Start by marking “Home Fires” as Want to Read:
Home Fires

Home Fires

3.98  ·  Rating Details ·  1,964 Ratings  ·  57 Reviews
Anne Davis has returned to the house where she grew up, trading her glamorous Manhattan lifestyle for a harsh winter on a wind-whipped New England island. Her marriage has crumbled in the wake of a tragic accident. Now she has returned to the home on Salt Whistle Raod that has always meant shelter, security, family and love. When she awakens one snowy night to a fire that ...more
Mass Market Paperback, 400 pages
Published April 26th 2005 by Bantam (first published 1995)

To ask other readers questions about Home Fires, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Home Fires

Lucinda
Aug 20, 2009 Lucinda rated it did not like it
This book had a great concept. But fell very short of the mark. The very explicit oral sex scene with teenagers, as if it was ok, was wrong and is not acceptable to me. In reading others reviews, I am so surprised no one else has had the same feelings about this part of the book. I guess I am in the minority but just because its "real life" I can't accept reading about it as if its ok. I cant recommend this book.
Elizabeth Kennedy
Oct 25, 2013 Elizabeth Kennedy rated it it was ok
Hmmm- What to say.... It wasn't a BAD book per se , and the story moved along well, but there was something about this book that made me feel icky. It had too much of the V.C Andrews genre about it, too mush of those late teen-early adult romance feel. The story centers around a woman who has lost her 5 year old ( and there were some terrific writing examples surrounding the emotion there) who has come back home after the breakup of her marriage. She is asleep one night when a fire breaks out in ...more
Machel
Jun 14, 2012 Machel rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
This is one of my favorite books by Luanne Rice. I read this novel over 8 years ago, and it;s imagery stays with me. What I learned from this book is death does happen, but how we deal with it and move on and heal our lives is what is the miracle we have left when those we love die when accidents happen. I still remember a soup that was prepared in one of the scenes. A must read for anyone. m pulling this one out to read again
Carol
Jun 24, 2011 Carol rated it really liked it
This book was riveting. Once I got past the early exposition, I was hooked. Two flawed people with emotional and physical scars, take a chance on loving again. I hoped they would eventually end up together, but they were very involved with their families and other characters that kept the story compelling and complicated their relationship. Some disturbing events and images on the way to Paradise.
Kathy
Jun 02, 2013 Kathy rated it it was amazing
This book grabs you from the first page! It has a bit of everything in it, well written & I couldn't put it down!!
Laura Lysiak
Apr 30, 2012 Laura Lysiak rated it it was amazing
A true Luane Rice novel! Easy to read, wonderfully written. Characters full and robust. Got to know them all very well. Was sorry to say good bye to them.
Becki Couch tompkins
Aug 01, 2016 Becki Couch tompkins rated it really liked it
I was unprepared for how this story moved me
Judy
Aug 19, 2009 Judy rated it it was ok
I'm tired of people finding their soulmates; time to move on to another author.
Nolan
Jun 03, 2013 Nolan rated it liked it
Anne Davis has come home to heal. Home is a small island in New England
that relies heavily on tourist trade in the summer. She caught her husband
in bed with another woman in their New York apartment, and not long after
that, their four-year-old daughter fell to her death from an open window.
So Anne has come home to heal.

But healing is not immediate; and, indeed, she will pass through fire of
body and soul before she can reclaim happiness.

The old family home into which Anne has moved catches fire o
Ellen
Sep 09, 2016 Ellen rated it liked it
Light read
Kris - My Novelesque Life
3.5 STARS

"Anne Davis has returned to the house where she grew up, trading her glamorous Manhattan lifestyle for a harsh winter on a wind-whipped New England island. Her marriage has crumbled in the wake of a tragic accident. Now she has returned to the home on Salt Whistle Raod that has always meant shelter, security, family and love. When she awakens one snowy night to a fire that roars through the old house, Anne escapes--but runs back into the blaze to save something so precious that it's wor
Judyw Winkleman
This was a good book. I was interested to read about stages the characters went through when dealing with death. Anne Davis lost her young daughter in a very tragic accident, and Thomas Devlin lost his wife in a fire. The issues these characters faced as they were getting acquainted were very real life. As one reviewer discussed, I didn't so much like the chapter which gave details of teenagers having sex for the first time, but it wasn't something to make me dislike the book. The story became ...more
Claudia Cheyne
Aug 17, 2015 Claudia Cheyne rated it really liked it
How does someone pick up the pieces and go on after watching her little girl die, then having her husband leave to be with another woman? Anne Davis returns to the New England island where she grew up to see if healing is possible. Someone else who survived his own tragedy wants to help. Thomas Devlin is patient and understanding. Gabrielle (Anne's sister) and her family also want to be there for her. Luanne Rice wrote a great story of how someone can survive when the unthinkable happens to ...more
Vicki Carbone
Jan 16, 2016 Vicki Carbone rated it really liked it
Grabbed this book from a library give away and boy, was I lucky! This is a really sweet read. A beach book in the truest sense. The main characters are emotionally scarred by losses which would overwhelm most of us. Anne has lost her young daughter; Thomas has lost his wife in a fire. When they meet, it is because he saves her from a fire in the family home. Slowly (and, it is true, predictably) they find their way to cementing a relationship which you can spot coming a mile away, but still root ...more
Paula
Aug 14, 2011 Paula rated it really liked it
MUCH more enjoyable than "Summer's Child." Not sure why but this one drew me in and kept my interest. Believable characters and some plot twists kept my attention. Was a bit suspect going into reading this book since the premise was based on yet another character who had suffered a tragedy and returned to her island childhood home to sort out life. Natrually, while there, she finds a life she wishes to lead and, of course, love. A perfect "summer read!"
Lennie
Mar 01, 2009 Lennie rated it liked it
Thomas, a firefighter, rescues Anne when her house catches on fire. They fall in love but not everyone around them is supportive of their relationship. Both of them have endured personal tragedies in their lives, so this is like another chance at finding happiness. I enjoyed this love story and I found myself rooting for Thomas and Anne, hoping that they could overcome all the obstacles and be together.
punxsygal
Apr 20, 2016 punxsygal rated it really liked it
Anne David has returned to the island where she grew up following the death of her daughter and the breakup of her marriage. A house fire destroys her old family home but touches off the beginning of her recovery. A typical Luanne Rice book--lots of good character working their way through the problems in their lives. This was a story of two scarred people helping each other to begin to live again and of two teenagers trying to find their life paths.
Laureen
Jan 29, 2013 Laureen rated it liked it
This was my first Luanne Rice novel. It is a heart wrenching story about loss and recovery. The characters had substance and felt right. I clearly felt the sense of family, loss, jealousy and love that the author wanted to portray. I did feel, however, that it was rushed at the end. I will probably read more of her work. Quick read and enjoyable.
Dundee Library
Concentrating less on controversial topics and more on family and personal relationships, Luanne Rice's novels, particularly the earlier titles, are another good match for Picoult. The authors' use of characters is similar; strong, intelligent women who find themselves consumed by life's everyday and irregular tragedies but work out solutions with help from family and friends.
Jeanne Linn
Sep 07, 2014 Jeanne Linn rated it liked it
I enjoyed this book as it took me to an island again, always my favorite place to be. I liked the love story part, which had a little different twist with a man who lost his wife in a fire and was very badly burned and scarred, who then saves a lady who has lost her daughter to an accident and is almost burned in another fire. It also had some other interesting characters.
June
Aug 10, 2010 June rated it really liked it
Shelves: romance, love, tragedy
Anne has suffered a great tragedy, the firefighter who rescues her recognizes a fellow survivor. Can he help her? Then there is Anne's niece with her troublemaker boyfriend & friends. Can everyone survive the island year?
Denise
Sep 27, 2015 Denise rated it really liked it
Actually 4.5*, a great story told in well written prose! Firefly Beach was her best book so far in my opinion, but this book comes in a close second. I had trouble stopping reading to do other things. Every mother will appreciate this story!
Ann Miller
Jun 05, 2013 Ann Miller rated it really liked it
I loved the setting, didn't care for the sluggishness of the story. If the main character lacked warmth, the secondary characters sparkled. The romance was both too protracted and graphic for my taste. Yet there was something about the story that held me. I'd give Rice another shot. 3.5 Stars
Janice
Jun 13, 2012 Janice rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this book because, as always, I like it when a book ties up loose ends and I can walk away from it feeling like it was worth reading. I suppose the ending is predictable, but I would recommend this book for a summer beachside reading.
Emily Erdmann
Jul 12, 2015 Emily Erdmann rated it really liked it
Home Fires by Luanne Rice was an excellent book in my opinion, and I was hooked from the very beginning; I did not have to struggle through a few chapters before I became interested in the book. I would absolutely read this book again.
Maggie Shanley
Sep 25, 2013 Maggie Shanley rated it liked it
Okay story of daughters, sisters and rescue workers on a northern island, a tad depressing but held my attention.
Sabina
Jun 21, 2016 Sabina rated it really liked it
I enjoy Luanne as a writer, she has an amazing way of weaving family, love, betrayal, romance and fun into every novel.
Jyoti Singh
Sep 20, 2008 Jyoti Singh rated it really liked it
wasnt quite sure what to think of this one...was expecting a lot more than the atypical runaway teenager finding herself in the end..but not bad in content
Ratforce
With a similar writing style to Jodi Picoult, this is an inspirational novel about a woman starting her life over. If you like her style, Luanne Rice has written a large number of stand-alone novels.
Kristin Poley
This was a wonderful, emotional read. I loved that it followed multiple story lines and pulled them all together in the end.
  • Fulfillment
  • Kentucky Heat
  • Secrecy
  • Home Before Dark
  • Navy Brat (Navy #3)
Luanne Rice is the New York Times bestselling author of thirty-two novels including THE SECRET LANGUAGE OF SISTERS, her first YA novel. Five of her books have been made into movies and mini-series, many have been New York Times bestsellers and two of her pieces have been featured in off-Broadway theatre productions. She divides her time between New York City and the Connecticut shoreline.
More about Luanne Rice...