Start by marking “The Dead” as Want to Read:
The Dead

The Dead

A terrible judge comes like a thief in the night. While the world sleeps, everything changes. In the diseased light of a festering sun, planes drop from the sky, machines sputter and stop, and the graves of the shrieking damned burst open. Angels from hell clothe themselves in the flesh of corpses to form an unholy army.

Dreaming of his father hammering his way out of a co
Published February 1st 2000 by Infinity Publishing (PA)

To ask other readers questions about The Dead, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Dead

Todd Kelley
Dec 07, 2008 Todd Kelley rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Those with an interest in religious dogma injected into a zombie scenario
Lisa Decesare
Apr 02, 2008 Lisa Decesare rated it it was ok
I will say this, the premise of the book is an original and fun concept. Supposedly the end of days have come and the demons that are attacking those left behind take the form of zombies.

I like zombie lit and this was a different twist on a tired story.

Sadly, the book was not edited at all. Words ran together and the spelling and punctuation definitely needed help. It was also very heavy handed where religion was concerned.

But, it wasn't a total loss, the story was interesting. I read it all t
Jason Bradley Thompson
Feb 07, 2014 Jason Bradley Thompson rated it it was amazing
A combination of Biblical/Raptural apocalypse and zombie horror, this is a really good read that, unlike many Christian eschatological novels (such as the unreadable "Left Behind" series), can even engage non-Christian readers such as myself. Mark E. Rogers keeps the action moving along at just the right pace, from the first slow hints that something might not be right with the world -- the dreams of Last Judgment, the mysterious disappearances -- to the sudden eruption from graveyards and funer ...more
Thee_ron_clark
Dec 11, 2007 Thee_ron_clark rated it liked it
Recommends it for: fans of the zombie genre and those interested in the Christian religion
Shelves: zombies
The Dead takes an interesting spin on religion and the rapture. As opposed to how some might translate the Book of Revelation from the Bible, this novel adds an interesting twist. Those left behind are hunted and tortured by demonic zombies. Pretty decent read if you don't mind a bit of religion thrown into your horror novels.
Jared
Oct 27, 2014 Jared rated it it was ok
A zombie novel that's obscurely splattered with more religious references than guts. The characters are always fighting over something: whether or not God is merciful, whether or not one survivor or the other is going to hell... a whole bunch of nonsense, especially when there are more rational things to think about when the apocalypse comes. It didn't help, either, that the author is pretty sexist. The women are literally pushed to the side the entire time, and are only referred to as "crazy bi ...more
Natasa
Jan 02, 2013 Natasa rated it really liked it
Really enjoyed this book!
Ryne Barber
Dec 09, 2009 Ryne Barber rated it liked it
The Dead is a simple title, but one that does not mimic the complexity of the story within. Rogers' 1989 novel has been reprinted by Permuted Press in a tome containing over 30 original illustrations by the author. Rogers has managed to work in zombies with an intricate religious plot that hinges on sinning and repentance.

We are introduced to Gary, an atheist who begins the story with strange dreams about his father's death that come true. Disappearances, strange mechanical failures, and shared
Richard Kearney
Jul 03, 2011 Richard Kearney rated it liked it
For those who like a good dose of theological disputation with their zombie fiction, Mark E. Rogers' novel The Dead may be just the ticket. I was originally motivated to pick this novel up because Rogers, who spent his high school years in Point Pleasant Beach, sets the action in the fictional town of Bayside Point, situated on a peninsula on the Jersey Shore. As it turns out a good deal of the plot involves a group of survivors attempting to overcome the problem of escaping from such a location ...more
Brainycat
Jun 10, 2010 Brainycat rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of apocrypha and eschatology
This is a well written story of the christian apocalypse that takes place shortly before rapture and over the next few days. Personally, I like antiheroic points of view so the pro-christian dogma felt a little heavy handed at times, but it was an enjoyable read nonetheless.

The focus is on the interplay behind a handful of friends and family who find themselves together at the family patriarch's funeral when all hell literally breaks loose. The characters each represent a point of view about fai
Patrick D'Orazio
Nov 05, 2010 Patrick D'Orazio rated it really liked it
I am a big fan of zombie fiction. I have read most of what Amazon has to offer and will continue to seek out more as more product is produced. After reading some of the reviews of this book, I was pretty prepared to be disappointed in this novel as a real diversion from standard zombie fiction that gets preachy and rather annoying. I was happily mistaken in that presumption.

Certainly, this book utilizes christianity as a background with which to play with. The dead here are angry, vicious, damn
Ingame149
Sep 28, 2013 Ingame149 rated it really liked it
The Dead by Mark Rogers.

First off yes this is a Christian themed book with zombies in it. I know, I was amazed with the blending of two genres as I read the book and they blend seamlessly together.

Mark Rogers is a devote Catholic so there is a lot more spirituality and discussions on faith than you're going to find in other books along with enough swearing to give this book a firm grounding in reality. One of good thing Rogers is very good at is presenting both sides of an argument, so when tw
D.M. Dutcher
Feb 05, 2012 D.M. Dutcher rated it it was ok
Shelves: christian, horror
Mitchell Sayre
Oct 07, 2014 Mitchell Sayre rated it really liked it
First off, I quite enjoyed this book. It's interesting to see an author try to tackle the subject of the biblical apocalypse. It's also a book, due to the subject matter, that requires its characters to be less than likeable. They are the "sinners" left behind to deal with the fallout. It becomes a story of redemption for some and a story of completing the journey to hell for others. It's a quick read and good story that might make you consider things a little bit. Worth a look.
Hilary
Jun 14, 2009 Hilary rated it did not like it
This was more a Christian book than a Zombie book, and shouldn't be marketed to the Zombie crowd. To get through this book you have to be very familiar with scripture. In addition to the Christian aspect, which didn't fly with me, the book was also, I suspect, self-published, and not very well edited. There were numerous typos on every page, and the formatting was distracting and difficult to read. The dialogue was cliched and flat, and worst of all, the very first chapter has an alarm clock end ...more
Brian Holder
Sep 12, 2014 Brian Holder rated it it was ok
Shelves: post-apocalyptic
While the story was moderately enjoyable I did find the secondary characters rather flimsy and two-dimensional, especially the non-believers. That the book was proselytizing was rather apparent but making the secondary atheist character out to be morally empty tempter for Gary and to use him as a representative of atheists in general I found to be rather dismissive, but that is the attitude taken with all non-devout Catholics. For a believer this is probably a non-issue, and I admit that the sto ...more
Matt
Mar 15, 2013 Matt rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ebooks
It was an alright story, but went too heavily on the religion stuff. Spent lots of time breaking from action so the characters could have more religion discussion. It was boring after a while especially when they're running for their lives and just stop to have another religion discussion. Also not really a fan of the demon possessed zombies especially ones that were almost super powered. I've seen the possessed zombie thing done before and had it done much better then in this story.

Overall an o
janie love
yea
Marc
Jun 28, 2011 Marc rated it really liked it
I've read many a novel about zombie/zombie-like apocalypses, but this is the only one that actually unnerved me the way a horror book should. The rest are just dark, fun, suspenseful romps compared to this novel. Published in 1989, "The Dead" predates both the "Left Behind" series and the current zombie craze. It is very well written and illustrated, a page-turner that I ate at one sitting. Get the novel. Read it. Know your zombie apocalypse like you've never known it before.
Garrett
This is a good zombie read. I felt it tended to drag at times, but Rogers knows how to create a scene and is able to come up with new and interesting ways for people to be overwhelmed by zombies. I especially enjoyed the theological discussions interspersed throughout the story. I felt like I was reading Dante's Inferno, quite enjoyable. If you like zombies and wonder if God could ever use zombies as a means by which to bring about the apocalypse, do not pass up this book.
Stout
Aug 16, 2013 Stout rated it liked it
This is a decent book with some well-drawn illustrations and interesting characters. The story was unique in comparison to other books in the genre and overall it was a good read. There were times when the story did not keep me engaged and this was a book that I put down many times before finally finishing it. I would recommend it to fans of zombie literature looking for something a bit different.
Allan
Aug 30, 2011 Allan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have always like the line "When hell is full the dead will walk the earth". This book deals a lot with religion and the end of times. I do like the notion of trying to understand what armegeddon must be like. The good people go to heaven, the dead live and beware if you are on the new earth. Hell is indeed a issue. can you be saved? Doubtful, but one fine read following some of the left behind.
Vernon Early
The idea for The Dead was new, but I found it disappointing. I can see where a lot of people will really like it, it's just not my cup of tea. Way too much pointless dialog that drags on.
Jeannie R
Jun 03, 2010 Jeannie R rated it it was amazing
The Dead is hands down the best Zombie story I've ever come across ( and that's saying a lot)! This book is hilarious & terrifying as well as original & thought provoking. I've honestly read it 5 times and like it better with each reading. READ THIS BOOK!!!
Felicia A
I keep trying! I love zombie books with a passion, but this one has been hard to get through. Most of them I can read in a day, but I have had this book for months and keep pulling it out and then returning it to the bottom of the pile....
Malik Tous
Jun 16, 2010 Malik Tous rated it it was amazing
The best zombie book ever. Not very well known, but a lot of other people have ripped it off. Very scary and intelligent. Some might be put off by the theological stuff, but I ate it up.
Leanne
Feb 06, 2010 Leanne added it
This is a good book if you enjoy end of the world kind of stuff. A cross between zombie and Revelations end of the world. An interesting view.
Frances Braddy
Jan 19, 2013 Frances Braddy rated it it was amazing
i have read many times trying grasp the religious aspects, its horrifying, gave me nightmares and this if anything is how i picture it would be.
Shawn
Dec 07, 2013 Shawn rated it it was amazing
I have no idea why but this is the scariest book I have ever read. but I do have to say it was the worst edited book I have ever read
Joseph Barnes
Aug 16, 2011 Joseph Barnes rated it it was amazing
Good book. Gritty with the supernatural world undertone. I would read more of this kind of book. Loved the ending!
Melissa
Oct 21, 2012 Melissa rated it liked it
4 stars for the gore and horror. 2 stars for the unfinished Christian subtext and unsatisfying ending.
  • The Undead Situation (Undead, #1)
  • The World Is Dead: A Zombie Anthology
  • Grey Dogs
  • New Zed Order: Survive
  • Down the Road: On the Last Day
  • Eden
  • Apocalypse End (Reign of the Dead #2)
  • Empire: A Zombie Novel
  • Wet Work
  • Lakewood Memorial
  • The Last Mailman: Neither Rain, Nor Sleet, Nor Zombies
  • Comes the Dark (The Dark Trilogy #1)