Start by marking “The Weather of the Pacific Northwest” as Want to Read:
The Weather of the Pacific Northwest

The Weather of the Pacific Northwest

4.09 of 5 stars 4.09  ·  rating details  ·  108 ratings  ·  18 reviews
The Pacific Northwest experiences the most varied and fascinating weather in the United States, including world-record winter snows, the strongest non-tropical storms in the nation, and shifts from desert to rain forest in a matter of miles. Local weather features dominate the meteorological landscape, from the Puget Sound convergence zone and wind surges along the Washing ...more
Published October 14th 2008 by University of Washington Press

To ask other readers questions about The Weather of the Pacific Northwest, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Weather of the Pacific Northwest

Elaine Nelson
Cliff Mass is the go-to guy for weather in this region; I've been reading and enjoying his blog for a while. This book is an amazing compilation of just about everything weather in the Pacific NW. Learned lots and lots about how our geology affects the weather, as well as some good basic meteorology, the physics of clouds, etc. Has a great chapter on understanding what you see in the sky, and doing some amateur prediction of your own.

Fascinating history, too, with lots of the disaster storm stu
Adam
<3 C.Mass radio spot and blog. His book? Not so much. Descriptions are confusing, vague, and repetitive. Gives greater care describing badass storms of the last century than how the weather works. This leads me to believe that either weather understanding is still under the heading of magic, or the math and science rapidly escalates beyond what the average npr listener can handle. Tho just as handsome, not as talented as Gauss; yet don't mind being thrown big maths. It's cool broh, I can wade ...more
Sheila
The Pacific Northwest is not simply cloudy and rainy, but rather peppered with microclimates, as Cliff Mass will show you. He does a fine job of illustrating the differences between the coastal, valley and inland weather of Washington and Oregon. Very little is said about British Columbia or the coast of northern California, however. As others have mentioned the book does feel a little dense in certain parts, but I still found it more accessible than some other books on weather that I've read.
Leah Wener-Fligner
AWESOME. Occasional overload (disclosure: I am an atmospheric, thermodynamics, and physics layperson), but always came away understanding. Nice combining of specific examples of general weather phenomena.

And my favorite part: After introducing general atmospheric and oceanic stuff, and how our local water and mountains etc influence them, there are special interest chapters. How does this all mesh with global climate change? Weather reporting? And suppose, as a layperson, you do not want to loo
S. Ben
This book is pretty much a must-read for anybody who lives in the Seattle area (or, to a slightly lesser degree, Portland) and who is at all interested in the weather.

Mass writes for the interested layperson, appearing to assume a non-specialized high school education. It looks and reads something like an introductory college text, which is understandable given that Mass is a professor of atmospheric science at UW. Also understandable is the book's focus on Washington and particularly the Seattl
Nikky
Cliff Mass is the coolest
Blanden2000
Cliff Mass explains in elegant layman's language the facts of Pacific Northwest weather patterns. Now I can see the challenges and realities of trying to predict the unpredictable. In many instances, PNW weather prediction is akin to a 'blind man'(lack of adequate radar coverage) trying to predict and describe the exact color of an vain woman's business attire for next Monday to a 'deaf' person (a TV viewer who flunked statistics) in short paragraphed sound bites....
Babs
Hands down this is one of the most interesting and informative book I've read. And, being an avid observer of our NW weather anomalies, I now have a basic understand of the why. Thank you Dr. Cliff Mass.

Monty
As a Seattle resident I especially enjoyed reading the sections of this 2008 book about severe and serious weather events that have occurred historically, including some of which have impacted me directly. I scanned the more scientific sections and focused more on looking at the photos.
Erika Wagner
Great insights into the normal and abnormal weather of Washington and Oregon. Plenty of stories to keep it from sounding too much like at atmospheric science textbook. Could definitely use a bit of a editor's diet to trim its girth though.
Cassandralynn
If I could pick a graduate Professor, it would be this guy. He studied under Carl Sagan! If you live in the northwest and like weird weather anomalies, read this book and check out his blog!
Tim
Does what it says on the label. An excellent overview for nerds and general interest alike. Decent coverage of both large-scale and small-scale phenomena.
Chrisbaker811
Wonder why the weather man can never get it right in the northwest, this book explains the complexities of the weather in the northwest.
Jeremiah
A great overview of Northwest weather features. A good read for people who think it just rains all the time up here.
Kesavan Shanmugam
Now that I am not reading to get grades, I am truly enjoying learning about geography and weather.
Janet
Apr 20, 2009 Janet marked it as to-read
Also from Marsha and Ken---I don't think I'll ever understand/get used to the weather here!
wac
A good overview of local weather phenomena.
Seligne
Great illustrations. A bit repetitive.
Kme_17
Kme_17 marked it as to-read
Feb 26, 2015
Jesse Taylor
Jesse Taylor marked it as to-read
Feb 24, 2015
Eric Johnson
Eric Johnson marked it as to-read
Feb 21, 2015
Kate
Kate marked it as to-read
Jan 08, 2015
  • Full-Rip 9.0: The Next Big Earthquake in the Pacific Northwest
  • Plants of the Pacific Northwest Coast: Washington, Oregon, British Columbia, and Alaska
  • Flotsametrics and the Floating World: How One Man's Obsession with Runaway Sneakers and Rubber Ducks Revolutionized Ocean Science
  • The Riverkeepers: Two Activists Fight to Reclaim Our Environment as a Basic Human Right
  • The Final Forest: The Battle for the Last Great Trees of the Pacific Northwest
  • Superdove: How the Pigeon Took Manhattan ... And the World
  • Auto Repair For Dummies
  • The Weather of the Future
  • The Good Rain: Across Time & Terrain in the Pacific Northwest
  • The Collector: David Douglas and the Natural History of the Northwest
  • Pugetopolis: A Mossback Takes on Growth Addicts, Weather Wimps, and the Myth of Seattle Nice
  • The Very Small Home: Japanese Ideas for Living Well in Limited Space
  • The Innovator's Cookbook: Essentials for Inventing What Is Next
  • Electric Circuits
  • Medicinal Plants of the Pacific West
  • Winter Hours: Prose, Prose Poems, and Poems
  • Waiting on a Train: The Embattled Future of Passenger Rail Service--A Year Spent Riding across America
  • Gifts of the Crow: How Perception, Emotion, and Thought Allow Smart Birds to Behave Like Humans

“A new generation of satellites carries highly sensitive radars that can measure the size of waves on the water surface. Making use of the relationship between wind speed and the amplitude of small surface waves, a wind-speed map...was created.” 1 likes