction (Christian)
199th out of 476 books — 382 voters

More lists with this book...

Amanda
4.5 Just Another Girl is a GREAT book. Now I don't absolutely postively love it, but it's pretty darn close. I found so many similarities between me and Aster.
1. She loves reading - just like me!
"...reading has always been a handy escape for me. I get to run away from my dreary little life for a few hours. Of course, Rose thinks I'm nuts. She can't believe that I read because I want to" (84).
I love to read. 'Nuf said.

2. She says 'humph'!
"Only someone like Crystal or me would say 'humph'. I gues...more
Katie
Aster Flynn is pretty much a modern day Cinderella except without the evil step-mom and stepsisters. Instead she has Rose, the older sister who only cares about herself, her mom, who is mostly absent, and Lily, her mentally challenged younger sister.

Aster is basically Lily's caregiver. Every day she helps her get dressed, drops her off at the rec center, picks her up later, and then fixes dinner and helps her get ready for bed. With all this on her plate Aster has no time for a life of her own.

A...more
Alex
I am having a blast reading every published Melody Carlson book out there that I have not previously read. I've always said she is one of my favorite authors, and I don't even know why. Her teen books are my favorite by far, though.

This book tells the story of 17 year old Aster, who is treated as a live-in babysitter to her mentally challenged younger sister, Lily. Aster's mom was a piece of work - never wanting to be around Lily and getting mad at Aster for going out with friends instead of st...more
Angela
This book I really enjoyed! It was very interesting and I loved how it had some romance, hate, and even dipair included in its pages. In this book the girl faces problems most teenagers dont face. Her parents are devorced, her dad has another family of his own, her mother works all the time, her older sister doent care, and she has a disabled younger sister. She feels she is stuck in the middle. She is constintly taking care of Lily (I think that is her name) and Lily is not easy to please. Afte...more
Jill Williamson
5.0 out of 5 stars An honest look at a girl with too much responsibility, July 16, 2009
By Novel Teen Book Reviews (USA) - See all my reviews

Aster Flynn's life is not her own. She is responsible for caring for her fifteen-year-old handicapped sister, Lily. From morning till night, Lily and Aster are together, and Aster is getting burned out. When a cute boy asks Aster out, she does all she can to make the date happen. But without Aster to take care of Lily, Aster's mom freaks. Will Aster ever g...more
Emilee (Fantastical Paper Realm)
I have to admit, I am shocked. Normally with Melody Carlson's books and think "PTL, that is not a series, now I won't have to feel obligated to read more!" or "Oh, it's a series...I should probably read them all...". You may ask "why? why does she read them if she doesn't like them?" I will tell you why...she wrote Finding Alice...and I know one day I will love another one of her books as much as I love that one. But this book was really good! I love aster, her struggles felt so real. It was eas...more
Olivia
Just another Girl
By: Melody Carlson
Published 2009
Fiction
The main character Aster is a middle child that has to do everything for her younger sister Lily. Lily is 15 and was born with a brain problem so she is retarded as her older sister Rose would say. Rose is 19 and doesn’t want anything to do with her falling apart family. Aster is turning seventeen soon and she wants to date guys and hang out with her friends. Every day she has to take care of her sister and she’s tired of doing it. Her mom...more
Michelle
I absolutely loved this story! It's going down in history as my favorite Melody Carlson book ever. I'll tell you why. Because it is so realistic and believable. I have worked for the past eight years with people who have developmental disabilities and I have clients of various ages and levels of disability. I have never read a book before that so accurately demonstrated the challenges faced by family members who are dealing with a teenager who is mentally much younger than her actual age.

The au...more
Margaret
Mar 02, 2009 Margaret rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommended to Margaret by: Donna Hausler
As far as teen fiction goes, even including other books and series from Melody Carlson herself, this is the absolute best book that I have ever had the experience to be exposed to. It is just fabulous and if I could afford it, I would buy every single teenage girl I know a copy for keeps.

Aster is "just another girl". She is 17 years old, middle child of two sisters, and about to start her senior year. Normal right? Then throw in that her older sister is beyond materialistic, her dad is a no-sho...more
$hanel
My Mum was actually the first to read this book and after told me that it was really great and that I should read it. Boy was my Mum right! Aster seems like your typical teenager: goes to high school, gets good grades, has friends, and a crush on a cute boy. Seems average right? Aster really spends most of her time taking care of her little sister, Lily, who has autism and seems like a pain in the butt! The reason why Aster is the only one to take care of Lily is because her mum goes to work all...more
Cindy Burkhardt
This book was very well written and a good. This book is about a mentally handicapped girl. I don't want to say to much to spoil the book. II will be looking up more books from Melody Carlson. Mrs. Carlson will keep you to read more to find out what happens.
Adrienne
Sixteen-year-old Aster wishes she could have a life just any other girl. However, as the main caretaker for her mentally-disabled sister Lily, Aster's life is anything but normal. Aster is desperate to get some freedom, but her older sister is no help, her mother works long hours, and her father hasn't been part of the picture for years. When cool, good-looking Owen comes along--and actually doesn't seem too freaked out at Aster's situation--Aster thinks he may be her ticked to normality. Howeve...more
Alex Criddle
This book was an easy read and I felt it was very realistic. I think that a lot of people can relate to this novel; I know I did and I will gladly recommend it to students.
Leila
The story line has a lot of potential, but the execution falls completely flat. Everything is explained away too easily and the characters lack complexity.
I found this book surprisingly engaging. I stayed up past my normal bedtime to finish it, even! I enjoyed reading about how the main character learns to stand up for herself, how to become more independent and share her emotions with her distant mother. I am glad to read a book, especially a Christian book, where the mother and daughter don't have a perfect relationship. It's something I can relate to.

I think there were topics the book glossed over, such as co-dependancy, friendship and even bei...more
Amy
Genre: Fiction, older reader
I really enjoyed this story. It shows how a teenage girl is burdoned by responsibilty that she should't have to deal with at her age. She longs to have a regular life and finally gets her first taste of. She learns to be more independent and seek out the things she wants to do. This is a great book of teen girls. I thisnk they will be able to relate to Aster in many ways and feel a sense of togetherness with her. The story has themes of courage, responsibility, and do...more
Allie
Loved how this book shows Aster's relationship with her family and her faith in God. I really enjoyed reading this book!
Rachel
Just Another Girl by Melody Carlson is the story of Aster, the middle sister, trapped between selfish Rose and dependent Lily. Her parents are divorced, her father doesn't pay child support and doesn't visit, and their mom works all the time. So Aster is stuck caring for Lily. At age 17, she wishes she could have her own life, hang out with friends, go to college...Aster struggles with how society views Lily and struggles with the family God has put her in the middle of. I am a fan of most of Ca...more
Lilly
This book is a truly great book and, i really loved reading it. This book is about a girl named Aster and she has a sister named Lily who is disabeled. Aster has to take Lily every where with her because, her mom always is working late because she says she needs to catch up on her work but she really is just trying to stay away from Lily. Aster never gets to live her life when she has a pain in the butt of a sister. Aster meets a new guy but will he stay for long? I think the most funny charecte...more
Kiersten
This was okay. Not quite what i was hoping for from one of my favorite authors. It was a quick read with nothing really unpredictable in the plot line, and I felt like some things weren't wrapped up well. But the characters were nicely done, and the premise was a fresh take on family, stress, and life. This was still a pretty good book, and has definitely given me some food for thought (like most of her books do:), but it isn't one of my favorites from Melody Carlson.
Jodi
I read this in one night. I really want all teeangers to read this and to think about their life. The main character is in charge of her younger handicapped sister. She does not get to do normal teen things and she finally takes a stand. She has a good heart and always wants to help others. I think she handles the whole thing well when she tells her mom it is all too much for her. I really didnt like the mother and thought the dad was a wimp. Great book.
Alana
Katie H. 8 Rdg
Aster is a 16-year-old girl who has to take care of her mentally challenged sister, giving her no social life or free time. When a boy takes interest in her (for the first time), Aster finally learns to stand up for herself, and take charge of her life.
I absolutely loved this riveting page turner for its ability to capture each event of the book and make it relatable.

•Five Stars *****
Ann
This book is about a girl named Aster. She has always felt unwanted and unloved. Aster spends everyday taking care of her autistic sister. Her mother works all day and night. Her other sister Rose is selfish and self centered. And Aster's dad left them and got remarried. He doesn't care at all. Aster wanted her own life and wasn't going to let this "so called life" that she was living go on anymore.
Surprisingly enjoyable and believable - not the usual style of Carlson but rewarding none-the-less. I wish this was part of a series - there are so few books out there that deal with characters who have mentally challenged siblings (Riding the Bus with my Sister comes to mind). Aster is one of the most engaging characters I've come across in a while and I was sorry to see the book end.
Kelli
This is an easy read and it's very real. The story isn't fluffy, it's real life, and it's refreshing in that way. However, it's also a little corny. The dialog doesn't sound fun, just perfunctory. It's kind of just a stiff story about summer time and teen family drama. Like an episode of 7th Heaven.
Gracie
i liked this book! i felt sorry for her, having to look after her sister with a disapility!! it got you thinking alot about the people that do not have a perfect life and how she dealed with it.!! :) :)
Johnika Dougan
THIS BOOK WAS AWESOME...i liked how it told a story of a girl with an everyday life. It envolved her boy problems, tennage problems, friends, her mentally challenged sister, older sis, mom, and seperATED DAD.
Aleia
This book was amazing, I could not put it down. This book was really good and Melody Carlson is my new favorite author. Her novels are very realistic, and I actually felt like I was a character in this book.
Cookielover
I loved it, but the title got on my nerves. I mean, the book is about a girl who isn't like normal girls-Aster even said so. This book should've been called "Me In the Middle" or something like that.
  • Hollywood Nobody (Hollywood Nobody, #1)
  • It's All About Us (All About Us, #1)
  • The Fall of Candy Corn (Sweet Seasons, #2)
  • The Miracle Girls (Miracle Girls, #1)
  • Final Touch (The Rayne Tour, #3)
  • Motorcycles, Sushi & One Strange Book (Real Life, #1)
  • Me, Just Different (The Reinvention of Skylar Hoyt, #1)
  • Double Shot (Maya Davis, #3)
  • On the Loose (Katie Parker Productions, #2)
  • Perfectly Dateless (Universally Misunderstood, #1)
  • Holly's Heart, Collection 1: Best Friend, Worst Enemy/Secret Summer Dreams/Sealed with a Kiss/The Trouble with Weddings/California Crazy (Holly's Heart, #1-5)
  • Ruby Unscripted
  • Christy Miller Collection, Vol. 1 (Christy Miller, #1-3)
  • Addison Blakely:  Confessions of a PK
Melody Carlson is the award-winning author of over two hundred books, several of them Christmas novellas from Revell, including her much-loved and bestselling book, The Christmas Bus.

She also writes many teen books, including the Diary of a Teenage Girl series, the TrueColors series, and the Carter House Girls series.

Melody was nominated for a Romantic Times Career Achievement Award in the inspi...more
More about Melody Carlson...
Becoming Me (Diary of a Teenage Girl: Caitlin, #1) Dark Blue: Color Me Lonely (TrueColors, #1) Christmas at Harrington's Blade Silver: Color Me Scarred (TrueColors, #7) It's My Life (Diary of a Teenage Girl: Caitlin, #2)

“While Owen and Miles talk sports, I people watch. And this is what I see: teenagers trying to act like adults. Or how they think adults act. But mostly they look ridiculous, and I wonder what they don't want to do something that's more fun than drinking, smoking, flirting, and making out. Why are those activities considered to be fun?” 22 likes