Start by marking “IP Man: Portrait of a Kung Fu Master” as Want to Read:
IP Man: Portrait of a Kung Fu Master

IP Man: Portrait of a Kung Fu Master

3.81 of 5 stars 3.81  ·  rating details  ·  58 ratings  ·  10 reviews
A Master s gift to the world is his life. By seeing his life or at least by seeing the portrait of his life as painted in the stories of those who knew him, a Master s life becomes a sketch of a path to Mastery.

From stories shared by his son, this book paints a portrait of the famous Wing Chun Grand Master, Ip Man, providing a set of fifteen principles as a guide to maste

Published January 3rd 2001 by Cedar Fort

To ask other readers questions about IP Man, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about IP Man

John Hennessy
This was a Christmas present given to me by a student in 2010. The book is extremely good as a photo book. There are some excellent photos here of the modern Wing Chun Master.

I think very few people deserve the title 'Master', but Ip Man was one of them. The films, Ip Man, Ip Man 2, and a Legend is Born: Ip Man, were all good films.. Even if some artistic license was taken with the movies, I echo the point others made that maybe you could learn more from the films than this book.

I would love to
Bernie Gourley
Ip Man led an interesting life. The master of Wing Chun Kung Fu lived through tumultuous times that included the Boxer Rebellion, the Sino-Japanese War, and China's Communist revolution. After the Japanese occupation he served for a time as a police chief. Coming from a wealthy family, he experienced a riches to rags fall when the Communists took over. He had to move from his home in Foshan to Hong Kong. His use of kung fu was not restricted to the training hall, but, rather, included a few real ...more
Eric Evhs Le
Many know the famous Ip man as the master of Bruce Lee, but this book is written to show more. Before known as the teacher of the greatest martial artist of all time, he was the greatest martial artist. Not only does this book tell the relationship of Ip Man and Bruce Lee, but tells the fighting legacy of the honorable Ip Man.
Megha Singh
Simplicity at its best only if you know who is ip man.Though the book does not talk about in-depth information of wing chun and IP man but small life lessons on wing chun and Chinese philosophy is beautifully expressed. It is probably the only book on ip man I know please suggest me other books if there are any.
Z Z
A nice, simple window into the life of Ip Man. This book is written in very plain English which also seems a bit child-like but you can still catch small pieces of the man between the stories. Also, it seemed like the author was writing this specifically towards someone to solidify his opinions, which takes away from what I was hoping was more about Ip Man. Still worth the time if you practice Ving Tsun.

Z
Nate
I thought this book was going to be a more indepth historical look at Ip Man and his influence on Kung Fu. Instead it is a strange mix of "kung fu lessons" with ancedotes of Ip Man's life and teachings. I found it interested but I wanted more history about the man himself and was left with little. I feel I gained more understanding from watching the two films loosly based on his life, Ip Man and Ip Man 2
Amin
i hoped to find much more about Ip man, when his son is writing the book.
I didn't noticed any word which make a difference between Ip man and an ordinary good man!!
The writer is a Wing Chun Grand master, so he could look at Ip man's life using Wing Chun point of view...
i didn't satisfied...
Alice
This book is ok. It doesn't capture his life much. I feel like it's a version of what Ip Ching remembers his father as. Wish he talked more about his family, brother, and mother.
Patrick
I love this book and I also love the movie it is a good book and a good movie if you like martialarts then you'll love this book OMG!!!! I love it
Frank Mongelluzzo
Great biography on Grandmaster Ip Man with vey nice pictures written by his son. However my only flaw is not one single mention of Bruce Lee.
Sabin
Sabin marked it as to-read
Aug 23, 2015
Paul
Paul marked it as to-read
Aug 13, 2015
Jennifer Seger
Jennifer Seger marked it as to-read
Aug 09, 2015
Tristan
Tristan marked it as to-read
Jul 30, 2015
Thomas Patterson
Thomas Patterson marked it as to-read
Jun 30, 2015
Bianco Corletto
Bianco Corletto is currently reading it
May 31, 2015
Rah
Rah is currently reading it
May 22, 2015
Ahmed
Ahmed marked it as to-read
May 07, 2015
Chris Bloss Bogarin
Chris Bloss Bogarin marked it as to-read
Apr 26, 2015
Higor Hatano
Higor Hatano marked it as to-read
Apr 20, 2015
Micah W.
Micah W. marked it as to-read
Mar 31, 2015
Soumavo Ghosh
Soumavo Ghosh marked it as to-read
Mar 21, 2015
Osama
Osama added it
Feb 10, 2015
Andrea Bordelon
Andrea Bordelon marked it as to-read
Feb 08, 2015
Steven Lownes
Steven Lownes marked it as to-read
Jan 28, 2015