3.74 of 5 stars 3.74  ·  rating details  ·  1,812 ratings  ·  99 reviews
Acclaimed for her insightful depiction of the magic and mystery in everyday life and relationships, Luanne Rice is one of today’s most gifted novelists. Now the author of eight consecutive New York Times bestsellers delivers her most powerful book yet—the story of a man and woman forced to choose between the past that haunts them and the love that won’t let them go.

Jane Po...more
480 pages
Published (first published 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Dance With Me, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dance With Me

The Help by Kathryn StockettThe Secret Life of Bees by Sue Monk KiddGone with the Wind by Margaret MitchellFried Green Tomatoes at the Whistle Stop Cafe by Fannie FlaggThe Notebook by Nicholas Sparks
Best Women's Fiction Novels
231st out of 852 books — 847 voters
Little Women by Louisa May AlcottThe Cider House Rules by John IrvingThe Scarlet Letter by Nathaniel HawthorneA Prayer for Owen Meany by John IrvingThe Crucible by Arthur Miller
New England Books
93rd out of 414 books — 209 voters

More lists with this book...

Sid Frost
Other reviewers have accurately described Luanne Rice's Dance With Me. What hit me when I read it was the way the author presented the book in the eyes of young, middle-aged, and older people. For example, Margaret Porter, the retired school principal, and mother of Jane and Sylvie, was in the early stages of dementia of some type. Being in her head was some times confusing to the reader, and well it should be.

Then, we get into the head of a 15-year old. But not just any 15-year old. Chloe is a...more
Jessica
I loved this book! I would have given it a five star rating for sure if not for two personal interferences. 1) It wasn't a slow read in that I wasn't interested, but it seemed to take me much longer than other books to get through, and 2) for me, the few scarce sexual encounters were a bit too descriptive, although, much less than some other books I've read. I really connected with the characters, and can't wait to pick up another Luanne Rice book. GREAT READ. Would highly recommend it.
Car
I don't think I will ever know what it feels like to have to give up a child, but I could sense the feelings Jane Porter had about finding her daughter she had to give up as a baby. The relationship between Dylan Chadwick and Jane was a nice one, but Jane was keeping too many secrets. I thought it was very sad the way Jane's mother, Margaret, was always trying to please her daughters, and how they also felt they needed to please her.
Donna
This is the second Luanne Rice book I have read, and I am thoroughly enjoying her writing. I now want to read all of her books. Dance with Me is about a woman who gave up her child at birth and it explores all the emotions connected with this selfless act. I am an adoptive mother and I can relate to this book thoroughly. I enjoyed it immensely. Luanne Rice writes as if she cherishes family connections.
Michele
This was good and hit close to home as the main character is an adopted child. Hard to put down, easy to read.
Kasi Lou
Couldn't get into the book. BORING!
Debashree
Sep 09, 2007 Debashree rated it 1 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: no one
YUCKKKKKKK!!!!!!
Heather
i didn't get very far into this book at all.in fact, i made it to page 13 and had to stop.
i didn't particularly want to read about an aging mother going senile or hearing her say that no matter if you tried or not,mothers always had favorites,or a guy who had lost his wife and daughter in some train accident.the whole thing screamed BORING!
she's one of those authors who are just boring.nothin is funny.you don't laugh out loud,you don't smile. i cant help but wonder if the authors are as stuffy a...more
Anne  (Booklady) Molinarolo
The subject of this book hit close to home for me since I am both adopted and have seen first hand a birth mother struggle with her choice to relinquish her rights to her child. It is not an easy decision and what-if questions are always near the surface. So I drawn to this lovely novel.

I loved the characters, the plot line, and Rice's sensitivity in her telling of the two stories so much that DANCE WITH ME kept me reading nonstop for 10 hours. I felt the pain, joy, tears, and laughter of these...more
Chris

Michelle

Luanne Rice

Fiction

285 pages

Dance with Me resonates with the magic and mystery of human relationships…and the real beauty of the human heart.

Jane Porter has always been a free spirit, as wild and beautiful as the vast acres of apple orchards in rural Twin Rivers, Rhode Island — the town forever etched upon her heart. Now, fourteen years after she left it behind, Jane is unexpectedly drawn home to her mother and only sister. Dylan Chadwick has come back too, shedding the steely exteri...more
Salsadancer
Ugh, I wouldn't have finished this book, or even picked it up, if it hadn't been for the title. Because I am a dancer I have make it a point to collect books with 'dance' in the title. This was tough going. About a young single girl who gave up her baby for adoption then went looking for her 15 years later and fell in love with her widowed uncle.
Carolee Weber
Ugh, I wouldn't have finished this book, or even picked it up, if it hadn't been a book group choice. And I really don't think it should be a choice for a book group. I guess it's summertime and some people might consider it a summer read because you don't need to think at all while reading it. I hate predictable books, and I knew how this one would end from the start. The dialogue was often ridiculous and the writing style was so well, cheesy would be one way to describe it. The characters were...more
DJ
This was just on the edge of being a great book. The story is good, and the character studies are well-developed, but I just...eh. Predictability is one of my least favorite things in a story. But it was good enough to keep me reading and saved me a trip to the library to pick up something else.
Ariel
Jun 18, 2008 Ariel rated it 1 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2008
Despite clean pacing and prose, the sentiments of this novel and the blandness of the romance plot line doom it. The writer is clearly very competant and I feel it is a shame that she spent less time talking about the very interesting aging mother, fighting against the knowledge that she is losing her mind to Alzheimer's, and less time talking about the mystical bond between mother and child and how no pregnant teenage girl would want to abort.

Facing insomnia, I tried one night to find somethin...more
Rhonda Rae Baker
I enjoy Luanne Rice and the way she weaves true life into her novels. The characters are real and their emotions are felt through what happens. This novel touched me in many different ways but the two deepest was learning to speak your mind and not worrying about what others think. Leaning to do what is right for you...like not giving up your baby just to please others or cover for their perceived image. Leaning to express yourself honestly and truthfully, not hiding your motives is a biggie for...more
Heather
So I've decided I should make a notation next to the titles on my "to be read" list. This notation should have the reason why I wanted to read that book. I cannot for the life of me figure out why this one was on my list. It was REALLY bad. Very predictable writing-made me feel like I was being talked to like a 1st grader. Too many explanations of the obvious. Also, it dealt with the topic of adoption poorly. Also, as a Catholic, I couldn't tell if the author was trying to put down the church or...more
Michele Olson
Self-absorbed characters, unlikely scenarios and ending. I'm a great fan of Luanne Rice but this is not one of my favorites.
Kristy Trauzzi
I have a hard time imagining a life where you have to decide whether to look after your parent yourself or send them to a home. Sometimes even if you don't want to, you just have no option.

I think the rest of the story was a bit too predictable and a bit too unreal. I doubt you revealing yourself as a minors birth mother is going to go over that smoothly. There was really no upset, she just kinda went away and everyone forgave her. Then the adoptive parents were like oh yes, please bring her bac...more
Ginny
After more than a decade as the owner of a bakery in New York City, Jane comes home to Rhode Island to help her sister with the care of their elderly mother. Jane meets and falls in love with Dylan Chadwick, the owner of an apple orchard in town. The orchard belongs to the family that adopted Chloe, the baby girl Jane gave up when she was in college. Dylan and Jane are both trying to get over their pasts. Lots of heartache and drama ensue in this romance. The characters are engaging and real and...more
Reddwhine
I tried to read this book for a book club I belong to. I just couldn't finish it. While the writing was not awful the topics and the characters were just so mundane and irritating I had to stop. I think part of my problem is that this is not the kind of book I'm usually interested in reading but that's part of being in a book club...to read outside my comfort level. Usually when I start a book I don't give up and read to the bitter end but I couldn't do it this time. This book just didn't educat...more
Amanda
i really enjoyed this book. it wasn't overly exciting but touched my heart how real the plot was. i could just see this having actually happened to a family and that really puller at my heartstrings. i really identified with the fact that everyone messes up but you can always go back home. thought that was just beautiful. the story was a bit slow at times and maybe even confusing going from one person to the next, but worth it for the over all story line.
Joan E Granger
I sort of relate to the character named Sylvie because I too live with my elderly mother. Like all her books, Luanne Rice, seems to ramble on about sentimental subjects. This story is sort of like "Beach Girls" in a way that it involves a child losing a parent and growing up having to adjust to it.

It is a descent story read. No vulgarity. I prefer it that way.

It is slow out the gate, but it get's better toward the end.
Bj Hoover
Jane Porter has returned to her "past" and finds herself drawn into working out all that has happened before. I don't know if she goes about it the correct way, but it does all work out at the end. Dylan Chadwick has come back, too, and with their converging lives, small-town secrets and unexpected miracles, we have an insight into the lives of mothers, daughters, sisters and lovers that will remain in memory a long time.
Cathy
This was a nice story about a mom who gave up her daughter at birth, but really never forgot about her. She was determined to find her and meet her and even give up her life in New York, if need be. I didn't care for the ending...left a lot of unanswered questions, but I don't want to give anything away. I enjoyed reading this story and the really liked the characters.
Lindsey
This was a wonderful story and as always, her characters are damaged but lovable. It pulled the heartstrings while touching on adoption, family relationships and of course, the healing power of love. The story line was a little unbelievable at times, but isn't a novel supposed to allow you to daydream and believe in happy endings? A great rainy day read!
Gemma
I have to say I got really sick of how Jane was constantly referred to as Chloe's "real" mother. It makes it sound as if Chloe's adoptive mother is a fake, or something. Why couldn't the author use the term "birth mother" or "biological mother"? Considering that this was published in 2005, I would've thought there'd be more sensitivity to that.
Virginia Markhart
My second time reading this book. Definitely worth it. This book is about a woman who gave her baby up for adoption due to pressure she was put under by her own mother. When she comes back to her hometown to help care for her aging mother, she reconnects with her now 15 yr old daughter. It is so good. Lots of emotion.
Tracey
Jul 31, 2008 Tracey rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommended to Tracey by: my friend Diana Parker
This book was wonderful.. Luanne Rice is amazing with not only coming up with wonderful, touching, stories, but also with her word imagery. You can picture everything in her books so clearly! This was a beautiful story about a family - well, I don't even want to say cause I will give it away. Just read it. You'll love it.
  • The Sight of the Stars
  • Carolina Isle
  • Dream Makers: Untamed / Less of a Stranger
  • Keepsake
  • The Senator's Wife
  • Lover's Lane (Twilight Cove, #1)
Luanne Rice is the New York Times bestselling author of thirty-one novels including THE LEMON ORCHARD (Viking/Pamela Dorman Books.) Five of her books have been made into movies and mini-series, many have been New York Times bestsellers and two of her pieces have been featured in off-Broadway theatre productions. She divides her time between New York City and the Connecticut shoreline.
More about Luanne Rice...
Beach Girls Follow the Stars Home The Geometry of Sisters (Newport, Rhode Island, #1) Firefly Beach Cloud Nine