Start by marking “Four Archetypes ” as Want to Read:
Four Archetypes

Four Archetypes

4.0 of 5 stars 4.00  ·  rating details  ·  415 ratings  ·  19 reviews
The concept of the archetype is crucial to Jung's radical interpretation of the human mind. Jung believed that every person partakes of a universal or collective unconscious that persists through generations. The origins of the concept can be traced to his very first publication in 1902 and it remained central to his thought throughout his life. As well as explaining the t ...more
Paperback, 1st edition Routledge Classics, 201 pages
Published 2004 by Routledge (first published 1970)

To ask other readers questions about Four Archetypes, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Four Archetypes

Glenn Russell
Other reviewers have made general statements about the four archetypes -- Mother, Rebirth, Spirit, Trickster - covered in this volume of C.G. Jung's work. For the purpose of this review and as a way of conveying the richness of Jung's archetypes, I will focus on one specific aspect of the Rebirth archetype: Enlargement of Personality.

Jung begins this section with the sentence, "The personality is seldom, in the beginning, what it will be later on." Thus, a kind of metamorphosis is at the very co
Aaron
Four selections from across Jung's collected works. These are the standard Hull translation lifted wholesale from other editions. The archetypes covered at: the mother; rebirth; the spirit; the trickster.

There is not important or even necessary connection between the selections in this book. If I remember they were all taken from different publications and the only thing they have in common is that they are all chapters (or partial chapters) on archetypes. Jung certainly wrote in depth about mo
Karen Floyd
Was hoping to find "On the Interpretation of Dreams" since I am thoroughly tired of my repetitive ones and thought that might be helpful. But this was all the Jung in the St. Andrew's library, which is where I was last night. Read the Mother Archetype last night, and was rather disappointed since I'd hoped for more explanation and interpretation than results of bad mothering. And, of course, I could instantly see myself in some of the Bad Mother examples he gave!
Not an easy read as the book was
Betül YILMAZ
Jung ve Borges bir akşam yemeği yeseydi de ben de onlara bir tepsi baklava ikram etseydim yan masadan diye düşündüm kitabı okurken. Kitabın içeriği bir yana, bir insanı tanıyor olmak, jung'un zihninde dolaşmak hayli mitolojik bir yolculuk. Zihninizde medeniyet tarihini canlandırırken, diğer yandan psikoloji odağını kaybetmeyen Jung, onca kavram ve anlatının sonuna vurucu bir ben, bilinçdışı, üstben, persona, gölge çıkarımı koyuyor. Bu kavramları netleştirmeden okunabilir ancak, analitik psikoloj ...more
Claire Bogan
Jul 14, 2008 Claire Bogan is currently reading it
I read half of this book one day in the library, digressing from a research paper that I was supposed to be writing. The Four Archetypes, having nothing to do with my research topic, endeared me to Jung immensely and inspired me to incorporate some of his more relevant philosophies as sources in my final paper. I am rereading it in full with particular interest in the section on rebirth.
Deepa
Jul 11, 2011 Deepa added it
Still reading..Jung's deep analysis of the mother archetype is simply amazing..rebirth is even more wonderful..hmmm these books are specially written for gnostics...simply simply amazing..they hold out life's meaning for you..only if you are willing to look deep.
Bridgett
This book was a collection of essays for four archetypes: the Mother, Rebirth, the Spirit in Fairy Tales, and the Trickster. The reading could be a bit dry, but I love Carl Jung and found the essays insightful.
Ernie Dawson
This is a terribly difficult read. Too much Greek and Latin. The last half of the book was nearly useless. The first half wasn't too bad and teaches things which relate to man which LDS authors often neglect.
David
A fascinating, insightful glimpse into the human psyche.
Albert
One of my favorites although it is not really that comprehensive. I just think it's entertaining light reading because you just read one of the articles at a time. I don't know if I'd recommend it really, as I feel it's slender and not as representative somehow, but maybe I should change my mind on that. I love it. I read the trickster article frequently.
Oliver Ho
I read this mainly for the essay on the trickster, and as a bit of a refresher on Jung because it had been a long time since I'd read a selection of his work. Unfortunately, this collection was far too dated, dense and dry (alliteration!) to enjoy or even to offer more than a passing interest.
Duygu Ece
Even though my psychology background is enough, I find this book badly hard to read. While picking up this slim volume I was hoping to find something useful like introduction to archetypal pedagogy; but there are no sufficient examples and even no mention to certain important archetypes.

Jung himself says while thera are limitless archetypes, many different types may overlap& combine at any given time. I am too, upset with the irrelevant selection of these four.

Nevertheless amazed by the cult
Huyen
Errr... I must say this is a very heavy read I did finish the book but couldn't retain much. As a polymath in mythology, psychology, religion and philosophy, Jung offers an (insanely difficult?) exciting and novel analysis of the fundamental unconscious foundation that we as human beings all share. They are: mother, rebirth, spirit and trickster. Surveying their role in myth, fairytale and scripture, Jung challenges the way we perceive ourselves. However, if you fall asleep when reading this bo ...more
Khenpo Gurudas
Quite disappointing. Because the text is largely comprised of sections of other, more exhaustive works, there is a continuity missing. There is little in the way of insightful explanation of archetypal pedagogy.

These four archetypes, and much of the text for that matter, seem to have been selected as a bit of intended marketing to new age types, rather than for those serious students of psychology.
K
Although I like Jungian psychoanalysis, I just don't care for the style this was written in. I am sure it is because my background isn't in science, but literature.
Matt
I only read the Trickster one. Jung was a mentalist. And I think much if what he claims about trickster is plain wrong. But still, food for thought.
Lorena
badly organised, incoherent - would benefit from editor's notes & preface.
Jon Ungerland
Jul 30, 2007 Jon Ungerland rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: essential
great insight into four of the most important aspects of jung's theory.
Brian Ervin
Lead me into an entire series of archetype writings.
Lia
Lia marked it as to-read
Mar 03, 2015
Megan
Megan marked it as to-read
Mar 01, 2015
Michael Bryant
Michael Bryant is currently reading it
Feb 25, 2015
Anthony
Anthony marked it as to-read
Feb 22, 2015
Alys
Alys added it
Sky Feather
Sky Feather marked it as to-read
Katryna
Katryna marked it as to-read
Jamaal Harmon
Jamaal Harmon marked it as to-read
Feb 16, 2015
Beverley Smith
Beverley Smith marked it as to-read
Feb 15, 2015
  • The Middle Passage: From Misery to Meaning in Midlife (Studies in Jungian Psychology by Jungian Analysts, 59)
  • The Feminine in Fairy Tales
  • The Sacred Prostitute: Eternal Aspect of the Feminine (Studies in Jungian Psychology by Jungian Analysts, 32)
  • Ego and Archetype: Individuation and the Religious Function of the Psyche
  • The Pregnant Virgin: A Process of Psychological Transformation (Studies in Jungian Psychology By Jungian Analysts, 21)
  • The Origins and History of Consciousness
  • Awakening the Heroes Within: Twelve Archetypes to Help Us Find Ourselves and Transform Our World
  • The Doctor and the Soul: From Psychotherapy to Logotherapy
  • Jung's Map of the Soul: An Introduction
  • The Book of Symbols: Reflections on Archetypal Images
  • The Freud/Jung Letters
  • From Girl to Goddess: The Heroine's Journey Through Myth and Legend
Carl Gustav Jung (/jʊŋ/; German: [ˈkarl ˈɡʊstaf jʊŋ]; 26 July 1875 – 6 June 1961), often referred to as C. G. Jung, was a Swiss psychiatrist and psychotherapist who founded analytical psychology. Jung proposed and developed the concepts of extraversion and introversion; archetypes, and the collective unconscious. His work has been influential in psychiatry and in the study of religion, philosophy, ...more
More about C.G. Jung...
Memories, Dreams, Reflections Man and His Symbols The Undiscovered Self Modern Man in Search of a Soul The Archetypes and the Collective Unconscious (Collected Works 9i)