Summer Light

Summer Light

3.81 of 5 stars 3.81  ·  rating details  ·  1,504 ratings  ·  103 reviews
When it comes to love and family, the things you can’t see are what matter most of all.

Published May 28th 2002 by Bantam (first published 2001)

Dale Harcombe
two and a half stars. Sometimes you just feel like comfort food to make you feel better and in a way that's what Luanne Rice's books often are for me. It is about two stubborn people May and Martin and a little girl who sees angels and talks to them, supposedly. I'm not sure in the end even why I kept reading it, as the character of Martin was really annoying with his temper tantrums and his obsession with winning.
The story was sentimental, mystical, at times unbelievable and about ice hockey w...more
Anna Marie
I actually wanted to give this book three stars, because I didn't like how angry the hero was most of the time... but the truth of the matter is, he acted exactly like a guy would. And the book hooked me. I mean, really hooked me. In spite of the fact that there was a lot wrong with it.

May is a wedding planner who dresses like crap and works out of a barn filled with owls and bats... yes, she stores gowns there. How. Stupid. I've had a barn full of bats - you don't put ANYTHING you like there, h...more
Julie Barrett
Summer Light by Luanne Rice
This novel is about May who is a wedding planner with others and their business is in a barn in CT. Her daughter Cali is a clairvoyant and she hears from things that are hurt: animals, angels in a different time.
On a plane she got a vision of a little girl asking her to help her father-the hockey player. When the plane crash lands he is able to help May and Cali and their relationship develops. Each opens up to one another telling of their secrets-not all of them.
As ti...more
Eddy Allen
cc:

Bestselling novelist Luanne Rice has inspired the devotion of readers everywhere with her “rare combination of realism and romance.”(The New York Times Book Review) Now she presents her most magical novel to date, an entrancing story of love at first sight, the true meaning of family, and angels right here on earth.

May Taylor works as a wedding planner, passing on the timeless traditions of her grandmother...more
Phaedra
It was alright. If you have nothing better to read then go for it.
Monkeyface
Listened to Summer Lightby Luanne Rice. Abandoned by the father of her child, May Taylor supports herself by her work as a gifted wedding planner with her best friend and great-aunt, carrying on the timeless traditions established by her grandmother and mother. She is a devoted mother to her daughter, Kylie - a very special child. For Kylie sees and hears things no one else can. Her unique visions will lead May to a love she never expected and a life she never imagined. Martin Cartier is a profe...more
Louise
I enjoyed this and was surprised to learn that Rice had written this novel after visiting the 'Hockey Hall of Fame' and 'Toronto Maple Leaf Gardens'!! Nice to know that some of the U.S. authors "appreciate" Canada and what we have here.

From the dust jacket:
"May Taylor works as a wedding planner with her best friend and great aunt, passing on the timeless traditions established by her grandmother and mother. The Taylor women have always believed in the presence of magic in everyday life-especiall...more
Michèle
Jun 16, 2012 Michèle rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Fans des Bruins de Boston!
Recommended to Michèle by: Vente de garage!
Une mère célibataire et un gros goon des Bruins de Boston tombent en amour, et on les suit à travers trois coupes Stanley. Le goon a un passé douloureux, une brouille avec son père (lequel fut aussi un joueur professionnel, mais croupit en prison suite à des malversations).
Que demander de plus: sport et romance! Et de belles descriptions des Laurentides (région du lac Vert, quelqu'un connaît?)

Martin Cartier, le gros goon est un Québécois d'origine (ce qui fait mettre quelque mots français dans l...more
Cathyd
Story itself was okay, but not great. Martin's temper tantrums got old really fast (especially around the young girl!), and some of the details were appallingly inaccurate.

Two people get lost in a blizzard in eastern Canada, and save themselves by building an igloo. Really? Insta-igloo, because we all know that Canadian children are taught how to build igloos as soon as they're old enough to hold a snow knife. I could've believed a snow cave, but not an igloo.

I am not a hockey fan, but even I...more
Lyndi
Maria Miaoulis
It's quite rare when Luanne Rice's stories take place anywhere else but along the New England coastline, and this is one of them. Set in Black Hall, Connecticut, Boston and Canada, the breathtaking surroundings take turns working their magic on a family that's healing from various degrees of loss. Ms. Rice always has me under her spell when she's passionately describing beautiful locations such as these, settings where the deepest love suddenly envelopes you and makes you believe that all things...more
June
I don't know if I liked this so much because it reminded me a bit of the movie, "The Sixth Sense." Kylie's Mother, May, is worried about her, because Kylie talks to the air. May's own belief in love was shattered when Kylie's father abandoned her. Martin Cartier, is a hockey star with his own demons - scarred by money collectors when he was a boy due to his father's gambling and then by his daughter's death due to an accident at his father's also with money collectors. However, a little girl sto...more
Laurie
fast easy read that was engaging if a bit corny but enjoyed it. good for vacationing if you don't want to tax yourself too much but keep wanting to go back to your book
Ana E.
I loved how manly Martin Cartier is being portrayed in the story :)
Made me like Hockey for a while.
Jeanne Linn
I love this book. I've read it twice and am going to read it again as soon as my sister loans me the copy I gave HER for Christmas! She also loves it! It is a tearjerker, and we both found things we related to in it. I think it is my favorite Luanne Rice book and I love most of what I have read by her. I sent her a letter recently that I'd written when I read it while working for Colorado DOC. She responded that she would like to give some books to my library. So I sent her information for the C...more
Saadia
I liked the relationship between the two... Love happens for mysterious reasons. I was personally touched by the description of the hero having trouble facing his injury - denying it, adapting to it, so much like my husband when he faced heart failure. The story uses blindness to force the person to see the love connection buried under layers of pain and mistakes. This is very profound as I see blindness happening right now to my mother-in-law and she is definitely struggling with it. what soul...more
Becky
This was such a warm, touching story. I really enjoyed the strength of each character. I found Kylie facinating and her way of talking with the angels. I learned alot about professional hockey. Her wordage and description was fantastic. I felt I was right there, on the ice, on the lake, in the woods. Reading how Martin deals with his demons of past, present, and future was excellent. May was brought out as a strong, determined woman. That's a nice feature for a change. Usually, they are the ones...more
Ronnie
May 05, 2014 Ronnie added it
Light-hearted but interesting
Patricia Solla
Really enjoyed this tale. It really get you caught up in the excitement of the NHL. There are a lot of things going on in this book but not too many that you can't keep up with them. The storyline moves quickly. The reader gets caught up in the story of the hockey player and the wedding planner but there's a lot more going on in their lives. There's a lot of depth of character in the telling of this tale. There's a little pyschic involvment but mostly it's just an interesting story of human natu...more
Carla Hostetter
Rice always does her women and children so well, and little Kylie who opens the story in an exciting scene is no exception. Having a vision of disaster aboard a flight, she appeals to hockey star, Martin Cartier to save her and her mother, May. Eventually, May and Martin marry, but the man is so stubborn he cannot forgive May's attempt to reconcile him to his father or even admit he is going blind in pursuit of the Stanley Cup. Not quite the HEA you might expect in this one, but a realistic end...more
Jeanne
Being a recovering hockey fan, I enjoyed this story, though it was sad. This is the story of hockey star Martin Cartier and single mother May Taylor. May's daughter sees angels and can predict events, giving the story a bit of a supernatural element. Martin has had many injuries to his head and eyes and in the story he is paying the price. He is estranged from his hockey star father who is in prison. Can love and forgiveness overcome all?
Marissa
A single mother struggles to care for her young daughter, who is able to see and speak to beings no one else can see. When a being tells the daughter about an impending disaster, the girl asks for help from a man, Martin. Martin has problems of his own already, but together, the ghost and the young girl will help the family. It's an interesting tale with a touch of the supernatural. Very enjoyable.
R*beth*h Hart
The hockey player and the wedding planner whose daughter has second sight. This was a great wholesome book about life and forgiveness. I was drawn to the turmoil of the relationship and hoping for the best outcome, that doesn't always mean picture perfect in this books case though. Honestly have to say I wish I had a visual of that hunky hockey team and could hear the sexy Canadian-French accent!
Joanie
Kylie and her mother, May were on a flight when Kylie eyed a gentelman named Martin who was a famous hockey player. Kylie had special powers but would they work this time? Alot of things had happened that made Martin bitter, cold and heartbroken. Would the magic of forgiveness and romance be reached? What a wonderful read with undescribeable powers right from the first page.
Carol
Sep 10, 2008 Carol rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommended to Carol by: my daughter's mother-in-law
It was an interesting story because of the little girl who "saw" the man's daughter and sometimes the needs of people. The love story was good because it wasn't smooth going but the couple hung in there, sometimes separately but still dedicated to loving each other.
Too much description in places and the jumping around from one person/time to another was disruptive.
Ellen
Light, easy summer read. An NHL hockey star is facing the end of his career, as years of injuries have taken their toll on his body. He meets a woman on the plane ride back to Boston and they begin a relationship. Their lives seem almost perfect until Martin is forced to confront the ghosts of his past and the realization that he is going blind from an old eye injury.
Gatlianne Gatlianne
This was my least favorite book I've read by Luanne Rice. The story was choppy for me and I found myself not loving the characters, save Kylie.

I wouldn't recommend this book. Even though the ending was back in a happy space, I even shed a few tears at how things had come full circle and back together - overall the book left me with an uneasy feeling.
Tressa
Summer Light was an enjoyable book. I liked the developing relationships between Martin, May, and Kylie as a family. Initially, I wasn't certain about Kylie's visions, but I accepted them in the long run. There were three mistakes regarding hockey, which did detract me from the story, but I was curious as to how the story would end.
Katie
waa waa waa waa...people crying every two pages. my goodness. not really very well written either...i really had no sense where any character was cuz all of a sudden they'd be somewhere else, with no indication of any sort of movement. the story was not really that exciting...though the little girl was kinda cute.
Trellyn
This was a wonderful low key and clean. It's a big difference the what I'm use to reading but I had won it from a blog that I follow and I was excited to start reading it. I would suggest it to anyone who is thinking about reading it. There is a little paranormal to this but it flows with the book wonderfully.
LuAnne Rice--Book Recommendations For Similar Authors 3 19 Aug 28, 2013 12:19PM
  • About Face
  • Lake News
  • Heartsight
  • Lady Folbroke's Delicious Deception (Mills & Boon Historical)
  • One Unashamed Night (Wellinghams, #2)
  • Fox River
  • Taste of Honey
  • Fireside (Lakeshore Chronicles, #5)
  • Someday Soon (Deliverance Company, #1)
  • Blue Willow
  • Return to Summerhouse
Luanne Rice is the New York Times bestselling author of thirty-one novels including THE LEMON ORCHARD (Viking/Pamela Dorman Books.) Five of her books have been made into movies and mini-series, many have been New York Times bestsellers and two of her pieces have been featured in off-Broadway theatre productions. She divides her time between New York City and the Connecticut shoreline.
More about Luanne Rice...
Beach Girls Follow the Stars Home The Geometry of Sisters (Newport, Rhode Island, #1) Firefly Beach Cloud Nine