The Purple Decades-A Reader

The Purple Decades-A Reader

3.81 of 5 stars 3.81  ·  rating details  ·  138 ratings  ·  8 reviews
The Purple Decades brings together the author's own selections from his list of critically acclaimed publications, including the complete text of Mau-Mauing and the Flak Catchers, his account of the wild games the poverty program encouraged minority groups to play.
Published October 1st 1987 by Berkley (first published 1982)

To ask other readers questions about The Purple Decades-A Reader, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Purple Decades-A Reader

Thomas
When I read "A Sunday Kind of Love," I knew exactly the kind of writing I wanted to pursue.
Tom
Nov 01, 2007 Tom rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Tom Wolfe fans only
There are some great essays in here: "The Last American Hero", for example. There are also some duds. This is Wolfe stroking his mammoth ego by showing how he knows everything about everything, from the New York art scene to the beginnings of NASCAR, from Jasper Johns to Junior Johnson.
Don't waste your time. Only 30% of it is any good.
Julia Dawson
Oct 29, 2007 Julia Dawson rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Juliana
Tom Wolfe is the founder of a style called New Journalism, that has seen him writing in publications like Esquire and who knows what else. He has this supernatural ability of pegging American social groups and writes about them as a journalist/ethnographer. This book, a survey of his writing over several decades, changed the way I write.
Jason Farley
Can't believe I only paid $.50 for this much sheer pleasure and joy filled insightfulness. Great Stuff.
Jeff
Collects most of Wolfe's best essays from the 1960's and 1970's.
Brendan
Old Favourites of New Journalism.
E. Thomas
Too spicy for my palate.
Darin
Darin marked it as to-read
Aug 31, 2014
Aisling
Aisling marked it as to-read
Aug 29, 2014
Brian
Brian is currently reading it
Aug 20, 2014
Candice
Candice marked it as to-read
Aug 07, 2014
Lynn
Lynn marked it as to-read
Aug 06, 2014
Bronwyn Evans
Bronwyn Evans marked it as to-read
Jul 29, 2014
J Demedeiros
J Demedeiros marked it as to-read
Jul 21, 2014
Liz
Liz added it
May 24, 2014
Nikki Ruff
Nikki Ruff marked it as to-read
Mar 20, 2014
Vcam
Vcam marked it as to-read
Mar 13, 2014
Matt Lawson
Matt Lawson marked it as to-read
Mar 07, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
Wolfe was educated at Washington and Lee Universities and also at Yale, where he received a PhD in American studies.

Tom Wolfe spent his early days as a Washington Post beat reporter, where his free-association, onomatopoetic style would later become the trademark of New Journalism. In books such as The Electric Koolaid Acid Test, The Right Stuff, and The Bonfire of the Vanities, Wolfe delves into...more
More about Tom Wolfe...
The Electric Kool-Aid Acid Test The Bonfire of the Vanities The Right Stuff I am Charlotte Simmons A Man in Full