Start by marking “Academ's Fury (Codex Alera, #2)” as Want to Read:
Academ's Fury (Codex Alera, #2)

Academ's Fury (Codex Alera #2)

4.27  ·  Rating Details ·  46,622 Ratings  ·  1,300 Reviews
For centuries, the people of Alera have relied on the power of the furies to protect them from outside invaders. But the gravest threat might be closer than they think.

Tavi has escaped the Calderon Valley and the mysterious attack of the Marat on his homeland. But he is far from safe, as trying to keep up the illusion of being a student while secretly training as one of th
Published June 4th 2009 by Orbit (first published 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Academ's Fury, please sign up.

This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Ryan I think technically the taken were controlled by the little worm things (Takers) that crawl into their heads, the Queen in turn controlled the Takers.…moreI think technically the taken were controlled by the little worm things (Takers) that crawl into their heads, the Queen in turn controlled the Takers.

With the Queen dead, the takers would still have control of the taken just without the unifying control of the Queen to command them, leaving them with little more than animalistic behaviour / continuing to follow the last given order.(less)
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Alan Brandon Sanderson's Mistborne?

Evgeny
Sep 08, 2015 Evgeny rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Minor spoilers follow as it is impossible to talk about the plot of the second book of the series without at least mentioning some characters indicating they survived to live by the beginning of the second one.

Two years have passed since the events of the first book in the world with magic inspired by very popular Pokemon franchise
Snorlax
with social structure coming straight from Ancient Rome. Thanks to a brilliant stroke by the First Lord (the Big Guy in charge of everything in the realm - for those
Nimrod Daniel
Sep 09, 2013 Nimrod Daniel rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
I really enjoyed reading this book. The book has two main plot-lines – The first takes place in Calderon, and the second in the Capital. You'll see here more politics and intrigue and a bit less action, in comparison the first book in the series. Butcher gives his characters more depth, and reveal to us more knowledge about the world.

Academ's fury is another great book in the series. I really like the world, the writing, the characters, the action, and all the politics and intrigue.
So, once agai
Tom
Oct 22, 2012 Tom rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another action packed installment of a great fantasy series.

I didn't know where it where it was going to go after the first book but was floored when it was every bit as good as Furies of Calderon and possibly exceeding it. In Academ’s Fury we get to see Tavi grow as he studies to be a Cursor. We get multiple stories going again with many of the characters from the first book. In addition we are introduced to some new intriguing characters one of my favorites being Tavi’s best friend Max. Kita
Kevin Xu
Oct 05, 2013 Kevin Xu rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This book is just as bad or even worse than the first book in the series, but for a the opposite reason. This book I love the pacing, but I hate all the characters. All the characters to me seemed 1-dimensional and flat that I was not emotionally connected, which for many books the pace of the plot is more of a problem than disliking a character. I think the writing, design of the cover, and the overall series are all just god awful words can't describe it. I for one will never try to read or go ...more
Philip
3.5ish stars.

Book #2 provided a lot of what I loved about book #1, added a few more things that I love and, unfortunately, a few things I didn't love as well. Possible spoilers to follow.

The first chapter led me to believe that the series had gone waaay downhill somewhere in the gap between where the last book ended and this one began. Literally every stupid high school cliche I've ever read in one chapter- poor Tavi and his nerdy friends are getting bullied by the bigger, stronger more popular
Jonathan
Jim Butcher's first two books in his Codex Alera are fascinating - weighted with capable, yet flawed female and male characters, and full of political intrigue and adventure. The very concept: an alien world populated by future descendants of the Roman people is intriguing. However, at times the writing itself feels 'too neat' and the suspension of disbelief falters.

The book follows Tavi, a young man in a world of furycrafters, who cannot furycraft. Furycrafting is the magic system of this world
Amber
Dec 27, 2016 Amber rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: librarybooks
When the first Lord of Alera Gaius mysteriously falls unconscious after drinking Spirit fire, Tavi and his friends must come up with a plan to cover for the ill Lord before the realm ends up in chaos. Can he succeed? Will his Uncle Bernard be able to save the realm from the Vord demons before it is too late? The answers you seek lie in this book when you read it for yourself.

This was a pretty good second installment of the Codex Alera series by Jim Butcher. It was action-packed and the dialogue
Stephen
4.5 stars. Outstanding follow up to the excellent Furies of Calderon. The expansion of the world introduced in the first book and the new races and characters introduced, together with the internal politics and geo-political forces dealt with at length, made this a superb story. Can not wait to read the next one.
Rob
Executive Summary: The chosen one goes to school in the capital and politics abound! If you enjoyed the first book, I think you'll find a lot to like here as Mr. Butcher continues to build out the world from the first book.

Audio book: Kate Reading once more does a great job as a reader. I've gotten used to her reading all the male voices so it's much less noticeable.

One of her voices in this one is so spot on to what I imagined, I find it annoying (because I find the way that character talks to
Travis
Aug 17, 2015 Travis rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What a sequel!!!!! It is always a nail biter when it comes to the second book in a series because normally they fall flat and don't live up to the awesomeness that was the first. That is not the case here with Academ's Fury the second book in the Codex Alera!! This books was everything the first was and so much more. I am absolutely having a blast with this series! The story is engaging and the characters are riveting to read about. Butcher also has a way with writing action sequences that leave ...more
Ctgt
Sep 28, 2014 Ctgt rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
I don't spend much time on reviews for later books in series' and this won't be any exception. If it's utter garbage then I'll lay out more details but as you can tell from my rating, I enjoyed this second book in the series. It had been quite a few months since I read the first book so I was a little concerned about getting back into the world. It took a few chapters but fairly quickly I was thrust back into Alera with Tavi, Bernard, Amara, Isana and my favorites, Doroga and Walker. Some politi ...more
Kaila
Although this installment was easier for me to read than Furies of Calderon (my groans were cut down by about a third, I'd say), I liked this second novel no more than the first one. It has been two years since the events of Furies, and we're plopped right back into the action without so much as an update, which at first had me a little miffed. The problem with plowing through novels so quickly is that proper nouns quickly find their way into the oubliette, so even though it's only been about tw ...more
Andreas
Nov 15, 2013 Andreas rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I gave this series a good second chance to win me over. There are many reasons why it didn't succeed:

Potboiler romance, shallow characters without development, predictable story is the best I can say. Though it's packed with action, it feels repetitive and you have to search for worthwile and important scenes. I had to skim through the pages to endure and reach the end.
I hoped for world building and interesting developments of the furies' magic system - but in 700 pages, nearly nothing new was
Anna-louise
May 12, 2012 Anna-louise rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is not as tense as the first book but its still really good. The action is great you still go through that up and down sensation when you think everything will go smoothly but something then happens yet again!
The story line is different, more political, but equally as interesting and the main characters are developing well and i'm very invested now to find out what happens to them through the series, So i'm straight onto the next one even though i have a huge pile of books i had planned to
Amanda
Academ's Fury by Jim Butcher is the second novel in the Codex Alera sequence, featuring Tavi, a young man who has been taken under the wing of the First Lord of Alera and provided with sponsorship so that he can train as a Cursor. In the course of this book, the Alerans discover the threat of the Vord, a race of shapeshifters governed by queens who aim to destroy all life in Alera. Tavi discovers that his lack of furycrafting (the ability to manipulate natural forces) is a boon in the fight agai ...more
Kathleen
Nov 04, 2015 Kathleen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy-scifi, audio
Even better than book 1, and with just a bit more romance (not that it's a romance novel). Wonderfully creepy villains in this book. The Vord!!! Yikes! (The Canim wolf-men weren't nearly as scary). And the bullies, especially the vicious Lord Kilarus and his murderous whelp Brencis. The scenes at the Academy reminded me very much of Hogwarts. Echoes of Harry and his chums, of Malfoy and his gang.

Glad to say, Tavi still shows no sign of special fury-crafting powers, which means he must win by hi
Jenna Kathleen
Jan 14, 2016 Jenna Kathleen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
So many reveals right at the end! The next one is going to be great - I can tell. It's not that Academ's Fury wasn't great, but it was pretty similar to the first one. It was still lots of good fun, but no real surprises.

I'm excited to see more of Kitai in the future; she was by far my favourite character in this book.

Again, I have to complain about Isana. She's made out to be super powerful, but then (view spoiler)
MadameMelli
Jun 17, 2016 MadameMelli rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-i-own, neu-2016
Auch Band 2 war voller Überraschungen und Wendungen. Es ist so viel passiert, was mir gefallen hat. Die Charaktere sind mir weiter ans Herz gewachsen, mittlerweile mag ich Kitai sogar ganz gern ;)

Die Gespräche ganz am Ende... bei Isana hatte ich ja schon eine Vermutung, aber was der Erste Fürst dann noch andeutet. Mannoman, ich brauch den nächsten Band, ganz bald!
Cori Reed
Aug 14, 2016 Cori Reed rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4.5 Stars!

All the fun of the first book, with the setting of a school thrown in! I definitely have a little bit of a better feel for the world, but I still feel like it needs some work.

FADE. ISANA. WEIRD ANTHROPOMORPHIZED INSECT THINGIES.
Sheyla ✎

“Anger subsides. Love doesn’t.”

What an excellent second book! Just as good or better than the first. If I had one word to describe this book, I would use the adjective EXCILERANT!

Jim Butcher is a master at crafting a unique world where amazing characters live. I wish I could join them. Maybe even have my own furies too. Who wouldn't want to meet Doroga, Tavi, Isana, Gaius, Bernard, or Kitai? I certainly would.

“Your Kind, Aleran, are the most vicious and gentle, most savage and noble, most
Jake Menne
Okay so in all fairness I think there were factors working against me liking this book from the get go.

Firstly, I think there was a little bit of the proverbial half hour death slot after Seinfeld syndrome here. For the longest time NBC could not get a show to succeed directly after Seinfeld because nothing could follow it up without being directly compared and found wanting. I read this book right after reading Blood Song which blew me away.

Secondly, there was an almost two year gap between my
Gabriel
Jim Butcher continues exploring the great fantasy world he created in Furies of Calderon with this one. This time around, we get political intrigue full of double-crossings and backstabbing that ties together with a strange creature that tries to do battle with the people of Calderon (and with the First Lord).

Exactly like the first book.

Well, that's fine enough for me. I enjoyed the first book and I enjoy the story in this one. Sure it follows a bit close to the first book's plot, but the world
Jonel Boyko
Butcher’s series just keeps getting better and better. Suspense runs high as characters battle for their world and their lives. World building is at an all-time high, allowing me to fully experience everything. And the little tidbit of information that the king lets slip at the end? Absolutely increased the suspense and has me dying for the next novel.

The characters were also fantastically well developed. Tavi’s personality is absolutely unforgettable. I loved him and kept rooting for him. I de
Yodamom
I love this author and this series has won my heart. Tavi the young lad is in the academy and is being bullied and thinks he is less than others because of his weakness in certain areas. Tavi, has a good group of friends and some amazing facility members surrounding him.* He really reminds me of another young magical student HP. Tavi, has to grow up in this book and his family has to try to survive the coming of the deadly ancient Vord. Action plus packed with non ending fun and excitement. I ch ...more
Xara Niouraki
Feb 21, 2015 Xara Niouraki rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Academ's Fury is a big improvement compared to the first book. It has all the positives of Furies of Calderon but not many of the negatives. The characters are its greatest advantage, both the good and the bad. It isn't so predictable and it kept me reading until the last page. When you open one of Butcher's book it is certain that you will have a good time.
Kj Lyman
May 05, 2016 Kj Lyman rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-i-own
this series is pretty great. This sequel did a ton exceptionally well. Character development, new characters that rocked, great action. Pretty awesome. Also that last sentence tho (mind = blown)
Anna
Jul 26, 2015 Anna rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: epic-fantasy
After the events of ‘Furies of Calderon’, Tavi succeeded in entering the Academy and have been training as a cursor for two years already, not knowing that an ancient and incredibly powerful enemy has awakened and plotting the downfall of Alera. There are three distinct plotlines developing throughout the story, though they become intertwined and connected in the end, an interesting contrast to the first book, which started with a single plotline that separated into several during the course of ...more
Ben Babcock
Ren
5 stars

After Furies of Calderon succesfully blown me away, the next installment of the Codex Alera series, Academ's Fury apparently did the same. This book, despite its thick and tasty length, able to awake me from my reading slump for almost 2 months. As expected from Jim Butcher, with his vivid story telling and his story crafting that feel like magic, more than any fury crafting that happen in this book.

Two years after the event in Furies of Calderon, Second Battle of Calderon Valley that ha
Ariana Fae
May 23, 2017 Ariana Fae rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
ACADEM’S FURY by Jim Butcher was a fun and adventurous read. What I loved about this book was that every female character in it resonated with me in some way, each had their goals, strengths, and weakness—Mr. Butcher did not disappoint at all when he created them.
This story is packed with a plethora of plots, intrigue and revelations; so much I that I had to slow down my reading to keep track of everything that was going on. I will definitely continue reading this series.
  • The Fox (Inda, #2)
  • The King's Own (Borderlands, #2)
  • The Emerald Storm  (The Riyria Revelations, #4)
  • Spirit's End (The Legend of Eli Monpress, #5)
  • Imager's Intrigue (Imager Portfolio, #3)
  • Shadow's Edge (Night Angel, #2)
  • Hexed (The Iron Druid Chronicles, #2)
  • Jhegaala (Vlad Taltos, #11)
  • Hidden Warrior (The Tamír Triad, #2)
  • The Crimson Vault (The Traveler's Gate Trilogy, #2)
  • Dragon Bones (Hurog, #1)
  • Spellbound (Grimnoir Chronicles, #2)
  • Midnight Tides (The Malazan Book of the Fallen, #5)
  • Reader and Raelynx (Twelve Houses, #4)
  • Revelation (Rai-Kirah, #2)
  • Witches Incorporated (Rogue Agent, #2)
  • A Crown of Swords (Wheel of Time, #7)
Jim Butcher is the author of the Dresden Files, the Codex Alera, and a new steampunk series, the Cinder Spires. His resume includes a laundry list of skills which were useful a couple of centuries ago, and he plays guitar quite badly. An avid gamer, he plays tabletop games in varying systems, a variety of video games on PC and console, and LARPs whenever he can make time for it. Jim currently resi ...more
More about Jim Butcher...

Codex Alera (6 books)
  • Furies of Calderon (Codex Alera, #1)
  • Cursor's Fury (Codex Alera, #3)
  • Captain's Fury (Codex Alera, #4)
  • Princeps' Fury (Codex Alera, #5)
  • First Lord's Fury (Codex Alera, #6)

“There are old swordsmen and bold swordsmen. But few old, bold swordsmen.” 127 likes
“Doroga thumped a finger against his skull. Head got nothing to do with the heart. Your heart wants what it wants. Head got to learn that it can only kill the heart or else get out of the way” 38 likes