A Dog Called Demolition

A Dog Called Demolition

3.62 of 5 stars 3.62  ·  rating details  ·  396 ratings  ·  11 reviews
Danny is not sad and lonely any more, because he has "the voice"—the voice of an imaginary dog called Demolition. The dog tells him what to do, like how to adjust the bar code reader in the shop so he can read what people are thinking. Soon, Danny can bend others to his will, and fears no other man.
Published October 1st 1996 by Transworld Publishers (first published 1996)

To ask other readers questions about A Dog Called Demolition, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Dog Called Demolition

Kelly Foxhall
One of my favourite authors. Nothing is how it seems in a Robert Rankin book, they are the best material to read when you want to escape from the norm. This is the first book I read from Robert Rankin - loved it!
Lori Whitwam
Disappointing. I usually love Robert Rankin, but this book never got off the ground for me. Too scattered, the whole concept of the "dog" never amounts to much, and the characters didn't spark.
Joseph Teller
Neither the best of his books, nor his worst, it still has lots of interesting bits and material as well as some of the old Brentford crew doing their walk ons.
Stoneme Mayo
A little slow this one having read better Robert Rankin books but as the blurb says "The more you read him the funnier he becomes." How true.
Jay Paget
Not for the uninitiated.
I admit that I struggled with this as a 12 year old boy. Having only read the Cornelius Murphy books this one is a bit of a shocker. However, a re-read in my 20's led me to believe that this is one of Robert's finest works.

How do I begin to explain this? There are a series of short stories involving people suddenly acting very strangely, and all mentioning a bandaged left foot. Then a longer bit of story about a man who discovers all people are controlled by invisible cre...more
M.G. Mason
Quite possibly the most bizarre of Rankin's work I have read so far. His stuff is usually slightly surreal but this doesn't so much tiptoe into the bizarre as go striding in and delight in its own peculiarity.

As a result, this novel will come across to most people as confusing and messy with laughs that are few and far between. Despite its short length (a tad over 300 pages) it is a difficult read that makes it difficult to care about anybody or anything. It also seems to lack overall direction...more
Peter
I was given this book as an introduction to Robert Rankin. I read it. That's probably the best that can be said. It's a nice science fantasy idea but the execution of the no beginning, middle and end story just doesn't work. I didn't really get to care about any of the characters, except perhaps the one who died near the beginning (at the end of the beginning?)
Some of the 'music hall' humour was out of place, some of the other humour has already dated. The ending was more Monty Python than a fan...more
Bonnie Doyle
one of the only books that i just couldn't finish
Tim Schneider
Fairly weak Rankin. There isn't anything particularly wrong with it, there just isn't anything that makes it jump out from the pack. It was nice to see cameos by Jim Pooley, Archroy and a few others. Worth a read if you're a Rankin fan, but not essential.
Isabel
Yet again, residents of the Brentford triangle save the world!

I want to go to live in Brentford and drink at the Flying Swan - Such weird and wonderful things happen there! And who would have thought that allotments could be such exciting places?
Wesy2k
This is not Rankin's best book but still enjoyable. This one isn't a good book for new Rankin readers. You have to know some things about him/his books to really enjoy it.
Libby Thompson
Libby Thompson marked it as to-read
Sep 15, 2014
Russell Proctor
Russell Proctor marked it as to-read
Sep 13, 2014
Graham Halliday
Graham Halliday marked it as to-read
Sep 09, 2014
David Calderwood
David Calderwood marked it as to-read
Aug 25, 2014
David
David marked it as to-read
Aug 24, 2014
Tom Koffer
Tom Koffer marked it as to-read
Aug 18, 2014
Angela Tuohey
Angela Tuohey marked it as to-read
Aug 18, 2014
  • Grailblazers
  • A Tourist Guide to Lancre: A Discworld Mapp
  • The Best of Gene Wolfe: A Definitive Retrospective of His Finest Short Fiction
  • The Thackery T. Lambshead Cabinet of Curiosities
"When Robert Rankin embarked upon his writing career in the late 1970s, his ambition was to create an entirely new literary genre, which he named Far-Fetched Fiction. He reasoned that by doing this he could avoid competing with any other living author in any known genre and would be given his own special section in WH Smith."
(from Web Site Story)

Robert Rankin describes himself as a teller of tall...more
More about Robert Rankin...
The Hollow Chocolate Bunnies of the Apocalypse The Antipope The Brentford Triangle Armageddon: The Musical East of Ealing