Start by marking “The Autobiography of F.B.I. Special Agent Dale Cooper: My Life, My Tapes” as Want to Read:
The Autobiography of F.B.I. Special Agent Dale Cooper: My Life, My Tapes

The Autobiography of F.B.I. Special Agent Dale Cooper: My Life, My Tapes

3.82  ·  Rating Details  ·  866 Ratings  ·  66 Reviews
Former Eagle Scout and lifetime audio freak Dale Cooper brings us his autobiography, culled from his private collection of personal tape recordings beginning with his thirteenth birthday. Discover the secrets, never before seen on television, of Twin Peaks' most-wanted man, who scored a perfect 100 on his marksmanship test and once let a gentle, beautiful woman lead him as ...more
Published 1991 by Pan Macmillan Australia

Be the first to ask a question about The Autobiography of F.B.I. Special Agent Dale Cooper

The Secret Diary of Laura Palmer by Jennifer  LynchThe Autobiography of F.B.I. Special Agent Dale Cooper by Scott FrostThe Secret History of Twin Peaks by Mark FrostLynch on Lynch by David LynchCatching the Big Fish by David Lynch
TWIN PEAKS ^◊^
2nd out of 14 books — 7 voters
Harry Potter Boxset by J.K. RowlingReady Player One by Ernest ClineThe Help by Kathryn StockettBossypants by Tina FeyThe Martian by Andy Weir
Best Audiobooks Ever
387th out of 959 books — 1,455 voters

More lists with this book...

Lavinia
May 19, 2010 Lavinia rated it really liked it
Reading an interview with Kyle MacLachlan recently, I remembered about this book and the Twin Peaks series I used to watch with my whole family on Saturday nights, eating home-made pizza. And I didn't mind cleaning the table because I imagined I was Shelly, the cute waitress. :)

As for the book, as far as I remember, focuses on Dale Cooper's life before he arrives in Twin Peaks, where the TV series begins. I guess the 90's weren't so bad after all! :))
Jess ❈Harbinger of Blood-Soaked Rainbows❈
My birthday is in NOVEMBER! That's only a little over 2 months away!! Who LOVES ME?

Bryce Wilson
Jan 28, 2008 Bryce Wilson rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Peaks Freaks none other need apply
Shelves: misc
Diane I have just finished reading My Life My Tapes The Autobiography of FBI Special Agent Dale Cooper.

As a rule I don't read EU fiction as I see it as a silly waste of time at best, and corpse raping at the worst (I'm looking at you spawn of Herbert). However, as I am a Twin Peaks superfan, the book was only 200 pages long, and it cost me a grand total of 25 cents at the garage sale I bought it at, I figured there wasn't a whole lot to lose.

Over all it was a pleasant experience and went well
Sean Kennedy
The last addition to the Twin Peaks book universe is more successful at capturing the voice of the series than The Secret Diary of Laura Palmer, although it also takes a lot of liberties with the condensing of time like the former (instead of pages being ripped out, certain tapes have gone 'missing').

It will still hold interest for Twin Peaks fans, eager to have anything to do with the small town, and there are times when Frost pretty much nails the voice of Agent Cooper. There are also a few sc
Janice
Oct 31, 2013 Janice rated it really liked it
A lot of movie/t.v. tie-in novels are quick bids to cash in on a trend. This book doesn't feel like one of them. That's probably because it was written by Scott Frost, an actual writer for the "Twin Peaks" series.
The Autobiography follows Dale Cooper from the age of 13, when he gets his first reel-to-reel tape recorder through the time he gets called to Twin Peaks. We see the cultural events of the sixties and seventies and how they effect Dale's life. Plus, we gain insight into how he was raise
Yfke
Jul 27, 2015 Yfke rated it it was amazing
Funny, moving, disturbing - this book was even better than I expected. If you're a fan of Dale Cooper, you'll probably love him even more after this.
Matt
Aug 14, 2014 Matt rated it liked it
Jordan West
Feb 14, 2013 Jordan West rated it really liked it
Shelves: library, read-in-2013
Surprisingly entertaining and well-written, although will probably only be of interest to Twin Peaks nerds like myself. Written by the brother of show co-creator Mark Frost, this prequel is rich in detail, and provides a backstory that ties in superbly with the overarching TP mythos, and suggests that the occupants of the Black Lodge have been interested in and influencing Cooper's life long before he ever came to that little town in Washington.
Michele
Apr 01, 2014 Michele rated it liked it
Spent my spring break alternating between reading books and watching the cult-hit TV show Twin Peaks (which is currently available on netflix).... the show solidified my belief in David Lynch's genius (watching Dune, also starring Kyle MacLachlan, had already made me a believer), especially with the creation of the character of FBI Special Agent Dale Cooper.

To my delight, my SO surprised me with this book that he dug up in his boxes of books before I had to return to school. A fun, quick read of
Jeffrey Bumiller
Apr 21, 2010 Jeffrey Bumiller rated it it was amazing
Obviously, this is required reading for any Twin Peaks fan! You gain all kinds of insight into Coop's life prior to his arrival in Twin Peaks. Find out all about his early encounters with Windham Earl, Diane, Gordon Cole, etc. Also, you get to witness that first sip of damn good coffee! This book is so cool!
Keith Davis
Like the series it was based on, this book is by turns funny and dark. Scott Frost was a writer on the second season of Twin Peaks and he nails the voice of Agent Cooper. The format is transcriptions of his self-narration dictated by way of his hand-held tape recorder to his possibly imaginary secretary Diane. Among the revelations of Cooper's past is that at age 13 he crawled through an air duct at school in order to tape record a girl's health class and then wrote to FBI Director J. Edgar Hoov ...more
Moira
Apr 05, 2013 Moira rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviewed
This book is the transcription of the tape recordings of Dale Cooper from the age of 13, when he got his first recorder, 'til the day he gets the case of Laura Palmer's Murder in Twin Peaks (at 34).
The last two chapters of the book cover the investigation of Teresa Banks' murder mentioned in the film, Fire Walk With Me.
After reading The Secret Diary of Laura Palmer, I couldn't wait to get my hands on this. I actually found they were interestingly complementary reads, like two faces of the same c
Megan
May 02, 2013 Megan rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: bookhouse boys & cherry girls

9 P.M.

Counted eighty-three stars in the sky before they began jumping around and hiding behind the moon. Three more hours and I will have proven that sleep is not necessary to a complete and balanced way of life as long as all the closets are locked...

Just like The Secret Diary of Laura Palmer, I enjoyed this simply because I'm a fan. For anyone not acquainted with my favorite Special Agent, the lines may seem too blunt, clipped or random; all I see is a young Kyle MacLachlan in a snappy suit
Sun
Jan 25, 2009 Sun rated it liked it
Shelves: bookaweek2009
Dale Cooper is the clean, handsome and odd FBI agent from the cult TV series Twin Peaks. In his 'autobiography', penned by Scott Frost, brother of series co-creator Mark Frost, Cooper's life is laid out as a series of audio recordings. It all begins Christmas 1967 when, aged 13, Dale receives a bulky tape recorder from his father. A series of hilarious episodes through adolescence follows, reminiscent of early Adrian Mole.

Having just watched all 29 episodes of Twin Peaks in a marathon sitting,
Craig
May 14, 2016 Craig rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
I remember not loving this when I first read it towards the end of Season 2. Cooper didn't "sound right," yada yada. I am glad I've gone back and revisited this and FWWM. There is certainly enough here that warrants this re-read in preparation for Season 3.

The reason I'm not giving it five stars is that anyone with no vested interest in the show would probably find this disconnected and meandering.
Rhonda
Apr 12, 2014 Rhonda rated it really liked it
For the *Twin Peaks* devotee only. That said, I really did feel like the text was about Dale Cooper, as opposed to trying to push along the storyline or reveal something in addition to the series. I thought Frost Caught Coop's voice pretty well throughout, better than *The Secret Diary of Laura Palmer.* Should out to Jessica Stanley who found it.
Luke
Feb 25, 2012 Luke rated it really liked it
This is a far better Twin Peaks tie in than the patchy Secret Diary of Laura Palmer. While the latter never really convinced the reader of its association with its in-show character, The Autobiography of FBI Special Agent Dale Cooper cannot be read without hearing Dale's dictaphone voice.

There's really not much interest here for anyone who's not a fan of the Twin Peaks show. It probably doesn't stand on its own very well for the uninitiated - but for fans it provides a charming amount of depth
Jur
Oct 30, 2014 Jur rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own
With the return of Twin Peaks to the screen I could help picking this one off the shelf. Ranging from the weird to the hilarious. How can we not be interested in how Dale Cooper came to find his strong mental powers, when he first discovered coffee and pie, the letter he received from J. Edgar Hoover, how he lost his cherry or how he met Windom Earle?

Some of the stuff on the Teresa Banks murder conflicts with what happens in Fire Walk With Me, but small beef.

Liz
Dec 14, 2015 Liz rated it it was amazing
A really interesting look at the history of "Twin Peaks'" Special Agent Dale Cooper--and surprisingly true in tone to the quirky FBI agent portrayed by Kyle Maclachlan.

I especially liked the snippets of insight into canon characters--Dennis Byrson, Gordon Cole, and Albert Rosenfield. And of course Diane. I would have to say that the only downside would be not seeing more of their interactions with Coop.

Also pie and coffee feature quite prominently.

The story begins with 13-yr-old Dale receiving
Phyllis
Aug 19, 2012 Phyllis rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this TWIN PEAKS tie-in novel a lot more than the better-known Secret Diary of Laura Palmer. Scott Frost does such a good job of capturing Dale Cooper's voice that you can almost imagine him hunt and pecking his way through this collection of transcripts from his tapes (yeah, I know, he totally would have made Diane do the transcribing but it's still a fun image). I was a little shocked by all the unbridled Agent Cooper sensuality, especially in his teen and college years, but despite m ...more
Amy
Mar 01, 2012 Amy added it
Shelves: ad-mystery, 2012
My current Twin Peaks obsession continues with the reading of this book! My impression of books that are TV show tie-ins is that they're generally pretty crappy, but I liked this one a lot. The author does a great job of nailing Cooper's voice, which means that there's a lot of humor resulting from his dry, analytical analysis of EVERYTHING. I especially love the way he describes his really bizarre dreams. The book starts when Cooper is 13, so we get a lot of his back story, but it ends right wh ...more
Paul
Oct 28, 2015 Paul rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2015
Review written: sometime before April 18, 2015

The Autobiography of FBI Special Agent Dale Cooper by Scott Frost

Why I read it: I was in a Twin Peaks mood, though not enough of one to try coffee.

Rating: 4/5

What I thought: Skilfully transcending its origins and potential fate to reveal a very real beating heart of its very own, this book might have gotten me to like Coop a little less (he was younger then though, so I've more or less let it go) but together with Secret Diary I really feel that this
Rob Hermanowski
Feb 15, 2015 Rob Hermanowski rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: twin-peaks
Finally got to read this book, published nearly 25 years ago as a tie-in to the Twin Peaks TV series, and written by co-producer Mark Frost's brother Scott Frost. It is a surprisingly insightful look at the early life and career of FBI Special Agent Dale Cooper, leading up to his fateful appearance in a certain small town in Washington. Having just re-watched the entire series and prequel film on the recently released spectacular Blu-ray set, I am reading (or re-reading) the Twin Peaks related b ...more
Kerry
May 10, 2014 Kerry rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
He's one of the greatest characters ever created for TV so of course I like this book and the insight of the person Dale is before Twin Peaks takes place. That show is my life...
Alycia
Jan 03, 2015 Alycia rated it it was amazing
Oh young Dale Cooper from Germantown. A must read for any Twin Peaks fan.
Ingrid
May 26, 2015 Ingrid rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I recommend this book for every Twin Peaks fans.
Emma
Aug 19, 2014 Emma rated it it was amazing
Every Twin Peaks fan has to read this!
Carina
Apr 20, 2016 Carina rated it it was amazing
This had me laughing out loud quite a bit. I think it's a beautiful characterization of an amazingly lovable character. I would very much recommend it for Twin Peaks fans.
Kerry Connelly
Aug 03, 2015 Kerry Connelly rated it really liked it
I LOVED this book!!!
My friend got me into twin peaks the show a few years back (on dvd of course)
I didn't mind the show (I'd give it 3 stars out of 5) am I loved the character of Dale Cooper. Awesome character and loved this book about his life before finding Laura Palmer wrapped in plastic in twin peaks. gives you more insight into the character of Dale Cooper.
awesome read even if you're not a hard core Twin Peaks fan.

Want to read it again...trying to find where to buy it.
Melanie
Aug 07, 2007 Melanie rated it really liked it
If you read The Secret Diary of Laura Palmer you should read this as well, though it's not full of teenage romps and coke parties. I urge all fans of Special Agent Dale Cooper to read this! It provides back stories to Cooper's early training with the FBI and his dangerous obsession with Special Agend Windom Earl. It ends with Cooper on his way to Twin Peaks to solve the murder of Laura Palmer.
Anyone want to sell me a copy??? 1 6 Jan 26, 2013 10:58PM
  • Lords of the Storm
  • The Prisoner
  • Personal Agendas
  • Doctor Who: Zeta Major
  • Teen Dreams: Reading Teen Film and Television from 'Heathers' to 'Veronica Mars'
  • Doctor Who: Managra
  • Doctor Who: Synthespians™
  • Doctor Who: Ghost Light
  • Doctor Who: Iceberg
  • Almost Perfect (Torchwood, #9)
171931
Scott Frost is an American screen writer and novelist. He is the son of actor Warren Frost and the brother of Mark Frost and actress Lindsay Frost. He worked with his brother and David Lynch on the Twin Peaks television series, writing two episodes. Among others, he has also written episodes of Babylon 5 and Andromeda. In the early 1990s, he wrote the script for the mystery/thriller TV movie Past ...more
More about Scott Frost...

“The past should remain firmly behind one. The present holds enough obstacles.” 3 likes
“I am sure of nothing except that to believe you know where you are headed is not to understand where one is at the moment.” 1 likes