Start by marking “Four Archetypes ” as Want to Read:
Four Archetypes

Four Archetypes

4.02  ·  Rating Details  ·  518 Ratings  ·  26 Reviews
The concept of the archetype is crucial to Jung's radical interpretation of the human mind. Jung believed that every person partakes of a universal or collective unconscious that persists through generations. The origins of the concept can be traced to his very first publication in 1902 and it remained central to his thought throughout his life. As well as explaining the t ...more
Paperback, 1st edition Routledge Classics, 201 pages
Published 2004 by Routledge (first published 1970)

To ask other readers questions about Four Archetypes, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Four Archetypes

Glenn Russell
Sep 24, 2015 Glenn Russell rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

Other reviewers have made general statements about the four archetypes -- Mother, Rebirth, Spirit, Trickster - covered in this volume of C.G. Jung's work. For the purpose of this review and as a way of conveying the richness of Jung's archetypes, I will focus on one specific aspect of the Rebirth archetype: Enlargement of Personality.

Jung begins this section with the sentence, "The personality is seldom, in the beginning, what it will be later on." Thus, a kind of metamorphosis is at the very co
Aaron
Four selections from across Jung's collected works. These are the standard Hull translation lifted wholesale from other editions. The archetypes covered at: the mother; rebirth; the spirit; the trickster.

There is not important or even necessary connection between the selections in this book. If I remember they were all taken from different publications and the only thing they have in common is that they are all chapters (or partial chapters) on archetypes. Jung certainly wrote in depth about mo
Karen Floyd
Jan 24, 2010 Karen Floyd rated it really liked it
Was hoping to find "On the Interpretation of Dreams" since I am thoroughly tired of my repetitive ones and thought that might be helpful. But this was all the Jung in the St. Andrew's library, which is where I was last night. Read the Mother Archetype last night, and was rather disappointed since I'd hoped for more explanation and interpretation than results of bad mothering. And, of course, I could instantly see myself in some of the Bad Mother examples he gave!
Not an easy read as the book was
Ahmed Hamad
Aug 01, 2015 Ahmed Hamad rated it it was amazing
This book, like the other writings of Carl G. Jung, is a great gift to mankind. It can provide insight to any reader who wishes to explore the realm of the commonly unseen, yet still exists, and can be felt at a time or another somewhere deep inside your soul. I think I have read this book three or four times now, but every time I open it, the impact it has on me is again immense. There is an infinite number of reflective "ideas" that can arise based on the contents of the book, perhaps because ...more
Betül YILMAZ
Feb 26, 2014 Betül YILMAZ rated it really liked it
Jung ve Borges bir akşam yemeği yeseydi de ben de onlara bir tepsi baklava ikram etseydim yan masadan diye düşündüm kitabı okurken. Kitabın içeriği bir yana, bir insanı tanıyor olmak, jung'un zihninde dolaşmak hayli mitolojik bir yolculuk. Zihninizde medeniyet tarihini canlandırırken, diğer yandan psikoloji odağını kaybetmeyen Jung, onca kavram ve anlatının sonuna vurucu bir ben, bilinçdışı, üstben, persona, gölge çıkarımı koyuyor. Bu kavramları netleştirmeden okunabilir ancak, analitik psikoloj ...more
Sema
Sep 21, 2015 Sema rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
modern dünya insanı nasıl bir "hilebaz figürüne" dönüştürür? bu son makaleyi okuduğumda kafamda tolstoy'un vatanseverlik için yaptığı açıklama çınladı birden: "vatanseverlik katillerin eğilimlerini tatmin edecek bir prensip sağlar."
modern dünya bizi ışte tam da bu yüzden bir "hilebaz figürüne" dönüştürür.
Claire Bogan
Jul 14, 2008 Claire Bogan is currently reading it
I read half of this book one day in the library, digressing from a research paper that I was supposed to be writing. The Four Archetypes, having nothing to do with my research topic, endeared me to Jung immensely and inspired me to incorporate some of his more relevant philosophies as sources in my final paper. I am rereading it in full with particular interest in the section on rebirth.
Deepa
Jul 11, 2011 Deepa added it
Still reading..Jung's deep analysis of the mother archetype is simply amazing..rebirth is even more wonderful..hmmm these books are specially written for gnostics...simply simply amazing..they hold out life's meaning for you..only if you are willing to look deep.
Bridgett
Feb 02, 2011 Bridgett rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: psychology
This book was a collection of essays for four archetypes: the Mother, Rebirth, the Spirit in Fairy Tales, and the Trickster. The reading could be a bit dry, but I love Carl Jung and found the essays insightful.
Ernie Dawson
Oct 24, 2010 Ernie Dawson rated it liked it
This is a terribly difficult read. Too much Greek and Latin. The last half of the book was nearly useless. The first half wasn't too bad and teaches things which relate to man which LDS authors often neglect.
Maica
Oct 10, 2015 Maica rated it it was amazing
Shelves: psychology, cg-jung
In order to understand the archetypes according to Jung's analytical theory, the motifs, the symbolism and interpretation, a person should have at least a background on folklore and literature. This is a characteristic of Jung's approach that seemed antagonistic to scientific empiricism. Nonetheless, interesting insights - this book made me understand more the Analytical theory of Jung at a conceptual level. Read this book years ago but I still remember my impressions of it as soon as I saw the ...more
David
Aug 09, 2013 David rated it it was amazing
Shelves: depth-psychology
A fascinating, insightful glimpse into the human psyche.
Anna Deniz
Jung okumanin sinirlari genisleten, zihni acan ve olaylara-olgulara farkli acilardan bakmayi saglayan bir eylem oldugu kanisindayim. Bu baglamda Jung'in makalelerinin bir derlemesi olan kitap, kesinlikle okunmaya deger. Fakat yayinevinin bazi kavramlarin cevirilerinde ve detaylandirilmasinda karmasa yasadigini dusunuyorum. Farkli yerlerde ayni kavramlarin baska cevirileri mevcut. Kitapta yer yer yazim hatalari da goze carpiyor. Yayinevinin boyle bir derleme yapmasi muhtesem fakat yaklasim karisi ...more
Melencolia1
Kehf Suresi bağlamında söyledikleri mantıktaki ''korkuluk hatası''yla ifade edilebilir.

Jung, furqan(doğru-yanlış ayıt etme yetisi)ndan yoksun zihniyle kurgusal bir kıssa oluşturuyor, daha sonra sistemli bir karşılaştırmayla kendi kuramına malzeme çıkarıyor. Bazı Arapların bozuk tasavvuru ile Kuran'ın hakikatini karıştırıp sunuyor. Zaten insanların çoğu da böyle yaparlar. Doğrusu, ne Resulullah Hızır'a inanmıştır ne de Kuran O'ndan bahsetmiştir. Bazı Arapların gnostisizminin analizi Kuran'dan se
Albert
Mar 27, 2014 Albert rated it it was amazing
One of my favorites although it is not really that comprehensive. I just think it's entertaining light reading because you just read one of the articles at a time. I don't know if I'd recommend it really, as I feel it's slender and not as representative somehow, but maybe I should change my mind on that. I love it. I read the trickster article frequently.
Harish Prabhu
Nov 09, 2015 Harish Prabhu rated it it was amazing
This book was an out of the world experience. The the kind of stories and the kind of explanations it bears are phenomenal and sometimes even scary. I got nightmares on the day I had read this book before sleep. I have never before read a book with such a deep insight into the human mind itself.
Oliver Ho
Apr 28, 2014 Oliver Ho rated it it was ok
I read this mainly for the essay on the trickster, and as a bit of a refresher on Jung because it had been a long time since I'd read a selection of his work. Unfortunately, this collection was far too dated, dense and dry (alliteration!) to enjoy or even to offer more than a passing interest.
Duygu Ece
Mar 30, 2013 Duygu Ece rated it did not like it
Even though my psychology background is enough, I find this book badly hard to read. While picking up this slim volume I was hoping to find something useful like introduction to archetypal pedagogy; but there are no sufficient examples and even no mention to certain important archetypes.

Jung himself says while thera are limitless archetypes, many different types may overlap& combine at any given time. I am too, upset with the irrelevant selection of these four.

Nevertheless amazed by the cult
Huyen
Dec 22, 2007 Huyen rated it liked it
Errr... I must say this is a very heavy read I did finish the book but couldn't retain much. As a polymath in mythology, psychology, religion and philosophy, Jung offers an (insanely difficult?) exciting and novel analysis of the fundamental unconscious foundation that we as human beings all share. They are: mother, rebirth, spirit and trickster. Surveying their role in myth, fairytale and scripture, Jung challenges the way we perceive ourselves. However, if you fall asleep when reading this bo ...more
David
Jul 07, 2015 David rated it liked it
Four Archetypes is an abridged volume of Jung's work, The Archetypes and the Collective Unconscious. It can serve only purposes of review in my opinion. While it is a welcome refresher, anyone who wants to sample Jung (and almost everyone will be sampling due to Jung's extensive bibliography) would be better off going with Psychology of the Unconscious, Psychological Types, and the above mentioned work.
Khenpo Gurudas
Quite disappointing. Because the text is largely comprised of sections of other, more exhaustive works, there is a continuity missing. There is little in the way of insightful explanation of archetypal pedagogy.

These four archetypes, and much of the text for that matter, seem to have been selected as a bit of intended marketing to new age types, rather than for those serious students of psychology.
Jordan Kinsey
Oops...I finished this book several weeks ago but forgot to review it.
K
May 10, 2008 K rated it liked it
Although I like Jungian psychoanalysis, I just don't care for the style this was written in. I am sure it is because my background isn't in science, but literature.
Matt
Dec 14, 2013 Matt rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: school
I only read the Trickster one. Jung was a mentalist. And I think much if what he claims about trickster is plain wrong. But still, food for thought.
Jon Ungerland
Jul 30, 2007 Jon Ungerland rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: essential
Shelves:
great insight into four of the most important aspects of jung's theory.
Brian Ervin
Dec 20, 2012 Brian Ervin rated it really liked it
Lead me into an entire series of archetype writings.
M. İlknur
M. İlknur is currently reading it
Feb 09, 2016
Hdw
Hdw marked it as to-read
Feb 08, 2016
Carlos Korompis
Carlos Korompis rated it really liked it
Feb 08, 2016
  • The Feminine in Fairy Tales
  • The Middle Passage: From Misery to Meaning in Midlife (Studies in Jungian Psychology by Jungian Analysts, 59)
  • The Pregnant Virgin: A Process of Psychological Transformation (Studies in Jungian Psychology By Jungian Analysts, 21)
  • The Sacred Prostitute: Eternal Aspect of the Feminine (Studies in Jungian Psychology by Jungian Analysts, 32)
  • The Dogma of Christ & Other Essays on Religion, Psychology & Culture
  • The Origins and History of Consciousness
  • Ego and Archetype: Individuation and the Religious Function of the Psyche
  • The Dream and the Underworld
  • The Gnostic Jung and the Seven Sermons to the Dead
  • Awakening the Heroes Within: Twelve Archetypes to Help Us Find Ourselves and Transform Our World
  • The Heroine's Journey: Woman's Quest for Wholeness
  • Breakdown of Will
  • The Psychology of C.G. Jung
  • C.G. Jung and Hermann Hesse: A Book of Two Friendships
  • Gestalt Therapy
  • Forgetting things (Pocket Penguin 70s #31)
  • An Introduction to Jung's Psychology
  • The Doctor and the Soul: From Psychotherapy to Logotherapy
Carl Gustav Jung (/jʊŋ/; German: [ˈkarl ˈɡʊstaf jʊŋ]; 26 July 1875 – 6 June 1961), often referred to as C. G. Jung, was a Swiss psychiatrist and psychotherapist who founded analytical psychology. Jung proposed and developed the concepts of extraversion and introversion; archetypes, and the collective unconscious. His work has been influential in psychiatry and in the study of religion, philosophy, ...more
More about C.G. Jung...