Start by marking “Over in the Arctic: Where the Cold Winds Blow” as Want to Read:
Over in the Arctic: Where the Cold Winds Blow

Over in the Arctic: Where the Cold Winds Blow (Over In ... series)

4.01  ·  Rating Details  ·  93 Ratings  ·  15 Reviews
Over in the Arctic, the snow goose honks and the wolf howls. Children too will joyfully honk and howl while they count the baby animals and sing to the tune of Over in the Meadow. And the illustrations - all done in cut paper - vividly convey the dramatic landscape of the Arctic.
Published September 1st 2008 by Dawn Publications (CA)

To ask other readers questions about Over in the Arctic, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Over in the Arctic

Karen
Sep 06, 2013 Karen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My four-year-old son picked this book out from the library this week.

We love Marianne Berkes at our house. Especially Marianne Berkes' "Over in..." books. We have almost all of them. But not the newest one, "Over in the River", or this one. You might think, though, that the "Ocean", the "Jungle", the "Forest" and "Australia" would be enough. Apparently not.

Like all of the "Over in..." books, this one can be sung to the tune of "Over in the Meadow", so it is pretty easy to fall into the rhythm
Erin
Cute counting book with delightful pictures of arctic animals. I read this for my storytime group and the kids enjoyed doing the actions along with the baby animals. I also like how in the back of the book Berkes gives additional information on each animal as well as tips for using the book.
Lindsay Michael
I enjoyed this book because not only was it helping kids with counting and numbers as well as reading, but the book also gave facts about all the animals that were in it. So I feel that this book helps children that read it in more ways than one.
Vicki
Jan 17, 2014 Vicki rated it it was amazing
A great book to share new vocabulary such as artic, tundra, etc. Fun to sing and in addition the book is a counting book, which the children loved guessing what number came next. A bit of an I spy book with additional creatures hiding in the illustrations, great for a one on one read. Of course very repetitive text.
Mar 21, 2014 Laura rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ari-s-books
My 3 yo. daughter loves this series of books, and she's particularly a fan of the "find the hidden animal" feature.
Jonathan
This is my least favorite of the Over in the Meadow derivatives created by Marianne Berkes. Sometimes the text tries too hard to stick to the "meadow" theme, and some of the rhyme choices are a stretch. The illustrations, while interesting in their own right, don't achieve the level of mastery and fascination that Jeanette Canyon had in her collaborations with the same author. On the plus side, the book presents a surprisingly through overview of arctic animals and includes enrichment materials ...more
Meg McGregor
Sep 05, 2013 Meg McGregor rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-to-lexi
Absolutely wonderfully painted drawings and witty text take your little ones to the Arctic to watch the animals there in their natural environment!

It makes me want to go to the Arctic more every time I read and sing this book to my little ones!
Angie
Oct 08, 2008 Angie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: kate - for the IPY list
A great cold weather version of "Over in the Meadow"! This would be great for a cold weather storytime.
this book also has some great information about the Arctic in the back and some extension activities from the author and illustrator.
Teri
Mar 03, 2012 Teri rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Super fun book-to-sing with lots of extras--you learn the names of the baby artic animals, you find hidden animals on each page, there is a little write-up in the back about each animal. GREAT!
Missy
Mar 23, 2012 Missy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: little-guy-books
My four-year-old never lost interest, and went back to make sure he found all the hidden bonus animals. I appreciated that the rhymes weren't too forced and klunky. Informative!
Dayna
Aug 07, 2009 Dayna rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrensbooks
Cute counting book with illustrations all created using layers of cut paper. It was fun to go back and find all the hidden characters. Written in rhyme.
Karyn
The rhythm does not flow the way the original Down in the Meadow rhyme does. Beautiful pictures and extra fun with hidden animals.
Trace
Jul 10, 2011 Trace rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s
One of our new favorite books! Teaches children numbers 1-10 in a catchy, rhyming fashion. Beautiful illustrations, too.
Tina Bartholoma
"arctic animals, counting, told to song ""over in the meadow,"" fact pages in back"
Denise
Denise marked it as to-read
Aug 05, 2016
Khris
Khris rated it really liked it
Jul 28, 2016
Katie
Katie rated it it was amazing
Jul 20, 2016
Carrie
Carrie rated it really liked it
Jul 19, 2016
Tia Lucas
Tia Lucas rated it it was ok
Jul 11, 2016
Anders Friesen
Anders Friesen marked it as to-read
Jul 04, 2016
Beverly
Beverly rated it liked it
Jun 20, 2016
Jacalyn Pearce
Jacalyn Pearce marked it as to-read
Jun 19, 2016
Wendy
Wendy marked it as to-read
Jun 03, 2016
Melina Simpson
Melina Simpson rated it it was amazing
May 22, 2016
Bookshelf Study
Bookshelf Study marked it as to-read
May 05, 2016
Elaine Hagen
Elaine Hagen rated it it was amazing
Apr 07, 2016
Anne
Anne rated it it was amazing
Apr 03, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

Over In ... series (6 books)
  • Over in the Ocean: In a Coral Reef
  • Over in Australia: Amazing Animals Down Under
  • Over in the Jungle: A Rainforest Rhyme (Sharing Nature with Children Books)
  • Over in a River: Flowing Out to the Sea