Start by marking “Dance With Me” as Want to Read:

3.76  ·  Rating Details ·  2,145 Ratings  ·  110 Reviews
Acclaimed for her insightful depiction of the magic and mystery in everyday life and relationships, Luanne Rice is one of today’s most gifted novelists. Now the author of eight consecutive New York Times bestsellers delivers her most powerful book yet—the story of a man and woman forced to choose between the past that haunts them and the love that won’t let them go.

Jane Po
480 pages
Published (first published 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Dance With Me, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dance With Me

The Help by Kathryn StockettThe Secret Life of Bees by Sue Monk KiddGone with the Wind by Margaret MitchellPride and Prejudice by Jane AustenThe Notebook by Nicholas Sparks
Best Women's Fiction Novels
321st out of 1,254 books — 1,207 voters
The Edge of Winter by Luanne RiceDance With Me by Luanne RiceBlue Moon by Luanne RiceHome Fires by Luanne RiceThe Perfect Summer by Luanne Rice
Best of Luanne Rice
2nd out of 44 books — 10 voters

More lists with this book...

Sid Frost
Nov 20, 2010 Sid Frost rated it it was amazing
Other reviewers have accurately described Luanne Rice's Dance With Me. What hit me when I read it was the way the author presented the book in the eyes of young, middle-aged, and older people. For example, Margaret Porter, the retired school principal, and mother of Jane and Sylvie, was in the early stages of dementia of some type. Being in her head was some times confusing to the reader, and well it should be.

Then, we get into the head of a 15-year old. But not just any 15-year old. Chloe is a
Jessica
May 21, 2009 Jessica rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-2009
I loved this book! I would have given it a five star rating for sure if not for two personal interferences. 1) It wasn't a slow read in that I wasn't interested, but it seemed to take me much longer than other books to get through, and 2) for me, the few scarce sexual encounters were a bit too descriptive, although, much less than some other books I've read. I really connected with the characters, and can't wait to pick up another Luanne Rice book. GREAT READ. Would highly recommend it.
Car
Nov 14, 2007 Car rated it really liked it
I don't think I will ever know what it feels like to have to give up a child, but I could sense the feelings Jane Porter had about finding her daughter she had to give up as a baby. The relationship between Dylan Chadwick and Jane was a nice one, but Jane was keeping too many secrets. I thought it was very sad the way Jane's mother, Margaret, was always trying to please her daughters, and how they also felt they needed to please her.
Crystal
Feb 02, 2016 Crystal rated it it was amazing
Loved this book. Highly recommend.
Donna
Oct 18, 2008 Donna rated it it was amazing
This is the second Luanne Rice book I have read, and I am thoroughly enjoying her writing. I now want to read all of her books. Dance with Me is about a woman who gave up her child at birth and it explores all the emotions connected with this selfless act. I am an adoptive mother and I can relate to this book thoroughly. I enjoyed it immensely. Luanne Rice writes as if she cherishes family connections.
Lexi
Oct 12, 2014 Lexi rated it liked it
This book was one I received in a shopping bag full of books from my mother-in-law. It's not my typical fare (I've never been into "women's fiction" or whatever you might call this type of book), but I simply cannot let a book pass through my doors without reading it, so I held onto the book and am finally now getting around to reading it. It was good, a quick read - one of those books that hold your attention while you read them, but forget the plot of almost as soon as you're done.

This book i
Michele
Nov 22, 2009 Michele rated it really liked it
This was good and hit close to home as the main character is an adopted child. Hard to put down, easy to read.
TheReadingKnitter/ Kasey
May 15, 2008 TheReadingKnitter/ Kasey rated it did not like it
Couldn't get into the book. BORING!
Debashree
Sep 09, 2007 Debashree rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: no one
YUCKKKKKKK!!!!!!
Heather
Nov 18, 2011 Heather rated it did not like it
i didn't get very far into this book at all.in fact, i made it to page 13 and had to stop.
i didn't particularly want to read about an aging mother going senile or hearing her say that no matter if you tried or not,mothers always had favorites,or a guy who had lost his wife and daughter in some train accident.the whole thing screamed BORING!
she's one of those authors who are just boring.nothin is funny.you don't laugh out loud,you don't smile. i cant help but wonder if the authors are as stuffy a
Anne  (Booklady) Molinarolo
The subject of this book hit close to home for me since I am both adopted and have seen first hand a birth mother struggle with her choice to relinquish her rights to her child. It is not an easy decision and what-if questions are always near the surface. So I drawn to this lovely novel.

I loved the characters, the plot line, and Rice's sensitivity in her telling of the two stories so much that DANCE WITH ME kept me reading nonstop for 10 hours. I felt the pain, joy, tears, and laughter of these
Chris
Mar 03, 2013 Chris rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: luanne-rice

Michelle
Mar 22, 2011 Michelle rated it liked it

Luanne Rice

Fiction

285 pages

Dance with Me resonates with the magic and mystery of human relationships…and the real beauty of the human heart.

Jane Porter has always been a free spirit, as wild and beautiful as the vast acres of apple orchards in rural Twin Rivers, Rhode Island — the town forever etched upon her heart. Now, fourteen years after she left it behind, Jane is unexpectedly drawn home to her mother and only sister. Dylan Chadwick has come back too, shedding the steely exteri
Kris - My Novelesque Life
Jan 20, 2015 Kris - My Novelesque Life rated it really liked it
3.5 STARS

"Jane Porter left the apple orchards of rural Twin Rivers, Rhode Island, years ago, fleeing memories that could tear two families apart. Now she has been unexpectedly drawn home to her mother and only sister. Dylan Chadwick has come back, too, shedding the steely exterior he wore as a federal agent in order to follow in the footsteps of his apple-farming father and forget the life he once lived. Amid this landscape of loss and renewal, a haunting story of converging lives, small-town se
Salsadancer
Jun 28, 2014 Salsadancer rated it it was ok
Ugh, I wouldn't have finished this book, or even picked it up, if it hadn't been for the title. Because I am a dancer I have make it a point to collect books with 'dance' in the title. This was tough going. About a young single girl who gave up her baby for adoption then went looking for her 15 years later and fell in love with her widowed uncle.
Carolee Weber
Jun 11, 2014 Carolee Weber rated it it was ok
Ugh, I wouldn't have finished this book, or even picked it up, if it hadn't been a book group choice. And I really don't think it should be a choice for a book group. I guess it's summertime and some people might consider it a summer read because you don't need to think at all while reading it. I hate predictable books, and I knew how this one would end from the start. The dialogue was often ridiculous and the writing style was so well, cheesy would be one way to describe it. The characters were ...more
DJ
Apr 06, 2014 DJ rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was just on the edge of being a great book. The story is good, and the character studies are well-developed, but I just...eh. Predictability is one of my least favorite things in a story. But it was good enough to keep me reading and saved me a trip to the library to pick up something else.
Megan Jordan
Aug 24, 2016 Megan Jordan rated it really liked it
This was the first Luanne Rice book I have read, and I really enjoyed the character driven story. The apple orchard, the back stories, the portraits of each individual drew me in, and as a fan of Elin Hilderbrand and Kristin Hannah I also see myself seeking out more by this author.
Ariel
Jun 18, 2008 Ariel rated it did not like it
Shelves: 2008
Despite clean pacing and prose, the sentiments of this novel and the blandness of the romance plot line doom it. The writer is clearly very competant and I feel it is a shame that she spent less time talking about the very interesting aging mother, fighting against the knowledge that she is losing her mind to Alzheimer's, and less time talking about the mystical bond between mother and child and how no pregnant teenage girl would want to abort.

Facing insomnia, I tried one night to find somethin
Rhonda Rae Baker
Oct 06, 2010 Rhonda Rae Baker rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoy Luanne Rice and the way she weaves true life into her novels. The characters are real and their emotions are felt through what happens. This novel touched me in many different ways but the two deepest was learning to speak your mind and not worrying about what others think. Leaning to do what is right for you...like not giving up your baby just to please others or cover for their perceived image. Leaning to express yourself honestly and truthfully, not hiding your motives is a biggie for ...more
Heather
Jul 24, 2008 Heather rated it did not like it
So I've decided I should make a notation next to the titles on my "to be read" list. This notation should have the reason why I wanted to read that book. I cannot for the life of me figure out why this one was on my list. It was REALLY bad. Very predictable writing-made me feel like I was being talked to like a 1st grader. Too many explanations of the obvious. Also, it dealt with the topic of adoption poorly. Also, as a Catholic, I couldn't tell if the author was trying to put down the church or ...more
Rosemary Cantrell
Beach read - picked up in the condo. This was about a mother who gave up her child to adoption and what happens 15 years later when she seeks her out. It was actually not bad.
Stephi
Apr 19, 2016 Stephi rated it it was amazing
Luanne is so good at developing characters. I really liked Chloe and Margaret especially in this book. I like having the story from everyone's perspective.
Sabina
Jun 21, 2016 Sabina rated it really liked it
I enjoy Luanne as a writer, she has an amazing way of weaving family, love, betrayal, romance and fun into every novel.
Michele Olson
May 18, 2014 Michele Olson rated it it was ok
Self-absorbed characters, unlikely scenarios and ending. I'm a great fan of Luanne Rice but this is not one of my favorites.
Kristy Trauzzi
Mar 05, 2012 Kristy Trauzzi rated it it was ok
I have a hard time imagining a life where you have to decide whether to look after your parent yourself or send them to a home. Sometimes even if you don't want to, you just have no option.

I think the rest of the story was a bit too predictable and a bit too unreal. I doubt you revealing yourself as a minors birth mother is going to go over that smoothly. There was really no upset, she just kinda went away and everyone forgave her. Then the adoptive parents were like oh yes, please bring her bac
Debbie
I enjoyed this book. It's a quick read. No real mystery or anything, just enjoyable.
Ginny
Jan 15, 2008 Ginny rated it liked it
After more than a decade as the owner of a bakery in New York City, Jane comes home to Rhode Island to help her sister with the care of their elderly mother. Jane meets and falls in love with Dylan Chadwick, the owner of an apple orchard in town. The orchard belongs to the family that adopted Chloe, the baby girl Jane gave up when she was in college. Dylan and Jane are both trying to get over their pasts. Lots of heartache and drama ensue in this romance. The characters are engaging and real and ...more
Reddwhine
Apr 27, 2013 Reddwhine rated it did not like it
Shelves: gave-up
I tried to read this book for a book club I belong to. I just couldn't finish it. While the writing was not awful the topics and the characters were just so mundane and irritating I had to stop. I think part of my problem is that this is not the kind of book I'm usually interested in reading but that's part of being in a book club...to read outside my comfort level. Usually when I start a book I don't give up and read to the bitter end but I couldn't do it this time. This book just didn't educat ...more
Cheryl Douglas
Nov 17, 2014 Cheryl Douglas added it
Recommended to Cheryl by: Carrie McDonald
This was a very good book.
  • The Senator's Wife
  • The Vineyard
  • The Sight of the Stars
  • Home Before Dark
  • About Face
  • Truly, Madly Manhattan (2-in-1)
  • Don't Tempt Me...
  • Carolina Isle
  • Lover's Lane (Twilight Cove, #1)
  • Captive of the Border Lord (Brunson Clan Trilogy #2)
  • Prospect Street
  • The Sheik and the Virgin Secretary
  • Southern Comforts
Luanne Rice is the New York Times bestselling author of thirty-two novels including THE SECRET LANGUAGE OF SISTERS, her first YA novel. Five of her books have been made into movies and mini-series, many have been New York Times bestsellers and two of her pieces have been featured in off-Broadway theatre productions. She divides her time between New York City and the Connecticut shoreline.
More about Luanne Rice...

“In the absence of sisters, we find sisters. In the absence of mothers, we find mothers. In the absence of family, you are my family.’ ” 1 likes
“Jane’s dream had ripped her heart from her chest, as if the past were a lion that could eat her alive.” 0 likes