IP Man: Portrait of a Kung Fu Master

IP Man: Portrait of a Kung Fu Master

3.8 of 5 stars 3.80  ·  rating details  ·  46 ratings  ·  9 reviews
A Master s gift to the world is his life. By seeing his life or at least by seeing the portrait of his life as painted in the stories of those who knew him, a Master s life becomes a sketch of a path to Mastery.

From stories shared by his son, this book paints a portrait of the famous Wing Chun Grand Master, Ip Man, providing a set of fifteen principles as a guide to maste

Published January 3rd 2001 by Cedar Fort

John Hennessy
This was a Christmas present given to me by a student in 2010. The book is extremely good as a photo book. There are some excellent photos here of the modern Wing Chun Master.

I think very few people deserve the title 'Master', but Ip Man was one of them. The films, Ip Man, Ip Man 2, and a Legend is Born: Ip Man, were all good films.. Even if some artistic license was taken with the movies, I echo the point others made that maybe you could learn more from the films than this book.

I would love to...more
Bernie Gourley
Ip Man led an interesting life. The master of Wing Chun Kung Fu lived through tumultuous times that included the Boxer Rebellion, the Sino-Japanese War, and China's Communist revolution. After the Japanese occupation he served for a time as a police chief. Coming from a wealthy family, he experienced a riches to rags fall when the Communists took over. He had to move from his home in Foshan to Hong Kong. His use of kung fu was not restricted to the training hall, but, rather, included a few real...more
Megha Singh
Simplicity at its best only if you know who is ip man.Though the book does not talk about in-depth information of wing chun and IP man but small life lessons on wing chun and Chinese philosophy is beautifully expressed. It is probably the only book on ip man I know please suggest me other books if there are any.
Z Z
A nice, simple window into the life of Ip Man. This book is written in very plain English which also seems a bit child-like but you can still catch small pieces of the man between the stories. Also, it seemed like the author was writing this specifically towards someone to solidify his opinions, which takes away from what I was hoping was more about Ip Man. Still worth the time if you practice Ving Tsun.

Z
Nate
I thought this book was going to be a more indepth historical look at Ip Man and his influence on Kung Fu. Instead it is a strange mix of "kung fu lessons" with ancedotes of Ip Man's life and teachings. I found it interested but I wanted more history about the man himself and was left with little. I feel I gained more understanding from watching the two films loosly based on his life, Ip Man and Ip Man 2
Amin
i hoped to find much more about Ip man, when his son is writing the book.
I didn't noticed any word which make a difference between Ip man and an ordinary good man!!
The writer is a Wing Chun Grand master, so he could look at Ip man's life using Wing Chun point of view...
i didn't satisfied...
Alice
This book is ok. It doesn't capture his life much. I feel like it's a version of what Ip Ching remembers his father as. Wish he talked more about his family, brother, and mother.
Patrick
I love this book and I also love the movie it is a good book and a good movie if you like martialarts then you'll love this book OMG!!!! I love it
Frank Mongelluzzo
Great biography on Grandmaster Ip Man with vey nice pictures written by his son. However my only flaw is not one single mention of Bruce Lee.
Michael
Michael marked it as to-read
Jun 12, 2014
Jerome Jooste
Jerome Jooste marked it as to-read
May 02, 2014
Edvex
Edvex marked it as to-read
Apr 27, 2014
Dinh Trieu
Dinh Trieu marked it as to-read
Apr 20, 2014
Ryan Railey
Ryan Railey marked it as to-read
Apr 18, 2014
Cass Campbell
Cass Campbell marked it as to-read
Apr 15, 2014
Luke
Luke marked it as to-read
Apr 03, 2014
David Wrobel
David Wrobel marked it as to-read
Mar 22, 2014
Mac Lamina
Mac Lamina marked it as to-read
Feb 26, 2014