Start by marking “The Homing” as Want to Read:
The Homing

John Saul

The Homing

3.63 of 5 stars 3.63  ·  rating details  ·  2,871 ratings  ·  90 reviews
Karen, a young widow, and her daughters are returning to her hometown, where Karen plans to marry her high school sweetheart. But her bliss soon turns to terror, because something has gone horribly wrong with Mother Nature in peaceful Pleasant Valley. An unearthly swarm is possessing the bodies and minds of youngsters. From the author of Guardian. HC: Fawcett.
Published 1995 by Fawcett (first published 1994)

To ask other readers questions about The Homing, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Homing

Heather
It was okay. I felt like it left a lot of questions unanswered, though. For example: What happened to the infected coyote? Why did Julie get all distended and disgusting? Was it just because she was the queen, and all queens of insects are bigger than the others? Why was she the queen? Was it b/c she was infected first? Why were the infected chicks always naked, but the dudes weren't? If the other girl (Sarah?) would've gotten to the group, would've she been another queen, or something else b/c ...more
Dustin Crazy little brown owl
This book is very special to me because John Saul was my first experience with a horror novel. The Homing is one of the first John Saul books I read, which I found when the bookmobile would visit my town once a month. I would stay up late reading these books and then be so scared that it was hard to sleep. I have had fond memories of this novel over the years and I'm happy to be able to re-read it. I remembered many of the scenes and I had a lot of fun.

The most annoying thing to me in the writin
Leah Polcar
This is more a 2.5 -- it isn't that the book is poorly written or badly plotted -- I found myself finishing it even when I discovered the subject was not interesting to me in the least, but I feel sort of mislead by the description (as it appears on the book) and I found the premise rather stupid.
Mikesawin Sawin
Well. This is a book with a lot of writing in it. I've had a lot of folks recommend John Saul's stuff to me over the years, so when I saw this at a garage sale for 50 cents, I picked it up.

Not a great book. And it's not for the squeamish. I will say that the writing style is very fluid, and I was able to finish this in an afternoon. I didn't really care for the characters that much, and I wasn't invested in the story, either.

But the author keeps things moving, and the result is what I call a "
Jakob
The purpose of The Homing is to entertain. This is evident in telling of a fictional story. John Saul presents all the classical components, including setting, plot, and conflict. This book was written as a narration. It is told from a third person omniscient perspective. The theme is not to let personal trauma turn towards others. If the antagonist had sought a way to properly handle their emotional issues and impulses, the biggest conflict in this story would be a love triangle.

I appreciate th
Marie Bjork
this book is hard to put down
Kelly Robson
I read this after a friend of mine recommended it. I honestly didn't think I'd like it because I hate bees and other creepy crawlies. I was surprised to find that I couldn't stop reading it even though it made me feel creeped out at times, I really enjoyed it. John Saul isn't as easy to get a hold of in England but we have loads of charity shops so I will keep on looking to see if I can find anymore of his work.
Kyle Morris
Scary.. and imaginative!! This is the one that I liked most of Saul's.

Love all of John Saul's books. He focuses on teenagers, at least all the books of his that I've read were that way. I empathized with his lead characters because I always feel like an outsider, which his characters always wind up being. Saul mixes it all up with some Sci-fi to boot.
Deana M
If you do not like bugs or the thought of swarms of bugs, do not read this book. The only reason I finished this book, is because once I am committed to something I see it through. This book was disturbing on so many levels.
Cataline
I really enjoyed the plotting of the book, the immense detail and characters. I must say however that I was extremely disappointed in the ending, but hey that's just me others may find it the only solution writable.
Hatchetgabby
Very good,fast paced,the more i read the more nerve racking it got.I'm a huge bug lover and even i wanted to scream GAH! KILL IT! KILL IT!
Tracy
I would give this book a 3 1/2.The beginning is slow but it picks up in the middle. Easy, quick read.
Katrin
Very creepy! Made me shiver.
Rissy
G.C. Neff
This was the last of John Saul's books that I read. Until this book, I had enjoyed them cover to cover. However, the ending of this one left me thinking that the continuity from earlier in the book had failed. I'd say more than that, but wouldn't want to ruin the book for someone else who might not spot this glitch.
Wendy F
I've read a lot of John Saul books and liked them to varying degrees, but not this one. I hate to give a bad review, but by the time I finished, I wished I hadn't bothered. I kept waiting for it to get better and redeem itself, or at least answer some questions, but it never did.
Sal Dinapoli
Particularly eerie after reading a recent National Geographic story about parasites that turn their hosts into zombies
Kingsley Adrian
Left a lot of loose ends at the end but it was a really creepy read though Saul knows how to be formulaic well.
Amber
This was a fun book to power read through. It's not the best thing I've ever read, but it was entertaining!
Andrea Zsigmond
A stroll down memory lane...reading horror novels on summer vacation. Not as much fun as it used to be :)
Kelly
I used to be a HUGE fan of John Saul back in middle and high school. So I am slightly disappointed to find that I'm not nearly as enthused by his writing today, as I go back and reread a few of my old faves. The Homing was just so-so. It was too long and repetitive for my taste, but not terrible. I still want to reread a few of Saul's others, just for old time's sake... especially The Unloved, as I remember it being dark and creepy and was my favorite book at the time!
Ashley
This was the first Saul book that I read and I thought that it was pretty creepy. The main thing that stuck with me after all these years was the girl unable to vaccumm so she swept the entire room as the bugs in her head couldn't handle the noise. (Note to others: This excuse doesn't go far with your mom in real life and actually gets your fussed at and told to stay out of your brother's books.)
Other than that "scene", there is not much that I recall about the novel except that I like it quite
Lena C.
Loved this story and the way they use the bees.
Tammy
This book was disappointing for a John Saul story. I'm really stretching it by giving it a three star. It took me so long to read it because it was so boring and didn't hold my interest that much. I don't like to start a book and then not finish it. If I did this would have been one of them. There were some good parts so it's not a total disaster but I was expecting more coming from John Saul. Maybe if I would have payed more attention in science class and understood more about insects the story ...more
Michelle
Creepy....I loved it
Christoph Segers
Goede personageschets, maar een ietwat slordig plot waardoor het wat afgehaspeld overkomt naar het einde toe. Het stoort me dat er heel wat mensen het boek maar één ster geven omdat het 'griezelig' is, maar dat weet je op voorhand: Saul schrijft nu eenmaal, zoals Herbert, horrorboeken. En dat is het, niets meer, maar zeker ook niets minder. Goed binnen zijn genre, maar in tegenstelling tot het betere King-werk, ook enkel goed binnen dat genre. Perfect leesvoer als je de griep hebt in de zetel on ...more
Tanya Eby
I don't usually get to narrate horror titles, so this was a delightful change of pace for me. It's creepy and crawly and so much fun (the way that scary clowns and creepy dolls are fun). It's filled with bugs, bees, mayhem, and possessed teenagers and other twists and turns. What a fun little piece to get your adrenaline going. I hate bugs so I was trying very hard not to scratch and wiggle while narrating this. I (mostly) succeeded. Had a blast reading this.
Allison
Not terribly great to my disappointment. It had a really interesting concept though. I also didn't find myself thinking the book was obvious and easy to figure out.
Not my favorite John Saul book. If I had to guess, I'd say it was an earlier release.
I wouldn't say "Don't read this". It was worth my time. But I'm not going to run up and down the streets recommending it to people.
Debra
This is definitely a pretty creepy book, but the horror scenes were most graphic at the beginning. I don't like Stephen king because I think his novels are too graphic, but I enjoyed this book. It was tense, and a quick read. I kept wanting to see what would happen next.

If you don't like bugs, though, stay away!
Kahshan
It was an alright read. It was entertaining but the other John Saul books were (much) better.
The insects in this book was a great addition. The ending seemed to be forced and I did not really felt close to most of the chacracters. Molly on the other hand seems like a cute little sister everybody wants to have :)
  • Magic Terror
  • Winter Moon
  • Acceptable Risk
  • Among the Missing
  • The Night Church
  • The Association
  • Icebound
  • Omnibus: Skeleton Crew / Different Seasons
  • In Plain Sight (The Ivory Nation)
  • The Eyes of Darkness
  • The Mask
John Saul was born in Pasadena, California on February 25, 1942, and grew up in Whittier where he graduated from Whittier High School in 1959. He attended several colleges—Antioch, in Ohio, Cerritos, in Norwalk, California, Montana State University and San Francisco State College, variously majoring in anthropology, liberal arts, and theater, but never obtaining a degree.
After leaving college, he