Start by marking “The Brentford Triangle” as Want to Read:
The Brentford Triangle

The Brentford Triangle (Brentford #2)

3.95 of 5 stars 3.95  ·  rating details  ·  2,410 ratings  ·  23 reviews
A sequel to The Antipope, this is the second novel in "The Brentford Trilogy." All over Brentford electrical appliances were beginning to fail—could it be that it had been chosen as the first base in an alien onslaught on planet Earth?
Published August 1st 1992 by Corgi Books (first published 1982)

To ask other readers questions about The Brentford Triangle, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Brentford Triangle

Simon Mcleish
Originally published on my blog here in February 2001.

The Antipope

Many fantasy authors attempt to mingle the familiar and the exotic in their writing; the familiar enables the reader to grasp what is going on, while the exotic is what defines the genre and what is sought by its fans. The familiar is supplied either by reference to the world around us, for example through the common device by which a normal person suddenly finds themselves in a world of magic, or by reference to the commonplace g...more
Isabel
'And the lights upon the allotment,' said Soap, 'what would you take those to be?'
'The work of the council,' said Omally firmly, 'another plot to confound honest golfers.'
Soap burst into a paroxysm of laughter. Tears rolled down his pale cheeks and he clutched at his stomach.
'Come now,' said Pooley, 'it is no laughing matter, these lads have it in for us.'
'Have it in for you?' gasped Soap between convulsions. 'You witness a test run of laser-operated gravitational landing beams, the product
Joseph Teller
This is the second book in the "Brentford Trilogy", centering around the 'locals' at the Flying Swan pub, with a high emphasis on the Infamous Pooley and Omally.

Once again weird things are going on in Brentford, which appear to be centered around (as far as they can tell) interfering with the development of 'Allotment Golf' by Pooley and Omally.

This one ends even further afield from reality than the previous book in the series, so you must be willing to put aside your desire for realism and wal...more
Simon Blake
This is one of the funniest books I've ever read. It has an atmosphere to it like no other fictional world I can think of. Everything's just a little bit off - the pub sells beer in pre-decimal currency (placing the action before 1970) but plays host to a Captain Lazer Alien Attack machine, which places it firmly in the late seventies at the very, very earliest. It has some great, memorable characters, and the author also clearly knows his Fortean history as some of them turn out to be more than...more
RC
The characters appear to live in purgatory based on the TV series "Last of the Summer Wine". Surprisingly, the stories are rather dull and boring, undermined by the storytelling technique.
Adam Sprague
This story started out very entertaining and then trailed off for me. I'm not entirely sure why Rankin decided to dedicate so much of the beginning of the story to allotment golf to simply have it irrelevant to the end of the story and then focus the story on a poorly developed darts tournament.

Even with that said, Rankin's writing style is still very good and there are a few funny moments too. The story makes you want to keep reading, however the ending is a bit thrown together feeling and make...more
Mel
If half stars were available one would be tacked. It is important to remember this series takes itself as seriously as an fps game filled with unicorns.
Shane
A very funny book. Am glad there are more in the series. The humour isn't forced even though it's up there with Terry Pratchett, and the storyline is entertaining enough although nothing ground-breaking. Be interesting to read some of the non-Brentford books just to see if they're as good. Looking forward to the next one anyway. A very funny, quick and easy read.
Paul
How do you stop aliens who all bare an uncanny resemblance to a young Jack Palance from taking over the world?
Well you could sit in the pub playing darts or video games, but that wouldn't be very productive now would it?

This book is number 2 in the Brentford Trilogy, and once again those working class heroes Jim Pooley and John Omally must save the day.
Jakub
As usual, Brentford Trilogy offers loads of laffs. And if you're not functionally retarded, laughs. Amazing events, aliens and levitating camels and psychopathic midgets and a suitable epic finale that despite being set up for pages still managed to make me laugh in the middle of mostly empty bus.
Amy Seraphina
it took me so long to finish... i was full on into it until the last major scene with the dart tournament, the aliens and flying camel. my head is still a bit topsie turvy, but i always enjoy a Robert Rankin... hopefully the next one in the series is a little less confusing in its dramatic ending.
Ian
another story of the heroic drunks. I liked the first one better but was more tired reading this one. Did like the darts tournament and the math error coverups. John Omalley is becoming a hero/role model for me, not sure how that will turn out.
Kelly Foxhall
One of my favourite authors. Nothing is how it seems in a Robert Rankin book, they are the best material to read when you want to escape from the norm.
☯Bettie☯

There are 9 books in this trilogy but you only find a sensible 3 in this edition
Bex
Not as entertaining as many of Rankin's books, but still successfully made me chuckle a few times!
Kathleen Young
Brilliant. Genius. Tongue-in-cheek. Running gags. Characters. Did I say Brilliant? Brilliant.
Mollie
Feb 27, 2009 Mollie marked it as wishlist
The Brentford Triangle (Brentford Trilogy) by Robert Rankin (1992)
Keith
An entertaining read that loses its way near the end
Jo
Same as the other Robert Rankin - random but very funny
Samantha
DOn't walk - run and read these books. Then talk toot.
Eireanngobrach
A riot of a book ...nobody can make me laugh more !
Rob
DR
DR marked it as to-read
Sep 27, 2014
  • Valhalla
  • Last Tango in Aberystwyth (Aberystwyth Noir, #2)
  • The Science of Discworld II: The Globe
"When Robert Rankin embarked upon his writing career in the late 1970s, his ambition was to create an entirely new literary genre, which he named Far-Fetched Fiction. He reasoned that by doing this he could avoid competing with any other living author in any known genre and would be given his own special section in WH Smith."
(from Web Site Story)

Robert Rankin describes himself as a teller of tall...more
More about Robert Rankin...
The Hollow Chocolate Bunnies of the Apocalypse The Antipope Armageddon: The Musical East of Ealing The Sprouts of Wrath