Start by marking “Ten Thousand Charms (Crossroads of Grace #1)” as Want to Read:
Ten Thousand Charms (Crossroads of Grace #1)

Ten Thousand Charms (Crossroads of Grace #1)

3.82 of 5 stars 3.82  ·  rating details  ·  453 ratings  ·  44 reviews
Unfit for Love?

Pregnant—by a man who will never know or care. Gloria, born into a life of prostitution, sees only one solution: get rid of the child. But then she meets John William MacGregan, a miner, left with a newborn daughter and no one to care for her when his wife died during childbirth. So John and Gloria strike a deal. Gloria will care for Kate, and John will ev
Published May 1st 2006 by Multnomah Books (first published March 24th 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Ten Thousand Charms, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ten Thousand Charms

Emilee
I absolutely could not put this down! Fun-loving characters, gripping story line and a wonderful message of God's love! The hero in this story is so "real". I love to read books where the hero is the perfect gentlemen, has amazing self-control and who never gives up on his woman but that's more fantasy than realistic. This guy is not the most good-looking man she has ever laid eyes on, nor does he always say the right thing. He is just a "real" guy trying to get through life. I will be looking f ...more
Cassandra

This book is compared to Redeeming Love by Francine Rivers. I can see the similarities but I think Redeeming Love is a better story. Ten Thousand Charms is an interesting story about a prostitute being needed as a mother and how she learns to accept true love.

I did have a question about the theology presented. One of the characters tells our heroine that "it's God and God alone that we sin against. You see? Not against each other. Not against our children" (299). Is this Biblical? I kn
Jennifer Marie
Jeni Enjaian
Although I have given this book a four star rating, I did not enjoy it as much as books that I normally give 4 stars to. (Obviously, I did enjoy the book but more like a 3.5 than a 4. Goodreads, update your rating system and let us give half stars!)
I thought that this book was well written. The characters were flawed in real, believable ways. The plot moved along at a brisk but not too rapid pace. Ms. Pittman's descriptions created beautiful, realistic images. The ultimate conclusion avoided a c
Audrey
Ten Thousands Charms portrays the story of Gloria, a woman with a shameful past, and John William, a devout widower with his own ugly secrets.
It's 1860 in Wyoming Territory. Gloria arrives in a small mining town alone and pregnant. She has no idea who the father is because she was forced into a life of prostitution at a very young age. While Gloria has no intention of keeping the fatherless child, her friend refuses to help her get rid of the baby. When a miner loses his wife in childbirth, Glo
Bobbie Jo Miller
Michelle
Synopsis of the book:

A woman with no future.

A man with no hope.

A God who knows the key to their deepest need lies in each other?

Wyoming Territories, 1860. Gloria is in trouble. A mining camp is a merciless place when you're young, pregnant--and a prostitute. No matter. Life will not defeat her.

John William McGregan is in despair. His beloved wife died in childbirth. And while John is a resourceful man, raising an infant daughter on his own seems impossible.

Thrown together by a seemingly cru
Denise Schiller
at first I didn't want to read this book. the plot was just something I couldn't relate to, until I began seeing her as a dear friend. then I fell in love with her right along with mcgregan. come the end I cried as much for Kate as For her when she finally gave up and let go of her past. I loved this book, I cried and I'm not even a religious type. you will enjoy this book.
Anna Thevaos
This won't be too wordy... My opinion of this book is not based on quality of writing. It was well written. Predictable. But a decent read. HOWEVER, I gave 2 stars ( and was tempted to go one star) because this book smacked "knock- off" Redeeming Love- and not very successfully. I'm not sure I even want to attempt trying to read book 2. In afraid I might get another knock off of another book I've read.
Sara
I was initially really impressed with Ten Thousand Charms; I don't ordinarily read Christian fiction because I often find it trite and unrealistic. TTC at first surprised me by being a much more accurate portrayal of real people struggling with hard choices and trying to do the best they could with the lives they'd been living. It wasn't like the main character just met the right person, or woke up one day and realized that her decisions were all screwed up; it took her time, and nothing happene ...more
Christy
This book was probably more of a bad fit for me than actually a bad book. I just did not enjoy reading about Jewell and her girls. The whole prostitute angle has never appealed to me anyway it was written. It might of took too long for me for Gloria to find her way.
Amanda
I wasn't going to write a review until the read the first review, which I completely disagreed with. I loved this book and I thought the ending was perfect. Pittman does an excellent job of building up both main characters and you empathize with them no matter who you are. She does such a great job conveying Christ's sacrificial love for us and the story is both heart-wrenching and heart-warming at the same time. I also do not like to compare authors or books because each author is unique and ea ...more
Jen
Dec 28, 2008 Jen rated it 2 of 5 stars
Shelves: drama
The first book of a series about the American Frontier.

Gloria moved out west to be a prostitute; her mother left her when she was young, so she spent her life selling her body.
Now she finds herself pregnant and with no place to go.

John moved out west to pursue his boxing career; he actually kills someone in a bar fight, so he is out west looking for a new identity.

Gloria and John meet and the lives are never the same again.

They wind up sharing a home, but will they get married? I guess readers
Scott Jeremy Nino Roberts
The book looks very nice.
Diane
"We can make all the plans we want to, can try to make people fit and fill our lives, but there's not a thing we can do outside of His power. Funny how sometimes it's the people who love God the most that are the worst about lettin' Him do His work, and the ones that don't care the least are happy driftin' along, not even knowing they're under His hand."
Kristy Stroman
I looooved this book! Such a lovely story that reveals the precious redemptive grace of our Savior! A must-read!!
Margaret
Oct 17, 2012 Margaret rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommended to Margaret by: Amy Kittel
Another Historical Christian Fiction about a prostitute, but unlike any other. This story is based in the northwest of the United States and brings together a very unlikely list of characters that as a reader you come to understand and find little ways to relate to. This is a good read, it is for a mature audience, however.
Esther
I enjoyed this one. Not the best book I've ever read, but even so, it kept me reading. I liked the storyline about how a street worker can change their lives and be given a second chance. Even if they don't believe they can in the beginning. It just takes someone to come along side them and do life together...
Cheryl-Lynn
Well, I wanted to like this book. I thought I would because I like most Christian fiction but alas, I did not. There were parts of it I liked. Gloria definitely has had a hard life but she doesn't have to throw herself back into it. The ending pretty much cemented my star rating. Ending, what ending?
Zette
I liked this book and would have given it 4 stars but I absolutely hated the abrupt ending! I turned the page expecting to have another chapter and found a sample of the next book in the series. I will continue reading and hopefully I will find a conclusion to John William and Gloria's story.
Cari
This was a good story and I really enjoyed reading it. It reminded me a little bit of Francine Rivers' book Redeeming Love, but this one was much more to my taste.
Denise
More of a 3.5 for me, but definitely above average. Good Christian fiction without being too syrupy, heavy handed or intense. I like it when I can enjoy a good read and be challenged, while at the same time spend an afternoon with an enjoyable book.
Vickie
This is a clean, western romance about a woman who has had a rough past, but somehow ends up in a perfect situation. I would have sworn this was LDS fiction, but I managed to get through it anyway.
Terri Finnie
I wasn't sure what to expect from this book, but I really enjoyed it. It kind of had the feel of a good old black and white homesteader movie. I quite enjoyed it.
Katya
I just finished this book, and the description on the back was right. Like a combination of Redeeming Love and Janette Oke's prairie style. But I truly did love it.
Donna
Reading for Book Club - I enjoyed the characters and plot of this book. Story line is predictable, but I enjoyed reading it.
April
This trilogy was a gritty look at how Christ stands with open arms when we're ready, no matter what our background may be.
Amy
an awesome book. I could not put it down. God works in mysterious ways!

(has adult topics would not recommend to anyone <16)
SheLove2Read
I thought this was good but not great. Reviews on other sites likened this to Francine Rivers but I think not.
Lupe
This was a quick read but it reminded me a lot of "Love Comes Softly." I felt like I had already read it.
  • Montana Rose (Montana Marriages, #1)
  • Bittersweet (California Historical Series, #2)
  • In His Arms (Coming to America #3)
  • A Passion Redeemed (Daughters of Boston, #2)
  • The Bride Backfire (Prairie Promises, #2)
  • The Swiss Courier
  • Wind Dancer
  • Beyond This Moment (Timber Ridge Reflections, #2)
  • Leather and Lace (Texas Legacy #1)
  • Sweet Boundless (The Diamond of the Rockies #2)
  • Two Brides Too Many (The Sinclair Sisters of Cripple Creek, #1)
  • How Do I Love Thee? (Ladies of History #4)
  • Courting Miss Amsel (Heart of the Prairie #6)
  • The Bachelor's Bargain (Miss Pickworth Series #2)
  • Sing (The Homeward Trilogy, #2)
  • The Blue Enchantress (Charles Towne Belles, #2)
  • Before the Season Ends
  • To Love Anew (Sydney Cove, #1)
Allison Pittman is the author of For Time and Eternity, Stealing Home, the Crossroads of Grace series, and her nonfiction debut, Saturdays With Stella. A high-school English teacher, she serves as director of the theater arts group at her church. She is also the co-president of a dynamic Christian writers group in the San Antonio, Texas area, where she makes her home with her husband and their thr ...more
More about Allison Pittman...
For Time & Eternity (Sister Wife #1) Forsaking All Others (Sister Wife #2) All for a Song Speak Through the Wind (Crossroads of Grace #2) With Endless Sight (Crossroads of Grace #3)