Home Fires

Home Fires

3.93 of 5 stars 3.93  ·  rating details  ·  1,444 ratings  ·  42 reviews
Anne Davis has returned to the house where she grew up, trading her glamorous Manhattan lifestyle for a harsh winter on a wind-whipped New England island. Her marriage has crumbled in the wake of a tragic accident. Now she has returned to the home on Salt Whistle Raod that has always meant shelter, security, family and love. When she awakens one snowy night to a fire that...more
Mass Market Paperback, 400 pages
Published April 26th 2005 by Bantam (first published 1995)

To ask other readers questions about Home Fires, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Home Fires

Paradise by Judith McNaughtThe Sweet Gum Tree by Katherine AllredOut of the Box Regifted by Jennifer TheriotPersuasion by Jane AustenOut of the Box Awakening by Jennifer Theriot
Best Second Chance Romance
119th out of 367 books — 718 voters
The Edge of Winter by Luanne RiceDance With Me by Luanne RiceBlue Moon by Luanne RiceHome Fires by Luanne RiceThe Perfect Summer by Luanne Rice
Best of Luanne Rice
4th out of 31 books — 3 voters

More lists with this book...

Lucinda
This book had a great concept. But fell very short of the mark. The very explicit oral sex scene with teenagers, as if it was ok, was wrong and is not acceptable to me. In reading others reviews, I am so surprised no one else has had the same feelings about this part of the book. I guess I am in the minority but just because its "real life" I can't accept reading about it as if its ok. I cant recommend this book.
Elizabeth Kennedy
Hmmm- What to say.... It wasn't a BAD book per se , and the story moved along well, but there was something about this book that made me feel icky. It had too much of the V.C Andrews genre about it, too mush of those late teen-early adult romance feel. The story centers around a woman who has lost her 5 year old ( and there were some terrific writing examples surrounding the emotion there) who has come back home after the breakup of her marriage. She is asleep one night when a fire breaks out in...more
Machel
This is one of my favorite books by Luanne Rice. I read this novel over 8 years ago, and it;s imagery stays with me. What I learned from this book is death does happen, but how we deal with it and move on and heal our lives is what is the miracle we have left when those we love die when accidents happen. I still remember a soup that was prepared in one of the scenes. A must read for anyone. m pulling this one out to read again
Carol
This book was riveting. Once I got past the early exposition, I was hooked. Two flawed people with emotional and physical scars, take a chance on loving again. I hoped they would eventually end up together, but they were very involved with their families and other characters that kept the story compelling and complicated their relationship. Some disturbing events and images on the way to Paradise.
Laura Lysiak
A true Luane Rice novel! Easy to read, wonderfully written. Characters full and robust. Got to know them all very well. Was sorry to say good bye to them.
Kathy
This book grabs you from the first page! It has a bit of everything in it, well written & I couldn't put it down!!
Judy
I'm tired of people finding their soulmates; time to move on to another author.
Nolan
Anne Davis has come home to heal. Home is a small island in New England
that relies heavily on tourist trade in the summer. She caught her husband
in bed with another woman in their New York apartment, and not long after
that, their four-year-old daughter fell to her death from an open window.
So Anne has come home to heal.

But healing is not immediate; and, indeed, she will pass through fire of
body and soul before she can reclaim happiness.

The old family home into which Anne has moved catches fire o...more
Kat
This is the first time I have read this author. Enjoyed the moral dilemmas, makes you think. I will definitely read more by Luanne Rice.
Judyw Winkleman
This was a good book. I was interested to read about stages the characters went through when dealing with death. Anne Davis lost her young daughter in a very tragic accident, and Thomas Devlin lost his wife in a fire. The issues these characters faced as they were getting acquainted were very real life. As one reviewer discussed, I didn't so much like the chapter which gave details of teenagers having sex for the first time, but it wasn't something to make me dislike the book. The story became v...more
Paula
MUCH more enjoyable than "Summer's Child." Not sure why but this one drew me in and kept my interest. Believable characters and some plot twists kept my attention. Was a bit suspect going into reading this book since the premise was based on yet another character who had suffered a tragedy and returned to her island childhood home to sort out life. Natrually, while there, she finds a life she wishes to lead and, of course, love. A perfect "summer read!"
Lennie
Thomas, a firefighter, rescues Anne when her house catches on fire. They fall in love but not everyone around them is supportive of their relationship. Both of them have endured personal tragedies in their lives, so this is like another chance at finding happiness. I enjoyed this love story and I found myself rooting for Thomas and Anne, hoping that they could overcome all the obstacles and be together.
Jeanne Linn
I enjoyed this book as it took me to an island again, always my favorite place to be. I liked the love story part, which had a little different twist with a man who lost his wife in a fire and was very badly burned and scarred, who then saves a lady who has lost her daughter to an accident and is almost burned in another fire. It also had some other interesting characters.
Dundee Library
Concentrating less on controversial topics and more on family and personal relationships, Luanne Rice's novels, particularly the earlier titles, are another good match for Picoult. The authors' use of characters is similar; strong, intelligent women who find themselves consumed by life's everyday and irregular tragedies but work out solutions with help from family and friends.
Laureen
This was my first Luanne Rice novel. It is a heart wrenching story about loss and recovery. The characters had substance and felt right. I clearly felt the sense of family, loss, jealousy and love that the author wanted to portray. I did feel, however, that it was rushed at the end. I will probably read more of her work. Quick read and enjoyable.
Ann Miller
I loved the setting, didn't care for the sluggishness of the story. If the main character lacked warmth, the secondary characters sparkled. The romance was both too protracted and graphic for my taste. Yet there was something about the story that held me. I'd give Rice another shot. 3.5 Stars
Janice
I enjoyed this book because, as always, I like it when a book ties up loose ends and I can walk away from it feeling like it was worth reading. I suppose the ending is predictable, but I would recommend this book for a summer beachside reading.
June
Anne has suffered a great tragedy, the firefighter who rescues her recognizes a fellow survivor. Can he help her? Then there is Anne's niece with her troublemaker boyfriend & friends. Can everyone survive the island year?
Ratforce
With a similar writing style to Jodi Picoult, this is an inspirational novel about a woman starting her life over. If you like her style, Luanne Rice has written a large number of stand-alone novels.
Karen seng
This book is worth reading .this book once you start you want to finish it. Ann looses her daughter at 4 her name is karen ann goes back to where she grew up that when things start happing
Jyoti Singh
wasnt quite sure what to think of this one...was expecting a lot more than the atypical runaway teenager finding herself in the end..but not bad in content
Dawn
Jan 04, 2009 Dawn rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Anyone who enjoys a good relationship story.
Recommended to Dawn by: I enjoy reading Luanne Rice's books.
It was quite awhile ago that I read this book, but I remember that I enjoyed it. This was one of my favorites that I have read by Luanne Rice so far.
Susanne Williams buch
very good book, I could not put it down. I read during lunch and was upset my lunch hour was over and I could not read more.
Princess
I love that this books somehow talks about the love shared by a family despite the odd things that happened to them.
Maggie Shanley
Okay story of daughters, sisters and rescue workers on a northern island, a tad depressing but held my attention.
Mary
I generally like Luanne Rice but could not get into this book. I finally gave up, which is very rare for me.
Sara
Loved this one - one of the first of hers I read. A potboiler, but has everything you could want in a book!
Karen
fantastic story one of Rices best.Great characters Icouldn't put it down at the end.
Amanda Humphrey
an easy read that is worth every bit of sleep missed when you cant put it down
Lorraine
Fluff could have been avoided and more attention added to character depth
  • More Than Friends
  • Kentucky Heat
  • Table for Five
  • Secrecy
  • Navy Brat (Navy #3)
  • Skyward
Luanne Rice is the New York Times bestselling author of thirty-one novels including THE LEMON ORCHARD (Viking/Pamela Dorman Books.) Five of her books have been made into movies and mini-series, many have been New York Times bestsellers and two of her pieces have been featured in off-Broadway theatre productions. She divides her time between New York City and the Connecticut shoreline.
More about Luanne Rice...
Beach Girls Follow the Stars Home Firefly Beach The Geometry of Sisters (Newport, Rhode Island, #1) Cloud Nine